Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK wake up Singles...I notice this section of the forum is very silent. I have a
question for all of you singles. I am single and thinking of buying a house.
I am living in an apartment right now. My question: would you consider
buying a 2 bed 1 bath less than 1100 square foot house?
I am single and childless and wondering if it would be wise to do so. There are several
of these types of houses in my area and they are VERY reasonable.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I grew up w/ 4 people in a house at about 800 sq. ft no basement 1 bath. W/ a lg. yd and a 3 season rm. We managed quite fine. At 49 I can assume no kids coming.
Previously,resale value would have been questionable. But it is trending now to go smaller. (not single so maybe i shouldn't have answered). I had always thought of going smaller once the kids left before the economy tanked.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I live in a 2 bed, 2 bath apt with attached garage and right at 1100 SF. Personally, I would prefer more space. This is OK...I can deal with it, but I would really like to be able to spread out a bit more. Even if the 2 bedrooms were bigger it would be better. I think some of it depends on what you like to do. Do you entertain? I know that here having even 2-3 others over for dinner makes for a crowd. What about outdoor living/entertaining space? That's something I consider as well, since I like being outside in the spring/fall months. (I'm in No Texas, too - July/August indoors!). I'm currently looking at houses to rent when my lease is up and I'm looking in the 1600 to 1800 SF range.

Reactions: larabelle

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Frugal Warrior...LOL definitely no kids in the future...:lolpoint:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Suebee.
No I do not entertain very often (like maybe once or twice a year) but I do so dearly love spending time outside (gardening etc). I completely agree that July+ Aug I spend indoors.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
DH and I live in a 7-800 sf house with full basement. Comfortable for two, plus we have a hobby (quilting) that takes up some room. It would be more comfy without the quilting stuff. We do have 2 baths.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Josan. A basement would not be an option for me as there are very few of those here in north Texas. I used to live up North and had one...and yes I miss it!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
My question: would you consider
buying a 2 bed 1 bath less than 1100 square foot house?
I am single and childless and wondering if it would be wise to do so. There are several
of these types of houses in my area and they are VERY reasonable.
GO FOR IT........if the price is right and you can afford it!!

What is the sq. ft. you are living in now? If about the same..........or little bigger, you will love it.

Not too many 2 bdrm. apts. in this area have even 1000 sq. ft.

Would I consider buying one?............no......my house that I am living in now is more sq. ft............so I would need the same if I moved.

You have to do what is right for you..............I am looking too.........and looking at the same or more sq. ft. Some good prices out there!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Frugal Granny!
The apartment I am currently in is REALLY small and so this would definitely be an increase in space.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't see why it would be a problem, especially since you aren't downsizing. I think it might be a little difficult to sell a house that size in the future, but if you aren't concerned with that aspect, go for it. A small house has a lot of advantages, while a large house is typically bought because people either have a lot of stuff they want to put out, or they have a family and want some quiet space.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We are a family of five in a 1024 sq ft house with two bedrooms and one bath. We also have a little more than an acre of property. DH's shop is actually bigger than our house. It worked for us when the guys were small. Now, they are all adult sized and the house shrank. I could totally see this house working for a single person or a couple. Actually, this house was built for a retired couple.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not single either but thought I'd share a thought with you:

2 bed 1 bath less than 1100 square foot house
If the mortgage payment is anywhere similar to your rent + fee's for your apt and the LAYOUT works in your favour then yes, I'd seriously consider buying it. More times then not, its not the # of rooms and sq ft but more about the layout. The house could be more then what you have now but if its not functional for you, it could be free and still useless.

Consider your current apt's layout and functionality and what you like and dislike about it. Then think about the house and compare it. Would you benefit more from the house's layout? Would you be willing to spend a lot of time indoors there etc?

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I think it might be a little difficult to sell a house that size in the future,.
I don't think that will necessarily be the case..............was just reading that a TON of baby boomers are going to be 'downsizing' and will want a smaller home. Some of the new homes, in one area I have been looking in are close to that size.......has surprised me.
Might depend on the area of the country you are in-------and like someone else said..........the layout is the key. That sq. ft for a two bedroom isn't bad.........means that at least they weren't calling CLOSETS bedrooms.

Larab---------be sure you have allowed for HOME OWNER EXPENSES when figuring your budget! STUFF HAPPENS...........and when you own it----YOU fix it!!
Plus there is always the little things you want to do to a house when you move in.............to create YOUR NEST! curtains.......drapes......etc.---they can be done cheap........but can still cost 'some'..........

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm not single either, but I'll weigh in on your question. I've lived small and big.... and i prefer big. Why? I find a larger home easier to clean. Stuff in a smaller home is so crowded. I know.... I know.... get rid of "stuff"....
But we wanted room to entertain, room to host in-home Bible studies, room to host overnight guests, room for our hobbies, etc. Our current home is about 700 sq. ft. smaller than our last home, but the layout makes it seem spacious. Our current home is 1800 sq. ft., plus a full finished basement. I know that someday it will be too much for an old lady to keep up, but meanwhile I recommend getting as large a house as you can afford and as you can feel comfy with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
go small

I have to disagree with the previous poster on going large. I vote go small.
We have a 586 sq ft house with a basement (which we barely ever use). The picture is my avatar. I love love love this house.

It has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath and was built in 1938. It is just me and my husband which is perfect - last year we had extended family in the basement and that was too much (2 adults 2 toddlers) but only since we had to share the kitchen and she would always wait til I came home to start cokking when she was home all day and could have cooked while I was at work. Which I found irratating because even after I talked to her about it she just kept doing whatever she wanted.

Best part of small houses - fast and easy to clean and lower utlitites

I find that because I don't have tons and tons of space I don't accumulate tons of stuff and I know where everything is at all times

one word of warning my neighbors like buying stuff and their home feels extrmely small while our house is the exact same size and feels spacious. I even had people comment on how surprised they were at how spacious it feels.

if you have large furniture it will feel small - my neighbors have a sofa & love seat combo and you can barley walk - we have 1 sofa and and a rocking chair and have tons of room. if you have alot of stuff that you can't part with I would not suggest small house but if you are open to the options or have smaller sized stuff - it will be awesome

small houses are selling like hotcakes here - many people are very tired of huge electric bills for rooms they never go into - the house next to mine was only on the market for 5 days before it was bought and we have had 3 new families move into out neighborhood in the last 2 months (the reasonings for the vacancies were old people deaths in all 4 instances). Plus houses were very reasonable and taxes the same.

best of luck to you
cat

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cadamsgis yes I have started getting rid of large furniture (full size couch, a couple of extra Living room chairs).

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ForHisGlory...my max would be 1200....any more and I begin to feel overwhelmed!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also not single, but chiming in :/ ... Hubbs and I bought our current home 3 1/2 yrs ago, I purposely looked for a small home, the sq ft of our house is 958 sq ft, that does not include the attached garage, nor the attached workshop. Just the home, the garage does contain my freezer, and the work shop contains hubbs :) lol but seriously, if it was not attached when we bought we would have built him one. the house is 3 bdrm 1 bath. I love that I can go from one end of it to the other in about an hour, and EVERYTHING is clean. But it is all about you, and what makes YOU happy.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frugal Franny you mean I can not call my 24 hour apartment maintenance crew to fix my house if something occurs??? LOL...yep I am keeping in mind that "crap" happens and i will be responsible...

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Oooh have you thought about all the hidden extra's? Taxes, fees for garbage, new bills that you may not have had to pay separately now ie water, hydro, cable etc and toys to maintain your home - lawn care/gardening tools, shovel/snow blower and other misc tools needed to maintain your new home? I'm sure I'm missing stuff still but in the end it will add up.

Another thing to take note: the quality of the home - will the floors need to be refinished immediately? Are the windows and roof still new, do they have warranty or need to be replaced soon? Is the electrical up to date etc. I have a friend who bought a house that looked great but once they moved in, the cost of bringing things up to code nearly depleted their savings.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts