Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a post somewhere that Sara I think had a problem with dry cakes. Well here are 2 that have been in my family forever and are very moist.

The first one is from my grandma who was a fantastic baker! This recipe can also be doubled to make a 13x9x2 pan. Baking time will be longer so just keep an eye on it.

Sponge Cake

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teasp. baking powder
1/2 teasp. salt
1/c cup hot milk (do not boil!)
1 teasp. butter or margerine
1 teasp. vanilla

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder, set aside. In a large bowl cream eggs and sugar for 5 minutes.
Add hot milk, butter and vanilla and mix well, then add dry ingredients and mix well again.

Grease a 8" square pan with margerine, pour batter in pan and bake at 325-350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This recipe will make 1 dozen cupcakes.

This recipe is great all on it's own or with your favorite fruit and whipped topping.

This recipe has been in the family for years and I don't know where it comes from. I have cut it down because the original recipe was way too much for a 13x9x2 pan, it overflowed! :yikes: If anyone wants the full recipe which makes a 1/2 sheet pan size, just pm me and I will send it to you.

Chocolate Mayonaise Cake

2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 2/3 teasp. baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/3 cups sugar
3/4 teasp. salt
1 1/3 cups cold water
2/3 cup mayonaise
1 1/4 teasp. vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together, set aside. In a large bowl combine wet ingredients, then add dry ingredients.
Grease and flour a 13x9x2 inch pan. Pour in batter. Bake at 325-350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When cake is completely cool, frost
with your favorite frosting. This cake is great with just whipped cream on top!

·
27,948 Posts
What treasures! Thanks for sharing them Dee.:)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ladies,

I'm terribly sorry, if any of you have already copied down the Chocolate Mayonaise Cake, there is a change to the measurements on the flour and baking soda. I have already edited them and the correct amounts are in red.

I'm glad I just made this and caught my mistake! :blush:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
mmmm I just put the 1st one in the oven-the batter tasted good!! ;)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I love the chocolate mayo cake. I have made them for years and you are so right, they are so moist and delicious. I can't wait to try out your sponge cake recipe. It sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Well the reviews are in...and my dks love the sponge cake!! I did too, but shhh don't tell them over there at LFL, 'cuz I did not confess that I had a piece of cake ;)

Thanks for sharing DeeDee (love that, can I call you that??)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Deed...chocolate mayo. cake is from Grandma Wahl..love Mom

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay Arlene, I won't tell! ;) I'm glad your family liked it.

Mom says the other cake is my grandma's too. Now I know why the original recipe was so big. Grandma had 10 children and 7 were boys! :yikes:

**Edited** Yes Arlene you may! It is really the only name I answer to usually! :laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts