Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was in wally world yesterday looking to see if seeds were out yet (indiana...i know its a LITTLE early) and the garden dept mgr told me they were expected in any day now....

in our store they will have the 20 cent packets (there are about 40 varieties to choose from...some heirloom)...they will be in cardboard display panels probably not in the seed aisle either...and the mgr said they sell out VERY quickly....

just thought you might want to check your local wally world if you were interested....20 cents...not a bad price...now if they just will grow this year (okay...i think alot of my problem was 'operator mal-function'...but i don't tell everyONE)...

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
When seeds are that cheap, it worries me that they might be old seeds. I haven't had a garden for a few years but plan on one this summer and I will be checking the packets so see if they have either an expiration date or a packing date. I NEED my plants to do well this year. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's a hit and miss using cheap seeds like that, some will grow some won't. Last year that's all I used because we just made the large garden and I was super late getting started and the cheap seeds were all I could find until the feed stores put out the stuff for fall plantings. I will tell you out of the many....and I do mean Many packets of those cheap seeds I planted, only 3 packets were duds. I say give it a shot, it's only 20 cents if it works great, if not...then next time try some other source.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update: just came from our local farm store (rural king) and they had the seeds 10/$1...they are from american seed company and had prices on them anywhere from .59 to 1.89 (depending on what you bought)...so i stocked up on those... i am going to go ahead and plant some tomatos, peppers and leaf lettuce inside now and see how that goes coz everyone keeps telling me i can have them indoors all year round (these won't go in the garden..they are an experiment)...

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
They probably aren't old seeds, but they probably do have a low germination rate. The quality control is not as good, and a certain percentage of them won't sprout or won't thrive.

I can't grow anything from seed. It took 3 years to get coneflowers going. So I buy seedlings from a local nursery. They are more expensive, yes, but for me it is worth it to have a larger healthier plant to set in the garden. My tomato seedlings got huge fast, and produced well. The peppers I started from seed barely matured by the end of the summer and produced almost nothing.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yes i stocked up on these too. i did see that lowes has plants out now.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i was in wally world yesterday looking to see if seeds were out yet (indiana...i know its a LITTLE early)
Um yeah, that foot of snow on the ground is discouraging :bigglass:
Thanks though, .20 is good.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I usually do not buy discount seeds. I just have never gotten them to grow well. This year I plan to grow mostly heirloom varieties. That way I can save my own seeds for next year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with the cheap seed packets from walmart in the past...especially with the larger seeds like beans and such.

I also noticed that dollar general has their seed display out...3/$1 there...they had quite a few different great flower seeds too!!!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks old lady in the shoe....i need more flower packets...got a few with the batch i just bought but i would like a lot more variety...i will check them out....

got tomato, green pepper, leaf lettuce and parsley started in the garage from the 'cheapo' seeds...lets see what happens....

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
LOL you will find this funny, but we used to own a plant nursery and were surprised to learn that there are seed regulators. No chance that you will get old deed at retailers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts