Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who are you rooting for in 2008?

I am hoping for Newt Gingrich.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I'm not really sure at this point. I've been doing lots of reading up on all of the candidates. I try to be sure to make informed decisions in elections.

I've been talking a lot about the elections with my students. I always caution them not to back a candidate because of things that, in the end, don't matter. Don't vote for Hillary just because she would be the first woman. Don't vote for Obama just because he'd be the first African-American. Don't vote for Giuliani just because he's a republican, etc. It really makes me angry when people do that, or when people vote along party lines just to stay in the party.

Find out where people stand on all of the issues before backing anyone. You can't just vote based on one issue or because of party or because of the way someone looks or their sex or their religion. It just goes against the whole ideal of democracy.

So, that's the speech I give my kids and I require them to do heavy research on the candidates, so I try to make sure I am doing the same. Gotta practice what I preach! :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not really sure at this point. I've been doing lots of reading up on all of the candidates. I try to be sure to make informed decisions in elections.

I've been talking a lot about the elections with my students. I always caution them not to back a candidate because of things that, in the end, don't matter. Don't vote for Hillary just because she would be the first woman. Don't vote for Obama just because he'd be the first African-American. Don't vote for Giuliani just because he's a republican, etc. It really makes me angry when people do that, or when people vote along party lines just to stay in the party.

Find out where people stand on all of the issues before backing anyone. You can't just vote based on one issue or because of party or because of the way someone looks or their sex or their religion. It just goes against the whole ideal of democracy.

So, that's the speech I give my kids and I require them to do heavy research on the candidates, so I try to make sure I am doing the same. Gotta practice what I preach! :)

Yeah I do alot of research on the candidates as well for any election, not just the presidential elections. I personally have 1 stance that a candidate must have(Pro-Israel) or I will not vote for them,period. I am generally a Republican although there are plenty of issues I am liberal on so I certainly do not limit myself to one party. I am always looking into the independents as well. I don't know that I would vote for a 3rd party candidate though because they really have no chance in our country of winning a presidential election imo.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Die Hard Republician here. Gonna stay that way, You definitely don't want to hear what I think of Hillary and Obama.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I would never vote for Hillary in my life. Something about the woman strikes me as shifty/scary. I don't trust her character whatsoever.

I want to vote for John McCain.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Die Hard Republician here. Gonna stay that way, You definitely don't want to hear what I think of Hillary and Obama.
I am absolutley sure that we think the same thing about them both!! (from one die hard republican to another!) :)

I'll be voting republican - whoever it is.....that's just the way I do things!
(no throwing produce my way, please) :ribbon: :usasmile:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I generally vote straight Republican too because most of my views are definitly right wing.
However, if Joe Liberman ever decides to run,I'll vote for him!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
At this point, none of the them appeal to me.
I heard that Donald Trump, may be testing the waters. I wouldn't vote for him, either, lol.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I would love to see John McCain as president. He's a true American hero.

As a side note, my aunt grew up four houses down from Hilary Clinton, and actually baby-sat for the Rodham family as a teenager. My aunt and uncle love her.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I am going to wait until closer to election time t make a decision... but... I do know this... if the Rep candidate is Romney... I'll write in ME as president before I vote for him!!!!

I live in Massachusetts and there is something about his lack of attention to the commonwealth during his governership... it was obviously a stepping stone towards presidency... eh... I don't know... he's entitled to run and last I checked, I still had some freedoms, so I am entitled to say I would rather him go back to Utah and live a happy ski-filled life (I don't wish him harm... just stay the hell out of the oval office)

·
27,948 Posts

Good for you Amy! You must be a wonderful teacher.:tay:
No doubt on a few I would not vote for but elections a long way out & I have lots to learn meanwhile. Not looking forward as it gets closer though because I think these elections are like a major overload with a lot of crud flinging.:blah: Need some mighty tall boots to muck through it all sometimes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am going to wait until closer to election time t make a decision... but... I do know this... if the Rep candidate is Romney... I'll write in ME as president before I vote for him!!!!

I live in Massachusetts and there is something about his lack of attention to the commonwealth during his governership... it was obviously a stepping stone towards presidency... eh... I don't know... he's entitled to run and last I checked, I still had some freedoms, so I am entitled to say I would rather him go back to Utah and live a happy ski-filled life (I don't wish him harm... just stay the hell out of the oval office)

I am originally from Mass. and I was wondering if you felt the same way about John Kerry and his absence during key senate votes during his presidential run? I think he should have stepped aside-how about you?

I am a huge fan of Mitt Romney and his wife Ann. Imagine trying to balance a budget in a state run by a ratio in the legislature of 95% tax and spend democrats and yet he still wanted the job. He reminds me a lot of Reagan and I think that is just what we need. A true conservative who puts America first. (JMHO of course.)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know too much about Mitt Romney. I will have to research him.
I have some family members that are rooting for Tancredo. I agree with him on some of the issues and he's not afraid to voice his opinion and stick with it, that's a rarity in politics.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I will be voting for Rudy Giuliani.:). I am a pretty liberal Republican and I feel most comfortable with Rudy's views on most controversial issues. I think he has the experience for the office and that he has very sound judgment.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I'll most likely vote Republican no matter what but right now I'm really hoping Fred Thompson runs. He's conservative, media savvy and likeable.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I respect Tancredo's and Thompson's tough stands on illegal immigration-I just don't know if they will "show" well in some of the more "blue" states-like mine, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Have to see who all is running. Won't vote for Hillary (I'm with Darlene on that) and Kerry scares the dickens out of me. I'm not willing to go straight ticket, but tend to lean more republican most of the time. I also think it is important to learn about more issues than just the surface (gender, race, religion, party, education, etc.), and I think it important to see how they deal with people.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts