Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one area where I am not so good. If I plan a menu, I spend much less than if I just wander around the store. I also HATE grocery shopping so this will help me to be in and out quicker.

I usually grocery shop on Friday so my menus will go from Friday to Thursday. I am going to concentrate on dinner but I may throw weekend breakfast and lunches in there, too.

I'll post my first menu next week for shopping on January 2.

Anyone want to join me and kick me in the butt when I start to lag?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I'll join your challenge. My DH does most of the cooking, but I wouldn't mind posting the meals I plan when DH has to work late, etc. Today DH suggested shopping this afternoon then going out to eat. I said 'no' because it's a waste of money. I told him that we could buy a lot of grocery food and necessities with the wasted money. (This is a challenge I wish he'd join! :lol3:)

Reactions: nancycg56

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its amazing how much money you can save when you make a menu. I started this and worked on two weeks at a time, I found a mag that listed recipes with 1-3 ingredients.(reminder I need to find that magazine) My downfall came when I put off making a new menu. I tried doing it on Wed when the sale papers came out. but then got lazy...

If we all post a menu then maybe we can get ideas from each pther and that would help with the meun planning.

I'm in..

·
Registered
304 Posts
You go girl. I will cheer you on throughout the year.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really hate not following through so I hope I don't drive myself nuts with this, LOL!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm in! I will shop on Fri or Sat and plan for two weeks at a time.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
This is one area I am hoping to be much better about in 2009! I know my family eats better and I spend way less money when I do plan! I'm in!! :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm in... I'm kind of kitchen challenged so maybe this will help me. I have cookbooks of the 3-4-5 ingredient meals so time to dust them off and get to meal planning!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am not good at planning a menu. I will definitely keep track of all of yours though. I am sure that I will be borrowing some of your menu ideas. I am just not that creative in the kitchen. I tend to make the same stuff over and over.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I feel like I make the same meals over and over as well. I don't want to commit to being able to inspire any of you, I feel like it's the same for us every week. LOL. However, I would love to read some of ya'll's recipes and see if there is anything that we would like to try.

I am trying to make new and different things, and praying I can convince my daughter that not only has she had them before, but that she likes them. LOL.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I can't make any promises but I will try for the month of January and see how it goes!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I want to join in on this challenge.

Maybe we could have one of these stickied each month?? That way we won't have to wad through everyone's posts??

We usually shop on Thursday or Friday.

Here is my menu for today and into next week.

12/27 Saturday - roast, potatoes, carrots, side salad
12/28 Sunday - slump, tortillas
12/29 Monday - hot dogs, hot dog buns
12/30 Tuesday - momma’s
12/31 Wednesday - chicken stir-fry and rice
1/01 Thursday - Momma’s for New Year’s

·
Registered
503 Posts
You've challenged me to... think about it! Soccer season is starting again, and DH travels extensively, and practice is over the dinner hour, and requires a third trip into town each day..... so DH and I were literally just talking about how we were going to handle it. (They don't bus high schoolers.... DS3 is a freshman.... we need to decide if we'll stay in town [we live far out], make sandwiches, what???)

Aye aye aye!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to join in on this challenge.

Maybe we could have one of these stickied each month?? That way we won't have to wad through everyone's posts??

We usually shop on Thursday or Friday.

Here is my menu for today and into next week.

12/27 Saturday - roast, potatoes, carrots, side salad
12/28 Sunday - slump, tortillas
12/29 Monday - hot dogs, hot dog buns
12/30 Tuesday - momma’s
12/31 Wednesday - chicken stir-fry and rice
1/01 Thursday - Momma’s for New Year’s
Your menu sounds great!!!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I will join this one. I was really good at menu planning in 2007 and earily 2008, but slacked off starting last spring.
I menu plan one month at a time and shop monthly. I do, however reserve the right to rearrange the menu.
I will post my menu one one week at a time.
Now, I better get planning.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm in! This is an area I really need to work on. When I shop each week I have a general idea of what will be on the menu, but usually it breaks down as the week goes on, due to lack of planning and losing interest or being tired.
And over the last couple of weeks I've been idle & wasted vegetables that have gone soft in the bottom of the fridge.
I'll work out a menu for the week & post it later

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm in! This is an area I really need to work on. When I shop each week I have a general idea of what will be on the menu, but usually it breaks down as the week goes on, due to lack of planning and losing interest or being tired.
And over the last couple of weeks I've been idle & wasted vegetables that have gone soft in the bottom of the fridge.
I'll work out a menu for the week & post it later

ditto. I'm hoping for some accountability in the menu planning area. Good luck to all.

1 - 20 of 363 Posts