Frugal Village Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we want a challenge where people can say how much they currently have set aside for emergencies?

Maybe start with your current balance and every time you set aside money, add a new post?

OTOH that might be disclosing too much info - wouldn't want anyone going around hunting down the FV member cookie jars.

What do you all think?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I rather just post what I added and not the total amount.

But that is just me.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
My cookie jar screams when opened.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I will say that although I like D.R.'s philosophy I have found that 1000. E.F. suffers too much fluctuation for our family of four to feel steadily safe. I have rebuilt it (again) and plan to keep no less than $1500. in there for small emergencies. I personally think that 2010 is going to be a "ride to remember" as much or more than 2009.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I will say that although I like D.R.'s philosophy I have found that 1000. E.F. suffers too much fluctuation for our family of four to feel steadily safe. I have rebuilt it (again) and plan to keep no less than $1500. in there for small emergencies. I personally think that 2010 is going to be a "ride to remember" as much or more than 2009.
My sentiments exactly. Especially the more so.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Maybe we can add what changes we did to be able to add to the emergency fund. For example, I got an unexpected gift of money and want to add a part of it to my emergency fund

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
They gave my DH's 4% of his salary back they took starting in FEB. It's how we got xmas paid in cash too. Also paid off my road assessment my DEAR neighbors got for me 6 years ago.(51% vote to pave the road). We live in a township.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Whatever you decide is good with me. I want in on this one. I am debt free except the house now, so here we go on growing that EF!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, I am in as well.

I have had $500.00 in BEF this month and had two emergencies. Have $100.00 left if nothing else hits us.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I am in on this challenge no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm in. I need to build my BEF to $1,000.
We do not have a cookie jar. We have a locked box in which I am the only one with a key and DH is the only one who can reach it (He is very tall and I'm short). Without one another, we cannot get into the BEF.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would like to participate, this is one of my goals for 2010 anyways. I'm trying to save up for an 8 month emergency fund and also an adoption fund!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so we have interest in having a "grow your emergency fund challenge".

So - rules:

Only one, really, that I can think of as necessary - do we simply count ADDITIONS to the emergency fund for 2010 or do we start with current balances and go from there?

The more I think on it, the more I think we should go with additions - so even if you have 30k in the bank and add no more, you'd add nothing to this challenge (nor would you really need to).

Do we need to DEFINE an emergency fund?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Sounds good, count me in. I think most of us understand the concept, but it wouldn't hurt to define the terms and rules upfront....here's what it is, here's how it works.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm in. I like the idea of having the monthly and end of the year total aswell. And also love the idea of writing how we found that extra money to put in the emergency fund. Can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I think it would not hurt to define emergency fund. I have the first $1000 but also have other "goals" to save towards. I need to seperate my EF from general savings. It is too easy to access.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I think I may join this challenge as well! I'm quite the joiner for this coming year! Yay! LOL...I put my EF and saving together, I kinda consider them one in the same. If I need something in an emergency my savings will pay for it...other than that, the savings doesn't get touched. Although I am saving money for a house it's not in the near future, so I will just contribute what I can each month to that account. I will keep track of it on here though...I do have a seperate envelope for my EF and savings, so I can determine which is which before depositing it into the bank! I may figure out a better system for this, but I want in...I'll try to get my act together!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Count me in I don't have an ef so this will be good for me. I am thinking i will set up a separate account for it not sure though because i do have a savings account i could put it into.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.