Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 786 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thanks, MauiMagic. I have a ton of material, so I am sure I have the necessary fabric. But I don't know what to do from there. Are there patterns available? I presume I need to cut squares, but how big and how many, and how do I figure out what it is going to look like? :)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I decided to recycle some of my Christmas cards from this year for jelly jar toppers. Cut the design into a circle, place it over the lid and screw on the ring. I give alot of jellies each year and this would be very festive and cost nothing. I have access to a laminater at work so I'll probably laminate them first.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I might try something now that I have a sewing machine. But isn't there batting and such things to deal with?
AH HA!!! I thought so..........MM just ratted you out.

You bought a sewing machine a few months back - didn't you? And have you ever used it???????

The batting comes after you have the quilt top sewn and if you plan on tying (as opposed to quilting) your first quilt, the batting will be nothing to deal with.

I think you would love quilting.......and if you have ever sewn ANYTHING it isn't that hard. You can make it as hard, or as easy as you want by the pattern you pick.

If you can sew a straight line, you can quilt!!!

·
19,119 Posts
Madhen, if you check some of my quilting posts - there are pictures of the quilts I made for my preschoolers - I used 5 inch squares.

Just figure out how large you want your quilts and divide the length and the width each by your square size plus 1/2 inch (usually use 1/4 inch seams) - that will be the number long and wide - then multiply those two numbers together to get the total number of squares needed.

Once you start looking at quilt patterns, you will be overwhelmed with stimuli that will keep you quilting for a lifetime ahead!!

I've made patchwork quilt cloth napkins also - those last a long time, are really practical and make great gifts!!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I'm going to try and take Christmas 2010 completely out of my own allowance. I'll put aside $20/mth for a total of $240 in gifts. And I'll focus on making most of my gifts. One a month... let's see how I do...

teehee, madhen a quilter, teehee! Knew we'd get to you eventually madhen. Quilting is fun. Quilting is awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I decided to recycle some of my Christmas cards from this year for jelly jar toppers. Cut the design into a circle, place it over the lid and screw on the ring. I give alot of jellies each year and this would be very festive and cost nothing. I have access to a laminater at work so I'll probably laminate them first.
This is a great idea, dean!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Thanks, MauiMagic. I have a ton of material, so I am sure I have the necessary fabric. But I don't know what to do from there. Are there patterns available? I presume I need to cut squares, but how big and how many, and how do I figure out what it is going to look like? :)
Madhen, you might find some of Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day books useful. She breaks it down into very easy steps and the end results are stunning.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Found a pattern in the Creative Knitting Magazine that my MIL put in my stocking for a scarf and fingerless glove that I want to make for my sister-in-law and my brother's girlfriend for next Christmas.

·
19,119 Posts
Need to add that quilting is also addictive!! Madhen - sewing quilts is easier than sewing the eyepatch things - just keep sewing those straight lines!!

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Sigh. I feel the seeds of another addiction sprouting. :)

I'll go check out the library for those books. Meanwhile, MM, I'll see if I can find some of your quilting posts.

1/4" pressure foot? That confuses me. :)

·
19,119 Posts
When I need to mark dertain widths for sewing on my machine, I just mark it on the machine itself. So, if I wanted a 1/4 inch seam, I would measure out from the hole for the needle, 1/4 inch and mark it - and that's where I would line up my material.

Reactions: knitnmom and peanut

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think i'm going to try and save $20 a week . That would give me $1000 or so christmas. That would really help me out! Just gotta figure out how to stash it since my bank doesn't have a christmas club

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sigh.
1/4" pressure foot? That confuses me. :)
It might have come with your machine. Has a tiny little bar that sticks down, on the right hand side. If your machine has 'snap on feet' (most do) JA has the foot for between 5 and 10 dollars. (a snap on foot is one that you just 'snap out' (pull forward) when you want to change it.)

Can do what Maui said, but I find the foot easier. With the little bar it 'almost' won't let you do anything other than 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Dean, I LOVE that idea for Christmas cards. How creative!!!

Reactions: dean

·
19,119 Posts
In going through my sewing room tonight as I was pulling Valentine fabric - I found another wall hanging that I can make for a Christmas gift for next year - or it could be a table runner!!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Madhen, the part of the machine that feeds the fabric through from the top is called the pressure foot. The part that feeds the fabric through the machine from the bottom is called the feed dogs.

You can get all kinds of pressure feet, and most machines come with several. They usually just snap on and off. But some don't...some screw on and off the machine. Some give you the option to do both. You usually can tell if they're screw on because every single presser foot will have a shank on it to screw onto the machine. The snap on ones will just have the foot.

A 1/4" pressure foot measures 1/4" from the center of the hole where the needle goes, to the edge (side) of the foot on the right as you're facing it.

It isn't necessary to have a 1/4" foot, but it helps. Also not all pressure feet have the bar spoken of. Mine doesn't. It all depends on your make of machine.

Here's a Janome one, which is the same as a Kenmore one... and a Bernina one (half way down the page)...an Elna one...a Brother one (I think you'd want the Little Foot Low Vertical #LF-101)...

It might be a good idea to take your pressure feet into a sewing machine store or fabric store...or to another quilter/seamstress...to ask if you have it already.

61 - 80 of 786 Posts