Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 786 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want in on this challenge...I love the idea of making my own christmas gifts. I would like to take a quilting class this year so I can make a quilt for my new grandson.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I was going through my fabric last night and I have the fabric for a couple of table runners all picked out. They should be fairly quick. I'm not going to sew for a couple of weeks, I need to get some things done around the house and go through my year end finances and start setting up 2010, but I'll be starting making some gifts soon!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Thank you all for the pressure foot info!! :)

I am going to check our local quilt shop to see if they have a class this coming year, and I'll also check my machine. I think I know what you all are talking about, but finding it is another issue!

I agree, dean, that the Christmas cards as jar toppers is a GREAT idea!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Count me in. I already planed to deposit 100.00 per month for christmas and BD gifts.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm in on this challange.
I've already said that I'm going to make quilts from my scrap stash for everyone on my list except the kids & DH.
They already have some.
I want to try to have atleast $500 put up for Xmas by next Oct.,
don't plan on spending it all though.:ponder:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Great Idea.....

My goal for 2010 is to be extremely frugal... this doesn't mean that I won't buy anything, it only means that i will wait until amazon offers there great deals about a month before christmas...
This year dh bought huge $ items for the kids and I was not impressed and not happy because i didn't feel the need for them to have their own laptops..I had already purchased nintendo ds lites for the kids and thought that was more appropriate for them. However, I let it go and just smiled as I do quite often.....so this next year I have already stated that the kids have everything that they really need or possibly want within reason and next year we are going to set a budget and stick to it. I plan on putting $75 a month away and going from there and will be able to access this throughout the year in case i find a great deal......

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
My goal for Christmas 2010 is to not even need to know what time the stores are closing on Dec 24. This year was terrible. I don't think i've ever been so disorganized, unprepared, and frustrated in my life.

I'm going to force myself to shop this year. I can't think of anything else to make for anyone. Most stores make me feel sick now, something to do with lighting or size I think, and I had such an awful time trying to think this year while I was out. I get this funny little headache and start to feel disoriented. I'm going to try to come up with ideas this year then buy online.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I'm signing up for this! We are having such a lack of funds. I need to start early, and work at it throughout the year. I started crocheting an afghan last night, this will be for a friend of mine.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Neighbor who we have been helping out for about a year now, because her husband lost his job and cannot sign up for unemployment, and she only has a part time job, came over today to pick up a bunch of stuff we were getting rid of. She brought me 4 skeins of yarn that were given to her and she cannot use. I will be making an afgahn throw for my grandmother for Christmas with it. I will be starting it as soon as I finish the 2 dish cloths I am making for DD#1's birthday in Jan.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm signing up for this! We are having such a lack of funds. I need to start early, and work at it throughout the year. I started crocheting an afghan last night, this will be for a friend of mine.
I was reading your post about having very little for Christmas and I wanted to tell you that we have had years like this too. One thing I did when I knew it would be a lean present year was to buy little 1.00 things and wrap them and put them under the tree. Things like a new pair of gloves, chapsticks, a new coloring book and crayons, etc. That made them have lots of gifts for little money. If you started picking things up now, 1.00 a month even, you'd have alot of items by next Christmas!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Wow all of you crafty people make me feel really bad. I LOVE the idea of crafts and really really need a hobby. But I just really suck at most every craft I've tried LOL. My Grandma was a wonderful quilter, doing it all by hand and I think she was always a little disappointed that I didn't like to do it. Now that she's gone I feel like that's a part of our family that's gone too.

I want to do a Christmas challenge. My sister has 7 kids and every year I struggle with something to buy for them. I think this year I will spend the year picking up little stocking stuffer type items and them put them together into stockings for them. I will wrap each item and make sure each child has a large stocking full. I think that would be fun for them!

I also want to start putting some money aside for the Christmas shopping. I don't want to do a set amount as our expenses and income vary throughout the year.

Here are a couple of ideas for used Christmas cards. You can cut off pretty parts of the fronts and use as gift tags. Just punch a hole in a corner, string ribbon through it and then attach to a package! Write your message and who it goes to on the back!

You could also cut the fronts off the cards(if there is nothing written on the inside cover) and then write a message on the back and then donate them to a nursing home to be distributed to residents. Alot of them have no family and get no mail or gifts. You could just write "from a special friend" or something on the back.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Thank you madhen!!!
I need to stash money away for next Christmas, but wasnt sure where to put it, well we joined ING at Thanksgiving, We had no idea you could have more than one savings account! Yipppeee! I will now transfer at least $10 a month into our new ING Christmas account until the funds get better, at least its a start.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I think i have about seven savings accts with them. :) It is easy to transfer funds around, and you can "delete" them by just withdrawing all your funds from them.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
knitting-xmas gift

ok here is the start of it,the ripple part , then after about 5 of each colour maybe or more. that will be the length. then in between Ill start making the green tree of life skinny panels. loks similar to this but just the tree part with a simple border on each side .not the width of the dishcloth.lol

Miss Thrifty - sounds like a pretty pattern - do you have a picture of it?

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great challenge madhen! I can always count on you for great ideas. I will not be 'putting' money away for Christmas but plan on making alot of gifts again next year (they went over really well this year) and have already started a list of things I want to watch for at secondhand stores and garage sales.

Love the lid idea for jelly dean! I will be using that one. :)

Great start MissThrifty! It is going to be beautiful.

I am going to be watching for and picking up stocking stuffers all year again as it really helped alot this year.

I like the stocking stuffer drawer idea madhen. I need to find one! :)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
ok here is the start of it,the ripple part , then after about 5 of each colour maybe or more. that will be the length. then in between Ill start making the green tree of life skinny panels. loks similar to this but just the tree part with a simple border on each side .not the width of the dishcloth.lol
Nice work, it'll be a GREAT gift!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi

I surprised myself this year and was for once not hitting the shops at the all night trading to get presents. I even made my dutch MIL a crochet lap rug and got it there in time for one of the coldest winters in many years. It was my first project and she loved it! Very happy with myself.

But this year I'm going to be even better. I've already started a list on the computer with people names and how much I intend to spend. I have columns for their birthdays and christmas so I can write what I've bought ahead of time and for how much. I found that I wasn't really keeping track of the amounts of things and everything was just lumped into one total on the budget sheet for 2009. This way I can see things clearer and I can figure out that the rug I sent cost X amt(material and postage) and the present for my friend cost Y amt.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Along with my Christmas club I have a reloadable Walmart card and Rite aid card I will be putting money on them through out the year.
I 'm not overly crafty but can make some things quilting is one thing I would love to get into .I had a woman who was teaching me how to quilt but she died.Maybe will try to find some one else.
Great idea's every one thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
As an idea, one gift I gave a few years ago that the recipient LOVES is a reloadable Starbucks card. I set it up so every time the balance on the card goes below a certain number, the card automatically reloads with $25. I've only seen the card reload about once per year, but the gift receiver has said over and over how nice it is to know that the card is there and has enough for a cup of coffee, if the mood strikes and the pockets are empty. :)

You can set them up for whatever amounts you want, or to just add "x" amount every so many days. I wouldn't recommend it as a present for a coffee addict, but if you know someone who goes infrequently, it gives them the peace of mind of knowing they always have $10 or so for a coffee, water, sandwich, etc.

·
19,119 Posts
Very thoughtful idea madhen!!

Depending on how many people you are stuffing stockings for will determine how large a drawer or bin you'll need. Even DD was impressed with the stocking stuffers this year. Next year, I sure hope that more of the freebies come through!! They certainly all add up!!

I still have some goodies left over from this year to start the stuffing for next year!!

If anyone finds crossword puzzle fabric, I would love 1 1/2 - 2 yards - I'm good for it plus shipping, but you can contact me first too!! Haven't found any here yet. But I know that somem will pop up before next year!!

81 - 100 of 786 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.