Frugal Village Forums banner

41 - 60 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would agree with greebo. If you have an extra $300 send it in. If you check out the new debt reduction thread or even your statement, you may save tons in interest by paying it off earlier.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I am adding to my change to increase my EF but if I can get things paid off earlier I would like a goal this year of 1000.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It sounds more like a sinking fund - but I'm curious as to your reasoning for waiting? Every day you leave a balance on a card, it accumulates more interest - why "save up" to pay off a card when you could get more bang for your buck by paying a LITTLE more earlier (if that's all you can pay right then I mean)?

Of course if the card is a charge-off, that's different...
I know, I know. I just feel like if I could get all the money to pay it off at one time in one lump sum, it would make me feel better, KWIM? I don't know, stupid way of thinking! And no, it's not a charge off so yeah, the interest is accumulating.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I know, I know. I just feel like if I could get all the money to pay it off at one time in one lump sum, it would make me feel better, KWIM? I don't know, stupid way of thinking! And no, it's not a charge off so yeah, the interest is accumulating.
It makes you feel better to have interest piling up so you need MORE money to pay it off?

Really?

·
Registered
185 Posts
It makes you feel better to have interest piling up so you need MORE money to pay it off?

Really?
No (hanging head in shame). I'd like to write just one check and have it be gone with in one payment. It sounds stupid, I know. The plan is to have the rest to pay it off by the end of the month. If I'm not able to, i'll just send in what I have.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
This is my biggest goal this year. I had a baby ten weeks ago, and his father and I live together, but are not married.

I am not comfortable relying on DB. There are no guarantees. Right now I have no income, no posessions, no car, no savings. Nothing. That is not okay with me.

Should something happen and I suddenly have to support my son and myself alone, I want to be prepared.

My goal is to get a $1500 EF set up just for the two of us ASAP. I won't be hiding it, but DB won't have any kind of access to it either.

When he files his taxes the end of this month, half of the tax credit for Parker is going to me. That $500 will be going directly into my EF. The beginning of February I will be getting a check for anywhere from $500-$1000+. Everything up to $1500 will go into Parker and my EF. Everything above that amount will go into the savings account for buying myself a car(that will be in my name and my name only.)

We'll also be working on getting a household $1000 EF setup (funded by his income) as well.
I cannot see that this posts report anything actually having been added yet, so this post did not affect the new total coming up. Please let me know if I misread this.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
To date, Frugal Villagers have added:
$1979.22
To their Emergency Funds in 2010!

We're off to a GREAT start - not even 4 days into the New Year!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No (hanging head in shame). I'd like to write just one check and have it be gone with in one payment. It sounds stupid, I know. The plan is to have the rest to pay it off by the end of the month. If I'm not able to, i'll just send in what I have.
If its all within a 1 month period, that's fine - I thought you were talking about saving it over a period of several months.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Added another $50 today

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I just added another $5.58. I know it isn't much but after I pay bills I transfer "loose change" in my acct over. I like to have only amounts that end in a 0 or 5 in my acct. What can I say I am weird!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
$2,034.80

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sorry, I forgot I added 54.25 on Jan.1st.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Should we add interest earned on our accounts into our totals? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to make sure so we can have accurate totals.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Should we add interest earned on our accounts into our totals? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to make sure so we can have accurate totals.
I think absolutely yes - interest added to your EF is money in your EF!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The original goal for our EF was completed awhile back. We have re-evaluated our current situation and possible upcoming changes and in doing so have decided to increase our EF by $2000 to $5000 this year. It will be priority until we reach the $2000 additional mark after that we will look at where we stand with other savings and re-evaluate again.

$69.85 today with additional funding planned for tomorrow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
$20 added today

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
$2,178.90

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
oh, my! Mine is auto draft and I forgot about it. Added $20 Wednesday.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Added $20 today. Good thing because I will have to pull a good amount out to replace my cook top either this month or next month.

41 - 60 of 510 Posts