Frugal Village Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Alas and alack! our grocery bill will definitely be higher this month. I am already over budget and I have a church luncheon to buy food for. :( I cut the costs somewhat today by baking cookies for the dessert. Another lady is bringing a banana loaf. But we still have to be concerned about the main course. I'm taking salmon sandwich filling and egg salad sandwich filling. And, if I can find it, a large can of fruit cocktail in fruit concentrate. That should be plenty.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Eggs today. $1.99

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Added another $113.11 to my monthly total Saturday. This does not count the $50 WM card I used. As of right now I'm under budget for the month and we should only need milk until next month.

Cat

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Well the church luncheon ended up costing me $20. Not bad...considering I was one of three providing lunch and we fed 50 people. We were caught off guard. Normally only about 30 stay for lunch. I had bought extra canned fruit cocktail and made some veggies and dip 'just in case'. And one lady brought an extra banana loaf. And the other lady dug two pies out of her freezer 'just in case'. It was all gone by the end of the luncheon...except I had two cans of fruit cocktail left. But only because I also took 'on a whim' a cut up canteloupe and some mini-honey mandarin oranges. In fact, the fruit cocktail, some salmon sandwich filling and some meat sandwich filling were all that was left!

But my grocery budget is shot for the month. We'll see what we can do about it. I am trying to cook double batches of meals with meat as an ingredient...not the main course. But I may be stretching it for our house guest. Twenty-six year old men just need meat...period.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Back on track with grocery budget. House guest moves out today. I spent $67CAD on food for the next week. I need to keep it under $75CAD/wk to stay on budget.

A friend gifted us with a huge box of venison of various sorts. That will help considerably.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oooh peanut, venison is THE best meat if cooked right!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Yeah, I had to call my DSIS to find out how she cooks it. Well worth the phone call! I have few ideas of what kind of spices to add to it now. Seems garlic is a good choice!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Well, I made my budget for last month. We spent a total of $6.99. Money has been really tight ... thank God for the stockpile! Hoping business this month will be better. At this rate $400 a month sounds like a fortune!

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I'm in and since mine is low anyway I'm just going to try to keep to it. I went over I think by about $30 last month at the last minute. Sticking to the $150 for 3 people for month. Going tonight tho before a sale at Publix ends. Went today and going again tonight. I got $68.30 in grocerys for $11.25. Which was 20 cans Progresso Soup and 20 cans GG veggies. They paid me $2.50 to take the veggies out of the store. Best I've done for awhile.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Keeping my budget at $300. I did spend $2.29 on a gallon of milk today.

Cat

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Thanks to friends I am holding the line on the grocery budget this week. helps that I have the kitchen torn apart to refinish the celing. Means meals are very simple and straightforward. No extra baking, etc.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Spent $79 and some change today...will round it up to $80 :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Spend just short of $115 so I will round it up to $115

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I've actually been doing quite well with this challenge this month. Hopefully enough to make up for last month! I have menus through to the end of next week and money to spare...God is good!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
WTG peanut! I spent another $124.24 yesterday and we should only need milk or bread before next shopping trip. I started going to the local Amish store and this really helps.

Cat

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Spent $110 today

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Spent $90 on April 13th. :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
On the bright side I've been doing a good job of keeping track of my budget, on the bad side I'm buying what I always have but either prices have gone up, the package has shrunk or we're eating more.

81 - 100 of 222 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.