Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have to say that 2010 was probably the worst year of my life. So many challenges were presented to my family. I am utterly exhausted. However, 2010 is almost over and I am excited to embrace 2011! Here is an overview of our finances:
We have our $1000 EF!
We paid off $26,000 of credit card debt! This is HALF of our debt!!!
We bought a (new to us) car for my dh with cash! Much needed.

Our 2011 financial goals are as follows:
Increase our EF to $5000.
Pay off our remaining cc debit.
Pay off Orthodontist.
Put new tires on dh's car. Sooner rather than later.
Pay for Summer camp for the kids.

Overall, I think we did a great job of paying off our debt. I slipped a little over Christmas and spent too much for gifts. Luckily Christmas comes just once a year and next year I am only giving cash to all but my kids. As my nephew told me this year, Cash is King! So that is what they will get next year! Saves me a lot of hassle!

I hope everyone else is excited about 2011 also. I feel more in control of my finances than I have ever felt. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and brighter!

Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I didn't fair to bad in 2010. I didn't pay off as much debt as i was hoping but was able to pay keep paying down. In 2011 my goals are

add $25.00 to my credit card a month and any extra money i have at the end of the month.

this year i really need to watch my spending due to i am now paying on my student loan.

better planning and spending on groceries
use the library more

That's all i can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
2010 was good for us. We completed an extensive remodel of our home, and did it for cash. Had new tires and repair work on both vehicles, again for cash. So we remain out of debt. Took a short vacation, again for cash.

We both finally quit our part time jobs, and are living on pension and an income stream from the interest on our nest egg. So far, we are staying within our means.

We've had a good year with family, some problems, but nothing that God couldn't handle.

Next year: We've been asked to come back to the college and teach one more class, so will do that in February. Then it's retirement for good. Will need to watch income and outgo carefully. I need to decide on whether or not to start social security next year. Would it be best to take it early or hold off? We have the house pretty well fixed up now, but will have some expenditures on replacement windows and repairing the deck.

Overall, 2010 was a good year, and I'm expecting another good year in 2011. We just have to keep on being careful. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
We did fairly well in 2010. We made the financial decision to remain in the home we have lived in for the last ten years instead of purchasing a new one. We began talking about 30 year mortgages and our ages and about fell over when we realized that we would be in our 70's when we were finished paying the house off. If that is the case, we would never have a chance to retire because we would be working to pay the mortgage note. In 2010, my personal goal was to graduate from college after attending for 4-1/2 years. That was accomplished! YEA!

In 2011, our goal is to continue paying off debt - student loans, vehicles, mortgage, etc. Not necessarily in that order though. We have a good deal of money sit aside in savings that could get us through a crisis if we have one -- praying we don't though. My personal goal is to find a teaching job beginning in the Fall. This will help with repaying those student loans!

·
Registered
109 Posts
2010 We paid off our home!! Got son #1 through 2nd year of college. Built the barn with cash.

2011 We need to stockpile on non perishables, smaller garden, new batch of chickens, get #2 son off to college and FINALLY sell the Montana house.

Happy New Year Everyone!:hat:

·
Registered
95 Posts
2011 Goals:

Decrease debt by $15,000.00

Begin Christmas savings fund of $20.00 per week

Review and revive retirement fund for myself

Lose 50 pounds

2010 was a really bad year for us. My husband's heart failure became increasingly worse to the point that he had a mechanical heart implanted. This caused many financial burdens due to the medical and pharmaceutical bills as well as my missing close to 2 months of work. We are just now digging out of the mess this caused us and can now get on board with DR and follow the plan to a T. I am extremely hopeful and excited for 2011 as I have decided that this is the year I am going to change my life in more ways than one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
2010 was a wonderful, but challenging year for us.

First off, our daughter was born, she is such a gift and joy and motivates me daily to provide the best, most secure life for her.

2010 had a rough start, my husband's moving business had a rough winter and we had some trouble keeping food on the table and oil in the oil/gas tanks. My mother in law lived with us last winter and she thankfully bailed us out a few times.

I worked hard to straighten out a tax issue my husband had been having for several years. In the end, I received a check for over $9K from the IRS just days before my daughter was born. Once she was born healthy and safely in this world, we used the $9K to pay off debt (tractor, ccs and construction loan)and towards the EF.

We now have three months salary in the EF.

I wish we had saved more. If not for that $9K we would not have come close to meeting our financial goals.

2011 will be a challenge. We will likely need to get a new car as the one we have is really failing. We also want/need a kitchen renovation and some baby proofing projects. DD will be crawling and our kitchen (last renovated in 1946, including appliances!) is just too filthy (on the floor) and inefficent for family use (no dishwasher, less than 3 feet of counter space total, and lower cabinets that are so gross and basement like that we have to wash our pans every time we take them out to use them - and getting pans out of those cabinets is nearly impossible).

Goal is to get that done without accumulating new debt. Seems impossible at the momenT, but hoping FV'ers can give us some ideas!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Pay off cc 2, within shooting distance now.

Replace windows, as we can afford it (there are at least 14 more to go and a glassed in sunroom).

Get rid of one storage unit, that will get the storage rent to <$200 a month.

Get the antique booth to actually PAY the rent (step #1). I'm making per month now what I made in all of 2009, but my rent is 3x what it was, and so I"m still falling short. Step #2 of course is to get it to make more than the rent. I have made a quantum leap in income with it once, now to do the same again!

Finish one, two, or all three of the books that I have in process and sell them. The memoir is about 1/2 done, the novel is about the same, the kitchen book about 10%.

Sell some of DH's photographs.

Get more LED lighting to reduce our electric and/or get started with some solar energy.

That's all I can think of!

Judi

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have to say that 2010 was the best year I've had in a very long time.

Financially I am completely on target with my goals. I have zero consumer debt, went on multiple vacations for cash, paid for Christmas in cash and really just had one hek of a good time.

I would love to see a repeat in 2011! My biggest financial goal is to remain consumer debt free which means I need to save save save. I am DYING to buy new furniture but not until my 8 mos EF is fully funded.

Once my EF is funded I will save ALOT of money to do a complete makeover on my living room that I will pay for in cash. Then I will save more money and do a makeover in my sons room. He needs new furniture too.

so well wishes for 2011 and that everyone is happy, healthy and meets all of their goals!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My goal is to save $4000 by Aug 30. I have no idea how I am going to do this, exactly. I think we are going to owe the IRS as well, but we did put that aside early on, thankfully.

I really wish Ebay/Paypal wasn't so fee- crazy. That was always my go-to place to make egg money.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Forgot to say in my previous post that this year, we want to redo our will. Also want to consider how to give more to charity in a wise way. We have a want for this year: a hot tub. But will have to think carefully about how and when to afford this luxury.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
2010 I ended up spending money on basically a new wardrobe. Most of the items are from the thrift store or end of year clearance sales. Even have a bunch of new shoes. So it is ok since I really needed better looking clothes. Didn't realize how raggy my clothes were looking.

So I am greatful since now I can't really go out and buy anything new. Although I have set aside some money for the Ann Taylor Loft end of season clearance sales for pants. If it is anything like last year I can get a whole bunch of pants for $20.00

So this coming year I will try to put more in savings while being more frugal to afford going to NYC on a weekly basis. Right now I am trying to make enough items to be able to sell them. So in a lot of ways it is a gamble but I really like what I am doing in the city.

Definately do not have to worry about buying any clothes that is for sure.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
got strict with things in july
got my EF fully funded and paid off over 6000 in CC debts ( not counting regular mothly payments - its just the total of what was fully paid off )

get more organized
do more menu planning
use coupons when its worth it ( mainly for beauty cleaning papergoods batteries and some snacks )
declutter
pay 5000 $ off in debts ( over and above reg monthly payments )

·
Registered
41 Posts
2010-
Paid off car loan
Paid off student loan
Cut down dying tree
Managed through a big car repair and a plumbing problem in the same month without CC!

Goals for 2011-
Refill EF
Keep Grocery/Household budget under $4800 for the year ($400 a month).
Pay off CC. CC#1-$296 CC#2-$4,068
Buy a new to us van in cash.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Wow, 2010...what to say about 2010....It's been just a crazy year.

We were driving across the state line into FL at about 10 AM on Dec. 29th, 2009. By 4 PM, we had our keys to our rented condo and were moving things in. We had approx. $30K in a savings account and a 16 ft. moving truck towing a Chevy Cavalier, a 15 year old cat, and ourselves (LOL) from a po-dunk town in Indiana.

At the beginning of February, my BF began looking for work. We knew only having one vehicle, and him being in the IT field...that it would be the best choice for him to go back to work first. He ended up at 4 interviews, with 2 job offers by March 6th...and started a new job on March 10th.

By the end of April 2010 we were moving out of the condo into an apartment complex because mold began to grow on everything we owned. The unit above ours was being pretty much gutted and redone unbeknown to the owner of our condo. We moved everything that wouldn't fit into a 460 sq. ft. apartment into a storage unit for 1 month, and lived in a corporate unit....basically out of the kindness of the woman in the leasing office at the apartment complex. They rented us a $1400 furnished apartment for the same rate as we would be paying the next month at the unit we would actually be moving into.

By the end of May 2010 we were moving our excess things out of storage to our new apartment, and I was moving (by hand) the rest of our items from the corp. unit on Floor 3 of building 2, to a unit on Floor 2 of building 3 while BF worked during the day.

June through Sept. were filled with car problems to the tune of...I actually am not really sure without going into the file to look, and I don't want to look..LOL. A fuel pump, harmonic balancer, belt tensioner, timing chain and top-end engine rebuild, and shifter cable...approximately $4K worth of repairs. I ended up in the ER at the end of Sept. with chest pains and numbness/tingling...and a lingering cough that was pretty much never explained but all ended up basically spontaneously resolving (birth control pills or possibly Mono?) ....which resulted in about $10K in medical bills (4 hrs. in the ER @ 9PM on a Friday, CT, MRI, labs, on-call radiologist) that I negotiated down to $3,600.

BF has had 3 raises since starting his job in March and after my parents visited in November, I started looking for work. I ended up with a job (albeit through a temp agency currently) after my first interview and so long as they keep me around, we've nearly doubled our yearly income...

After all was said and done, we've still got a functioning vehicle, are both employed, and still have about $20K in the bank.

So, what to say about 2010....it's been a wild ride I guess. I can't wait for 2011.

Our goals for the new year are to continue saving towards buying a house in the next couple/few years and to make a trip up to visit our families and friends. We'll probably start saving for a wedding while we're at it ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am glad 2010 is over!It has been crazy! There were times I didnt think my marriage was going to last till the end of the year,plus, we had a big adjustment financially because of my dh job loss aug 2009.
But my charity tool off like never before and my nephew was bron so there were a couple of positives. I think that this was a good year to go through though because it got priorities straight and it also was a wake up call to getting on the right path and we had to face our marriage problems also.
2011- make my marriage more of a priority and be out of consumer debt by the end of the year and go to TN in April. If the consumer debt is paid I wil also be able to cut back on my work schedule which is another goal :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got my own place for DD and me, I started taking a course.

2011 goals

ER- 1000
School fund-1000
weight loss goal-40lbs

Not sure how I am going to do the ER goal, or School fund but will do my best.
Pay down CC.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
2010 started off pretty good was making extra payments on cc trying get it so i could pay it off this year.Then i had to go to a hospital in another town have both eyes operated on. and skin cancer taken off my forehead down to right eye was 22 stiches.then my daughter that live out of state had breast cancer went to stay 2 weeks with her.we both surviced doing pretty good i still have problems seeing.Was looking forward to 2011 then the 17 of Dec.found out my brother have stage 4 brain cance,lung cancer and stomach cancer.So not looking forward to 2011 after all.Just trying to do the best i can under the circustance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.