Frugal Village Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we going to try for a sewing challenge in 2010? I have a ton of fabric that needs to be sewn up. I'm pausing on the quilts, though I have a few in mind. I really want to sew some clothes for myself this year. Plus maybe some tote bags, etc.

Anyone else interested? I'm thinking a project a week or maybe a month...depending what it is...or maybe just listing what we're working on at the beginning of each week, and what we need to do next. How does that sound? What do you think? Anyone else up for this?

·
8,714 Posts
~I'm definitely up for a project a week!
I also want to sew some clothes in the upcoming year. I haven't sewn from patterns in years because of frustrating fit problems.
I've been collecting beautiful vintage 50's patterns and I want to make a few of those in 2010 and just become more patient overall in following other people's directions. :crackup:
I'd like to start the first week by making my sleeping cap. I've put that off far too long!~

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh...that's my problem nuisance26. I am a half size, petite. Weird. I'm looking at patterns on Jan. 3rd at Fabricland. I think they're on sale then. I sorted through my patterns today and it's pretty sad. I put half of them in a pile to give away...sigh...

For now my first project is dinner napkins from an old tablecloth. I tore them into 18.5" squares today and will hem them to 18" the first week of January. There will be 12 when I'm done. Means I can throw out some of the old cloth napkins that are permanently stained.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I was young I made all my clothes for school. Then when I was a mother I made a lot of my clothes plus my girls. Off & on thru out the years, I would get the sewing machine out.. But this Christmas I made 34 pairs of felted mittens & I made a discovery.. I missed sewing! So, now I've got all these ideas. I don't know about monthly projects, but, gladly will share any projects. Happy Sewing 2010 :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Peanut with you as a leader we will all accomplish a lot. I have a few little things I want to make ....... like a bag to hold plastic bags, reversible pocketbooks.......they won't take much time so surely, surely even with my Christmas projects I could handle at least one a month.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have lots of fabric that needs to be sewn up as well! I want to make some tote bags, some triangle bags and maybe some little make-up bags and such. I probably won't be doing much sewing in January, but I'll start up again in February! I can't wait to see pictures! :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow Ali Lee! That's a lot of mitts! Glad you're joining us.

Vickilynn: I hope you will share your patterns/finished pics when you make things. I so enjoy seeing what others have done and getting inspiration from them.

Tervsforme: join in anytime! I'm thinking totebags this year too. I have these patterns of things I'd like to sew for the house and for sale.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sure am always up for anything to do with sewing. Though as we move into gardening season my sewing all but stops - still have a few months to get some in.......and heaven only knows I have enough fabric.

Mine will be mainly totes, shirts, and finish a couple quilts.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
One suggestions would be to do the posting by the month - - I think it is easier to find.

Last year we ended up with two or three sewing threads (basically doubles) and it became a bit confusing.

Are we going to have a 'sewing thread' and a 'sewing challenge thread'??? Whatever it is - monthly is easier.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...I was going to make it a challenge thread. Otherwise I tend to lose it. And lose motivation. Are you on dial-up FF?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it sounds like a great idea. I have a huge list of sewing projects that I need to complete. I could probably do one per week depending on what crochet projects I'm working on. And how cooperative my dd is. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to jump in here also. I don't know if I will get all the things done I would like, but I am going to try, try, try to sew more in 2010. Too bad I'm not that great at sewing! =)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would love to see some challenges maybe by month! I need to get better acquainted with my sewing machine, I have great plans for this year! I have no idea how to sew really! I actually have a hard time sewing a straight line! But I am determined to complete some projects for Christmas 2010, so I would love to follow along on this challenge. Some things I would like to try and make are some quilted totes/handbags, a quilted diaper bag, a quilted wallet(man's), and possible just a plain quilt or lap quilt. Small easy to complete projects!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was planning for this challenge to be all about us working on our own thing. I wasn't going to try and think up specific challenges for people. I find that kind of constraining for myself. I think we can all set our own goals and work towards them together and share our process and results as we go along.

My goal is simply a project every payday...every two weeks. If I do more, great! If not...sigh...we'll see... Really it depends on the complexity of the project. I have a few in mind that will take awhile to complete.

I'm off to look at my wardrobe and come back with a list of things I want to sew in 2010. I think that's the best place for me to start.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Without a machine, it takes me a long time to complete a sewing project, however, one of my general goals for 2010 is to engage in more creative endeavors throughout the year.

I know, right now, that I am going to sew a quilt for a friend who is pregnant and is due in July. She is planning on finding out the gender of the baby, so I may not get started until then. Although, I have tons and tons of fabric scraps, so perhaps if I small squares, I can find gender neutral fabric and then just add a gender specific backing.

I plan on saving up and looking for an easy to use machine, and if that happens, then I am hoping to start making some cute summer dresses for dd, as well.

·
19,119 Posts
Cute summer dresses would look good on you too Amy!!

LB - I am so glad that you joined too - I'll be certain to be giggling as I sew!!

Vickilynn - I was thinking of making plastic bag holders out of seasonal fabric. Used to make them to sell at craft fairs - very popular - and I need to make more!!

Need to think about what I am going to sew first - these kinds of decisions are fun!!

mahalo for getting us started peanut!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Hmmm...I was going to make it a challenge thread. Otherwise I tend to lose it. And lose motivation. Are you on dial-up FF?
No, not on dial up.

Can't the challenge threads go by the month? We have some others that are listed by month......don't understand.

·
19,119 Posts
That makes sense FF - to have challenges by the month and hobby interests be an annual thread. It really doesn't matter to me because I'll find them all anyway. Whatever you all decde will work great!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I see both posted and can remember when we broke the sewing one down to monthly......just wondering if they were supposed to be a certain way if they were a challenge.

Water challenge went all year........spend challenge went by the month.

1 - 20 of 694 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.