Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Further chat with DH. We've decided he should keep taking the car to work because of the cold weather. It will also keep me out of the stores.

If he leaves the car home, I tend to take it places to visit with friends...and do errands on the way. Sometimes those are unnecessary 'errands' or end up in spontaneous spending.

So with a bus pass costing $59CAD/mth., and gas for him to take the car to work costing $70/mth., it's really about an even wash. Especially by the time you figure in any driving and spending I might do.

From now on we shop together or not at all. Best way to keep control of both of us.

Right now our sinking fund is at $8000. Gotta figure out a budget for the next pay period to see if we can set aside $1000.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have the envelopes ready (which is where I will begin saving all my monies-moving later probably). I have started adding cash to some, but only Christmas cash I had on hand. I will update as I can.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
Peanut - one thing that I learned (the hard way) is to make sure that I label everything I put in the freezer - with the date too!! It also helps to have a master list on the freezer door too!!

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Peanut - one thing that I learned (the hard way) is to make sure that I label everything I put in the freezer - with the date too!! It also helps to have a master list on the freezer door too!!
I am trying to learn that too. Today I got out mystery sauce. I couldn't tell if it was hot dog chili or spaghetti sauce. I got lucky. It was in fact spaghetti sauce and DS and I had another pantry/freezer meal.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
DH isn't sure we can put aside $1000 this paycheck...in fact, he thinks we'll be lucky to be able to put aside $700 a paycheck...sigh... back to the drawing board! I'm analyzing last year's expenses with a fine tooth comb starting today... The goal is to come up with a new proposed budget for 2010 and run it under DH's nose sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Peanut, sounds like you and your DH are making some great decisions together. Always so much easier when the husband and wife are working together and in agreement on what needs to be done.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So when we are doing this challenge what is the best way to add our contributions? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Or does it not really matter?

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Luckybustart: It didn't always used to be that way. In 2008 I posted a thread called the Money Makeover. In which I confronted a lot of DH's attitudes head on.

Anyone who reads that thread can sense how frustrated I was with him. Well, because of the MM we were able to get ourselves on track and have the relationship we do now with money. You're right. It's so much nicer to have him on board!

JoJoBean: I don't think it matters much. I'm putting mine aside every time we get paid. That way it becomes a habit.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am sticking in a little at a time, so I was hoping to post progress in at the end of each month

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am sticking in a little at a time, so I was hoping to post progress in at the end of each month
Sounds good Qsaver704. I think whatever works is the best approach to take!

I finished going through last year's expenses while the plumber was here today. Have some grocery receipts to analyze yet, but that will take awhile. I've managed to alter some areas and come up with a revised budget that DH agrees with in theory. We'll see how it works out.

This resulted in revising the sinking fund account. We're just worrying about this year. Next year will take care of itself. We decided against the trip to Denmark...at least not this year. No money. From comments the plumber made we will probably have a more expensive kitchen reno than we'd like. Ugh...

Anyway...our renewed sinking fund for this year...

$3000 trip to see girls in the Maritimes
$15,000 kitchen renovations
$4950 taxes and insurance
$1200 gifts to give (birthdays and Christmas)
$2000 furniture and appliances

TOTAL $26,150

Hmmm...that's still $2179CAD/month, BUT we have $8000 already set aside in the sinking fund...so $18,150 divided by 12 = $1512/mth.

I think we can do this. But it's going to mean severe cutting back! DH and I are picking up some of our frugal techniques from earlier days to see if we can find a way to have a fun frugal year...and still get things done around here.

Next stop is to analyse those grocery receipts...

·
19,119 Posts
Well, there is still 4 1/2 hours left of 2009 here, so I still have time to pull out the insurance receipts and figure out what our sinking fund should/will be for 2010. I shall return!!..before 2010!!

·
19,119 Posts
Okay - I would like my sinking fund to cover:

Life ins.
HO ins.
Umbrella Ins.
Car ins.
Alaskan cruise

The total need for the above is $8400.
I will need to put $350 twice monthly.

Now I need to figure out how I am goiong to do it!!
I have a goal and I will fund it!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
You go, Maui!

That Alaskan Cruise should give you ALOT of motivation! :smball:

·
19,119 Posts
That's what I am planning/hoping Surilda!!

DH was just talaking with a friend from San Francisco and started me thinking that maybe we could swing by there to for a short visit before or after our cruise!!! I'm often accused of overplanning!!

Happy New Year and may all our dreams come true!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
We have a few things we are focusing on this year....

Christmas
painting the house
front yard redo

Not sure about amounts yet, we are still crunching numbers!

·
19,119 Posts
Calimom - nice variety of goals there!! Looking forward to seeing how much painting the house will be. Will you do it yourselves or hire someone?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Calimom - nice variety of goals there!! Looking forward to seeing how much painting the house will be. Will you do it yourselves or hire someone?
Dh thinks we should do it ourselves but then it might be next year or the year after before it gets done! :D I think we will get a few quotes and see where we go from there!

·
19,119 Posts
Good thinking calimom!! What colors are you thinking of using?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok, I transferred money today to my third account and
started my sinking fund with $10.00. I will be adding to
that weekly and some weeks I can put more in than that.
It would have been more than $10 if I had not had to miss
work the last two days.

For now, my EF money is also going into the third account
and I am keeping track of how much for each fund on
Excel forms.

I am trying to decide whether to open a fourth account,
or open an ING account for just my EF fund. I will
definitely want to wait until I have more than $34.00...lol

It just feels great to get started, even if it is only $10.00!

·
4,028 Posts
estimated goals:

Disney 0/1,600
Window Replacement/Home Repair 0/2,500

Thankfully for Disney, we already have the hotel/park passes in the bank and air fare has already been paid. At least it will not be a vacation that follows us home. We also have over estimated the cost of the windows but better safe than sorry. We expect our tax return to help fund both of these but they will still take focus.

21 - 40 of 122 Posts