Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a challenge for those of us who have something big we want to do, which will require a lot of little things to make it happen.

This isn't meant for basic financial goals (debt-free, savings, etc.), but might have a financial component. For example, maybe you want to start a business or change careers and you need to save a particular amount beforehand - but you also have a hundred other random little things that will help get you closer to that goal as well.

The basic idea here is to state the main goal that you are working toward - even if it seems unrealistic or impossible right now. Then think about all the things you can do to prepare for it, and just start doing them (and posting about them). Don't worry about having a big list ready from the get go - you can add things as they occur to you.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My big goal, as many of you already know, is to move back home. We have a target date of July 2011, but I want to be ready at the drop of a hat whenever an opportunity comes up.

In order to be ready, I need:
  • money - $40000 is the target
  • to have the house sell ready
  • to be personally ready to go any time
  • my husband to finish some courses
  • a place to live after moving

Those are the major breakdowns that I can see so far. Each one requires a lot of little things to get there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I want my grandson to become much more self-sufficient. My kids still need far too much done for them, and I see the chance to change that with 8 year old Josh. Right now we are concentrating on cooking (of course he's not allowed near the stove) and picking up after oneself.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Need a change...

I have lived in the same town almost all of my life...I lived at home for the first 18 years...The next 7 years we lived in apartments within driving distance of my childhood home.. My dad lived by himself and I wanted to be close enough to help him. The next 14 years I have lived a mile and half up the road from my childhood home. During those 14 years i would have loved to have moved however it wasn't an option because out of three children I was the only one that was near enough to my dad to help him out when needed.. Don't get me wrong.. he helped me out whenever i needed him also..This past spring he passed away and i really have no family ties to the area anymore and have decided that i just want to sell both houses.... his house and our house and take that money and move to a place where we can be mostly self sufficient.

However there is a lot to plan in regards to this.....I am not against moving out of state...and I need to find the cheapest place to live...I have three children one that is almost 21 so he is mostly grown and will go his own way..however if he wanted to move with us that would be fine...another son that is 14 and a daughter who is 8 so I would be taking two children with us for sure...

So need a savings account of roughly 80,000
Need to find a great place to live
Wow thanks for this post it really gets you thinking...

If anyone knows of any websites etc that show the cheapest places to live economically...i would love to see them.

Reactions: monkeywrangler71

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My Goal

2010 Tiny Steps Towards Giant Goal Challenge:

1. I want to learn how to walk again; without a cane or medical walker. (but it will take more than 2010 tiny steps, LOL)

As I've posted previously, I was crippled by my 2007 flu shot, which did a great deal of nervous system and muscle damage to my entire body. Two years have passed, and I have tried very hard to learn how to walk again unaided, but still can't do it. Statistics indicate that almost all that I can regain will happen within 2-3 years, so this coming year (year #3) is crucial for me.

So this year, I am concentrating on making that happen if it is possible. My major problems are serious balance-control difficulty and persistent muscle-weakness. Some exercise helps, but over-exercise only makes things worse, since it overuses and strains the muscle fibers that remain.
I used to ride a bike all the time (except for wintertime in Canada), could balance on a rock, had instantaneous reflexes. But not now.

Two things I know will help me to achieve my goal:
1. Eating as much protein as possible to grow new muscle fiber.
2. Acquiring as much new-balance as possible through balancing excercises which will stimulate my brain to grow the connections which control involuntary/voluntary balance.

Things I will do:
1. Eat meat and other protein-based foods more often.
2. Draw chalk-lines on my basement floor, and walk them every day without my cane. There is no one there to see me stagger or fall, so no concerns about embarassment.
3. Stand on tiptoes, increasing time as able.
4. (more to come)

* Just lately, I have regained my ability to whistle. My mouth is still crooked, but the right side has healed enough for the muscles to work again, and I can actually whistle songs. That is one of the things I've missed the most; I used to whistle all the time, and it perked up my spirits, and not being able to whistle for 2 years has been a downer.
But I believe I still have hope for recovery from all of this damage. I've trained myself to talk, read and write again. There is a great deal more to do, but every improvement is a wonderful blessing.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realize the title read that way until incognito said it, but I just meant the 2010 as the year, not the number of steps. I wouldn't want to intimidate anyone into not joining because they thought they had to do 2010 things!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to try to get back in to contesting for 2010, hopefully I will be able to win some cash or useful prizes which will allow me to save some extra in my moving account.

Today I started going through my online signins/forums etc. and changed my email address. The current address is one provided by my cable company and would be disconnected if we moved. I have set up a new gmail account for general memberships, as well as another for 2010 contest entries. When I finish, I will only have my personal email contacts still going to my main address with the cable company, then if we move I will just have to send a change of address notification to my friends/family.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Balancing Act begun

Started my 'balancing act' yesterday;
The basement is too cold, so I walked around the rectangle of my unit on the lines of the tiled floors: 20 x one way, then 20 x the other way.
I balanced on my toes for 5-10 seconds at a time, for about 5 minutes.
I ache all over today, and it took a while to get mobile this morning.

MW, just having a little fun with 'a play on words'. :grnwave:

I didn't realize the title read that way until incognito said it, but I just meant the 2010 as the year, not the number of steps. I wouldn't want to intimidate anyone into not joining because they thought they had to do 2010 things!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm still trying to decide what my big project will be. I have so many I'm having trouble narrowing it down to one thing to work on.

Incognito, I wish you the best with this. I have found a lot of practical advice from Dr Jolie Bookspan. Her blog:

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/

I bought 4 of her books and really appreciate her down to earth explanations. I hope you will check out her blog and archives.

Blessings,
Daylily

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Too much at once

Well, yesterday's exertions have given me a set-back. It took me 3 times longer to get my mail today, even with my walker. When I finally got home, I felt as exhausted as if I'd just been hiking the hills.
Seems that balancing is really hard on the body, when I now have fewer or no muscle fibers to take the strain, and if I don't use a cane to compensate.
But what I'm most interested in is working on the chain sequences that are built in the brain during the formation of new or repetetive motions (similar to the changes in the brain that occur during musical training).
(Watching the final credits on the movie "The Bourne Supremacy", reminds me of how my own brain is attempting to build new channels to connect the dots.)

This morning, I found some good info regarding my own particular challenges in an email from Easter Seals regarding "Post-Polio Syndrome". PPS muscle damage and scenario is very similar to GBS damage but to a greater degree. Lists common problems of dysfunction and predictable outcome; realistic but rather hopeless, so I'll reread and try to find some answers for me. The best approach is to be completely honest with myself, learn and do all I can to make changes. Healing is a very slow process with GBS (sometimes described as "Getting Better Slowly".

Dealing with the demyelination of the muscle fibers is the main concern, with some muscle shafts irreparably damaged, while others are left to take on the burden of the damaged fibers. That's why it is important not to overdo exercise, because the remaining muscle fibers (somewhat damaged), cannot stand the strain of their own work plus the extra work of the severely damaged or dead ones.
I've still found the healing process encouraging though, compared to 2 years ago. Dizziness has lessened greatly, compared to the constant dizziness for the first year. Vision has been improving; some fine motor skills returning to upper body; but gross motor skills very difficult to regain in lower body, due to this being the weight-bearing portion of the body. It could be worse, and I'm glad it isn't.

Well, tomorrow's another day.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I'm trying to think of a giant goal and I'm not sure I have anything that's all that big.....not planning to move, start a business, no major physical challenges....what's the littlest a giant goal can be?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I don't think there are any limitations to your goal; just pick one!
OOPS! I mean, one more...I just read your list of challenges at the bottom of the post you wrote! LOL.

:candle:
----------------------

Update on my goals:
1. I will stop touching the walls and furniture for support as I walk around inside my home.
2. I will correct my posture--sitting and standing.
3. When I've made some progress with all of this, I'll start line-walking again to rebuild my balance.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to think of a giant goal and I'm not sure I have anything that's all that big.....not planning to move, start a business, no major physical challenges....what's the littlest a giant goal can be?
Hmm, I guess as little as you want - as long as you don't complete it by Jan. 2 and make the rest of us look bad ;)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on my goals:
1. I will stop touching the walls and furniture for support as I walk around inside my home.
2. I will correct my posture--sitting and standing.
3. When I've made some progress with all of this, I'll start line-walking again to rebuild my balance.
When you start line-walking again don't do 40 laps on the first day!

:turtle: slow and steady, you'll get there.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Great challenge!! I am participating in the twenty wishes challenge, so I could definitely use this thread as a way to plot out how to acheive the things I want to have accomplished by the end of the new year!

·
19,119 Posts
One of the things that I definitely want to do is to go on an Alaskan cruise with DH. This thread is perfect for me to work on the steps that need to be done to accomplish this!!

Incognito - do you qualify for physical therapy? Mahalo for sharing your goals with us - it will be an honor to support you in any way possible.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well, I made it through the day without holding onto the walls.
Anytime I started reaching for a wall, I remembered my goal, and stopped myself. However, I am still catching myself slouching over the internet! Hard to break the poor posture habit.
Oh how I'd love to just jump up and run across the room again!
Keep working, brain...keep building those chains, keep on, keep on.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Incognito, I forgot to mention that Dr Jolie was in two separate accidents that left her unable to walk and she used her own methods to rehabilitate herself. She knows whereof she speaks :)

I'm still trying to pick a giant goal. My problem is I have several and they all require money which I don't have much extra. But some famous person said, I think Abe Lincoln, something about getting yourself ready and then the opportunity will come :)

Daylily

1 - 20 of 80 Posts