Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a christmas fund challenge for my self for 2011.
My goal is to have $600 saved by Dec. 1, 2011.
This will be for the gifts that I don't make, decorations, Xmas dinner and so on. I probably will not spend it all (that's a high amount for us), but want to be really ready next year.

Anyone care to join me?:swave:
I've already got $50 to put into my xmas tin to start with.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
we tend to buy gifts as we find them so it doesnt effect our december budget as much. you have a great idea though with coming up with a christmas fund

i have $50 to my name but i'm in

·
19,119 Posts
TSOOS - you crack me up - always enjoy your perspective!!

Frugal me - great idea!!

We always need to come up with about $1000 for travel at the holidays - Christmas and New Years - and I know that's crazy - but that's just for interisland travel!! Bottom line is that it's the only time the whole family is with DMIL - so it's a priority for all of us.

So I'll need to put $25 (roughly) into svings weekly. Am not sure how I'll do it, but I am in!!

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you ladies have joined me.
I tend to have a better focus on my budgeting goals with some buddies to join me.:hugz:

I'm going to try to put atleast $20 each week into my xmas tin.

·
19,119 Posts
Whew - am glad that I found where this thread was hiding itself - am going to need it more accesible - especially during the next few weeks when our pockets are squeeking!!

I need to do this every Friday - since once a week gets away from my mind too easily. So yesterday I put $25 in an envelope - my first contribution of many!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm in! Thanks for starting this challenge - I just put my first $20 in an envelope this weekend - glad to find this thread! I started my goal small, at $480 ($40/month). We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im also doing a xmas thing. Hubby and I are putting in our silver coins and im depositing them in a xmas club account. So far in the bank we have $55. I have around $27 in coins at home nearly ready to deposit.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm in. Every year I say I'm going to do better and the last couple of years have absolutely continued to get worse from my planning/preparing/being frugal prespective. Once upon a time I did phenomenally well with a VERY limited budget. It came down to being prepared. Somewhere I lost that.

I'm going to shoot for $1000 Chrismas budget this year. It won't necessarily be money in an evnvelope that will be spent in Dec. but as I buy/make/stick money up I'll add it to the total.

The $1000 will be my MAX to cover everything food/gifts/extra time off ect. and I will be shooting to keep it MUCH lower.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whew - am glad that I found where this thread was hiding itself - am going to need it more accesible - especially during the next few weeks when our pockets are squeeking!!

I need to do this every Friday - since once a week gets away from my mind too easily. So yesterday I put $25 in an envelope - my first contribution of many!!

I plan on adding to mine on Fridays also. Maybe I can remember that way!:dust:

Glad you all have joined us!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm in....I started mine the week of this past xmas...as soon as I was done shopping for 2010, I started putting in for 2011....It's like any other bill I constantly contribute to the xmas envelope

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in....I started mine the week of this past xmas...as soon as I was done shopping for 2010, I started putting in for 2011....It's like any other bill I constantly contribute to the xmas envelope

I think you have a great point.
Treat it like a bill, it MUST get done.:grinch:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I do this every year.I save a toonie a day.I have index cards for each month and when I add each toonie to the bag I mark off a day.This way I know exctly where I am at.I roll these up and take to the bank end of Oct to start spending for Christmas.Nov1 it starts all over again.Best plan I ever came up with.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Nothing for January, because of unplanned veterinary costs, but I'll try to catch up in Feb. Not sure if I'll make the whole $200 up, because I am also trying to save money for my sister's birthday in March. Ack!!

·
19,119 Posts
good idea Ashley - that 's what it's there for!1

Made my second deposit on Friday!!

·
19,119 Posts
These funds are going to mount up sooooo quickly!!

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Is it too late to join? My plan is to save $20 a payperiod & have $60 so far. My Christmas budget is around $400 & any extra $$ will be needed for January/February 2012 birthdays. Gotta plan ahead for those too as the budget isn't very flexible right after Christmas.

I really need to figure out that year round shopping thing so I can enjoy the holidays more. Wish I could think up some really neat gifts over the next month or so.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts