Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost never go to Michaels. It feels a lot farther away, which is absurd, since it's only a couple of blocks past the grocery story, but then, why torture myself by making it a regular stop? However, I did go by yesterday because I had been reading about the sale.

Since I've committed to make some baby afghans for charity, I picked up some Pound of Love that I have never used. It is wonderful yarn, and will become a staple. It's not as fine as I expected it to be. I saw some gorgeous variegated in some other brand. It wasn't cheap, but it could be used for a contrast. I didn't get any, but I will remember it.

I also picked up a few skeins of RH. RH is definitely getting softer, as we discussed earlier. Some of the most recent I've gotten I would never in a million years have identified as RH by feeling it. The pale plum I got feels like ILTY.

I just resigned from the Stashbusting challenge on the other forum - before I even got started. As I told them, it was too much enthusiasm, too little memory. I don't do counting challenges well. I rebel very quickly against anything I have to be so precise about. Many there love it, and it's a great idea, just not for me.

Now. I had the big stash, and I've added what I'll need for the baby afghans. I was determined to do it by the first of the year. Come January in a couple of days, the only things on my allowed list are an I and J Clover hook, and I won't get those until HL has a sensible coupon. 30% off Wilton is not a sensible coupon. It's the only place that has them here. I sprang full price for the first one, but they're too expensive to do that more than once.

You know, if we had an inch of snow here, we wouldn't be able to get oil changes and car washes because everything would close down. I can't even imagine shoveling out three times!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I am working on my crochet skills after teaching myself basic stitches several years ago. Nothing fancy, but I am making my little granddaughter a baby doll blanket using the double crochet stitch.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would like to learn to crochet better for 2011, so between this and knitting I would love to make lots of Homemade goodies. First on my list, is a few pairs of mittens. I have no idea how to make them, since my extent of crocheting is potholders....LOL....so for January, I will need to look and find a way to crochet mittens. I would love for them to match the scarves I have been knitting. To make matching sets for xmas 2011. If anyone has any tips or websites or videos to share I would love to see them! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey, all! I didn't know we had a crochet corner. ;) I have gotten away from crochet for 3 reasons.
1. I have a few ufo's that I really don't like the way they are turning out, so I have left them be. I should frog them
2. I am almost out of yarn - all I have left is half skiens in different weights and colors, and I don't have a budget for yarn - I need to do that!
and 3. I have a half-a-tote-full of crochet goodies that I don't know what to do with! I enjoy crochet, but don't really know what to do with the finished product. There are only so many blankets one family can have. I have enough scrubbies, potholders, accents, etc. I don't do clothing well - my stitch height is off and I don't know why. Not to mention usually you need more expensive yarns for clothing.

So anyway, you say Red Heart is getting softer? I may have to drag myself into walmart and take a look!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am working on my crochet skills after teaching myself basic stitches several years ago. Nothing fancy, but I am making my little granddaughter a baby doll blanket using the double crochet stitch.
She will love it! An idea would be to go to the library and try and find a book that shows stitches with beginner patterns. That is how I started expanding. Also YouTube is a great resource for showing stitches. There are so many thinks that can be made with just single and double stitches! Unfortunately not enough time though. :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When I first taught myself to crochet,(back in the dark ages, the 70's) I made myself a hat that had a floppy brim. It was crocheted with a synthetic raffia type of material. I really liked that hat until (of course) I got tired of it. It is long gone, don't know what happened to it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My daughter knit a ton of fingerless gloves in the last couple of weeks and I crocheted scarves. She sold them to teachers and students and a lot of people that we know. In three weeks she made over $200.00. She got the pattern for the gloves at JoAnn's, it was a freebie.

·
2,688 Posts
1. I have a few ufo's that I really don't like the way they are turning out, so I have left them be. I should frog them
2. I am almost out of yarn - all I have left is half skiens in different weights and colors, and I don't have a budget for yarn - I need to do that!
and 3. I have a half-a-tote-full of crochet goodies that I don't know what to do with! I enjoy crochet, but don't really know what to do with the finished product. There are only so many blankets one family can have. I have enough scrubbies, potholders, accents, etc.
So anyway, you say Red Heart is getting softer? I may have to drag myself into walmart and take a look!
UFO's...frog them and free up the yarn.
Yarn bargains....check thrift shops and garage sales.
Finished items....you can make a few things for charity.

Red heart softer ?.......I don't think so......but it fits my budget....

Reactions: madjen and Labontet

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really did the opening post poorly. My only excuse is that it was, as you can see, in the middle of the wee hours of the morning.

Welcome to all of you are finding us. It would be wonderful to have more Villagers here. This isn't a challenge, just a fun place to drop by and talk about our crocheting, and yarn, and hooks, and ...

Warning -- you will be nagged for pics of your projects by Frugalfranny! But we all love to see them.

Shelli_wnj: I don't have a yarn budget either. Sadly, that never stops me. But I've built up a huge stash, mostly through a spectacular clearance at Hobby Lobby I happened upon during the summer, and a few good sales. Joann's and Hobby Lobby have lots of coupons so you can get some good deals, especially if you use "no dye lot" yarn and can buy it as you go along.

Red Heart - the improvement is spotty. It may be that the newer manufacture is better, and it is mixed with old stock. But there does seem to be a change.

What to do with crochet items? I don't need anything either. I crochet lapghans for a hospice program, and will be doing some baby blankets this year. These all go to a local hospital. I have donated lapghans to a local organization that helps homeless families start over. On another forum, a lot of people seem to crochet hats and scarves for the homeless. Just check around with organizations like that or local hospitals, maybe nursing homes. For me, the fun is just in the making.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Am I at the right place? I am still working on my rug, trying to get the rolls or curling out of it. So It will probably take me another year!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I haven't done anything since my Mom gave me my first lesson. Now that the holidays are over, I hopefully will have a chance sooner rather than later to give it a whirl! :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
After this weekend I need to pick that baby blanket back up and finish it. :thud: I promised I wouldn't start anything else until that was done. Then I will be starting scrubbies for gift bags for Christmas 2011. :D

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Red heart softer ?.......I don't think so......but it fits my budget....
Oh I do. They have one called RH soft (or maybe it is softy) now and it isn't bad at all.

However, I did go by yesterday because I had been reading about the sale.

I saw some gorgeous variegated in some other brand. It wasn't cheap, but it could be used for a contrast.

I can't even imagine shoveling out three times!
Maybe our Michaels weren't having the same things on sale...........mine had one called Loops and Threads Impeccable..........that was $1.99 per skein.....192 yards per skein. Nice variegated colors..........but of course...........none of the solids matched them perfectly.

I am going to go into 'full rebellious mode' here shortly over this variegated stuff........with nothing in the same brand that matches and start writing some companies!!! :yikes: I think that is even a STUPID business decision. If you are going to make some gorgeous variegated yarn why not make something to go with it???? Even fabric companies often make a 'whole line' of fabric that all intermingles with colors!!!!

Well.......dcomp........shoveled 3 times yesterday.......and once this morning BEFORE I went to the Dr (10:20).........sick with sinus and ear infection. Don't even ask how my days have been going...:laugh:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the RH, I think it's incremental. I have some older skeins, same color, that are noticeably different. I need to try to use that up first. And it doesn't seem to be all the colors. Some of the new skeins I get are still it's old ucky scratchy self.

You go, FF! Chew out the companies. I should send some e-mails too.

At our Michaels, ALL the yarn was on sale, some sales better than others. But I got the Lion Pound of Love for 5.99, which is a good price for here. There's a lot of yarn in those skeins! RH was 2.29 - I picked up three skeins of Ocean, one of the ombres I really like. (Lt Periwinkle is good with it.

By the way FF - did you get the Giant Granny completely finished? Are you snuggling up under it? You have way too much snow. Get well fast, though that seems unlikely if you spend all your days out in the cold shoveling.

Edited to confess I lied. It was RH Sunshine Print I got at Michaels. I think.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I hope you feel better soon FF! :hugz:

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Ok guys, I got the crocheting for dummies book for Christmas...lol, I have No idea what I'm doing now!! Now I need to figure out what I'm doing right and wrong. Maybe I will just fake it for now, The rug doesnt look that bad, execpt for the rolling.lol

I'm still working on a picture.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Hi i am hoping to get some crocheting done this year - have the yarn i need just need to find right patterns and get moving on them !

1 - 20 of 646 Posts