Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I have been very focused on making progress on my financial to do list, which is things I am doing to improve our general overall financial situation in the coming months/year. This covers a multitude of topics (insurance, debt, investments, savings, fee reduction, etc.). As you can see, I’ve made a tremendous amount of progress for having just started in January. However, this will be a living breathing list that will likely always be changing and updating.

If anyone else would like to post a general list of their own plans and share their progress, feel free to do so. It may help highlight areas I (and others) should be including.

:cheer4:

In Process/Future

* Get Quicken updated and balanced.

* Set up wills.

* Doublecheck all financial account beneficiaries to ensure the contact information is up to date.

* Update financial side of emergency kit/preparations.

Ongoing

* Continue snowballing debts with a goal to having all credit card debt paid off in 2014 so long as we can afford to

* Do at least one "project" that focuses on finances each month.

* Attend at least one finance related workshop/webinar or read one finance related book or magazine each month so that I become better educated on money.

* Increase efforts with couponing.

Completed

* Meet with insurance agent for an insurance checkup, to be sure we have the right kinds of insurance, check what riders/deductibles/limits we have, update appraisals, see if we need to make any adjustments or changes.

* Transfer 401(k) from my prior job to our IRA account.

* Transfer hubby’s old 401(k) to our IRA account.

* Meet with Schwab representative to set up professional portfolio management.

* Call credit card company and ask for a reduction in the interest rate on our credit card.

* Establish flexible spending accounting using 2% social security reduction for the year, to cover some upcoming medical expenses that are only partially covered by my health insurance.

* Get wedding rings appraised.

* Submit paperwork to join class action lawsuit against 53.

* Review our cell phone contract and see when it expires.

* Order a copy of our credit report.

* Set up appointment with new dentist.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll join you with our financial goals for 2011.

In Process/Future
* Set up wills.

* Put together our legacy drawer.

* Doublecheck all financial account beneficiaries to ensure the contact information is up to date.

* Meet with insurance agent for an insurance checkup, to be sure we have the right kinds of insurance, check what riders/deductibles/limits we have, update appraisals, see if we need to make any adjustments or changes.

* Start fully funded emergency fund.

* Get grocery bill down!

* Find a financial advisor.

* Order a copy of our credit reports - should be able to do this next month.

Ongoing
* Continue snowballing debts with a goal to having all debts paid off (other than the mortgage) by the end of 2012. Stretch goal of having it all paid off by October 2012. Two more to go!

* Read a financial and/or personal improvement book per month.

* Figure out financial donations to organizations which we normally support.

Completed

* Paid off first of three accounts for the year.

* Stand-alone 30 year term life insurance policies have been signed, checks sent in.

G

·
I'll be happy to share mine:

To Do

* Set up wills.

* Set up a safe deposit box with account info, logins/passwords, etc. just in case.

* Meet with insurance agent to get life insurance. We have some small policies and stuff through work, but not enough.

* Set up a plan for charitable giving. We donate "when asked," but I'd like to get something set up on a recurring basis.

*Finish working with Quicken to get a more complete financial system. I need to add a few more of the investment accounts and set up some sort of budget in there.

Completed

*Set up automatic investments into my Roth IRA

*Increased DH's 401K contribution and DS's 529 contribution

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great List! Accountability is good!
Some of mine are:

Finish taxes
Call around for better car ins rates before renewal in April
Life Insurance
Renters Insurance
Wills
Engagement/wedding rings appraised
Increase withholding for 2011
research safe deposit box prices
Increase income

In Progress:

Debt Snowball
Ebay/ Craiglist Sales

Completed 2011

Paid off credit cards
Reduced Rent by $555/ total estimated savings of 9k in 2011
Updated Net Worth Document

·
19,119 Posts
Very impressive. Still working on ours - should have our yearly plan roughed out by the end of this weekend.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Holy Mackerel! I'm very impressed!

I haven't thought much about it lately so I'll need to work on this.

the one thing I WILL do is get my will done. I saved the money specifically for this and now its time to do it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
After my own heart, you are, cuz I am a list maker! To do: update will to change kids guardian and double check life ins.$ split between them (3 kids from 2 marriages), set up hubbys 401k at work when offered in another few months (new job not eligible yet), quit smoking (both health and financial gains to be made there) ongoing: erase last <13k non mortgage debt by end of year, contribute $3k+ to retirement, get $5k+ balance in savings, read at least 12 financial books by years end (have 2 check list,think I have 7 left to go), get ebay/etsy listings going again, bring in at least $40 a month may-Sept (yard sale season)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would like to win the lottery in 2011.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.