Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1048 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who want to continue (or resume after a hiatus) our budget challenge of 2010.

I left it at $355/month last year, so in January, I am going to try to knock it down by $5/month. That would result in a grocery savings of almost $500 by the end of the year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This will go hand in hand with the menu planning challenge. I've almost completely fallen off the wagon and my groceries are averaging over $600 per month. With the addition of my brother moving in it's only going to get harder to keep on budget. I'm shooting for $500 a month.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
35 Posts
I NEED to get back to menu planning. I have a household/grocery budget of $800 per month.

I am going to spend $600 on food per month, and that is it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does this include everything, such as tp, pet food, soap, etc? If so, put me down for $600 a month.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is really up to you how you want to craft it. For me, it includes groceries, but that means all the groceries I buy for my pets as well. But it doesn't include hay for the livestock, pellets for the parrots, etc. I really ought to set up a separate budget for that, because I don't even know how much I spend on THAT every month!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I'm in for next year.

Since DS is now at school, I have to feed 3 adults, 1 dog, and two cats. I include food, pet food, and HBA. I was doing well at $300 per month once DS left but I want to get it down to $200. I will start in January at $275 and see how that goes. :)

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm definitely in on this one. I spend way too much money on groceries. I need to take stock on what I have and definitely need to plan better. I'm going to start out at $350 for the month, not including pet food and see how I do.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i am shooting for 560 a month - for everything - grocery store wise- food-cleaning - paper beauty- pet food etc

thats what i have in my budget but i havent been keeping track and didnt change it in the spring when oldest ds moved home after grad college so i am sure i have been spending more .

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would love to do this... i really need to be more accountable with the money

that leaves the budget...

I am going to go with $500 a month for a family of four humans and 2 dogs and 2 cats and on hamster..this needs to include groceries, toiletries, dog and cat food and hamster food and shavings....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
With just me at home, I am going to keep it to $100 a month. This will be strictly for groceries. I have personal care items and dog food in a separate budget item.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I would like to join this challenge and need it bad. I'm going for 450.00 and hopefully can lower that!

Nice to see you back, Madhen. :) You've been missed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Count me in! I really need to make and stick to a budget in 2011... $500/month for 3 humans, 1 cat and 3 pups. Hoping to get down to $400/month by the end of 2011. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i'm aiming for $200. including takeout

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I am in. But I am going to lurk for a little bit to see what others do before I come up with a $ amount to post. .

I am trying to stockpile the best I can so I feel that this will "Blow the Amount Out of The Water".

·
Registered
960 Posts
Count me in for $100 a month. That's just for groceries and stockpile. I was under my budget the first quarter of 2010, but went over budget consistently the rest of the year. I hope I can keep it averaging $100... but prices seem to be going up.

Good to see you back, Madhen!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure how this challenge works but am interested so I'll be back later to post if and how much I'll jump in with.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I first started it in 2010, my personal challenge was to reduce my grocery spending by $15/month. I determined, over a couple of months, what I typically spent, then started working on it. So the challenge is basically just to try, each month, to spend a little less than you did the month before. Because a lot of people stockpile, some don't count that in their budget, for the purpose of the challenge.

1 - 20 of 1048 Posts