Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Resurrected from the ashes)

For 2011, I'd like to try, every day, to do one thing that advances my ability to rely on my own resources, rather than others, for my existence.

Not sure what I'll do each day. Some days might be as simple as collecting eggs from my chickens or produce from my trees. Some days might be learning a new skill or starting a new project.

I'll post my results, and if anyone else cares to join me, I'd love to hear of their efforts and projects (and possibly steal some of them to do myself!).

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would like to join in. This winter I have sadly realized my inability to care for my family in a self-sufficient way. My husband always did all of that. With him away most of the time, I am just not keeping up with everyhting. Even something as simple as chopping wood is above me right now! First I need to locate the wood! LOL I may end up stealing A LOT of ideas :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
A great resurrection madhen! I loved this thread. Now I don't have chickens .....unfortunately but I will try my best at other things. :)

The other day I did plant basil in my little herb pot I bought from walmart and they are sprouting so maybe soon I will be able to harvest them rather than buying from the store. :)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today, I:
  • ate chili that I made myself;
  • heated the house with wood (that I split);
  • knitted someone a present for V-Day.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Today I made homemade old fashioned candy. No more store bought for us.
Worked on my knitted socks. Although I don't think making them instead of storebought is feasible due to how long it takes me to make a pair!

·
19,119 Posts
WTG ladies!! Mahalo Madhen for starting this and DC for giving me an idea or two!!

Today I crocheted some Valentines Day goodies.
Also made some laundry detergent.

·
Registered
816 Posts
today I cooked all meals from scratch. does homeschooling count? I could put that every day and have all but weekends covered 'till summer :D

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Homeschooling does count, and feel free to brag about it daily! :)

I had a kind of pathetic self-sufficiency day. Stuck at work all day, so about the only thing I can lay claim to is that I composted this morning.

I also stopped off at a brand new hydroponics store that opened up near my house and learned all about how to grow plants hydroponically, if I so choose. (Also learned that they carry FoxFarm fertilizers and soil there - one of my favourite brands.) Apparently, the guy behind the counter was bored, because he basically gave me the advanced course in what you need to know to grow without soil!! I felt badly that I didn't buy anything from him, but I told him at the outset that I was there only to see if he had a book on the subject (which he did not, but I would have bought, after he spent so much time showing me the equipment and drawing little diagrams as to how it all works).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
heated with wood we cut and split
homeschooled
gathered eggs

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oh, I forgot the coal stove! I heat with coal :) That's a self sufficiency thing! I homeschooled today, and I also baked bread from scratch. Now I just need to figure out how to use the stove to bake the bread.... :)

·
19,119 Posts
Made laundry detergent

I am counting this next one: DH and I have a reason and the funds to celebrate something and I was going to suggest going out to Outback for dinner. Instead I went to the grocery store and got for $29.......

3 small steaks
1 lb jumbo shrimp
wonbok
hot dog rolls
24 turkey hot dogs
6 Roma tomatoes
1 large onion
4 litres soda

I think this is definitely selfsufficient!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd love to get in on this, though I'll probably be gathering far more ideas than I'm contributing!

Today, I homeschooled and made homemade bread. I also, for the first time in probably 10 years, ate leftovers (pot roast and potatoes and carrots that I cooked in the crock pot---also a first---a couple of days ago.) My dh nearly keeled over when I told him!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
We burned wood in our wood stove that we cut and split.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I knitted and crocheted today. All read a homesteading self sufficiency book. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
today I homeschooled and continued to heat the house with coal. I also realized I need to learn to can (and get a canner!)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
For the last couple of days I have been

knitting and crocheting
Made homemade Spanish rice instead of using the prepared boxes
Been using my homemade laundry detergent
Making a list of garden seeds that I will need this year
I have been researching quite a bit on the web trying to find new ideas.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put the donkeys and goats out on pasture;
Set up my new compost bin;
Bought vegetable plants;
Collected seven eggs from the hens;
Bought fruit trees and planted them.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts