Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this thread for the New Year. This is where we post our sewing projects for each month and work on completing them.

I did a pretty spectacularly bad job last year. Too much company and a lot of knitting sidetracked me. This year I've got to get busy. Lots to do. My sewing room is all cleaned up and ready to go. :)

How about you?

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo Peanut - figured you'd get us going in good form!!

I need to clean out my sewing room and I do not want to give fabric away - so shall be sewing up a storm for sure!!

First thing I need to sew is the backing for my King size Hawaiian quilt. After that is sewn, shall be moving my progress over to the quilting thread.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm starting with sewing gift bags for next Christmas. And the cover for the wool mattress pad.

·
19,119 Posts
What fabrics are you using for your gift bags Peanut?
How do you know what size to make them?

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up some Christmas print fabric at Fabricland 60% off on Boxing Day. I'm going to make a variety of sizes, as well as a few large ones. We seemed to be short large ones and small ones. Found out today DH has been telling people to keep the bags when he gives a gift in them. :lol:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm going to be sewing some of those wool mittens, I just need to go to the thrift store to get the wool sweaters for the mittens. I saw this video and they seem easy to make! Studio 5 - Recycled Mittens

·
19,119 Posts
Great idea Trisha!! Would love to see pictures when you're done!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Hope to get some done but probably mostly quilting.

Although I do want to get a robe made.......have had the fabric for about three threes.........better get busy before the moths get to it!! And my other one is getting pretty funky looking.

Another pair of fleece pants would be nice too but I can't find a color that I don't already have!! :laugh: (guess I should clean out first!!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got quite a few projects to do this year so I'll join....can't promise I'll complete everything on time but will certainly try.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I'm in. Thanks for getting us started. Pj pants and fabric envelope for the DR envelope system are on my list. Also some tableoths and tablerunners. I have big plans for the new year so as soon as DS is back at school and the Christmas decorations are put away, the sewing machine is coming out! :)

·
19,119 Posts
DC - would love to find more about your Fabric envelopes that you are making please!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am not following a pattern MM. I will just measure the size of a dollar bill and then add a little for expansion......hoping for lots of bills to be added over time. :D

I will add a zipper for safe keeping. I think they will be better than paper envelopes. :)

Reactions: piney and mauimagic

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trisha: Thanks for posting that link! I think I found another project. ;) I have some old sweaters of DH's and some scrap fleece I could put to use.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did some sewing this past year, but didn't post much.

Now oldest dd needs more school pants. I made her two pairs and and fleece jacket yesterday, plus cut out three more pants. She got pretty mad at me because I kept making her try on things so that I could hem them correctly and get the waist to fit. She's autistic and plus-sized, so the clothes fit better if I make them for her. But, boy, was I ever interrupting her valuable time to make her try on things. LOL!

·
19,119 Posts
How many envelopes are you making DC?

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Four gift bags down...at least another 4 to go.

I also have a raft of organza leftover from my stitching class at Seminar this year. I'm thinking it might make good gift bags too. But what would you put in a see-through gift bag? I've seen these things with wine in them, but nothing else. DH and I don't give alcohol as a gift. What else could I use leftover .2m strips of organza for?

I think my goal this year is going to be to use up the fabric I have in my sewing room. I gave a grocery bag of it away this fall. Just too much of it and not enough time to sew it all.

Maybe I should post photos of fabric with yardage and content and get you gals to give me some ideas...?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to join with you ladies. I plan on making as many gifts as possible for next Christmas.

Yesterday I made an adult apron for my dd; still want to do 2 more for her dd's. Her birthday is coming up. Also want to make some dresses for dgd. I have a quilt on the frame (been there way to long) to finish for my dh. That's on my list of to do.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
How many envelopes are you making DC?
12 I think MM. I will have to look at my list. We currently don't use the envelope system but want to start this new year. :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Peanut those organza bags would be nice for food treats too. :)

Reactions: Labontet and peanut

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm in on this one as well. I have tons of fabric and lots of ideas. Tablerunners, wall hangings, tote bags, embroidered towels, some in-the-hoop projects for my embrodery machine and quilts. Whew....

1 - 20 of 898 Posts