Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 559 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm going to join in on this one! I've not done it before but have spent a lot of time thinking of the things I'd love to do this next year!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Joining again as well -- will try to get my list together this week!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am working on my list!! :)

Are they small things, or huge things? I kind of wanted to set small realistic doable things. Things that will make my life a little better but when combined will make them great!! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I want in too. I never read the posts for last year until recently. It's a wonderful idea. I've been waiting to see this challenge come up and have been thinking about my list for a bit but have yet to come up with 20 things. Will work on it and be back later.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fairydana: they can be big or small...doesn't matter. It's up to you entirely. :) Just has to be 20 things you want to accomplish this year.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay back with list. Hope to accomplish all these tasks and maybe even add more.

1. Visit friends in South Texas for the weekend.
2. Read 2 new books each month.
3. Display a new inspirational quote on fridge each week.
4. Channel my inner Pollyanna every day.
5. Visit relatives near Austin
6. Make apple and peach butter and make some type of jam.
7. Work on afgan to take to football games..in school colors.
8. Learn to make caramels.
9. Learn to use pastry bag and tips as well as possible.
10. Use my Kichen Aid more and try out the attachments.
11. Try to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, and jalapenos.
12. Get a pressure canner and learn to use it.
13. Keep in better contact w/friends & family out of town.
14. Implement a girls night out.
15. Movies w/hubby once a month..make him happy
16. Write in journal daily.
17. Learn to make more basic food items from scratch.
18. Float the river with grandkids.
19. Go somewhere for 35th anniversary.
20. Save money so I can do something special for another family
at Christmas.

Can I add more throughout the year?....cause I know I'll come up with some really good ones later on.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure! I added a couple extras last year. One was real challenging and fun...learn about classical music and opera. Because I'm on a budget I couldn't take classes at the local university. Also no car to get there in winter. DH takes it to work. So I found a way to use library material and university lectures on DVD. Lots of fun!

So yeah, long winded, but you can add throughout the year if you wish. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
thanks peanut!! Workin on my list!! :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am in, too!

I will work on my list and get it posted by the 1st.

I soooo need this!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I'm in. MY goals are

1. Figure a way to work at home that will generate at least 500 a month.
2. Pay down all possible debt apart from the house
3. Save some for an Emergency fund (all you-know-what broke loose this last month and so now that's gone.)
4. lose 50 lbs
5. find more ways to reduce our living costs
6. Begin early making Christmas gifts to put away for next Christmas
7. Get the family to my home to see my side of the family for some part of the summer
8. Write my "Bucket List"
9. Expand my garden
10. Bible/prayer time
11.-20 I will have to think more on.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. Our budget was finalized today. Tomorrow I sit down and figure out what I can afford to do this year. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My "wish list" for 2011

1. Make 2 new recipes per month
2. To declutter and organize the entire house and garage
3. Lose a pound a week (or so) my goal is 40? pounds by next Christmas (will know exact number on 1 Jan)
4. Read my Bible daily
5. To save money in my change jar to be used for misc. expenses
6. To finish reading 2 books per month (24 for year)
7. To improve my daily and weekly personal care
8. To fling 2011 items during the year
9. To reduce spending on variable expenses
10. To complete my spring course with an A
11. To eliminate all the boxes of "paper" in the garage
12. -20. to follow

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I looked over my list from 2010 and I pretty much want to do all those things still so I'm keeping the same list. Some of the things, I made progress on and some I didn't.

TWENTY WISHES LIST

1. make a portable bird blind from camo fabric I'm researching this now
2. make a “bird garden” with plants to attract more birds
3. hand tame wild birds at the feeder Winter is the best time to do this so I'm working on this now. I've had chickadees and tufted titmice come to my hand
4. propagate perennials and shrubs to landscape with
5. make my woodland garden pretty again
6. mat and frame Mom's paintings
7. make scrapbooks for paper keepsakes
8. write my family's history I have a list of questions I got online to ask older folks that I'm going through with Mom
9. have a family portrait made
10. get copies of old family photos I've done quite a bit of this but much more to do
11. complete US School of Music piano lessons
12. complete Singorama singing lessons
13. make a CD with DDs and DS (just for us and the grandmas!) We're getting our song list together!
14. find some fellow singers and form a trio or a quartet or a quintet DD2, Sister-in-law and I have sung for church several times. We need to get some other folks involved
15. learn more Spanish
16. write a book
17. study history
18. study the Bible more I'm reading the Bible through and plna to get into some serious study
19. invite neighbors over for a vegetarian meal
20. go to the Creation Museum in Kentucky

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess what I found hiding on my bookshelf? A journal called "Reflections from a Mother's Heart". It's a question and answer format journal. They ask the questions, you write the answers. All about your life and how you think, etc. It is geared to be given to your children. I think I know one of the items that will be on my list for the year. Finish this book. There's an entry for every day of the year. :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Peanut, That's the book DD1 gave me and she gave her father A Father's Legacy which is the same thing for dads. I have been working on these for several years and I really, really want to finish them before DD and SIL come in mid-Jan for Christmas. On our long trips to Hunstville when DD2 was in college there, I would ask DH his questions and write his answers on regular paper. Now, I'm transferring them to the book.

I'm having a hard time with some of the philosophical questions like "Recall for me some of the most important lessons you learned in life". I just can't come up with anything and I'm quite sure I learned some important lessons..lol It's at the end of January. Or "What meaningful advice did you receive from an adult? I can't think of a thing.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had lots of good things for the last one...meaningful advice adults gave me. My grandmother lived with us and was full of sage advice...such as: "don't drink, don't smoke, and wash your panties every day"! :lol3:

I think I've come up with my list for the year. I'm working on breaking them down and determining next actions on all the list. I'm also creating a page in my new "Blank Pages" journal for my January 'to do' list. :) It looks long. DH thinks I'm being overly ambitious. Oh well. If you don't aim high, you certainly won't hit high! :) (another Gram-ism?).

1 - 20 of 559 Posts