Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twelve months, twelve projects.

I noticed, immediately pre-Christmas (which is when I always notice, because it is too late to do it before company arrives) all the projects around the house that I *meant* to do before the end of the year. While it is still fresh in my mind, I am making my list (and checking it twice) of all the moderately difficult projects I have put off for too long. I am sure I can come up with twelve - all those, "Oh, I ought to take care of that" projects that caught my eye throughout the year. I have a section of drywall that needs repairing; the decking needs a new coat of paint; the garden beds need an overhaul; etc; etc; etc....

Who else has a project that is just "itching" to be finished by the end of January?

·
Super Moderator
19,751 Posts
By the end of January, eh? Hmmm...

Okay, I'm in. I really need to get that shelf modification done on my cast iron cookware rack, so I can put my Corningware there. Along with that goes the plexiglass liner for the pull-out in the island where I'm going to move the baking supplies to. The Corningware and baking supplies will be swapping places.

Guess it's time to start editing the ol' siggy.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My January project has to be an indoor project, since it is still too cold and wet here in January to get much done OUTSIDE.

I think I am going to focus on getting my kitchen reorganized. Stuff needs going through, some stuff needs tossing, and I have a new set of pots and pans (thanks, Mom!!) to find room for, so it is a good time to turn my little cramped kitchen into something more functional!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am in. Have lots of projects and for some a short period of time. Need to get my deck area looking nice for DD's graduation. Otherwise, just got lots I want to accomplish

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Im in...January 2012's goal - the bedroom. I think I made this Nov 2011's goal as well but it got 1/2-3/4 done. I want it done, once and for all. So far, I've sorted and purged clothes so they all fit in the dressers properly. I'd like to go through again and thin out the herd - I'll prob do this every 2-3 months actually til I'm down to the bare minimum.

So Jan's goals - thin out the clothing again, go through the boxes of 'stuff' in there and set up the bedroom as I'd like it to be vs settling with how it is now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
HuMMMMM .... I think my January goal for this thread is going to be to purge my kitchen. And if I have left over time in January, I believe starting on our bedroom will be the back up. :) Thank you guys for starting these so that we can move on to the next year. :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Does it count for 2012 if I spent yesterday purging the sewing/craft room and just took EIGHT boxes of stuff to the thrift store? :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I'm in again this year. 2012 is my year to get organized!

For January...

1. Buy 4 totes and go through Ds's things in storage and toss, donate or sell items he no longer wants. I plan on purchasing 4 large totes per month in 2012 and get all items in storage organized so that will be a monthly goal.

2. I will be organizing my kitchen as well. Will be breaking down the cupboards into sections and purging as I organize.

Thanks madhen for getting us started! :)

Reactions: madhen

·
Super Moderator
19,751 Posts
I just went through a tote of stuff I hadn't looked at since, judging by the calendar that was in it, 2005. Why do I save this crap? Tomorrow I'll be emptying the tote and putting away what's worth keeping and dumping the rest.

I'm trying to locate a cross-stitch hummingbird project for a challenge next month and I suspect it's in a box somewhere. :sigh:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, my major, major project is my basement. It's not that bad, but I want to go through all of the boxes, put the stuff in rubbermaid totes, label the totes, pitch, ebay and garage sale the rest of the stuff. I am having some surgery around May 1st and I want to be done before then, so I am counting my basement as a 4 month project.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, started my kitchen project a few days early. I caved in yesterday and bought four Vittle Vaults for the kitchen. I keep the pet food there, and it sits in bags on the floor and looks terrible. I have always wanted to get the VV's, but they are pricey. But I bit the bullet and bought two large and two medium-sized ones and moved all the bag food into the vaults. Looks SO MUCH NICER!!! And the food will stay fresher, since I don't have open bags sitting about.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm in. Next project is to paint both bedrooms, put up new curtains and decorate the main bedroom by the end of January.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
January -- rearrange the living-room furniture (no small feat)
* purge the boxes
* organize drysink
* vacuum sofa
* organize desk
* organize wires
* move furniture around
* hang artwork

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I am totally in for this challenge in 2012, too! Let me think of what I want to accomplish in January -- I am thinking an indoor project also, due to weather.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My January goal is to (with much help from DH, DS and DD) to re-sand, re-stain, polyurethane and buff our kitchen cabinets and get the handles on. These are "new"and have never been finished hence the re-sanding & re-staining. DH and DS built them about 3 years ago. I have on my Jan. town list a gallon of polyurethane. DH and DS and agreed to do it so I'm praying!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am jumping in on this one....in January I need to go through my kitchen. I have one set of cabinets that seem to be a catch all and I am tired of it... can't find anything in there!

1 - 20 of 463 Posts