Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nerv2: Less than a year away!

I decided that the theme for this years gifts will be "peace, love & happiness". Everything given to everyone on my gift, giving list will come from one (or more) of those categories.

I'm currently working on a set of 3 dishcloths for my Mother, a peace symbol, a heart, a smiley face. I will make dishtowels too.

Soooooooooo... what are YOU making for the holidays????

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
if my hands will allow me i hope to make a hat or scarf for each of the girls and possibly mil .
since work is now on galaxy tab and alot of tapping vs writing i had before i have less numbness from my FMS at night so i am hoping i can get some crocheting in

·
19,119 Posts
I am crocheting gnomes now - because they are so darn cute and different - hoping to bring a smile to the faces of everyone who sees them.

I am also working on presents for Valentines day and my ornaments for our FV exchange for next year.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I am going to work on some table runners for gifts for next year. I also keep my eyes out for towels that I can embroider throughout the year. I do have an idea for my Christmas ornaments for next year, so I might start on those as well...

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I'm crocheting lapghans for my mom and a friend who shares Christmas with us, for starters.

I'm also making gnomes.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I've got a few things on my list. I decided to make up spa packages, maybe even for men. I've got a few ideas rolling around and I need to play with the formulas a bit. Maybe some serious romance spa packages. Collecting free unique packaging now.

That's first on my list. Then coaster sets and etched glasses. Beyond that I'm not sure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This year I think I am going to knit pan handle sweaters for most of women that I know, some dishcloths to go with them, and maybe some swiffer covers.

I have one customer that loves cashmere socks and I just happen to have some thin cashmere yarn that I need to de-stash.

I love doing small knitting projects throughout the year because they are so non-committal to massive amounts of time and concentration.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have cross-stitch or candlewicking items "on the brain" at this time. I know the candlewicking/or french knot projects won't take me too much time (so I won't get bored and quit, which is my issue in finishing items) to complete, so this may be the way I will need to go.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finished the peace sign and the smiley face, I was about 1/2 done with the heart and I ran out of white cotton, figures, I have a ton of green for another person (Mom is a white in the kitchen person). I will need to go to JoAnn's with only $2 on me (resisting temptation)

Working on a scarf right now with some leftover eggshell I had. It's a dry run, so it will most likely be for me... unless it comes out REALLY good, then I will give it to my ALWAYS COLD neighbor.

Anyone else having progress and/or setbacks?

·
Registered
870 Posts
My goal is to make two items a month all year so I won't be in a last-minute panic in December! I want to pick my knitting back up again and make some dish cloths or maybe a couple of scarves (once I get good enough!). I also want to use up some of my scrapbooking stuff so I'm planning to make several card sets and a couple of calendars--one for my mom and one for my sister. I will also be making some food items as I've done the past few years and those have to be made in December as I don't want to make anything that will spoil too quickly.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think I am going to learn to make socks this year.

All the female members in my family that recieved scarfs this year LOVED them and the ones that didn't, got a little upset that I didn't make them one. LOL. Now I have to make scarfs for Birthday presents :)

·
4,028 Posts
What are these gnomes of which you speak? Are they needle crafted?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have heeled socks on my "maybe" list. I've gotten pretty good with tube socks, but for some reason, heels elude me.

Let us know how the sock making works!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
so far on my 'make' list, aprons and recipe scrapbooks.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... and THIS is the reason I started a week ago :lol:

A Knitters Night before Christmas
‘Twas the night before Christmas and all around me was unfinished knitting not under the tree. The stockings weren’t hung by the chimney with care ‘cause the heels and toes had not a stitch there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds, but I had not finished the caps for their heads. Dad was asleep; he was no help at all, and the sweater for him was six inches too small.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I put down my needles to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, tripped over my yarn and fell with a crash.

The tangle of yarn that lay deep as the snow reminded me how much I still had to go. Out on my lawn, I heard such a noise, I thought it would wake both Dad and the boys.

And although I was tired, my brain a bit thick, I knew in a moment it must be Saint Nick!

What I heard then left me somewhat perplexed-ed, for not a name I heard was what I expected. “Move Ashford; move Lopi; move Addie & Clover; move Reynolds; move Starmore; and Noro – move over!”

“Paton, don’t circle round, stay in the line. Come now, you sheep, you’ll work out just fine! I know this is hard being just your first year, I’d hate to go back to eight tiny reindeer.”

I peered over the sill; what I saw was amazing, eight woolly sheep on my lawn all a’grazing.

And then, in a twinkle, I heard at my door Santa’s coming across the porch floor. I rose from my knees and got back on my feet, and as I turned round, Saint Nick I did meet.

He was dressed all in wool from his head to his toes and his cloths were hand knit from above to below.

A bright Fairisle sweater he wore on his back, and his toys were all stuffed in a aran knit sack. His cap was a wonder of bobbles and lace, a beautiful frame for his rosy red face.

The scarf round his neck could have stretched for a mile, and the socks peeking over his boots were Argyle. The backs of his mittens bore an intricate cable, and suddenly on one I spied a small label.

SC was the duplicate stitch on the cuff, and I asked “Hay Nick, did you knit all this stuff?”

He proudly replied “Ho-ho-ho, yes I did. I learned how to knit when I was a kid.”

He was chubby and plump, a quite well-dressed old man, and I laughed to myself for I’d thought of a plan.

I flashed him a grin and jumped in the air, the next thing he knew he was tied to a chair. He spoke not a word, but looked in his lap where I’d laid my needles and yarn for a cap.

He quickly began knitting, first one cap then two; for the first time I thought I might really get through. He put heels on the stockings and toes on some socks while I sat back drinking scotch on the rocks!!

So quickly, like magic his needles they flew, that he was all finished by quarter to two. He sprang for his sleigh when I let him go free, and over his shoulder he looked back at me.

And I heard him exclaim as he sailed past the moon “Next year start your knitting sometime around June!”

- Author Unknown

·
Registered
549 Posts
i've got so many ideas floating around in my head already.

i've wanted to make rag rugs for years now. maybe if i start now i will actually make them? i have to look around for a good tutorial and instructions.

i also think i want to make coasters out of magazines for everyone this year.

i got a sewing machine for christmas this year so next year i want to sew things for people. is that vague, or is that vague. lol

so much to already be thinking about!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts