Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Cute quilt DC........you did a good job. Is that the one you were making for your mother???

Pcone.........I found a site that I had in my 'old' computer........have never ordered from it but was quite impressed with the prices.......and know the names of some of the manuf.............think I might have to place an order.

Thousands of Bolts ... only one nut!:

Went to JA's yesterday...........and I am JUST REAL FED UP with that store and their prices. I do believe in buying local..........WHEN IT IS REASONABLE...........but even their CHEAP STUFF was $5.99............and it is always on sale so you can't use a coupon..........and usually on sale for ONLY 30% off........where the coupon would give you 40%.

If I am going to pay those kind of prices (and one I found that would have worked for a quilt idea was $12.99 a yard!!! :thud:)
I will go to a QUILT SHOP and shop their sale aisle!!!

OR............I will shop online................EVEN CHEAPER WITH THE POSTAGE!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't get me going about JA's. IMHO, the prices are geared for the sales. If you get fabrics from the LQS and compare them to JA's???? $12.99/yd?? My foot. No question the LQS has better quality. Now...rotary cutting things? Looks for me coupon in hand.
Thousands of Bolts is a good one to sign up for e-mail alerts. Good srevice and good prices. We are on FV so make sure it is a need and not a want. hehe

piney

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We are on FV so make sure it is a need and not a want. hehe

piney

:yikes: WHAT????? Are you kidding??? If you saw my stash you would say I SHOULD NEVER be going into a fabric store again...EVER!!
And......if the fabric prices keep going up.......I might not!!
:thud: I thank god every day for my stash............as without it
I would have had to quit sewing/quilting ages ago.

The best part is I have FINALLY convinced myself that I can make a small quilt..........they don't ALL have to be monsters! Just not sure what someone would do with a 48 X 48 quilt......or smaller!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh FF, I use that size of quilts for the couch!!! Nothing better than to cuddle under one when it is chilly outside. :D

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh FF, I use that size of quilts for the couch!!! Nothing better than to cuddle under one when it is chilly outside. :D
I will use them for the backs of couches and chairs but that is too small for cuddling under.....:laugh: Heck, I use a KING SIZE fleece blanket for my chair........will have to make a monster for that.

Remember, I have TWO dogs that have to be on my lap---in their certain places---which means I have to have enough to cover one arm of the chair, plus 'moving room' for me so I won't feel like I am in a straight-jacket!! :laugh: :)thud: things get real technical here with this 'cuddling thing'.....)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
:laugh: That's funny FF! I can just imagine sharing one with two big doggies!!! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
:yikes: WHAT????? Are you kidding??? If you saw my stash you would say I SHOULD NEVER be going into a fabric store again...EVER!!
And......if the fabric prices keep going up.......I might not!!
:thud: I thank god every day for my stash............as without it
I would have had to quit sewing/quilting ages ago.
I might be your long lost sister on that one. My fabric room could use some thinning out but....I might need that piece. *sigh*

Thursday I am going to Marden's and out to lunch with the "girls". I took it to heart when my Doctor said fiber is good for me.

I too like larger snuggle quilts. I sit in my recliner and like my feet and shoulders well covered and enough to wrap behind my shoulders. No dogs but a cat in my lap.

piney

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thursday I am going to Marden's and out to lunch with the "girls". I took it to heart when my Doctor said fiber is good for me.

I too like larger snuggle quilts. I sit in my recliner and like my feet and shoulders well covered and enough to wrap behind my shoulders. No dogs but a cat in my lap. EXACTLY!!!

piney
Oh PC.........this is too funny..........I can tell you 'wrap up' the same way I do.........hate short blankets that won't drape OVER AND PAST
my feet and then come clear up under my chin!!!

:tay: Good going on the fiber!!! :laugh:

I have gotten TONS done downstairs for re-organizing and had a ball doing it..........re-sorted all my batik..(LOVE fondling fabric that I haven't looked at in ages!!).......put GOBS of stuff away that I wasn't even sure why it was out in the first place!!! :thud:

Finished------well, except for the cutting the frayed edges-----a
rag quilt...........finished a "small", new technique to me, batik lap quilt---just top done so far-----it is one of those 'stack the deck' quilts. Had never done one before........

Pulled fabric for a maple leaf table runner........so I could practice making the blocks and pulled fabric for maple leaf bed quilt. Am
excited about it.........and hope to get it started soon. (I have been saving/collecting leaf prints for years!!)

Am also pulling any 'rose floral fabric' so I will know what I have to make BF quilt.........and looking through books for a pattern idea.

Called a quilting shop to see what it would cost to have that heart bargello quilt prof. quilted...........will get it done..........AFTER my heart heals from the STICKER SHOCK!!! Need to take it in and talk to them about it...........but I want it done and it is way too big for me to handle at the machine and I want it to look nice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You sure have been busy, FF. At Marden's I got some cute fabric and a few $1 paterns to make a sundress and jumper for our granddaughter, 7 months. Straying from quilting a bit because of the cost.
Yes, it can be breathtaking to find out what the $$ will be to have something professionally quilted. Check with your local quilting guild and maybe there are others that can do what you want for less.
Quilt Guilds Worldwide - a listing of quilt guilds and shows

piney

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Have spent more time "on-line" shopping........still haven't pulled out the plastic yet........but found some neat "sounding' sites (didn't check the postage yet either)..........I truly do think that JA's has lost a customer!!

Found better quality material, (since I knew the maker's name) and CHEAPER..........will all depend on the postage. BUT.....
signed up for one email and ALREADY have a $4 SHIPPING COUPON.....................WHOOT!!! :tay: Guess what I will be doing tonight???????

Finished ---well, real close---another TINY quilt............WITH CIRCLES..............and it damn near made me tear my HAIR OUT before it was done!!! I will take pics of all of them when I get the batteries re-charged but THIS ONE turned out
SO CRAPPY looking not sure I will post it. It was YET ANOTHER new technique...................

I have one of those "E-Z Cut Circle Rulers".......and it was made with that............welllllllllllll.................there are JUST A FEW LITTLE TIDBITS that they don't tell you about lining them up!!!
Not to mention sewing the circles............

It looks like this.............(think I got it at JA's ages ago!!)

Easy Circle Cut™ & Accessories

Here are a couple of the sites I have found lately........but like I said........haven't ordered from them YET.....so don't know how the postage is..........but DID get a discounted shipping coupon from one of them so will sign up for the other to see what happens. Didn't think SOME of their prices were too bad........AFTER going to JA's last week!! :thud:

Here is one of them............haven't signed up for their email yet.

Old Country Store Fabrics - Benartex Flower Show 2

And here is the other one........got a discounted shipping code from them-------$4..........I can go for that if I can re-find the fabrics I wanted!!

Quilt Fabric - Quilt Fabric Sale

Take a look...........

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's some funky looking fabric FF! :laugh: Hey, I would love to see the circle quilt....I have a pattern for one and it kind of sounds like the same so can you post a pic.....PLEASE! :p

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That's some funky looking fabric FF! :laugh: Hey, I would love to see the circle quilt....I have a pattern for one and it kind of sounds like the same so can you post a pic.....PLEASE! :p

Was hoping to find a pic on-line but no luck.

Will have to see how it 'irons up'...........and how far back I can stand to get a pic............not my best work---BY FAR!!

It is just circles.......one is cut in half and one is cut into 1/4ths. It
was an exercise in using the ruler.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I had a sewing day with my girlfriend on Friday, took the day off work, it was great! I got the backing pieced on a quilt and took it to the local quilt shop to drop it off for the long arm quilter. I don't know how much yours charges FF, but it's really not too bad here. It's so worth it to me to get it done, I just don't have the time nor inclination to do it myself. I did it once and would rather piece instead. So.. while I was at the local quilt shop, had to look at their clearance fabrics, I got some black and white christmas fabric, a few with a touch of red. I found a simple pattern to use, so I bought everything I needed including the binding and backing. Definitely not a need, but beautiful fabrics! I have already started cutting, I'm going to work on it today.

Yesterday I finished a table runner I had in my UFO pile as well, it just needed to be squared up and the binding put on it. Here's a pic. It was very easy, you quilt it as you go, so it's definitely quick. I will be making lots of these for christmas gifts. This one is pretty wide, it's 20". I was using a jelly roll and wanted to use them up, but I will cut them shorter and put a border on if I need to.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
:tay: Great going Tervs.........finishing something is so rewarding!

Like the runner.........you did a great job.

I kept the messages we exchanged about the prices.......but by the time I send it...........you know the drill. And for this one, I want to PICK what is done to it and TALK to the gal about it.

One other thing, this gal will 'square it up' ---within reason, which is included in the price........meaning the trimming is done but depending on the stitching, it might not be perfectly square. I don't have the place to lay it out for trimming and messed up a quilt trying to do it!! :yikes:

Soooooooooo..........thanks for your prior info and I have kept the prices but..........not sure it would be much "savings" with mailing and all.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ah, I forgot we talked about quilting, FF. She has done some custom quilting for me on some wallhangings I did. The baby quilt I dropped off, I told her she could do whatever she wanted. I don't really have plans for it, just will put it in my finished pile in case I need a gift of some sort. I'll post a pic next weekend.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Love runner tervs! I am glad that you had such a great sewing day. :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the runner. I think I'm going to make them for gifts, I have lots of strips and you quilt it as you put it together, so it is quick.

I was cutting squares for my black and white quilt. I can't wait to start piecing it together, I love it! I've never done a 2 color quilt.

Happy sewing!

21 - 40 of 187 Posts