Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you do today to ensure that you will survive the zombie-pocalypse?

I didn't get much done in the "self-sufficiency" field today. I did eat from my stockpile and collect eggs from the hens, but that was about it.

·
Super Moderator
19,681 Posts
Does it count that I ate leftovers?

I also crocheted, so I guess I could crochet a zombie defense kit or something.

Oh, and I used hand tools too, so I could probably saw a zombie into submission.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, today, I managed to splice and repair a frayed lamp cord without: a) electrocuting myself, or b) setting the house on fire. Go, me! :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
My mom got my boyfriend the Zombie survival guide for Christmas lol!

I made home-made muffins with freshly milled flour. I am getting ready to hang up a load of laundry washed with homemade laundry soap. I guess that is as close to self-sufficient as I will get today. :)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Making laundry detergent as we speak. Taking a break from grating Fels Naptha soap. My neck can only take short grating periods, then it yells really loud to stop for a bit.
Laundry is on the basement line.
Making double batch of HM spaghetti sauce and meatballs today. Supper tonight and freeze the rest for Sunday dinner after Rio's (grandson #2's Baptism).
Doing any and everything I can to conserve, reuse, revamp and make do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Making laundry detergent as we speak. Taking a break from grating Fels Naptha soap. My neck can only take short grating periods, then it yells really loud to stop for a bit.
Instead of grating by hand, couldn't you throw the soap in cut up pieces into a food processor or blender?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am taking down my Xmas tree and putting away my ornaments. In case of zombies I could hurl glass ornaments at them. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I could also hurl obscenities at them. :pdoff::pdoff::pdoff: :lame:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Instead of grating by hand, couldn't you throw the soap in cut up pieces into a food processor or blender?
I don't have a food processor and I don't think I'd want to attempt using my blender for that purpose. But thank you for the suggestion. Usually I can talk Dh into doing it, but today he is working and I'm bull headed and wanted it done NOW! So I will be the one to suffer.

It's finished and bottled now, so I can stop complaining and re-coop from my pain.

·
Super Moderator
19,681 Posts
I talked to someone last week who uses a meat grinder to grind up the soap for her detergent. That's a new one on me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Laundry is on the basement line.
Making double batch of HM spaghetti sauce and meatballs today. Supper tonight and freeze the rest for Sunday dinner after Rio's (grandson #2's Baptism).
Doing any and everything I can to conserve, reuse, revamp and make do.
If you microwave the FN, it will be a lot easier to grate. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I read some of the posts for the 2011 challenge (which hasn't had a post since Aug :( I have never heard of a pullman pan so I looked it up and ordered one. Even if the zombies don't come it will come in very handy :D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I read some of the posts for the 2011 challenge (which hasn't had a post since Aug :( I have never heard of a pullman pan so I looked it up and ordered one. Even if the zombies don't come it will come in very handy :D
Well pooh....I was outbid. On to look for another one!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what a pullman pan is, either. I'll have to go check it out!

Didn't do much self-sufficiency-wise yesterday, unless you count that I got additional warmth from the puppy sleeping on my bed last night, so I didn't have to run the space heater! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,681 Posts
Shared puppy-heat counts!

A Pullman pan is a long narrow bread pan with a lid that slides on, like some cake pan covers do. Or used to. Bread is baked in the pan with the lid on so you get perfectly square slices for sandwiches. I have a Pullman pan but haven't tried this bread yet.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts