Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the new thread. What are the twenty things you most want to do in 2012? Join me in tracking your progress and see what you can do!

My approach is to make the list, then break it down into a 'next action' for each wish, and put those next actions on a 'to do' list. Then schedule time each day to actually do things. At the end of each week I hold a review to see how far I've come, and to determine what needs to be done next. At the end of the month I do a monthly review, changing any wishes if I need to mid-stream (sometimes after a month or so, they just don't fit, for whatever reason).

Hope to see lots of people take part this year. You don't have to approach your wishes like I do. You just need to be willing to give it a shot, post what you'd most like to do, and see what you can accomplish in 2012!

I'll be making my list this week, to be posted Jan. 1st. :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Going to join this challenge this year.
Maybe it will keep me motivated to get it done.
Will work on it this week and use notebook to keep track.
Thanks Peanut for starting it.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well...here are just a few things to do this year...

1. Go to a NFL game

2. Concete patio to extend back porch

3. Redo the dining room - we don't use this room and I want to make something else out of it

4. Make three more raised beds for gardening this year.

5. Make doll clothes and maybe a couple of dresses for me and DD

6. Plant blueberries/strawberries/and blackberries.

7 - 20....will be back with more as I think of them.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Great idea - I'm going to work on my list and will post on the 1st.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
708 Posts
me me me....I am so i on this one...

i need this one to hold me to some type of accountability......i will post later when the internet isnt actiing up...

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well mine is about as clear as mud as usual. Tried a talk with DH and got nowhere. So I think I will focus on things I can do by myself this year. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Here are mine. Some are similar to last year's and some are different. I still haven't come up with the 20th one.

TWENTY WISHES FOR 2012
1.Declutter the house
2.Finish the house
3.Become fairly fluent in Spanish
4.Study the Bible
5.Weed and mulch all my flower beds
6.Reclaim my woodland garden
7.Get all the family heirlooms labeled and stored safely
8.Work on the Seven Steps of preparedness on Totally Ready website
9. Make a garden notebook with all the information I've collected
10.Complete the mother and father memory books
11. Improve singing voice
12. Improve piano playing
13. Study history
14. Organize genealogy information
15. Knit something useful
16. Do a household inventory
17. Make portable bird blind
18. Organize my wardrobe
19. Write

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I want to join again this year...thanks peanut for starting it up! :)

Will be using a notebook so I will be back on the 1st with my list.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'd love to join in! I've been thinking about what I'd like to focus on but I'm still not sure. I'll have my list ready by January 1st!

·
Super Moderator
19,670 Posts
I have twenty items but still have to make final plans before posting. I still have to drag out a calendar and try to estimate the time each thing will take and when to schedule it. Obviously, we won't be out painting the house skirting in January and that sort of thing. I've found if we're too vague about this stuff, it doesn't get done, so this time I'm going to try planning it to the nth degree.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree SD. I sometimes will put something vague on the list, and then add subcategories. So I guess it's more than 20 Wishes. Still...

For example, I put on House Renovations as one item, and then list everything I want to do under that. Somewhat cheating I think. But it kind of works. We did get some small jobs done last year...but not the big jobs. I think the big jobs, like the kitchen, need their own separate listing.

·
Super Moderator
19,670 Posts
We get so overwhelmed by vague plans. So if we say House Renovations, forget it. We can't get started. But if we break it down to more manageable tasks, we're golden.

Like when we put in new kitchen cabinets last winter. We couldn't cope with Re-Do Kitchen, so we started with Replace Cabinets Over Stove. Simple, so we did that. Then the next section was another task, etc. It went great! Once we were able to make it a series of small tasks we could do in a day or a weekend, it was a lot easier. I do that mentally anyway, so putting it on paper just makes it clearer and helps us set the goals. We did that with the garden project last spring, although we badly underestimated the time it would take. We'll be doing the same with the deck this spring, only this time I'm going to try to figure out the time closer to reality. Part of my problem is I design on the fly when I do stuff like that, so the stuff I dream up as we go along can add a lot of time. But it's worth it in the end to get things just how we want them.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Great idea! I started thinking of my 20 and decided to keep them light and happy, so here are the ones I came up with so far:

1. Improve my Turkish (I'm taking lessons) and take the Level 1 government exam in May (don't care if I pass, really, just want to try)
2. Work on learning the piano and music theory (DH is supposed to teach me)
3. Start my balcony garden with at least 10 planters
4. Keep pantry inventory/price notebook up to date
5. save up enough to go to our really good friends' wedding on the island where we lived
6. make a gallery wall in living room
7. scan and re-archive all of DH's childhood photos (they're still in horrid 80s albums)
8. decorate the office (not a lot left to do on this but keep putting it off)
9. Make a craft corner/storage area for myself
10. Make more friends in our new town

That's the first 10, I'll think of the other ten soon!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the invite Peanut!

Here's my Goals:
1. Eat Locally - when available
2. Cut spending by 1/3 - on EVERYTHING
3. Don't buy ANYTHING that is full price - Buy second hand when possible
4. Learn to say NO
5. Use Crockpot 2x a week
6. NO FAST FOOD
7. LEARN TO RELAX! ACCEPT! and LOVE ME!
8. QUIT MY CURRENT JOB in OCTOBER! - and find something I LOVE
9. Buy a New Used Car for trade-in and cash- no credit!
10. Rid my home of 1012 items that are unloved and unused - minialism is KEY

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm in on this one, too! Looking forward to getting my final wishes established -- peanut, I will be trying to assign a "next action" for my wishes, too, to see if this helps me stay more on task and productive.

I love reading everyone else's wishes because it inspires me with ideas to round out my own 20.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Adding to my list!

11. BE NICE, POSITIVE, and SMILE - which is not always easy I work retail.

12. No Negative self talk

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'll join this! I've got so much I want to accomplish this year, but I've got to create a list of 20 that I can reasonably achieve. Be back on January 1st!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay. I think I'm actually ready 4 days early to post my 20 Wishes for 2012. I've chatted with DH to see what he wants to do. So I'm hoping I'll have a better chance of accomplishing them this year.

So here they are...

1. Develop a giving plan and keep a giving journal.
2. Make something for sale each week.
3. Piece a quilt top every month.
4. Sell my crafts.
5. Improve my spiritual life by practicing spiritual disciplines.
6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard.
7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH.
8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs.
9. Improve diet under naturopath's guidance,
10. Exercise 5x/week
11. Do affirmations daily.
12. Lower LDL cholesterol levels, and raise HDL.
13. Spend one morning a week in nature.
14. Continue education in fibre arts.
15. Build a network of creative people.
16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops.
17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products.
18. Write e-book.
19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month.
20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next action list:

1. Develop a giving plan and keep a giving journal. - Have the journal, just need to remember to write in it every night before bed. I need to decide what my focus is going to be for giving. I think it will be arts and education.
2. Make something for sale each week. - a friend and I will get together when she comes home from vacation, as we are planning to sell together.
3. Piece a quilt top every month. - one down, another on the go. Two or three more planned.
4. Sell my crafts. - First sale in May. Need to book the table in January.
5. Improve my spiritual life by practicing spiritual disciplines. - Starting with a retreat in early January.
6. Renovations - utility room, north fence, revamp front yard. - DH and I have already started by de-cluttering the utility room, drawing a plan, and re-arranging the basement to make room for him to work down there. The next move is his. He is drawing up precise plans. Then we will go shopping for supplies.
7. Plan and maintain patio garden with DH. - We have a few containers, but I would like some nice big ones. Will search online from now till spring for free/cheap planters. Or maybe have DH build some from leftover lumber. Must talk to him.
8. Improve health by losing 34 lbs. - I am doing this by improving diet and increasing exercise. I am under the care of a naturopath. I've already lost 17 lbs. this year. She wants me to lose 50. In talking it over with my doctor sister we think that 34 is plenty for me to lose.
9. Improve diet under naturopath's guidance, - I am closely following what she says. I have no margin for error now. My test results are not good. I am keeping a daily health journal.
10. Exercise 5x/week - I keep a daily health journal and record exercise online. My initial goal is 30 minutes of walking 3x a week.
11. Do affirmations daily. - First I need to write affirmations! Will check in my books to see what needs to be done.
12. Lower LDL cholesterol levels, and raise HDL. - Hmm...hopefully the improved diet and increased exercise will take care of this. I see I have several overlapping goals here.
13. Spend one morning a week in nature. - I love nature. DH doesn't so much. I really miss it living in the city. Even though we live a couple blocks from a city park. A park is not the same as wilderness. But it will do in a pinch. I just seriously need to get out in nature. I feel so rushed and off balance otherwise. So my plan is to spend some time walking down by the creek. At the very least, to visit the local greenhouse filled with tropical and desert plants.
14. Continue education in fibre arts. - I am registered for an online rug hooking course in February.
15. Build a network of creative people. - I want to reach out beyond my current friends to a broader network. I'm doing this by connecting up with people who do what I do online.
16. Acquire teacher training to teach workshops. - Great courses has a DVD series on Master Teaching. Plus I help tutor ESL students in a group setting. I may take a turn at teaching them.
17. Set up a website to sell e-books and products. - I actually have the manuscripts here I could pull information from for several e-books. However I don't know the first thing about producing an e-book. I do have a download on how to do it though. So I'll be reading through that for ideas too. First up though, would be to get a website up and running. I don't expect to do that till about halfway through the year. So this is not an immediate goal.
18. Write e-book. - See above
19. Do a piece of rug hooking every month. - I'm working smaller pieces. First I need to finish my niece's wedding present. Then design some small simply pieces to hook.
20. Learn to take better photographs of my craft projects for selling online. - I may look for an online photography course, or just work through YouTube videos on how to use my digital camera.

1 - 20 of 1291 Posts