Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it's not too early to start the 2013 Crochet thread.

I've kinda been off the Crochet Wagon but I want to get back on! What does everyone have planned for 2013?

I want to:

1. DESTASH - hah! This is always ongoing for me. There is always new stuff I am buying. But it needs to stop! I am running out of room and I know that I have good stuff...I just can never seem to find anything when I need it.

2. FINISH MY MOM'S BLANKET - My Mom asked me to make her a blanket...and I started one...and I never finished it.

3. FINISH MY SCRAP BLANKET - I have an awesome, awesome, awesome scrap blanket that I made but haven't used because it has about 4,000 ends to weave in. I need to get weaving!

4. FINISH SECOND SCRAP BLANKET - I have another scrap blanket on the go that needs finishing.

5. FINISH 4-COLOUR SPIRAL BLANKET - I need to be persisent on this and make sure that I finish it!

6. MAKE A PIECE OF CLOTHING - I've always wanted to make a sweater! I need to make a sweater!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Love this! I want to do some crocheting also this year but I am a little limited. My job is very stressful on my hands so I have struggled getting back into crocheting. I am thinking some small projects like scarfs and pot holders would be good! :)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I have some projects for the grand daughters in mind, and a lightening bold scrap afghan I need to make to destash some of my scraps. . .

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I hope to get a couple of new things done this year............small things..........and a couple of things FINISHED that have been sitting around FOR A YEAR!!!
:yikes:

I have been more into sewing for last few months than crocheting,........even sewing in the evenings......so that is good too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm still trying to build a stash, that said, I do have a granny square afghan that I have been working on off and on for a while that I need to finish. Then I will probably start another one, maybe even before and have two projects I can switch back and forth on when I get bored with one.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My homesteading skill for the month of January is going to be crocheting. I can only do things that are square right now....so....I haven't quite decided if I am going to improve upon my skill and learn something different or make something with my limited abilities...but I will be doing something!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
My homesteading skill for the month of January is going to be crocheting. I can only do things that are square right now....so....I haven't quite decided if I am going to improve upon my skill and learn something different or make something with my limited abilities...but I will be doing something!
Scarves and basic afgans are good starters for people just learning how to crochet. Have you checked out your local library (or even yarn store) for knitting/crocheting groups? Your local yarn store should also have classes to help you learn new stitches.

Me - I've been very bad the past couple of weeks. I ended up getting a whole bunch of yarn when I should be working on getting rid of my current stash. Then again, all the yarn I bought is going to go to one afgan since the skeins are only 4 oz a skein. So I need double the amount of skeins I'd normally need for a full sized afgan. Then again, this is for myself. I have a couple of older afgans I've grown tired of the colors and so I'm replacing them. (The old ones will probably go to either a church or clothes recycling bin since they're pretty much in good shape still.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does this corner have any knitters? I'm a sock addict...always got a pair on the sticks. Plan to make 3 pairs of socks and 6 scarves in 2013

·
2,688 Posts
Does this corner have any knitters? I'm a sock addict...always got a pair on the sticks. Plan to make 3 pairs of socks and 6 scarves in 2013
I am a serious knitter, but I do my main work on a older vintage 40 yr old machine. I really like to knit hats. This past week, I have made 3 doggie blankets. I am trying to come up with a pattern I like. Using up scrap yarn and odd colors. Socks are not yet something I make, but I did buy one of those loom type things to give it a whirl. Round needles and 4 needle work challenge me to no end. I won't do them. I like simple and easy.
I do several craft shows in the fall.
fmhats.JPG
$strawberry1.JPG

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I also knit -- lots of hats for chemo patients and the rez, and Balboa's babies. . . . dishcloths for friends/family or the local homeless shelter, dresses for my grand daughters, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm knitting a pair of socks that must be finished by Thursday so my dh can give them to his doctor. Have about 4 more inches to the toe. My knitting group will be here on Wednesday. I'll try to knit and talk. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am in. I have quite a bit I would like to crochet this year.....the most pressing is an afghan that needs to be completed! Then onto many other projects for gifts. Hopefully this will help to deplete the stash! :blush:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I think I'm on my last skein on an afgan I think I'll give to a friend. If she doesn't like it, I'll donate it to the group we're a part of.

Once that's done, I've got two afgans that are just for me, rather than to give away. I do have a third started that I'm going to make for my parents. I frogged it all the way to the beginning because I'm used to doing double/twin sized afgans and this one needed to be larger since it's for my parents. Now that I've started it, I think I need some more yarn. (I'm trying to get rid of the stash I have over at my parents place.) Fortunately, that's the only yarn I need to get more of. The rest of the stash there can be used up for lapgans or scarves.

Downside is, I haven't done anything to reduce my current home stash. lol - I've been trying to reduce it. But I keep finding yarn (the alpaca and the rose garden verigated) that I really like and buying it.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Goals? DESTASHING - big time. I'll be tracking that over the hobby supplies challenge. My stash is beyond reasonable. There's always another color, or the old "I would like to make it in this color, but I don't have enough, so I'll get some more" - never mind that there are 40 other nice colors in the cabinets. At the end of last year, I opened the floodgates and filled up the real and imaginary holes in the stash. I bought some new colors I've been wanting and laid in a better supply of the workhorses I use over and over. Because as of Jan. 1 - Cold Turkey. No New Yarn. Until November. I'll let myself fill the biggest holes in the Christmas sales, but I'm going to try my best to not buy yarn until then.

Projects - I make almost exclusively lapghans for various charities. I finished up three over my extended Christmas vacation, and two more started. Oh, and a scrap granny square that I'll keep plugging away on.

I pretty much dropped out of this thread last fall, but I'm back. I get pics up soon of what I did over Christmas.

For my part, knitters are quite welcome!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Very cute sunshine! Great gift. :)

Good to see you dc. Gotta find that craft use it up challenge too! :D

·
2,688 Posts
wow vintage knitting machine....cool your scrap color choices are beautiful
Actually those hats are not scrap.
Those yarns are variegated or ombre colors. I like working with those the best. You never know what you are going to get and no two are ever the same :)

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Finished a quick neck wrap this week....................had a little "incentive" since we haven't been ABOVE freezing since end of Dec............and I needed a new color.

A quick one evening project..............but anything helps. Besides............it was either that or eat BUTTERED POPCORN!!! (can't do both since my p.c. drips with butter!!!)

1 - 20 of 164 Posts