Let's get to reading !!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My goal is 2 books per month.

·
19,119 Posts
Something I never stop! Perhaps this is the year I will actually keep track of books read - would be interesting for me

·
Registered
984 Posts
I hope to read more this year. 2013 was my worst year for reading. I started so many books and then ditched them. Nothing seemed to hold my interest. Last year I tried for 30 and didn't come close. This year I will try 20 and see how I do.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In 2013 I read 25 three less than the year before. Let see if I can read 25 for 2014. Good luck to all

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a goal of reading each book on my bookshelf. I purchase them, read a few chapters of what interests me and then on the shelf they go. So I want to read each of them and decide if they are enriching to my library or would better fit another person.

I inventoried my 'library' and I have roughly 50 books to go through this year.

Anyone want to share their goodreads profile?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
26 books is my challenge.

·
8,714 Posts
~I read over 50 books in 2013 not counting all the books I started and abandoned, or the Bible. This year I'm aiming for 100, or two per week.
I'm in the middle of two Central American history books(started last night), an American Education history book(started on the 24th of Dec), and a Christian romance(started Jan 1). So I have until the 14th to complete all of them to stay on target.
I love my library system!~

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have a goal of reading each book on my bookshelf. I purchase them, read a few chapters of what interests me and then on the shelf they go. So I want to read each of them and decide if they are enriching to my library or would better fit another person.

I inventoried my 'library' and I have roughly 50 books to go through this year.

Anyone want to share their goodreads profile?

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2332121-christina

Heres my goodreads profile link....I hope to read a book a month this year...more would be great...but minimum 12 for the year.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I seem to join this every year and quickly fall by the wayside because I'm not very good at tracking. However, like Mauimagic, it would be interesting to see how many books I do go through in a year. I listen to a lot of audiobooks as well as read, and count those too.

I'm going to set a specific goal but just see how it turns out. I'll try to be better at it this year. I have a financial spreadsheet I open often, and I'll just add a page to that for reading. If it see it, maybe I'll remember to keep track of it.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I listened to Sally Nicholls' All Fall Down. It was astonishingly good, well-written, if sad. It focuses on a young girl caught up in the Black Death. I've seen it labeled as both children's and YA, but I found it a very satisfying book for this 65 year old. The audio version is very good; the narrator does a great job.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I don't usually read this much, this fast, but I was sort of under the weather the last few days and I spent them reading or playing computer games and listening to audiobooks.

2. Jonathan Stroud, Bartimaeus Trilogy 1: The Amulet of Samarkand
3. Sally Nicholls, Ways to Live Forever
4. Carolly Erickson, Her Little Majesty (biography of Queen Victoria)
5. Julia Scheeres, A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Jonestown

The first two are YA. The Bartimaeus was fun, but not enough to continue with the trilogy.

I had liked Nicholls' All Fall Down so much I picked up this one by her, a shorter read, but very good about a young boy with leukemia.

The biography was good, focusing on the private life of Victoria much more than her public life, and how she was shaped by a difficult childhood.

The Jonestown book was an audiobook that I got on sale, not expecting to like it much, but it was engrossing. I sat up hours past my bedtime last night because I couldn't turn it off. It focuses on several of the individuals, why they came to the movement and how they fared. I had no idea there was so much source material for the group. It was a fascinating study of the growing madness of Jim Jones and how others were trapped by it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I going to try to read more this year for sure. Last year I read about a book a month and that's horrible for me. The year before I read nearly 100 and that's more to my liking. My goal this year will be two a month. Right now I am in the middle of an audio book in the car and reading one so I am off to a pretty good start.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now, I just have one book going,
1 of 8 based on Laura Wilder's life.

I was given 3 sets of 8 books and
12 other books (romance, which I don't
usually read), so I have plenty of
inspirational reading material.
The other book (spiritual) I haven't
"settled" on yet.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Finished book one for the year. Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My first book of the year that I finished is The Mist by Carla Neggers. Excellent Suspense book.

Jamie...I can't wait to read takedown twenty, I love Stephanie Plum!

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I've finished:
Terry Pratchett. Making a Money
Philip Plait. Bad Astronomy
Terry Pratchett. Snuff

I'm currently about 2/3 through Hugh Howey's Wool, but I'm losing interest in it. I may or may not finish it. I was listening to it on audio, but the narrator is so dreadful I couldn't stand it any more. I have it in text on the Kindle, so if I finish it, I'll just read it.

·
8,714 Posts
~Finished 2 of my first set of 4 books and didn't finish the other two by choice. The Christian romance was flat out racist(that's a first in all that I've read)besides being dreadfully written and the Central American history book was a stylized narrative instead of real facts and history.
So that's 2 books read/2 books DF(didn't finish)so far this year.
I picked up two self-help books and 2 books by Mr. Rogers, as well as a sewing book at the library. I've almost finished one of the Fred Rogers books. What a nice man he was, but the book is pure drivel. I'm reading it just so I can yell at everything I disagree with while my DH laughs at my outbursts. I've always been a very involved and animated reader. :crackup:
I will check in again around the 28th, my week four.
I'm trying to read two books per week average all year. :sun: ~

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Finished my first book of the year:
The Province Beyond the River, by W. Paul Jones.
It is a non-fiction book telling of the author's first
visit to a Trappist monastery. At the time, he was a
protestant minister. He eventually became a Roman
Catholic hermit priest. I started book two,
Teaching The Dead Bird Sing,last night.

My second book is about 3/4 done, It is Missouri Homestead,
the first of eight by T.L. Tedrow, about Laura Ingalls Wilder. I
need to finish it pretty soon so I can reach my goal.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts