Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I was a bit behind on many of my doctor visits, I was highly motivated to get them taken care of right away. I still have a few things to take care of.

Dentist: current
Eye exam: today
Women's yearly: Saturday
Mammogram: Wednesday

I still need to get a physical, bloodwork and a colonoscopy. It's been three years since my last physical so it's very important that I get this done. I'm in good health and take no medications, but I wouldn't want to push it.

Who's with me? Since it's not my favorite thing to do, I appreciate encouragement and would also enjoy giving it to others.

Kind regards,

Sally

Reactions: RABBIT

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I'm in! So far this year I've set up appointment for my physical with a new doctor and I also have a periodontist's appointment later this month, along with a hearing aid check.

This week I'll call to get an opthamologist appointment. It's been 3 years since my eyes were checked.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Unfortunately, I need to find a new gynecologist. I found one in my insurance network that gets really good reviews. I just need to call and make the appointment.

Today, I'm going back to my family doctor about the headache I've had since New Year's Eve. Took a round of antibiotics and decongestants for a sinus infection, but I still have a headache every day. Don't know what's going on. Maybe I need another round of meds.

I'm going to ask her about trying a mild antidepressant. I don't have any of the mental or emotional symptoms - I'm not sad, anxious, hopeless, suicidal. Nothing has happened to "depress" me. But I have a lot of the physical signs - fatigue, no energy, no motivation, trouble sleeping, headache. My best friend had every test know to man for a stomach issue. They found nothing wrong. Started her on antidepressants and the stomach problems are gone.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, checked my mammogram off the list. I told myself I would make an appointment for my physical which would result in blood work, etc. after my mammogram. To preserve my integrity to myself, I called this morning and made the appointment.

When I called my doctor the number had been disconnected. I was on the edge of freaking out because I do not want to find a new doctor! I was relieved when a friend told me that doctor had just moved offices.

I'm still hoping I can have everything finished by the end of February.

Kind regards,

Sally

Reactions: ilovechocolate

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Well, I saw my new dr. for a New Patient visit. I'll go back next Wednesday for my exam and to go over the blood work I had done at her office. On Monday I have appointments for a mammogram and a bone density test. Then next Friday I'll go have an eye exam and get a script for new glasses because my current glasses aren't helping much anymore. On February 11 I have my periodontist appointment.

So everything is set.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy Cow, Chocolate! You're taking care of EVERYTHING!

Monday I have my physical and after that my blood work and colonoscopy. After that I should be up to date.

Kind regards,

Sally

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eye exam: Done
Women's yearly: Done
Mammogram: Done

I still need to get a physical, bloodwork and a colonoscopy. It's been three years since my last physical so it's very important that I get this done. I'm in good health and take no medications, but I wouldn't want to push it.
Physical exam: Done
Blood Work: Done
Dexascan for bone density: Friday
Colonoscopy: Scheduled

I'm coming to the end of my medical test wish list.

Kind regards,

Sally

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dexascan for bone density: Done
Colonoscopy: Scheduled

I have one final medical test to go. I'm all set with everything I need and I'm feeling confident about it. When this is finished, I'm going to have a reason to celebrate. This has been one very busy month. The next step is to get the results of the tests and to tweak my health routine to reflect my body's requirements.

Kind regards,

Sally

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I had my eye appointment today. It had been 3 years but there were only a couple of very slight changes in my vision, and overall my eyes are quite healthy. I've got my new prescription so in the next several days I'll go pick out some new frames. I've been wearing these glasses for at least 10 years and it's time to update my look. :)

Wednesday I went for my physical and to get the results of blood work, mammogram, and bone density scan. This weekend I'll go get a supply of the vitamins, etc., that my doctor recommends for me. In late July I'll have blood work again and a follow-up with my physician to see how things are.

On Feb. 11 I'll go for my periodontist appointment.

SallyC, thanks for this challenge!

·
Registered
292 Posts
l will join this challenge! Great idea.
My colonoscopy is 2 years overdue (shameful, I know), but scheduled a week of vacation and have my test scheduled next Wednesday. What a vacation! Lol.
I need to check and see when I can schedule my dental and vision appt.
I am up to date on blood work, mammo, gyne.
Hopefully others will join in. If we don't take care of our own health, who will?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Susan, please don't feel badly about being overdue on medical tests. The point is to get them done. :) I was overdue on nearly all of mine. The only thing that was up to date was my dental. When this year turned over and I was trying to work out my 20 wishes for the 2015 20 Wishes thread, I realized that what I truly wanted was to get these tests and exams taken care of. Interestingly, I haven't yet gotten around to participating in the thread that helped me to realize these goals.

Kind regards,

Sally

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I already knew that this was the year to get some medical things done but SallyC starting this thread was a great incentive for me. I've found when I write something down, and especially when others see the list, I am much more likely to accomplish it. Thanks, Sally!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Get your vitamin D level checked if you haven't already.

Ack, I posted wrong - this is in reply to wjcalderon

·
Registered
581 Posts
Get your vitamin D level checked if you haven't already.

Ack, I posted wrong - this is in reply to wjcalderon
Thanks for the advice, but I had my vitamin D level checked this past summer, along with thyroid and everything else. My vitamin D was just a little low and I've been taking supplements with no change in my energy level.

The doctor put me on a mild antidepressant. We'll see what happens........

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay! Good for you, Jean. We have to do what we need to do to take care of ourselves. Our families will benefit. :)

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I have mild depression, hypoactive thyroid, low vitamin D levels, and somewhat low B12 levels. So I take an antidepressant, Synthroid, vitamin D and B12 supplements. I hate having to be on so many meds but hey, you do what you have to do to function.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday was the big day. I had my colonoscopy so now I can say my healthcare is all up to date. It's a great feeling to have it all done.

If you're worried about this test, as I was, let me say that it is no big deal. The prep wasn't all that much fun. I felt like Dumbledore drinking the potion as I drank the bowel prep. It tasted like flat, salty 7-up. It's a very large volume of liquid to have in one's stomach all at once. At the hospital, the staff prepped me as they would for surgery, with an IV and monitors. I fell asleep at 8:30 and woke at 9:00. The test was done. I had no pain at all. After some water and graham crackers my husband took me home. The rest of the day I "played sick" and watched 4 DVDs.

As of yesterday, I've received the results of all the tests and blood work. I need to make a few adjustments, like getting back to being more active (now that I've got my back pain under control), adding some vitamin supplements and watching my cholesterol. Overall I'm happy to say that I'm in good health. I'll set some more health goals for the next month and get those checked off as well.

Let me encourage anyone who reads this to please set a goal and get all of your health checks up to date. It's so easy to put it off yet many of these tests can detect serious disease and treat it before it gets really scary.

Kind regards and the best of health to you,

Sally

Dexascan for bone density: Done
Colonoscopy: DONE!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sally! I had my colonoscopy yesterday too. Doesn't it feel good to have that out of the way for years? I need to get mine every 5 years because of a family history of colon cancer. I treated myself with a little online clearance shopping and some movies the rest of the day.
Will be calling my pcp for an appointment next.
Have a great day!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts