Frugal Village Forums banner
2121 - 2140 of 4061 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
I know my weight fluctuates due to salt. :( But I weigh every day and some fluctuation is normal. If it goes up a couple pounds overnight I don't worry about it and just drink more water. Lately I'm not losing because I haven't been tracking like I should be. That's key for me and I wish I didn't hate it so much.

I know about the hidden salt in the ingredients in baked goods, too. :) That sucks. Vanilla doesn't really have sodium. Neither does yeast or flour. Baking soda and powder seem to be the worst offenders.

I've done a pretty good job of cutting out a high percentage of processed foods but the last big challenge for me is processed meats. We rely on those too much but I can't come up with good alternatives. Anyone have suggestions? What can we eat in wraps and sandwiches that is quick and easy to grab, but low fat, low cal, and lower in salt than ham or other deli meats? We do pretty well avoiding the high fat stuff like summer sausage, but get a big fat fail when it comes to avoiding salt, and worse yet, nitrates. We're working our way through the sandwich meats we have in the freezer and I'd like to find alternatives so we quit buying them. I haven't had good luck using stuff like turkey or other meats because they get so dry, and then we add mayo which defeats the purpose.

I think people ignore the salt warnings because it's just too darn hard to follow the guidelines, even if you don't eat a lot of processed commercially prepared foods.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,123 ·
Welcome, Sweetz! Great job on the plum jam! yum...

OM, thanks for the "brown" recipe, going to do it tomorrow!!

SD, Sorry, I try to convert everyone to my diet. If I gain over 2 lbs in a day I have to go in right away, to see what is going on..

My DS came up with my lunch meat problem, I love processed meats! Now he smokes extra, chicken, beef, roasts, pork,, he has a meat slicer, we slice it really thin, oh, my it is So good. now I just pull it out of the freezer. I have found I can use avacado instead of mayo, of yum, on a chicken and tomato sandwich!! My Mom use to put it thru a meat grinder, mix with, mayo, pickle relish, whatever you want, and it was really good, maybe a food processer would work too.

I bought a mess of avacados last week, found a recipe to freeze it in ice cube trays, then I can just pull one out when I want for a sandwich or something.

Having fish and zucchini for dinner.

We are having the storms again today, so you guys will probably be getting more storms, not sure whiuch way they are going..

You guys are all into animals, I have posted this site a couple tiimes, I have been doing it for years, but all you do is click on a banner every day.. each click gives 1 bowl of food to rescues.. its free, but alot of people are doing it and its feeding alot of animals,, google theanimalrescuesite.com and sign up and help feed the furbabies...I try to give 365 bowls a year.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I was already to say "don't use salt substitutes because of potassium" and you already had it, girl! Ironically, I used to love salt, my BP was always low so i would try to cut back here and there but being fat was a bigger concern, lol. Now, I have to take salt tablets and try to eat as much of it as I can to bring up my BP. Old me would've been thrilled, now it tastes different and I don't crave it like I used to. So weird!

I had another day of being out cold. I heard nothing and my door was wide open. So I think maybe I should see what a day brings and then make my plan because I hate making a plan and then be in coma all day accomplishing nothing. I just came to and could go right back for the night. I have to remember to tell neuro this. oh well, nothing pressing I don't think has to be done today, so push forward.

my ex-husband said, "I'm a cat person, I hate dogs." I'm very, very allergic to cats, asthma, etc., I could never have one. And I am a dog person and cannot even imagine a life without one, would never have a life without one. I told him I didn't think this would work, nice knowing you. He back tracked. I was working 3-11 living in apt with a friend that did not allow pets. So my parents had my dog, who they had had while I was in college so they didn't mind. Ex worked days, all of a sudden, he started going to my parents and walking my dog and they became fast friends. Lesson of the story? they may change their mind on dogs but they may not be the person you thought they were, so stick to DOGS, men are harder to train

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You guys are all into animals, I have posted this site a couple tiimes, I have been doing it for years, but all you do is click on a banner every day.. each click gives 1 bowl of food to rescues.. its free, but alot of people are doing it and its feeding alot of animals,, google theanimalrescuesite.com and sign up and help feed the furbabies...I try to give 365 bowls a year.
do you happen to have the link?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the link to the animal rescue site Pinetree. I hope the recipe is good..you never know sometimes. LOL!! You might want to calculate the sodium in your ingredients in case yours are different from the authors. His flour has sodium (the whole wheat best for bread flour) and my regular old Gold Medal doesn't have any sodium so you could maybe get the total sodium lower. The sodium free baking powder would be great here I'd think! His baking powder has 3.375 in 3/4 of a tsp. That's not much baking powder for that many mg of sodium. As SD said the vanilla in most cases is zero but in his case his had .567 mg so you'll have to check your stuff out. Technically under 1 you might not even want to bother to count but I know you have to be really careful and stay within the limits so you may want to count it even if it's that low. I am only watching my sodium because of a family history of heart disease and I'd rather get a handle on it now then to have the doc say in the future that I HAVE to restrict it in order to survive. Or the worst case scenario is I develop massive heart disease. I don't want to go down that road if at all possible so that's why I'm getting it in check. You know I'm one of those people with the high BP that never watched my sodium. They did tell me to watch my salt but didn't give me any numbers to stick with so I didn't really pay much attention to it. They gave me meds. This was 20 years ago and it's taken me this long to finally light a fire under my fanny to start keeping track. My limit is 2300....my doc said if I can get it lower it's even better but he can live with me at 2300. PM me the recipes your kids use for the sauces or their website etc. I'd love to see them! I love the Sweet Baby Ray's sauce but it's not pretty on the sodium. I measure it out vs just tossing it on the meat but if I could find a low sodium sub that would be awesome. I lost a good amount of weight in 2013 and BP dropped to normal and they took me off meds. So I gained most of the weight back and went back on the meds. <gong> You're doing it wrong hikr! So I'm back at it losing the weight and hoping I can get off the meds again (and stay off!), My BP is good on the meds but creeps up when I'm off and overweight.

OM thanks for the hash brown recipe!! Do you freeze them on a cookie sheet first so they don't all clump together or do they stay kind of separate when you freeze them just pouring them in bag? I like being able to take out a serving at a time etc so I'm wondering which way would be best to freeze them.

SD I love the processed meats too. We've purchased turkey breasts before and cooked them and shaved the meat off and that works but I've been having a really hard time finding salt free birds! They all have salt as a preservative. I may need to find a local farm or something with free range birds and see if they have fresh with no preservatives I can take home, roast then cut the meat off and avoid the salt preserving. I did find Dietz and Watson makes a no salt added turkey breast at my store deli. It's ok, not amazing like the salt laden ones but it will do. I've been thinking I may start trying the dehydrated peanut butter that is just peanuts. You rehydrate it with water and spread it on your sandwich. I like peanut butter. The one I have now is PB2 and while it's good it does have sodium in it. I think the jams / jellies are low sodium or no sodium but I need to check. What I really want is a fat grilled ham and cheese sandwich. NOT happening. :( Sigh.

Sweetz4me the jam sounds good! Hope your son has a good first day tomorrow!

We made it to the little farm and got 10 lbs of potatoes. And we had roasted potatoes with our dinner. Ahh...fall is coming :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
2/3 today. Completely spaced on the phone call to the doc, so I'll do that tomorrow morning. (I put a reminder note on the bathroom mirror) The talk about cats and dogs is so comforting to me, I always thought we were strange...we have 5 cats and 2 dogs...and a parrot. 4 cats and 1 dog were rescues, the big dog was a farm dog's puppy, and the big cat was from a friend. The parrot was also a rescue.
Well, the red jams are done so I'm on to the purple. Can't wait until it's all done. (we don't actually eat that much jam, I give it for Christmas gifts)

OM, I always shred my potatoes before I cook them...I tend to overcook whole potatoes and then when I try to shred them, I get mashed potatoes. It's also a lot quicker to cook them as shreds. I just blanch for 2 minutes and they are ready to dehydrate...I never tried freezing them, but I'll bet my husband would love it.

Tomorrow:

1. Big grocery shop at the stock up store.
2. Put away groceries.
3. Make some hot sauce.(If I have the energy)

Have a fantastic day, Everyone!

Jen

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,128 ·
Jen Thanks for the potato idea, I can grate with the food processer then cook them, how easy!!
Looks like we are all animal crazy! I thought I was crazy having 10 cats!!
I love purple jams and jellies!

Bernice click on where it says the animal rescue sight and it will take you there,, I am So computer savvy, I had no idea that would work!! lol

I have low blood pressure, and use to take salt tablets especially in the summer, thats why I am having to much trouble with these ones I am on. I only take 1/2 a tablet, but some days its just too much, and Dr Cardio, says I have to stay on them...Let me know about your sleeping, I have been doing that alot lately too!

Hikroo, I found a fruit spread, no sugar. 5mg salt at king soopers, its Simple Truth organic, four fruit, I love it! I dont use bread much so I take my PB and mix it with my jam and just eat it with a spoon,,um, fresh peanut butter? Let me know.. also found the simple truth potatoes have less salt than like oridas frozen.
Those red potatoes sound wonderful;, you are so lucky to get fresh ones!

I'll see if they will give me their recipe, they kinda are keeping it from me, they are SO proud they can make it, and they will make it whenever I want! And they DO! lol
I'm kinda stuck on a bottle a friend sent me, it is SO good, I tend to use it first, but have to watch the salt.. so it might take awhile...

I need to find jams I can make without sugar, oh well till I do , i will just eat the fruit,,,

I need to fix dinner, have a wonderful night!

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
The salt solution in meats these days isn't for preserving, it's to retain fluid in the meat so it stays moist and doesn't dry out as it cooks. I quit buying those bags of frozen chicken breasts because of the salt solution. It ticked me off they add salt water, and then I was paying a lot of cheap salt water that they said on the package could be up to a third of the weight. I usually just buy fresh breasts from the meat counter now and make sure it's labeled without added water or whatever they say.

Are those meat slicers a pain to wash, Pinetree? I've thought about getting one for a long time but I'm not sure we'd use it to do a lot of meat at a time. If it's going to take me all day to wash the thing, it probably wouldn't get used. I'd love to be able to thin-slice meats and cheese at home though.

I do need to learn to use the smoker. How hard can it be, after all? And I have a ton of books and have had friends demo how to do it, too. I have one of those bullet smokers which doesn't seem to be the best kind and I don't like it very much, so maybe that's the problem. I also have one of these for the stovetop though, so maybe I could make small batches and learn on that. https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/365-kettle-smoker#.VclHcPl50v4 Or I could learn to smoke on one of our Cobb grills. I guess I don't have any excuse not to learn. Whatever, I do need to learn to smoke stuff. It's on my to-do list. Someday...

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
pinetree-I am afraid its true you are blueberry selfish. Haha.
You got my thinking about my Ddad and his fav. cherry pie place.
We always went to "The Cherry Pie Hut" in Beuhla,mi. (said Bew-la) As a kid I loved the red red paper menus we got. We always sat outside so we could use our loud voices and not to disturb the diners. Trust me-I wasn't a loud kid most of the time. I should prob. do an omage to Ddad for the 2nd anniv. of his passing this Sept.
So good for a peek Cherryhutstore.com and they have been in business since 1922.

So we walked around 1 campsite circle at the park before the bugs came out. The downhill was great,the uphill other side no so much. The rains are coming in so we drove back after going out on the dock at the boat launch.

catch you all tomorrow. hugs!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Please forgive me for taking such a long time to answer. I had a bad day yesterday, probably overdid it a little last week. But hey it had to be done, and it means that I can take it more easy for the rest of the month.

Pinetree: yes the floor is done and I am generally feeling better. Not worrying about my health and the house means I have a lot more time/en energy for other things, which in turn give me energy because I have done something positive.

SD: bicarbonate is a main ingredient of baking powder with as structure NaHCO3, the Na being sodium of course, so yes there is a lot of sodium in it ;). (sorry couldn't keep my inner chemical geek from doing it)

Well for yesterday I didn't do a lot, needed the break. Not sure what I am going to do today either. Ah well, I ll try to report back later.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Today is our annual family visit to Boothbay Harbor. We've done this since DD was little and now we want it to continue with her kids. We ride the trolley into town. We always get salt water taffy at the place where you watch them make it, then get ice cream down the road, walk out onto the pedestrian bridge and just poke around town. It's a little touristy town on the water. Very quaint and pretty. Riding the trolley is my favorite part. LOL! I love the open windows and people watching (that doesn't sound stalkerish right? HAHA). I sometimes forget just how beautiful our state is and seeing it through a tourists eyes makes me realize all over again how great it is here.

Yesterday we took a ride to our fave little farm and got some new red potatoes. This place grows the best red potatoes. They have a farm stand that is open 24/7. It's a small wooden building with bags of potatoes stacked up, price tacked on the wall and a lock box you put your money in. You put down on clipboard what you bought and you're done. Total honor system. Again, this is why I love Maine. We bought ten lbs. Now to decide what to do with them. I'm thinking of OMs hash browns! :)

Ayanka so glad the floor is done. Nice to get that job out of the way.

FW my Dad loves cherry pie. For Christmas every year my sister makes him one for part of his gift.

Jen our greyhound was a rescue. She was just the sweetest dog.

Hi ILC, Rabbit, Niko, Bernice, Sally, Sweetz4Me and anyone I missed! The kiddos are coming down the driveway so I'm off to play tourist in my own state :) Have a great day!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
There's another good animal site that contributes free litter and kibble: Freekibble There's a dog tab, a cat tab, and a litter tab. I usually do all 3---only takes a minute. Plus the site that pinetree mentioned.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an at-home blood pressure monitor? I'm supposed to be checking mine daily per the cardiologist, and I keep putting off getting one...I think it's a case of denial that I actually have a cardiologist now.

It's the dog days of summer and all I want to do is lie around and be a lazy lady. Yesterday was another bust except for reading. I did get a bit of floor scrubbed. Today I'm trying borax as the cleaning agent. So far I've used baking soda on one section and dishwasher detergent on another. Any recommendations on that? Actually the scrubbing seems to be doing the trick rather than the cleaner. We bought a bunch of little brushes at Harbor Freight and I use those. It's just brown dirt that is coming up--really embarrassing that I've let it go this long. But some progress is being made, and it's a project I've wanted to do, so now that it's started I know I'll continue it. Getting started is always the hardest part for me.

For Tuesday:

1) Load and run dishwasher DONE
2) Quick reset downstairs
3) Go through a kitchen cabinet that has become disturbingly crowded and see what I can donate
4) Go through some more paperwork to discard, shred, or file
5) Go through some coupons I found yesterday
6) Talk with DH about tuition this semester
7) Figure out what chicken dish to cook for supper

Have a good Tuesday, everybody.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
I couldn't stand myself so I hit the lake, finally, and treated myself to a two-mile ride. My weight loss has stalled lately due in part to slacking off on the exercise. It was gorgeous out there! The water here is like tea from the tannins from all the trees that shed their leaves into the water. It's clear down to about ten feet, just tea-colored. Today it was amazing seeing the sunlight as it passed down into the water. Sometimes it was like those cartoon pics you see of shafts of light shooting out of a pot of gold, sometimes it was like a sunburst right under my bike. It was all so pretty, like the northern lights only in water. I saw our little family of four loons, and our loner loon, too, and just one boat that was so silent I didn't even notice when they left the area. What a perfect day! I've only been out once in the past couple weeks since Husby got hurt falling on the dock. It's so hard to drag my bike out since we put in those boat rollers, which was the day Husby got hurt although one has nothing to do with the other. I concluded today the FD conveniently put in a nice wooden post right where we'd need to attach a winch, so the next time I get near a big box store, I'm buying a winch. I wouldn't mind so much woman-hauling the dang bike out of the lake, but I'm pulling uphill over uneven ground which is sometimes slippery, and it's a matter of time before I fall and hurt myself. Not willing to do that forever. I do need to stop by the FD and beat on their door to see if I can find someone to talk to me about what we can do that won't interfere with what they need to do, but I don't think they need to walk behind the hydrant where the winch needs to be.

When I was coming back from my ride, I was planning to park myself right over the creepy BFR that ambushed me lately. I was going to neener-neener it for a while and beat my irrational fear of it, but the more I thought about that, the creepier it seemed so it won again. I made sure not to go anywhere near it so didn't even see it today. Some of the littler ones (shopping cart size) I have to pass over on the way to the dock were bad enough.

So much for the theory that if you don't use something in a year, you should just get rid of it. Yeah, sure. I found a plastic map of our lake in our geocaching stuff when I was moving totes away from the pool table. Now we have a much better idea of how far things really are from our house, and what the names are of the islands we've been biking around too. I'm happy about the map because now we don't have to guess at distances quite as much. And we don't have to spend any money getting another one. And it's little so it fits nicely in my bike cubby. I put a floaty thing on it so if it falls in the lake, it won't sink. I think I need some more floaty things.

I moved the framing for the greenhouse up the hill, off the parking pad the dirt guy is going to make into a real parking pad instead of just a somewhat flat spot where we've been parking our trailers. I moved the bike trailer out of the way, too. I looked that spot over and decided if we take down about six trees we could enlarge that pad nicely, so I suspect Husby will be getting out the chainsaw tonight. I think that means the bike trailer has to be moved somewhere else, now that I think about it. But it's not every day we have a bulldozer at our disposal, so it seems to make sense to get the parking pad the way we really want it so it suits our needs better. We've never had three trailers there on a regular basis before, so it seems smart to make it as big as we can while the guys are working out here anyway. Especially since the greenhouse is going to go where we've parked the camper in the past.

Still have to do some cleaning in the camper and get that folded down in preparation of moving it when Husby gets home. I think that needs to go where the utility trailer is, so there's going to be some major shuffling going on. We were going to put it down by the road where the moho used to be, but that's full of a dead tree now and it's going to take some time to cut that up. We don't really want the LP tanks and battery down there either. The bikes and dock stuff are a big enough target for theft. I think we could get the bike trailer and the utility trailer into the moho parking pad without too much trouble though, and put the camper between the garage and cabin where it's been before. Some days I wish our driveway area up here by the house was bigger, and today is one of those days. Getting the camper into that space is always an interesting challenge. I'm glad Husby can manage it because I'd have it hopelessly hung up. I could back our old travel trailer like nothing but the pop ups, forget it.

Some editorial stuff is on the to-do list today, too, so it's a busy day. I like that.

Hope everyone else is having a great day, too.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,136 ·
Hi, got up to see the sunrise! It was beautiful!

SD, Have you checked out Zaycon fro chicken or beef?
The meat slicer only takes 5 min to remove, wash, dry and replace, its a Bass Pro, professional made by red head. Its works great.
The smoker they have is a Traeger, we have a brinkman, DH has drilled holes and added vents, ours put on alot of black smoke, where the kids doesnt. But I dont want to spend that kind of money on a smoker, they did get one heck of a deal on theirs at the stock show in Jan. Traegergrills/recipies.com

FW, um, blueberry sellfish, aww hahaha, what am I when I have bing cherries, they are my favorite fruit, oh, man I go nuts over them!!

Funny my Dad's favorite pie was cherry, we use to go pick tons of them and sit and pit them forever! We would have a freezer full of cherries. I am going to order the 3 pack for Christmas in their memory! Yours and mine!! Thanks for the link!

Ayanka, Now take it easy the rest of the month!! Thanks on the baking powder, sometimes I need a chemical geek to figure out all this!

Hikr00, Enjoy your day at Booth Bay! Sounds like alot of fun!
here the recipe
1c. warm water
3 Tbsp warm milk
! pkg active dry yeast
3 Tbsp sugar
Combine, let sit until foamy.

In bowl combine
31/2 c bread flour and
3 Tbsp butter
rub with fingers until you have crumbs.

Mix in 1 slighly beaten egg, and yeast mixture, knead until smooth and elastic, dough will be slightly sticky, ( we had to add alittle more flour)

Allow dough to rise 1 hour or until doubled ( we sprayed plastic wrap with pam and covered the bowl )

Divide dough in 8 equal pieces and form into a ball. Place on parchment paper lines cookie sheet, cover again with pam sprayed plastic and allowto rise about 1 hour.
Brush tops with egg wash and sprinle with poppy seed or sesame seed if desired.

Bake at 400* for about 15 minutes or until brown.

We are going to make 10 buns next time, the last one came out really big. Hope it works for you.

ILC, How are you feeling? Your blood pressure doing better? Did you get your grout done? That sounds like a big job!

RABBIT< man I keep yelling, you must be having too much fun with that new puppy!!

Niko.. Ok you are starting to worry me, hope you are ok.

OM, Sending up prayers for you, Can you go get food stamps or something to help you out for awhile? Have you found a food bank to help you out? I see yhou are keeping an eye on DH, thats got to be scarey, but hopefully he will be ok..

Jen. dont try doing too much at once! We like having you around!!

Hello to everyone I forgot, My mind is just blank,, ha ha,

Today
run, empty dishwasher
fix dinner
freeze avacodos

dinner, diablo chicken, brocolli and rice

I just wanted to let you know you guys are the best! I havent laughed this hard for months!! DH commented last night that he noticed I was cracking up at the computer, and I just sat here and thought, yeah, you ladies have stayed with me and brought me through all this nasty storm, Again I am feeling So Good!! ANd I owe alot of to you guys and keeping me uplifted and pushing me forward!! Thanks friends,,, Big smile

Enjoy your day and expect something good!

Hi SD an ILC we posted together again!!

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
ILC, is this the floor with the grout? Would Tilex work? It has bleach in it. I've only used it to clean our camper awning when it developed mold but it sure did a great job.

My doc does not recommend the BP cuffs that go on your wrist. He thinks the ones you put on your upper arm are more accurate. Whatever you get, take it to the doc's office and compare it to the ones they use to check its accuracy. Some are better than others. You should be able to have a nurse help you with that without being charged anything. At least, we can do that here for free since you're not seeing the doc.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
Pinetree, you did it again! LOL!

No Zaycon here. Thanks for info about the slicer. I think we'd use one enough over the rest of our lifetime to be worth buying a decent one, just can't decide what to buy.

Our smoker is a Brinkmann, too. I think part of the problem is I'm in the habit of buying lean meats and that's not necessarily the best for smoking, from what I can gather. I should smoke the fatties I have in the freezer. Nothing wrapped in bacon is going to dry out in a smoker! :D I did buy a roasting rack for our Cobb, so I can do small batches on that now without burning it in the middle. I usually do the fatties on that. So tasty! But again, wrapped in bacon, how can I go wrong? LOL!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,140 ·
ILC, my blood pressure is made by ORMAN, 3 series, advanced accuracy, easy one touch, its the cuff kind that goes on your upper arm, Dr. cardio. approved here. Sorry you have one now too. Maybe you can get rid of yours??

Try the tilex, it worked in a rental we had with college kids.

thanks for the link, I can click 3 times to help out!

SD, Thanks for the tour of the lake, its so calming to read about it! Tea colored huh, how cool is that? Did you see what epa did to one of our rivers? What a mess, and that orange color does not look good in the river.

Hope you get your drive way done, we paved our a few years back love it, but it does get kinda hot out there.

2121 - 2140 of 4061 Posts