Frugal Village Forums banner

2821 - 2840 of 4061 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,821
SD Thank you so much for posting the bikes again, awww now I can day dream the rest of the day away...

Leave your lilies planted I had to move some and the next year they didnt come up then the next spring they were everywhere, and still doing fine.
Oh yum, smokies, those sound really good, and yea I bet they are really healthy, love those with scrambled eggs!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Today was difficult at best. The gyno took 90 min. Dmom had them send the scripts to Walgreens and we were in there a hour. Never transmitted. They went to lunch so I had to leave Dmom w/o scripts. She is still waiting to hear they were filled at 5pm. Dbro is coming over tomorrow to get them.
I drove home and i couldnt get it because the house flipper had dropped 6 trees in the road and the neighbors drive. Its like armageddon w/ the chipping chopping and dropping. He asked why my dogs were acting like that?
My dmom drove me crazy. Then I felt guilty. She is perpetually confused,telling me I'm wrong about almost everything. Kinda worried about her state of mind.
I feel impatient because my nerves are already strung tight.
SO i have to say zero on the getting things done count.
Dh had his interveiw but went back to work so I am waiting on that.

pinetree-got another nap in today. thanks.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
fw, please talk with your mom's primary care dr. about her confusion. That bothers me. My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after displaying confusion, memory issues, etc. I'm not diagnosing her, but she's 82, and well, it just worries me. It could be too many meds, wrong dosages, etc., but it needs to be checked.

Hope DH's interview went well.

Gbug, will the test Monday be the last one for a while? Prayers that it will go smoothly for you.

SD, I'm with fw on that---I too thought the bikes happened just this past spring.

pinetree, here in the South we wrap up the smokies in crescent rolls and bake them----they're known as pigs in a blanket. I cut each unbaked crescent roll (the kind from a can) into 3 parts and roll a smokie in each, so we get 24 out of the can. Maybe they're called something different in other parts of the country. My whole family loves them, but we don't have them often 'cause the only good thing about them is the taste. They are pretty non-nutritional.

Well, the vet did blood work on Sophia and will get the results tomorrow, but for now she's pretty sure it's thyroid issues because she could feel the thyroid very well and Sophia is displaying all the symptoms. So once we hear we'll be able to start her on thyroid meds twice a day. The vet also found a heart murmur even though it took a while because Sophia was purring so loudly! Finally the vet put Sophia next to the sink and ran some water and that caused the purring to stop so the heart could be heard.

On the way home Sophia messed up the kitty carrier. It was awful, we had to roll down the car windows and stop in a parking lot to make sure none was leaking out onto the car seat. Luckily none was. Once we got home I had to dunk Sophia in a big bowl of warm water and wash her off. Poor baby, I guess all the excitement just got to her.

My autumn decor is still not completed but all it will take is a couple of little things, plus some live plants for the yard.

For Wednesday:

1) Make a couple of phone calls
2) Scrub my stove top
3) Wipe down kitchen cabinets
4) Go through grocery ads and coupons
5) Bible study homework
6) Church 6:30

Have a good one, ladies!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
ILC-sounds not so good. Maxx used to do that in the carrier for his yearly visit but of the 32 I have owned over the years I don't recall any other. I hope everything works out and that the labs are good.
Dmom is 83 almost 84 (Dec.) I am blaming my Dbro for not going in w/ her last time. He butted me out of the way and then actually went somewhere else during the appt. So it ended up 3 months in between. I'm not ok w/ that w/ the sodium instabilities. She was swearing up and down the other day he never took her and she went on the bus. So anyway I will push for another blood test.

So Dh had his interview. He was under the impression he could start Mon. from the recruiter. They said it wouldnt be for 3 weeks and they'd let him know. We are kinda at odds on the best course of action and I think I better pray about it.
He had a 2nd interview w/ another company that he would split time between home and about 20 miles to the office,supposedly minimum travel. Don't know the pay on this one yet but it's supposed to be permanent. This job constant reset is getting very hard at our age as we try to play catch up on retirement.

Going to the rescue tomorrow and hopefully it will be a non-stressful day there -soo funny.

·
Registered
628 Posts
ILC I hope wee Sophia is feeling better today and the results show something simple to fix. Sorry you didn't get to see the eclipse, I remember watching Haley's Comet and thinking about the age I would be when it came around again. I think it was the first time as a young'un I thought about my own mortality. The things we get to see only a few times or once in our lives are good for a wee bit of perspective.

GB glad you have a date for the puncture & hope your form is a bit better today!

Pintree, thanks for the picture request:thumb: Have you ever tried Epsom salts in a bath for sore muscles after exercising?, they are great! I was glad I got started on my Jams plan to do loads tomorrow :)

SD Thanks a million for the pictures, much appreciated & those bikes look like great craic!! Showed them to dh & he thought they were great! The links were very thoughtful, did a bit of reading on them, Now I know a couple of birds that have red eye, but I hadn't equated it with the ability to see under water (no day is wasted when you learn something new) & they are fast, 75mph is quick for a water bird. I also gave a listen to the sound, eerie but in a very lovely way, thanks again! Then I was on a roll and youtubing more videos of them.... I have lettuce growing in a tray ready for transplanting into the winter bed but I must admit a Hydro unit is on my wish list !!

FW sorry to read that you had a frustrating day with your Mum yesterday, I have fingers, eyes and ears crossed in regards your dh's first and second interviews, I hope it went really well for him. Wishing your a stress free day today ;)

OM how are you doing? :wave: Hello to HIkr, Ayanka, Peanut & everyone else

I'm at 4.45pm here so a good chunk of my day over, all morning routines got done, then visitors & then trying to sort out my passport, met a lovely Garda who spent a good hour with me making sure connected computer systems were updated, good guy!(An Garda na Síochána are our police which translates as Guardians of the Peace). Then drop my Dad in to pick up his car. Then school runs, we are all home now & I'm catching up here.

I still have a few bit to do, which are:
Home work
Laundry
Dinner
Wash & tidy kitchen
Then I want to read for a while, feel like I need an old friend of a book, Hitchhikers guide maybe or tepper should do.
Hope everyone here is have a really good day:D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey there!! Yesterday DH had a tooth break so we spent the day waiting around in dentist / oral surgeon office as they decided to just remove the tooth. So that was most of our day yesterday. I skipped craft night last night because I was worried if he had a reaction to the antibiotic or something I didn't want to be 20 minutes away and him not being able to drive. That means though I rescheduled to tonight so I'm looking forward to that.

Today it is absolutely pouring out with flood warnings all over the state due to the high amount of rain that has fallen and continues to fall. So no outside walk for me today. I don't feel like going to the basement to hit the treadmill either so I think today I will be a lounge lizard. I've been doing the Couch to 5K program to prep for the upcoming Santa Hustle run and I am really starting to enjoy it. I don't run though...I had a fall a few years back and mucked up my back and knee so no running is happening here. However, when the app says to run I just walk as fast as I can. I am getting a tiny bit faster which was my goal. I don't care about being fast and I'll never be really fast but I did want to get past lying on the couch speed. hahaha! I did a turkey trot 5k on Thanksgiving back in 2010 and the first person that crossed the finish line did it in 25 minutes. 25 minutes to run 3.1 miles. Yeah, that WON'T be me! But the good thing is I'm really happy where I am with it and really pleased with my progress so that's a plus.

Rona I love daffodils. Our church gave every member a daffodil bulb in recognition of cancer charities and I came home that day and planted them right away. They are beautiful and come up every year faithfully (which is saying something because I have a gift of taking a healthy plant and killing it in a week).

OM I hope you're feeling better. The flu stinks :( How's Paige?

SD glad you got another spin on the bikes and glad the loons came out for you to see. I love them. When we were on Moosehead last week there was a pair that hung around in front of the cottage and they called back and forth. I absolutely love to hear them. No juncos here yet though. I've been watching for them as we usually get a large flock every spring and fall that come in for a few days then move on. I have noticed more activity at the feeders.

I'm the same way with recipes. I have tons and yet I find myself surfing online for ideas to improve what I already cook or just new ideas period. We tend to land in food ruts a LOT and I find myself making the same things over and over again. And you're right, suddenly nothing sounds good. Chicken is always my fallback meal. You can do so many things with chicken. I love Yukon Gold potatoes. I will toss them in the pan with a little coconut oil (depending on how healthy I'm trying to go) and fry slices of them up with a little bacon thrown in there for good measure. It's not something I do often because the sodium in the bacon isn't so great but now and then it rocks.

Pinetree the blood moon was awesome to see! I nearly forgot about it as I was busy going through some stuff and suddenly I noticed the time and hustled outside fast. I made a no salt added spaghetti sauce and DH snuck into the kitchen and got the salt and salted his. Grrr. I did have to laugh though. So much for my converting him to a low sodium lifestyle!

FW I hope the chipping is all done next door and you get some peace and quiet. I also hope you're sleeping better. A lot of missed sleep over the course of a few days or weeks can really run a person right down. We have the tufted titmouse birds here too and I love them!! So stinking cute. We get a lot of finches, chickadees, mourning doves and blue jays. We get others here and there but those are here daily.

What a nightmare with your Mom and the doctor yesterday :( Good luck with DH and the job decision. Praying about it sounds like a smart idea. I'd do the same were it me. Still keeping your DS in prayer for safety during his tour.

GB I hope the procedure goes well on Monday and I hope you're feeling OK today. Take it easy on yourself.

ILC bummer about Sophia's diagnosis but at least it's treatable so that's good. I hope the rest of the blood work is OK. That must have been a fun clean out of the cat carrier :( Ugh...I'm sure she was just stressed out. Poor thing, she must have been horrified. Cats do not like to get stuff on themselves (or at least mine don't). It's cool to see all the different regional thing, We have pigs in the blanket here like you said with the crescent rolls but here they are most often wrapped about a hot dog vs a smokie.

Today I have gotten the dishwasher unloaded and dishes put away, laundry folded and put away and my craft stuff gathered up to go to my friend's house tonight. Considering I've been supremely unmotivated today I'm pleased with what I did get done. LOL

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Made an cinnamon apple crumble and pumpkin bread is in the oven. Made it to Dollar Tree and Kroger this morning and got laundry done. Trying to keep going in spite of the excess fluid around my brain. Spirit Deer, I read nearly all day and want to finish the book today.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,831
ILC, hoping Sophia's tests come back negative, and shes ok. Two of ours get really thin in the summer, I think they get too hot and cut way down on their food.
Keeta use to have an accident coming home from the vet, she would get scared and lose her bowels, I felt so sorry for her, we always had towel and things we could wash, the smell was horrible, it was worse than changing a diaper, so I feel for you. We had a vet come to the house for years, but they always had to go in to town for big procedures. I really hope shes ok.
I am going to have to see if I can make your pigs in a blanket, it sounds good, I suppose the smokies ae too healthy and I can't have them.. lol

Hikr, Thats too funny on the sauce!! Did you find a recipe you like? It's amazing how easy it is to make!
I hope you don't get flooded out, some of the pictues from back there look really bad. Please be careful.

GM, are you feeling better today? You have been so busy, its probably hard to take it easy now. SO glad you got your test lined up, now I'm praying it comes out good.

OM, how are you today, hope you are feeling better too, hows Paige? Bet shes getting more excited!
Hugs..

FW, Wow the stress just keeps adding up for you! Take one day at a time, somehow things seem to work out. Good Luck to your DH and his jobs, Funny isn't it, I always thought things would be easier when we got older, well big surprise to me!! lol. Take care.

SD.Please send some energy my way!!
I have got to come up with some kind of menu plan, I keep saying that and never get around to it. I remember you putting the bikes away for the winter last year, at least you got to use them this year!!

Rona, what all are you canning? I still have a mess of tomatoes waiting for me in the freezer.. Have fun putting up your jam.

Hi to the rest of you, missing you guys!

Had a tough morning, we lost a good friend from a massive heart attack, he was 56. I just can't believe it, one of the best guys around, he would give you the shirt on his back, the entire world loved him..Its kinda hard, for me, why did he go and I'm still here... yea I know, It wasn't my time, but the..well it really makes a person think...

I started my hot pad, haha, you can tell I havent done this, I might be done with in in a year or two!!

We had, I think albertsons buy out safeway, man are they having some sales, if you have one you might want to check them out. Safeway use to be so expensive for me to shop at.

Today
run, empty dishwasher
wash rug & cat blanket, someone was busy getting sick,,
find dinner
check grocery store sales

Have a great day.
exercise

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Six straight hours on my feet, but only 3,000 steps so far today. I'll take it. It beats sitting on my rear.

Ta-done:
~eight servings WW chili for the freezer.
~five servings WW Tex-Mex beans and rice for the freezer and one for lunch. New recipe and it's a keeper.
~leftover rice saved to make fried rice for the freezer tomorrow.
~dishes I dirtied washed, plus extra.
~rake head I salvaged from the dump installed in the back porch as a rack for the broom, snow shovel, ice chopper, etc. Love that! Thanks, Pinterest! Hahaha! And I almost missed it when I saw it sitting out there in the junk pile, but grabbed it at the last second.
~drawers in refurbished cabinet for back porch reassembled and installed in cabinet.
~broken vent panel on bottom of big freezer repaired, after X years of bugging me. :sigh: It looks much better now. I guess I put off fixing it because I wasn't sure how, but once I took time to look at it, the solution was obvious and took five minutes. Why do I procrastinate so much?
~all the different types of tape put away in 'new' cabinet drawer. I think the other drawers will be used for tools. We seem to end up with a ridiculous amount of tools in the house and nowhere to put them. Just can't wait to get those two cabinets all done so I can quit thinking about them and give my attention to more interesting projects.
~vinyl flooring applied to shelves of second refurbished cabinet for back porch, and elderly contact cement used up before it became unsalvageable. I forgot how much that stuff stinks and what a headache maker it is, but it's done now and the house it airing out. Husby can help me lift the cabinet off the pool table tonight and make space for the glider rocker and sewing cabinet.
~finished reading the latest Jack Reacher. Excellent as always.

Lots of different ways to make pigs in a blanket. I've seen sausages wrapped in pancakes called that, too. All good but not healthy. I hate when that happens! I sometimes make toad in the hole with Little Smokies but that's really bad, too.

ILC, I hope you get good news about Sophia. One or two of our cats have a heart murmur. None of our vets who've mentioned it seem concerned. Two of them have a form of asthma, too. Again, no real concerns because they only start hacking every three weeks or so. Vet said sometimes it happens multiple times per day, which of course is not good. So we're lucky they have light cases. Our cat Louis who died a couple years ago always messed in his crate. I started using a larger crate with a tiny litter box in it, which only helped once in a while. It helped a lot more to put pee pads like people use on hospital beds in the crate, so at least when he messed he didn't get quite as wet. He was always easy to shower because if Husby picked him up under his front legs, he would just hang there while I hosed him off. He never fought or squirmed or fussed, although he would sometimes hiss sort of half-heartedly if the shower went on too long. He was a really good kitty. I could even shower him by myself. He didn't like it but tolerated it pretty well for a cat.

FW, I missed it somehow that your husband is looking for work again. I hope he can get something permanent soon.

Rona, we love our loons up here. They're so showy and pretty, and it's always a treat to hear them calling out on the lake, especially on still nights when the sound really carries across the water. I see by the poo under one of the chairs on the dock we have ducks roosting there, probably at night. We've always noticed some neighbors down the road have dock ducks but we've never been that lucky. The neighbor's dock ducks are mallards but since we haven't seen ours, I don't know what kind we have now. We used to have great blue herons on our dock quite often, and we did see them but not for years. We used to find crayfish parts on our dock all the time. We have quite a few AeroGardens but only four running at the moment. I need to get more tomatoes started since the one tomato garden is two years old and not producing much anymore, and I want to start some peppers, too. The big problem I have with the AGs now is that Sota eats peppers and tomatoes and anything else right off the plants, and I have very limited space for the gardens up high enough to keep him out of them. Husby picked everything we had outside (not much) last night ahead of another freeze warning. I don't think it froze anyway. We're usually ten degrees warmer than forecast lows at this time of the years because of being by the lake. We still have to plant a rhubarb plant and dig our few potatoes. I planted purple ones this year so I'm curious how well they did.

Hikr, hope the tooth isn't too painful and he heals fast. I saw the forecast for your area last night said 3-5 inches of rain and I was glad it's not us! Hope you don't get floods there.

Luckily, a little bacon goes a long way, if it's good bacon and not the cheap flavorless stuff. :)

We don't have mourning doves here. It's always a treat when we camp somewhere and hear them. We had lots of them where we grew up in southern Minnesota. We don't have cardinals here either.

GB, I have trouble putting down books from certain authors, too. Then I'm always disappointed I read them so fast and then have to wait at least a year for the next one! :D Lee Child, who writes the Jack Reacher series, is one of those authors for me.

Day Three of being on plan. So far, so good. I have to start losing weight again. I have no excuse for not doing much better than I have been.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Pinetree, stop that now! :D

I'm so sorry about your friend. That is way too young. :( :hugz:

I don't have a menu plan. Menus just don't work for me. I just make up stuff to have in the freezer, so I can nuke a HM meal on a moment's notice. I used to make whole meal-sized dishes to freeze, but since it's just the two of us, it actually works better to freeze individual servings. Then we can each have whatever sounds good to us. I can more easily stick with WW meals too.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,834
Thanks SD, like I said it makes a person think
I have got to do something, its getting hard trying to thaw something out an hour before we eat!!

My computer keeps acting up, all of a sudden the screen just goes black, it comes back on when it wants to , any ideas? I really don't want to but a new one!

Gotta get busy.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,835
ILC, I just saw its been 20 yrs since your Daddy went home, I know you miss him terribly..I'm so sorry.. Hugs...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Pinetree I'm so sorry about your friend. Yes, that is way too young. Prayers for peace for his family and for you in the loss of a dear friend. <3 <3

What type of menu plan are you trying to work on? I do a daily menu each morning because I'm working on weight loss and it helps me to have my day planned out in the morning. I do sort of plan a week out but mainly I do something like jot down a few ideas that use what we have then pick from that the day before in case something needs to be removed from the freezer. The weekly thing is more of an idea than a plan though because things change a lot. I've heard a lot of people do something along the lines of a set night for certain things. For example they'll do a beef night, chicken night, pasta night, breakfast night, soup night, meatless night and leftover night or out to eat night. Then just plug something in on each of those days. Good luck!! I do like having a loose plan each week because otherwise I"m scrambling in the morning for dinner ideas and realizing I need two days to defrost the turkey or something like that. LOL. I really only plan out the main meal though. We have sandwiches for one meal every day so I always keep stuff for sandwiches and breakfast stuff on hand so I only really have to plan on one meal a day. Poor DH, when I retired he thought that meant I would cook two full meals every day. Umm..NO?? I did at first and after a couple of weeks I realized we had 100 lbs of leftovers (because those don't thrill him) and we had each gained five lbs. We managed on sandwiches for one meal and one "big" meal a day for years when working so we went back to that format. Well, I went back to it. DH didn't have a choice as he's not really good at cooking. hahaha. :)

SD That's a bummer you don't have the mourning doves or cardinals. My grandmother used to call ours "cows" because when they'd come in the evening for their evening meal they looked like a herd of cattle heading in. They would be so chunky and flutter in calling all the way. LOL. So when we see them we'd holler out to each other "cows coming in". :) We're an odd bunch here. haha.

I adore cardinals. My Mom did too and now when I see one I think of her. The anniversary of her death was in February and even though this is the 4th anniversary this year for some reason was really difficult for me and I was just so sad all morning. I walked into the kitchen at lunch time to fix lunch and a cardinal immediately landed on the feeder and stood there looking towards the kitchen. I just knew it was my Mom sending a sign telling me she's fine and it's all OK. That turned my whole day around. I whispered "thanks Mom" and the bird flew away. I know some think there's no such things as signs from those that have passed and it's OK to not believe in them but I do and that one was much needed at that moment. When I went to the quilt shop in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago I bought a cardinal quilt kit. It's shelved for now because I just don't have time but I'm excited to pull it out when I can and start working on it.

Good for you for day three of sticking to your plan!! YES!! You've got this! I had to adjust my menu as I indulged in a few Oreo Thins. Those things are pretty good!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
My old laptop did the same, Pinetree. A big-time computer geek engineer friend of mine, who was on the team that developed the original Android phone, gave me the bad news he thought it was the motherboard and there was no good fix for it. Given his education and tech savvy, I believed him and still do, although he did say it could be other things. I looked into installing a new motherboard but it looked like it was beyond my skill level with electronics, so I just took Husby's laptop and he bought a new desktop he's still totally in love with.

My suggestion is to get anything and everything backed up that you have on your ailing computer, just in case it quits completely. I should have and didn't, and regretted it later. Luckily I got it all back now, thanks to buying the new shell at the rummage sale and being able to install the old hard drive in it. But that was just dumb luck.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
pinetree, I am so sorry about your friend. Yes, 56 is too young. But don't feel guilty because he's gone and you're not. God's plans are perfect (if at times very difficult to understand) and we need to thank Him for giving us the time we have.

Thanks for the sweet sentiments about Daddy. I miss him so much but I'll see him again some day. What an awesome thing that is!

hikr, hope that rain stops soon. We finally had sunshine yesterday for most of the day---even the pastor mentioned it last night at church since it had been so long. We're expecting more rain for the next several days from Tropical Storm/Hurricane Joaquim but next week it's supposed to be absolutely gorgeous and fall-like.

I love cardinals too. Did you know they mate for life, and that the daddy helps the mama raise the babies? We have several cardinal couples who live in our yard, and I love to see them hopping around on the ground enjoying the black-oil sunflower seeds we give them. We buy big bags when they're on sale at Tractor Supply.

Gbug, I know your kitchen must have smelled delightful with all those delicious things baking. Try not to overdo.

fw, you do have a lot going on now. Prayers for all of you, especially your DS.

SD, no mourning doves up there? We certainly have them here. Lately we've seen and heard a few formations of wild geese flying overhead on their way south.

Rona, when I read your posts I picture a cozy cottage with an open fireplace and decorations in lovely bright colors. To me that's the quintessential Ireland. Please don't tell me I have it all wrong :)

Hi to everybody else---om, Jen, Ayanka, Niko. If I missed anyone, please forgive me.

Sophia does indeed have hyperthyroidism. We'll have to pill her twice a day forever and forever. And also she has to be rechecked in a month. Apparently cats and humans usually have the opposite thyroid issues---they are "hyper" and we are "hypo." They get thin and we get fat....

We're back to rain today so I can't go out and do any sweeping or raking. So for today:

1) Pay October's bills
2) Go through closet and cull the clothes I absolutely am never going to wear again
3) Clean up kitchen
4) Clean bathrooms
5) Clean litter boxes
6) Reset downstairs
7) Go through Oct. calendar with DH and coordinate some appointments and activities

Have a lovely first day of October, everyone.

·
Registered
895 Posts
First of all hugs to everyone who needs them, which seems to be about all of you.
Pinetree Im sorry for your friend, but please don't feel guilty about it, sadly you can't change it by feeling guilty, it will only make you feel worse. Try to just make the world a bit of a better place in his memory,rather than feeling guilty.
ILC I hope they manage to keep your cats health under control, but he isn't suffering is he?
FW Im sorry about the situation with your son, it must be hard not to have more info. But in this case no news is good news, and in 3 months he ll be home for Christmass.
NIKO Im getting a bit concerned, are you alright?
Sorry if I missed anyone, just consider it like you got a big hug.

I have been working a bit in the house, at work and on the things I still need to do in the apartement. Now I promised my landlord I d be here from 5 till 8 pm to wait for people wanting to rent the place. I d stll appreciate if he d let me know when they should actually come though.

2821 - 2840 of 4061 Posts