Frugal Village Forums banner

2841 - 2860 of 4061 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hikr, hope you won't be too badly affected by the floods, I laughed when I read about your turkey trot, sounds like you had real fun doing it. Agree about the daffies, they really give a lift when you look at them. I'm going to get them in this weekend(need dh to dig). Hope your own is feeling better!

GB sounds like you had a very productive day yesterday, hope you got to finish your book

Pinetree, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, a sudden death is always difficult & you are here because you're supposed to be(((hug))) My own cat always looses weight in the summer & in the winter then he looks like the lovely, can't figure it out!. I am tonight making an Apple & Rose Petal Jelly & some Apple and Clove Jam (guess who has lots of Apples on her trees :D )

SD, sounds like you had a really productive day yesterday. Congrats on getting so much into the freezer :) That micro climate the lake produces must really extend the gardening season for you, 10 degrees is a loads, you lucky duck... Speaking of ducks, ok herons I have 3 in the wee lake near me & when it get flooded in the road they will often walk alongside the car as it kicks up a wake, swans prefer to try and out swim the car! Congrats on loosing weight ;)

ILC I'm bursting your bubble here, house is a new build so not a cottage but we did reuse the stone from the cottage that was here on the old house, so it isn't a modern looking build, Kept the Front door in the same spot, kept the line of the house the same (they had it directly facing south) and kept the windows on the north cottagey looking (south ones are bigger, we calculated U values for passive heating purposes). I am reinstating the old cottage gardens that were here & our wee acre of ground is back to being "farmed" albeit on a tiny scale. On the plus side I do use bright colours, there is nearly always a fire on something baking and definitely and Tea waiting to be made. If your ever passing I'll make you a cuppa :D Glad to read that at least you know now what is wrong with Sophia, hope she has perked up today & sorry to read about your Dad, there are some people in our lives who leave a hole that can't be filled (((hug)))

Ayanka, hopefully you'll find some renters soon!

Hello to everyone else:wave:

Today I'm only checking in, had to travel 2 hours to Cork(and two hours back) to the passport office today & a friend very kindly drove me as my knee isn't up to it, between the jigs and the reels, we got lost had to follow random people around cork (that kindly lead us as far as they could) until we got to the office, talk about a laugh, she was nearly hyperventilating at one stage because we were heading for the tunnel & she can't cope with the tunnel, which meant I was too busy laughing to be of any use! Arrived an hour late for my appointment (BTW we left a half an hour early too!!) but had a lovely woman who processed me so I have to go back down for pick up tomorrow week, looks like another fun day ahead of me!!!

Hope everyone has a great day, I'm off to make dinner and Jam :D

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,842
Thanks everyone, I wasn't really feeling guilty, but it really makes a person think when these things happen, its just real weird.
but Thank you for all you kind comments,

had a tough night, I couldn't lay down, dizzy, lightheaded, kept feeling like I was going to black out.. so put some blankets on the bed and tried sleeping upright, lol that works so good if you wants kinks and a stiff neck and back!! DH thought maybe need more water, since I havent been drinking again, or I have the vertigo back,, great....we took my blood pressure, blood sugar, heart rate, oxygen levels, all were normal... so I'm not doing a thing, maybe nap in the big chair, and sip hot tea....
ILC, I'm sorry about sophia, but at least its something you can treat, hugs

I'll be back later.. take care everyone, and stay dry!!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
well its been quiet because the trees are all down and cleaned up next door. I thought it was tree grinding day but a huge pallet of drywall is heading in. I try not to be nosy but I'm not succeeding this time. This guy ain't playing!

Pinetree-have you had the neck checked for blockages? Dmom has been blocked pretty signifigantly for years. Just thought I would throw that out there-not to scare you but we like ya around and all.

Little dog-seems to be a bit of a lemon! He wrenched his back or something now. He tried to jump on the bed. I so suspect I should xray him and that I would find he has had issues w/ back or joints. He pops when he gets up pretty loudly. I also had a thought that this dog may be much older than they thought?

DH is at his original Dr. after the accident today. He is worried something is wrong w/ the bone in his leg. I wanted to go but had to pick up DD in a few minutes.
Not really getting anything done lately. Need to focus.

Rona-those jams sound very interesting. I am an absolute jam freak and love most of them. Prob. can pass on the hot pepper one though. We have a cider/cinnamon in the fridge right now. Deb-whose not on here now used to make watermelon jelly and jam. Ever had that one? I think ginger or strawberry still win though. Although I made a killer cherry/cinnamon one time w/ cherries from Traverse City (our cherry capital here).
Hugs to all.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Another productive day here. 5,500 steps, the hard way. I don't even know what I all got done so far. I did a bunch of little stuff, mostly making parts for several projects. I also got the salvaged drawers cut down so they'll fit in the refurbed cabinet, so I can stop dreading that. It's not the best job I've ever done, but not the worst either, so can't complain. I have to paint those yet, probably tomorrow.

I cut some of the scraps left from the sewing cabinet remodel/refurb because it occurred to me since the top is not flat, I might need a couple spacers to make planters sit level. Good thing I hadn't tossed those as planned. Still have to get that ready to paint and reglue the tip-out on the front. But it's going to be so cute!

I made the extension we needed for the dog gate across the six foot opening on our big deck. Now they can be outside with us again. Sota took advantage of the opportunity and laid in the sun the whole time I was putting the drawers back together. He's such a sun god.

Last night on Pinterest I was browsing ideas for using pallets, and came across a simple one that turns a pallet into a tool rack, so I dragged out the sawzall today, cut off a section so it wasn't too tall, and threw one up on the wall. I've always hated the chaos between the two garage doors.

I love how this is working out! Clearly, some purging and sorting and rearranging still needs to be done but I can already see how this will be a big improvement and give us more floor space and more storage space, too. I wonder if Husby will notice it when he walks right past it tonight. LOL.

I also cut some 4x4 parts I needed to finally attach the legs of the awning to the deck. It's been a year now since we put the RV awning up over our deck and we haven't been able to use it yet. :sigh: I'll never forget how hard we worked the day before we finished. I kept pushing because I wanted to be sure we got done the next day in time to drive over to Cook and look at the HydroBikes. Husby wasn't very enthused AT ALL about that idea! We already knew what the cost would be if we bought them and he didn't want to part with the money. Neither did I, really, but that was the only way to get them and Cook was the only place to get them, too. I guess that's why we still don't have the awning legs attached, because the goal was to get the awning up on the wall before winter because we had nowhere to store it and the forecast wasn't looking good. The legs weren't that important and we let that part go because of the bikes and got distracted with other things after that. But now I just have to see if we have the right lag screws or buy some if we don't and then it will only take a few minutes to get that all done, I hope. It'll be nice to scratch another UFO off the list and also be able to use the awning next year.

Hugs to everyone who needs one, well, even if you don't. :) I love reading everyone's news and stories, I'm just too tired right now to reply individually.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I love the pallet idea. We just toss ours into an old garbage can. I can really see the potential in the sewing machine cabinet too. WTG!!!

Spoke too soon. Now the guy is grinding stumps next door.
It is starting to look better.Hadnt realized how tired it was looking.

Just got a call from DH. The surgeon says he needs a CT scan to see how deep the infection is. He may need the plate out. DH thinks it will be fine but I swear he said last time it is holding parts together still? Stress. This should make it about impossible to get a new position. The employment service said they want him but have nothing for him yet. Sure glad I been chucking cash into the bank.

DD was mad because I drove her to the bank for the rent. She was giving me this whole crap about getting paid. I told her 1st of the month every month is anticipatable.Last month she was 2 weeks late. Every day she buys food at work so she can eat from home then. Welcome to I'm 25 next weekville. all we ask for is reimbursement for driving her in and the cost of her eating the house food and resources she uses. W/ Dh officially unemployed tomorrow I just have no guilt about it. But I am ticked. This hasnt been a cake year.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Sounds like everyone is getting ready for fall. I know I am ready. Yesterday was our last day of 90s, they say. Been a bit blue today. This is my granddaughter's 5th birthday and the first time that I haven't been with her since she was born. On a better note, my son and grandsons are coming tonight and I made pumpkin sugar cookies and decorated for Halloween. Will finish this weekend. He is taking them to see my mom, but I am scared to ride that far.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Thanks, FW. I cobble together so many bear- and raccoon-damaged feeders it's unbelievable, but usually they look pretty trashy because they're so damaged I can't make them pretty anymore. That's why I'm so happy with this one because IMO it turned out cute. I put up with the trashy ones because I just can't see spending tons to replace them with nice new ones when they're likely to get destroyed again. We can only use our nice feeders in winter.

Forgot to post the before pic of the two feeders:

I also like that they're metal which helps minimize squirrel damage.

We keep our feeders full because we enjoy watching the wildlife so much.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Oh its cuter than before I think. I had cedar last time and never again. Dang squirrel chewed the back off. The side I'm looking at was fine. lol
Prob. should have bought the metal one. It was $14.99 but i am just getting super spending cautious again right now. Got lots of vet bills coming and now medical I imagine. Stopped myself from getting all the Halloween display stuff too until I get more news on the situation jobwise.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Cutting out the little luxuries seems prudent till you know more about the job situation. I'd be doing the same.

I liked the hummingbird feeders too. I think the raccoons got both of them because the bears would have completely trashed them. They ripped the bottoms out of them and then the bottles wouldn't seal anymore, and the plastic bases were broken.

Plastic feeders suck. They're really too easy to chew up. I keep repairing those, too. I can't win with all metal either though because bears just bend the heck out of them. We're better off with metal ones they can open than the raccoon-proof ones that lock, because the bears don't care if they're locked or not with all those built-in can openers on their paws. Considering they can rip a door right off a car, what do they care about a little lock on a thin metal feeder? I buy plastic feeders cheap at rummage sales so it's less painful when they get ruined.

I'd have slapped a new back on the cedar feeder you had! LOL. Like I said, not pretty, but functional. The 'pets' don't care what the feeders look like, only that they have something and somewhere to eat!

I found a cute wooden feeder in the garage today that's actually in good shape. Not sure how that happened.

I'm excited to think about making some nice feeders, after I deplete the supply of old and crappy ones around here a little. I bought a little scroll saw at the storage unit sale this summer and I think it'll be fun to use to make stuff like that.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Fortunately,bears are not a concern for us. Raccoons,squirrels,like that.
The reason I tossed the feeder is the mess. The kids were less than 5 and the poopy and filthy feathers were irritating w/ toddlers. Also this female woodchuck just kept getting bolder and bolder like the feeder was proof I was friendly-not. So when the squirrel chewed it was the last straw. I bent the pole and chucked it under the deck/whipped the feeder out. Not a super bird fan per se.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
fw, my DD is full of "I'm 23 and an adult" but she is so irresponsible. Stick to your guns with your girl. Hope your DH is doing better soon and that finances won't take a huge hit. Until you know just try to buy the necessities.

SD, those feeders are really attractive, and I love the pallet idea.

Gbug, I hope seeing the grandboys will perk you up. So sorry you're blue today.

Ayanka, hopefully everyone showed up to view the apartment and one of them fell in love with it. You must be so ready to be rid of it.

Rona, it sounds as though you're sort of restoring your home and yard. It sounds charming and delightful, and please, when can I visit??????

pinetree, oh that vertigo! I dread having an attack. No one can understand it who hasn't experienced it. Please just relax and chill and feel better soon.

Everyone else, hi, and let us hear from you soon.

Yesterday DH found an ad in the paper about a store he likes having a big sale so off we went. It sells irregulars, etc., for cheap so we ended up spending $45 and he got 3 items and I got 5. Just long-sleeved T shirts for him and a pair of Lee jeans and a few sweatshirts and winter tops for me-----around- the- house kind of clothes but we needed them. I'm pleased with the jeans---I bought a "short" size and I don't have to hem them! Most pants on me are too long, but petite sizes are too short. I'm strange, I know....Then we spent some time looking at insurance options for coming-up Open Enrollment, and the day was gone. I did get the bills paid.

For Friday (another rainy day):

1) Laundry
2) Change sheets
3) Change litter boxes
4) Revise menus since DS won't be here this weekend
5) Go through closet
6) General pickup

Have a good Friday, ladies.

·
Registered
895 Posts
FW: I really hope your daughter gets a more adult way of looking at life soon, because she sounds worse than my sis. My sis is 22 and does not have a stable job, though not for lack of trying. If I hear your stories I really wish I could have a chat with her and talk some sense into her. Please note I am 27, so Im only 2,5 years older than her. Maybe for reference purposes, so she can understand how lucky she actually is the deal I had at that age with my parents. Rent was 400 EUR, which was about 500 USD back then. Rent included staying in the house, utilities and basic meals. Any snacks, anything special food wise had to be bought. Anything I took to work I paid for. Car was on me (though it was the old car of family members so I didn't have to pay for the car) and insurance was 150 EUR a month. Partially because I caused an accident, but merely because I had to keep that insurance. Chores obviously had to be done, though because I was working 12 hour shifts, I couldn't do much more than the dishes. And don't get me wrong, it was a fair deal. I am the oldest of three and my parents genuinely needed the money to keep the family in good financial health. And I am not trying to say you are a bad mum or anything like that, just maybe this will make her realise she needs to grow up a little. And big hugs, I don't follow the whole job situation 100%, but I really hope he finds something else soon.

To do for today:
1. Call the guy for the boiler.
2. Sit here for 3 hours to see if anyone shows up.
3. Go to the gas station and fill up the tank.

Not the most ambitious plans, but as Im stuck here for the next 3 hours and I can't make a mess I don't really have much options.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
thanks so much Ayanka. Her expectations are skewed to me. When I was her age I had had a house,been married a year and had been paying my own way for years. She has made leaps and bounds but sometimes acts like a donkey about things.
hmm-Dh lost his direct hire job (of 8 yrs.) back in Feb. of this year. He was on a contract at the subsequent job until December but they never got it together at Amer. Express so the contract house has no work and today is his last day instead of Dec.-surprise!. The contract house wants him but has no work. Again he has his resume in at several contract houses (slang=head hunters).

My internet/cable/phone is fritzing again today. I have lost 2 calls to Dmom. She seems better.

That pathetic dog-hurt himself again last night trying to jump up on the bed. I need to make doggie stairs. He is so sweet but he definately cannot be named lucky. sheesh.

I was bad. I dropped DD at work. Shopped at Kroger for the bare minimum. Then went to 3 garage sales. Only bought a giant excercise ball for $2. for the dogs. Made Mikey very happy. Later the other library is having a sale. I will make a small limit and go over. I also rented 2 movies ($3.) for a "date night" tonight and am making dinner either roast or spaghetti. We shouldnt go out tonight. Pulling in again. So small bad not crazy spendy.

ILC-I will. I have discovered indiffence.lol Like so sorry to hear that however,blah to the blah blah. That and welcome to 25. Your ins. costs go down and so does your metabolism. Like this morning she chucked all her stuff in the washer and went to work. Clogging it up for the day. So I told her i needed to use it today. She says but I Need it for the weekend,its the last day for the Renaissance Festival. So I said when I take it out where do you want it. MIFFED. Too bad. I would have thanked me for drying it?? I suppose I was just supposed to hang it too or fold it. I keep telling her she is naturally selfish and needs to be more aware of others.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Dont see my other post so...
Ds Fb'd me and his friend has just saved a dog that looks so much like the foster we have except he's a pup when mines old,I think over the 3-5 yrs. they said the way he pops and clicks when he gets up?? Too freaky. Dont know if the friend is in this state.

AHHHH! I have to admit things next door look nice. I have who moved my cheese disease! He is clearing the back brush. That should look better.

ILC-Wtg. Never have good luck w/ seconds. Prob. because my body is a "second" these days. Gravity-who knew!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pinetree Hope your feeling better today :)

FW how's your dh doing? When will he get a ct scan? Those Jam's sound amazing, I haven't really explored much further than variants of Apple, or marmalades using oranges or lemons with carrot being my most different. I would love a recipe or two of your tried and trusted if you have them??? When you have time! I think you are doing your dd a huge favour by getting her to pay her way, she just mightn't get that yet(((hug))) I am dealing with my first teenager, ds is 16 and I am amazed at how me central their view of the world is. It will change won't it??? (psst don't tell anyone but I think I was like that too as a kid lol)

SD love the pics, great minds think alike I told dh that I want a pallet for the shed for that very reason :) I'm also thinking of doing a show board on the wall, as the rest of the family is appalling at putting things back & that might help. There is something very peaceful about watching a dog sunbathe the only other thing that comes close for me is a contented cow curled up on the grass chewing the cud.

GB sorry to read that you were missing your granddaughter, but hope you have a ball with your boys :)

ILC Thanks, I do love my home & BTW Doors always open, the kettles always on & visitors are very welcome :D Well done on the clothes buys, sounds like you got some real bargains:vs_closedeyes:

Ayanka, Hope your 3 hours goes quickly!

Today was another busy one, dropped my Da back to pick up his car from the garage, did some shopping for a friend, did 2 school runs today & picked up extra kids and dropped them home. Walked the dogs & helped round up the neighbours cattle that had escaped (Thank god these were fine, the last batch he had were half wild and would go through hedges on you).
Now I'm going to do the dinner and Jam (didn't get to yesterday as I had visitors).

Hope everyone has a lovely productive day :)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
ILC--I love shopping trips like that.
Ayanka--You will be better for the way you were raised. I know it doesn't seem so at the time.
Frugalwarrior--Hang in there. I dealt with my three kids moving in and out. My eldest was the hardest, but with a lot of prayer he got married in April and is doing well. It hurts to see your kids suffer, but you and your husband have worked hard and it's your time now. Take the laundry out and do yours and then return it or not. She'll get the message.

Hope the rest of you have a great day. I sent my son and grandsons on their way to visit my mom in Oklahoma this morning. I just was too afraid to travel that far with my puncture on Monday. Mending a shirt and a pair of shorts today. DS helped pick more pears last night so I will be making more cinnamon cranberry pear jam later. Gotta get my script done for my class tomorrow. Hope to get everything done so I can sit outside by the fire tonight.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
When I was 25 I had already been through the sudden death of a parent, been married seven years, had bought two houses, had adopted two special needs kids from Korea and was working on the third one from Brazil, and had moved to another state from where I grew up. Our first adoption worker described us to her co-workers as 23 going on 40 when they questioned why she placed older kids with us. Stick to your guns, FW. She has to grow up sometime.

Rona, I would have never thought of using a pallet for a tool rack in a million years. But I love it!

ILC, great buys!

I finally defrosted the big upright today. Holy moly, what a mess! I knew it was bad but I didn't realize it was that bad. I bet I threw twenty pounds of frost out of that thing. And of course the mess was all over the floor from melting frost I chipped out of it and all the food was also frosty, so wherever that got set down was all wet, too. It took me over three hours to get it all done and the mess cleaned up. But it looks great now, I have more space, things are organized, and I have room set aside for dog food, Husby's lunches, and my WW stuff. So I'm happy. We should have enough meat to last most of the winter, too, tons of BSCB which is good, loads of beef and ground turkey, plus a couple fatties and a whole turkey. Husby about fell over when he opened the door after work. He wasn't expecting to see an organized space and being able to actually see the shelves with no frost on them.

I spent the afternoon going through the dozens of Workbasket magazines I got at the estate sale a couple weeks ago. Man, clothes were ugly in the 1970s! But I found a nice little stack of tatting patterns and another little stack of assorted other patterns.

We got two statements from the insurance today, for my two surgeries. The portion we owe has now dropped from $7,000 to $240. That's a huge relief! Apparently I don't even owe anything for my annual deductible, because I guess I met the minimum somewhere between the time they told me I'd have to pay that and now. I think we can breathe again.

2841 - 2860 of 4061 Posts