Frugal Village Forums banner

2901 - 2920 of 4061 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
I know migraines can have lots of causes, and yes, I know you have plenty of potential causes. Hope the yoga helps. I was reading about that today, too. LOL. Tons of info in the new WW magazine today.

ILC, Jack used to kill little pencil-sized snakes. It always made me feel so bad. They're so cute and don't hurt anyone. Snakes might bother me more if we had poisonous ones here.

Husby had some back and forth with an eBay seller and finally decided the power supply he found for the 'new' flat screen monitor we bought Saturday was the right one, so I just ordered that. It was just under $10 so I hope it's the right thing and the monitor works. I'll be tickled if it does. I really hate the old monitors after using the flat screens on my laptops for so many years, but I wouldn't spend a lot on a new one because the old one works fine yet. It's a different story if I can get it for practically nothing. I'm disappointed in us that neither of us thought about the power supply. Maybe it was sitting there somewhere and we missed it. I don't recall seeing it on the shelf though. Too late anyway. If it works it should be worth $10 and if it doesn't, we've lost more money on things lately. We don't spend anything on gambling any other way, so can't complain.

·
Registered
671 Posts
FW yay for insurance approval!! So glad he got that done although what a pain about driving 30 miles to a different machine. Hope they process the results quickly so you can see what's going on and any potential next steps coming up. That's also good news about things moving forward on the job front. Third interview means they are really interested! Here's hoping. The house next door must be looking really good. Sounds like they are really serious about cleaning it up. That's awesome! How is the migraine today?

SD I've never developed a knack for getting the apple pie recipe down to a single serving. I tried making turnovers thinking that would do it but no, the ratio was wrong. The problem is I'd never (before yesterday) measured anything out and I went by how the cinnamon and sugar looked lying on the apple slices. Sounds nuts I know but it's what works. It doesn't look the same lying on a smaller piece of dough. But anyway, this is why I make one apple pie each fall and that's it until the holiday when there are a bunch of people here to eat the entire pie and we aren't left with any. He's already had his piece and the other slices were already wrapped and frozen last night once it cooled down. Don't worry, I'm on it :)

I'll run the recipe through the builder on the crisp. I like apple crisp now and then. I was telling DH what the kicker is on the pie is the carbs, not the sugar. The crisp doesn't have the crust but it does have the oatmeal and flour etc. But I don't bake a lot of sweets though unless DGD1 comes over. She and I always bake together but she always takes it home with her. LOL! That satisfies my urge to bake but doesn't muck up my diet and DHs diet and diabetes.

One of my fondest memories with DD growing up is all the cooking we did together. The thing about it was she got pretty good at fractions from figuring out the cups etc and following directions but also the conversations it generated. Sometimes with kids it's easier to have a tough conversation when you're not sitting there staring into each others eyes but when you're doing something else the conversation flowed freely. Now maybe that was just my DD and I and it's not an across the board observation but our best conversations about deep subjects were over the kitchen island while we cooked or when we were in the car together.

OK, I am off reminiscing now. LOL.

ILC yes, pull out that passport and get that baby renewed! Wouldn't that be an awesome trip?? That's great you got to head over to Atlanta and see your DS. Our cats have always been inside cats so no rodents or snakes to catch but there was one time that a mouse got into the basement when we moved some wood in. I had fallen asleep in the living room and woke up to hear the cat playing. Lots of thumps and bumps. I wondered what on earth he was doing as I could see by the moonlight he was jumping around. I snap on my cell phone and by that little light I could see it was a mouse. I THOUGHT it was his little toy mouse as those things did look real but then I realized this one had legs. I nearly passed out. I ran to the stairs and yelled for DH to come down as the cat had a mouse. DHs response?? "what did you want me to do about it". I was aghast and yelled back "I want you to take it's picture with me!! What do you THINK I want you to do?" Good heavens. So I had to watch the cat and make sure he didn't run off with this live mouse and let it go anywhere. DH finally drags himself downstairs and wrestles it away from the cat and takes it outside and put it under a bush so no birds grabbed it while it was recovering from the shock. This is what I prefer to believe...in reality it was probably dead and DH was trying to spare my feelings. I may not like them but I don't want them to be killed especially by my pet. The cat strutted around for a few days very proud of himself although I think he was bummed DH took his toy away.

Craft night was awesome. I got the strips all sewn into the four blocks I need to make the first centerpiece thing. I debated sewing them together to make the whole thing but by then it was about the time I usually leave so I pinned the stuff I needed for next time to make more triangles and headed home. But I was pleased I made that much progress. I have to make 7 total. I could get away with 6 as that's all I need for gifts. But I really want the 7th for me :)

Not sure about today yet. We should be doing more packing. But it's going to be low 70's and sunny and I'm thinking instead a trip to the Maine Wildlife Park and then visiting one of the state parks that is near the park and getting another stamp for our passport sounds like a much better idea. We could still do packing in the afternoon once we got home. We have leftovers for supper so I don't have to spend much time cooking and I can devote my time to packing.

Ayanka how's the apartment situation going?

GB good luck with appt today. Hope they have some answers.

Rona thanks for the recipes! I saw them pop up in the village :)

Hi to everyone else!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Oh all these critter stories are making me laugh. DGreta my late german Shepherd dropped a frozen rabbit head at DD's feet once and she called me freaking out. I guess Ds, younger but less emotional, got my kitchen tongs and picked it up and took it outside. I said the tongs can go w/ it because they were cheap and old anyway. And i also said what do you want me to do I am at work.
She was alway one to play w/ snakes. One time she tossed one up in the air just as I was headed over that way. I DO have rattlers here and was none too pleased. Hard to judge what kind of snake it was in the air!!

SD-you have no Mississaugua (oh spelled so very wrong!)?

Hikr-no they have passed the point of my happiness. We are below them and all the grass is gone. Spring should be a mudslide. They fixed the porch post but did it so industrial it isnt attractive. BUT I have no say.
Glad to be leaving because another day of all this noise I can do w/o.

Hugs to all. Gotta go.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,904 ·
Hi everyone I'm back!! Woke up this morning feeling great!! Yippee!

Theres no way I can catch up, but I read everyones posts!!

OM, I'm sorry, my baby's (he will be 35!) birthday is sunday, so Paige is close!! Hugs..

ILC, Thanks!

FW, hang in there, you have a bunch on your plate, hope you puppy does ok.Hugs

Hikr, sounds like you are really busy too! Hey, I have an apple pie recipe you might like, My Dad was a diabetic and ate apple pie with no sugar, I love it and its pretty easy, you still have to deal with the crust nowdays.

Ayanka, Did anyone take your apt.?

Rona, you jelly sounds wonderful!

GM, sending up prayers for you.

RABBIT, HI!! OPEN YOUR WINDOW, JUST WANTED TO SAY I MISS YOU!!!

JEN, Niko, hoping you are all OK.

SD, You are so funny, I love reading your posts! Seems you are always into something!! You make me feel like I am right there!!

Since we are on animal stories,
cheeta, use to bring mice into the bed, she would wait until you were alseep

Keeta, would bring in night crawlers and worms and put them under throw rugs.

Tasha, DS learned real fast NOT to leave his pants on the floor, she use to bring in snakes and put them in his jeans. Got him twice!

Sweet pea brings in caterpillers or tomato worms

Felix catches birds, mice, chases the cotton tails.

TJ, brings you dragon flies and hummingbird moths.

BB use to bring stray cats to live here

Funny how they try and impress you!

Today
vacuum, alittle
help fix dinner
do some laundry

Trying to go slow and not over due it today.

Have a Wonderful day!!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,905 ·
FW, How your head? I have found that chocolate and lack of sleep and being hungry will cause my migraines, plus other times when I can't figure them out!! Hope you are feeling better!!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Lumbar puncture showed no excessive spinal fluid or leak, which is good, but they still don't know what is causing the pressure. The dr. put me on meds and I have to go back next week. I'm up to 15 tests with this deal not counting all the ones I had when I had my stroke. Got my laundry almost done and making oatmeal cranberry bars for DH. Think tonight will be BLT's for dinner. I love the critter stories, too. My neighbor takes all our chicken bones down to the creek and leaves them for the wild animals. At least they aren't coming up to the house. We have bunnies, birds, frogs, butterflies, and skunks. I have two dogs, a black lab and a rescue dog that is a boxer mix. I also have a cat that is useless when it comes to catching mice. I also have chickens and tropical fish. i think it is time for a nap since I left at 5 this morning.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well he had about 10 visitors today, so I hope one of them wants to have it. And apparently the plumber was going to have a look at the eletrical boiler, so that should not be my concern anymore. Which means I only have to do the visitation, not more letting people in for check ups woohoo. Especially as this is the kind of work that takes 15 mins and costs a ton.

Sorry for not being online that much, but I try to work as much in the house as possible, and it doesn't have internet yet. No worries though, the internet guy is coming Tuesday. I just hope they are willing to install it on the dodgy electrics I currently have.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
Hikr, I didn't realize you could freeze apple pie after it was baked. I'm not a big fan, so have never thought much about it. Glad you're keeping the servings under control! I know what you mean about the recipe not looking right when it's been reduced. The apple crisp and other stuff I make in small versions never look right, and sometimes they're not quite right the first time or first few times around. Although Husby has never failed to eat the experiments! :D But I write the recipes down even for stuff I've never used a recipe for, because otherwise I do things wrong because of things not looking right.

Ayanka, I figured you were pretty busy with the house. I can't wait to see what you've gotten done! I bet it's like a new place. I hope you can find a renter soon.

FW, I don't know what a Mississaugua is, so I don't think I have one. :)

Pinetree, thanks. You're not the first person to tell me I write so readers feel like they're right there. :) Too funny about the cat stashing snakes in pants left on the floor!

GB, sure hope the docs can figure out the problem. How frustrating to be having all those tests with no real results.

I've concluded since I can procrastinate and waste time so effectively when I'm supposed to be writing, I'm going to have to go by word count instead of time. Today I wrote 1,000 words which took about three hours, but also in that time, I tested and rejected a different computer mouse which killed a lot of time because it was hard to get at the connections, filled all the bird and squirrel feeders, checked the mouse traps three times, lit the furnace, hooked up one of my printers and then decided I didn't like the way it was hooked up so redid it, went back to the house to search for just the right extension cord for my microwave, made some plastic thingies to hold the extension cord up off the floor, moved a shelf unit to install the extension cord, went and found a couple of storage things to try in the fridge and freezer out there, reset the microwave, called Husby to tell him we needed bottled water since our well water is black again, read through an old partial from my current WIP (Work In Progress) and decided to use it in the new revision (which I'm proud to say I did not include in my word count), sorted through my carry bags to find just the right one, tested out at least a dozen pens to put in the carry bag, searched for and found the right folder to put my partial in inside the carry bag, measured to see if my antique sewing machine cabinet would fit next to the door in my office, measured a wooden bread box to see if it would fit on the sewing machine cabinet, rearranged some stuff on my desk, experimented with the fabric for my office chair cover and came up with a plan to make the cover, accidentally tripped and reset the mouse trap by my desk at least six times since I kept stepping on it, messed around with the settings that have worked for at least ten years in my Word program in an attempt to 'improve' them, and decluttered my printer. When I had most of that stuff done was when I concluded I needed to switch from timed writing time to a word count. I bet I'll find a lot less stuff I 'have to' do from this point forward! LOL. A thousand words might not sound like much, but some days ten words is a struggle, so 1K is going to be my daily goal for now and I'm looking forward to it.

Other ta-dones include a batch of WW black bean soup for the freezer and washing a rack of plastic ware. Not a lot but I'm taking it easy today. I got more sleep last night which helped a lot. At least I don't feel like I'm walking around in a fog today.

Husby Eternabonded the gutters yesterday. I hope that stops all the leaks. The forecast is for 100% chance of rain tonight so maybe we'll find out. It's sunny now though. We're having a mild fall but of course that can change in a heartbeat here.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,909 ·
GM, I hope they find out what is causing your problems soon, its sad its hurry up and wait!

Ayanka, good to hear your voice! I can't wait to see what you have gotten done too! I bet you are tired and excited!! Now, if someone would rent that apt!!

FW, sent up a prayer for your DH, and your stress... man I feel for you. Hugs

SD, hey seeing you are making soups, anything salt free with good flavor?? Oh, what the heck, anything I can eat?? I am finding more and more salt in everything, I wish they would quit putting it in everything!!

Finding the snakes wasnt that funny! I am scared to death of them, the poor kid just grabbed it and put it outside! The worms arent funny either, most of them got squashed and had to be sctaped off!!
DH is really good getting rid of things he doesnt want me to freak out about, so I'm sure theres more horror stories, like felix getting my black squirrel...sob..

Got all my list done, yea, 2 loads of laundry done...

ILC, how to you fix the butter beans? Canned or dried?

I'm off to google

Hi to everyone!!! wave!!

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
Let's see, today's soup had turkey sausage in it. Tasty, but I'm sure salty. The rest of it was good for you though, black beans, HM saltless broth, onion, garlic, cilantro, peppers, I think that was all. You could sub ground turkey and put in your own salt-free sausage spices. I used canned beans but you could pressure-cook your own. They are rinsed and drained though, so that should have drastically cut the salt.

Finding the snakes was funny because they weren't in MY pants! LOL.

I'm exploring a new hobby, punchneedle embroidery. It's a form of embroidery, but it's like rug hooking only tiny. I got a punchneedle tool in one of the boxes of stuff we got at that estate sale a few weeks ago, plus a huge box of threads for it. It also can be done with six-strand embroidery floss which we have tons of, and other threads like tatting thread. So we'll be able to start a new hobby without spending much money because we already have most of what we need, and what we don't have isn't very expensive. And the best part, it will take almost no space to store the tools for it because they're small and we don't need many, so we won't add to the clutter around here. I suspect Husby will like doing this too because he likes counted cross stitch and this will be quicker and easier. I got a couple books through ILL today and it looks very interesting and fun.

All this talk of critters dragging in critters must have made the thought into reality because Jack dragged in a dead mouse and left it on the rug by the kitchen sink for me this afternoon. I knew something was up because like usual, he had to announce it, and of course then Chester had to go running to see who Jack had killed. Luckily (or unluckily) Sota had apparently not gotten the memo about the new code, because he missed the announcement. Otherwise, he'd have slurped the corpse down before I had a chance to throw it out. So now the nice clean rug I had just put down is a bloody mess. Of course! I've always been real happy our cats have never put their victims anywhere but on the floor. The dogs are another story, like the time a few years ago we came home and found feathers all over the bedroom including on the bed, where Sugar had brought in the ruffed grouse she had killed and, apparently eaten the entire thing while lounging on our pillows, scattering feathers to the four corners with wild abandon. :sigh: The down side of having a dog door that allows us the freedom to be gone all day and not worry about the dogs being able to go outside when they need to.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
Here's the recipe for the WW soup described above. I remove the sausage from the casings and crumble the meat instead of cooking it and then slicing it. I used hot sausage today and I really liked that. If you wanted to heat up plain ground turkey, you could add 1/2 t. of red pepper flakes or to taste after the turkey is browned, and stir and cook it with the meat for a minute or two.

I didn't use jalapenos today because I didn't have any, but I did add some peppers we grew this year. I'm not sure what kind they were, probably pepperoncinis. I've also used diced green or red bell peppers, and I usually use a can of diced green chilies if I don't have jalapenos, but didn't today because I don't think I have those either and with the red pepper in the sausage, I didn't really need it. I do like using some kind of red pepper diced up in it just because it looks pretty. This soup is all brown with the meat and black beans, so it needs some red and green to give it some visual interest. Of course, if you want a milder flavor you don't have to add any peppers or pepper flakes.

Weight Watchers - Hearty Black Bean And Sausage Soup Recipe on WeGottaEat

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
yes and more votes for indoor cats!!
Was so busy at the rescue today as the morning volunteer flaked. So double time in the afternoon. Mopping I skipped in case anyone came in but no one ended up doing. I was very pelased to see Sparky go hom ew/ his very own boy. He showed very poorly in the kennel as a big barker. I love that people veiw these pets and fall in love before they even see them
We are getting 3 new kitten litters soon. I have a feeling they may be from the local hoarder who had 84 cats and 7 dogs!! But I really dont know. Kinda late influx for kitten season but everything nature seems a month late this year. All I know is thats a stressful dump.

Dinner is lunchmeat because I am wiped. Dh is pretty tolerant.
He spent the day yakking w/ recruiters and filling out apps.
So very little housework done.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
We tried to keep ours in but it was either keep them in and be without a dog door, or figure out a way for them to be relatively safe when they're outside. The compromise is the creation of the cat enclosure. So far, it's working out.

A local pet hoarder just got nailed here in town. She could be facing eleven years in jail for animal neglect/abuse. Her house is so bad it's going to be bulldozed because there's no cleaning it. I can't even imagine what that's going to smell like in that neighborhood the day that happens. I don't understand and I never will, how people can let things get that bad and still be living in such a disgusting, stinky mess. I know it's a mental illness but I still don't understand it.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
cant say i do either Sd, Apparently these animals were in good shape but yes the house is trashed. The only thing I can think is that people mean well and let things get away from them over time but still there are so many free or super cheap spay/neuter clinics. This was a man and woman which to me is even stranger. The other odd thing is that that is near my first house and its not isolated. We moved because the houses are a driveway apart. So how long was this going on?

Have a hw test appt. w/ Mikey and would like to go to the farm market and get those gourds as well as some veg. Dd has it off and I'd love to finish the cats getting shots. I stil have the 2 hiders to catch.
to do
dishes,laundry,vaccumn as usual.

·
Registered
671 Posts
FW how's the migraine?? I hope you're improving. Any word on DHs test results? I missed that the neighbors had removed the grass completely!! ACK! I thought they'd just mowed it. Oh man, you are right about spring and the mud that will bring.

The story about the frozen rabbit remain DGreta brought to your DD is hysterical. I would have been hysterical had a pet dropped a frozen head at my feet though!! LOL! When I was growing up we had a dog that was part collie (Lassie we named her. We were very original. LOL). Anyway, Lassie would go out cruising the woods and take something down (or find something already dead) and bring it home and lay it under the living room window. That way when my Mom opened the curtains in the morning she was presented with a corpse. Poor Mom. And Mom used to say she couldn't yell or holler at Lassie because she was so proud to bring us this gift. Mom would go out with a shovel and praise Lassie for her work then send her inside to bask in her glory while poor Mom scooped up the remains and hauled them back out the woods. hahaha.

Pinetree yay! Glad you're back!! Yes, I'd love your apple pie recipe. Sounds great! Thank you :)

GB that is disappointing to still have no answers. I hope maybe the new meds will make a difference. Our DD and our niece have black labs. They can't say enough about how great of a family dog they are. We had to put our Great Dane down last September due to a brain tumor. She was 8 so "elderly" in Dane years and the vet recommended we let her go. We go back and forth on getting another dog. I miss her companionship dreadfully. But now that it's been a year and I've adjusted somewhat I do like the freedom that being dog less brings. We like to do impromptu road trips and when we had her we had to make sure we got back in time to take her out etc. She wasn't one who loved traveling so bringing her in most cases wasn't an option. So I don't know...right now we are leaning at no dogs. But this could change at any time.

Ayanka crossing my fingers one of them takes it. Hoping this is over for you soon. And looking forward to you getting internet back on Tuesday. :)

SD yes, you can freeze apple pie once it's baked. Let it cool completely then wrap up the slices (or the whole pie) really well and freeze. Now it's not quite as good from the freezer as it is fresh from the oven but it's still pretty good. And freezing it in slices removes the risk of cutting bigger slice then you need etc. Thank you for the crisp recipe. I ran it through the builder and it clocks in at 594 calories (if it's one serving. I ran it using 200 grams of apples which supposedly equals two small apples). My pie is no better at 543 per serving though! The carbs are bad..94 for the crisp? That seems high considering the pie has crust and that came in at 69? But at 69 the pie isn't awesome either. It's 24 fat vs 30 fat between the crisp and the pie so the crisp wins there easy! I do love apple crisp (especially with vanilla ice cream. hahaha). My DH would eat the crisp as one serving too like yours. If you split it in two it is more reasonable. Thank you for the recipe though, I will try it (without the vanilla ice cream. hahaha)

I laughed over your procrastination skills. Yeah, I'm familiar with those. I am like that also. The deer are outside right now. I see them in the field in front of the house. They were here last night to when we came home. There are four adults and one young one.

Punchneedle will be fun! I've seen that around but haven't tried it.

Hi Bernice, ILC, Niko, Rabbit and Rona! (and anyone I missed)

DH and I wound up deciding yesterday to take the day off and do a little road trip. We went to three state parks and got the stamps in our passports for those. We're about halfway done now! The thing that I'm really loving about this passport book is it's taking us to parks we have never visited. We have a lot of state parks in Maine and we tend to frequent the same ones over and over again and this is broadening our horizons a bit which is always a good thing. We finished up at the last one around 5:30 and we were over an hour from home so we wound up eating dinner out. Got home and went to bed early. Being outside in the sun and breeze all day plus the driving tires me out.

Today the grands are coming this afternoon and I think my best friend will come by with her Mom. Her Mom has Alzheimer's and she's been hoping to find something to spark her interest and engage her. We talked about play doh as a possible thing for her to do and that maybe if she made it with her from scratch then let her mold it etc she'd be intrigued. She also loves to watch kids so this way we'll have the kids here and we can all make play doh and work with it together and see how it goes. So that'll be fun. I have craft night tonight. This morning will just be more of the same...packing...blah.

Hope you all have a good day!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
FW2--Hope to get gourds, too. I love to decorate my porch for Halloween and fall. Slowly working on it.
Hike-Wished I could set out on trips like that. It sounds like so much fun. My DH is not retired, yet, so we don't get to take advantage of trips during the week.

I can plan what I want to accomplish each day, but my head really dictates what is actually done. I am going to try to take cans to recycle place and then hit a few bargains at Walmart, CVS, and Target with the money I get from cans. Got some good deals with coupons. I usually donate these items to a local single mothers group. Hope DH takes me to the grocery store tonight so I can get the bargains. Other than that, not much here today.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Not much going on here either. DH has gone to help a friend clean up/repair a rental property. The friend's wife is my best friend and normally I would go too and spend time with her but she's out of town so today I'm at home alone--a great chance to catch up on some things.

For Thursday:

1) Catch up on Bible study homework
2) Catch up on some laundry, mainly pet bedding
3) Clean out fridge
4) Work in DS's room moving some stuff out we've stored in there
5) More leaf-sweeping outside

Have a great day, ladies.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,918 ·
morning, hope you are all doing well.

SD, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I have been so hungry for soup, DH found a low sodium chicken noodle, but I can only have 1/2 cup, so I really have to make my soup from scratch! This is what I get for not having some in the freezer!!

ILC, enjoy your alone time!! try and relax too!! SIt in the beautiful sunshine with a piece of chocolate and a Cold coke!!

FW, aww love kittens! Hows your DH doing? Hope you have a more peaceful day, Hugs..

GM, hope you are doing better today, and whatever you have just goes away!!

OM, thinking about you, are you OK? Hugs

Rona, ok, send me some energy, please...

Ayanka, Man, one of those people have to take it!! You need to move into your new home!! Sure hope you are having fun fixing it up!

Hikr, Yippee, DH found the herb ox sodium free chicken bouillion!! He got it at safeway. The only thing is the ingredients says the 2nd one is potassium, which I have to watch, so I dont know if I can have it. Going to tick me off if I cant!! Will find the recipe, for the life of me , its no where to be found!! Probably right in front of me!

Have fun on your trips, I'm jealous, Too bad you can't post pictures!! hint hint!

Hi to the rest of you, I'm thinking about you!

My Best friend is SO funny, she emailed me screaming for help that her bathroom smelled like sewer and there was nothing dead in there, HELP, or she was going to have to call a plumber!! This has been going on for 2 weeks now!! Told her to dump water down the drains in the basement and do..da.. no more smell....she had a plumber out 3 weeks ago that smelled it and told her to clean her drains!

Well, woke up this morning and couldn't get out of bed, lightheaded and sooo dizzy, took all my junk again, ( blood pressure etc. ) everything normal, so it has to be my blood pressure meds, or my veritgo is coming back full force, calling later to see if I can get into my new Dr. soon. But up now and doing aliitle better,

Todays list
call for dr. appt

thats about it, I'm taking it easy again today!! man I get so far behind, I get caught up alittle then have to start al over again!

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
FW, the house in town that's going to be razed is also in a neighborhood and close to other houses. You'd think it would stink all the time. Maybe that's how this woman got found out and turned in. I can't imagine what that would be like, to be locked out of your own house and not allowed to even salvage anything, even if any of it could be salvaged. This woman has been beside herself on the news and I can see why. She's obviously not right to begin with or she wouldn't have let the house get like that, and then to lose everything on top of it cannot be good for her mental health. I think it's been rough on the city council, too. It can't be easy to throw someone out of their house and then destroy it. The city also has to pay for that and I think that's wrong. It should be the homeowner's expense, not the taxpayers', if they let things get so bad their house has to be condemned as a public health hazard. Plus of course she's suing the city over it all. I wonder who gets the fun job of actually having to tear that disgusting, reeking place down, and where are they going to haul all that crap after it's torn down? They said on the news the demolition will cost something like $40K.

Hikr, I was nice and didn't post the recipe for the #5 oatmeal carmelitas or the mini Bundt Tortuga rum cakes! They'd make the apple crisp look like diet food! The Tortuga rum cake is so rich, two bites is a serving in this house, and I rarely make them. Totally evil stuff. There's a lot of butter in the apple crisp which doesn't help it any. I was looking at that when I posted the recipe and I'm wondering if it would be enough to use 1 T. instead of 2. It might make the streusel too dry to cut it down much though.

Pinetree, canned soup is horrible for salt, and so is broth as you know. I like HM broth so much better, now that I'm in the habit of making it myself. I bet you could use lots of different veggies soup recipes and not get too much sodium. Make a chicken noodle soup with lots of veggies and freeze it in single servings. I like to make it using a bag of frozen mixed veggies, cubed raw or cooked chicken breast, some basil and maybe a little rosemary, noodles, and then simmer it all in HM broth till the noodles are al dente. Add the noodles toward the end of cooking, of course, she they don't overcook. Have you ever made spaetzle? It's easier than making other pastas and less work, and you can control the sodium if you make it yourself. There are lots of different recipes so you can pick and choose if you want a recipe without certain ingredients, or a whole wheat recipe. I haven't found a recipe I'm completely satisfied with yet, so don't have one to share.

I'm not getting much done today, but I did get the salvaged drawer hardware installed in the back porch cabinet, so that can be installed now. I put the first coat of paint on the drawers, too. That's about it for today. Still so tired, but better.

No more mice in the traps in my office, so I hope we've solved the problem. I won't believe it till a month or so has passed though. It's still too early to tell for sure.

2901 - 2920 of 4061 Posts