Frugal Village Forums banner
2941 - 2960 of 4061 Posts

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Todays one of those days I just want to crawl back in bed and cry.

Still alive girls. Just checking in.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,943 ·
OMG Niko, are you OK? I'm praying it isnt your DH, and it isnt the bank of Hell after you again. Thank you So much for checking in, I was really getting worried.

Please take care, we are all here if you need us,, Hugs...

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
pinetree-someone was a midlife baby! No=DH test. He has to go in for the results.
DD had a nice party her boyfriend threw her and he gave her a ring w/ 2 rubies. She had been looking at for sometime. She is so a product of me. She's like " and it was on sale!!". So frugally funny. My Dmom used to get silver dollars from my Ddad and 1 for every year each year anniversary!!He finally had to quit because even going to several banks 59 was hard! So she sent 1 to DD w/ her birth year on it. It was so sweet. I still havent made a cake because no one had stopped spinning long enough to bake it!

Went to Big Lots and got 4 gallon bags of candy and 40 Koolaid juice boxes. We have tons of kids. We hit the Thai restaurant for an early Sweetest Day in case the dog thing goes south. No ones going to be celebratey.
Went to Ollies and super score. .20 a can for kitten Iams cans and premium canned adult cat food. Those are .65-$1. each so I got 7 cases. They date Sept.2015. Maxx (17 yr. old cat) uses 4 a day because the others eat off his and sometimes the small dog gets a treat. If their ok w/ it I might donate some. Too,way too excited about it. Such a spectacle I made of myself. I needed a crazy cat lady shirt-no need.
Spent a lot today for an unemployed family but all practical? Oh,got DH 2 bags of mini Girl Scout mints candy. $5. Sweetest Day gift. DONE!!

Nikko-prayers sent your way. We are thinking of ya!!
DD found that same dog stuff toy the daushund had on the Pet Smart commercials. The long dog one,for Hunter. This outta be cute. So much for regarding him as a temp. dog. Damn he's so cute!!

Dh has no leads and hasnt heard back from anything. Waiting sucks. I wish a "I'm BSing you light would go off so you could stop hanging! Poor DH.

·
Registered
628 Posts
FW fingers crossed that your dh has some good news soon & your dd sounds wonderful :)
Niko hope things improve for you((hug))

I just gathering up the wee ones to go to the local park for a walk, then home and dinner and the pack for the funeral. I'll be leaving in the middle of the night so I won't be checking in for few days. Stay safe & happy :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Rona--My thoughts and prayers are with you for a safe trip.

All my actors had lines memorized yesterday, so class went smoothly. I went on an adventure with DH and BIL. We ended up in a nearby town and found apple pie moonshine. Delicious without the burn. We then went on a search for a dairy and found it, but did not go in. We ended up at a place that has the best catfish around and had dinner. All in all it was a good day.
Today, my fur babies got me up early. I have laundry going and will probably hit some sales today either before or after church. Not much else. The medication seems to be working;however, I can't figure out how a muscle relaxer can make the pressure in my head go away. Still a bit fuzzy, but doing better. Hope to get DH to start walking with me in the evenings. Not so sure that I could go by myself. Hope you all have a blessed day.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Gb-sounds like things are better,so happy for it. We have a great small dairy near us and its ice cream single scoop size is legendary.

Rona-safe travels. and thanks. DD is great. but also like in that poem. "There was a little girl,w/ a little curl in the middle of her forehead,when she was good,she was very very good but when she was bad she was horrid. I still wouldnt trade her for the world. And she knows it-most days. lol

DD is off so I may futz around a little at the house before the dishes in the sink swallow us. Dh wants me to look at a car he likes. Need to check if its a burn day. The Dneighbor covered his yard w/ hay so I hesitate because of sparks!
But I have a huge amt of brush and old paperwork.
Everyone have a nice quiet Sunday!.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Good morning!

Rona Thank you! Assuming I can get the picture up I'll post the finished product when it's done. I have six more to make. I've also got a pattern for a Christmas card holder and a wall hanging that says "Noel" on it I am hoping to have time to do as well before Christmas. With the impending move that's cutting into my craft time. I hope you have safe travels and hugs for the funeral. It's never easy saying goodbye. We will "see" you when you get back.

Pinetree the cookies sound good! I've seen flourless PB cookies on Pinterest but haven't made them before. So they are pretty good huh? I just bought powdered PB at my grocery story this week. I picked up Crazy Richard's which is no sodium and 1/5 grams of fat and Jif powdered PB and that had 2 grams of fat and no sodium. I wanted to compare the two and see which one I might like better. I've used PB2 in the past and while I like the taste it does have a fair amount of sodium. I don't remember how much but I decided it was more than I wanted to "spend" for PB on my toast so I am trying these two. I'm glad you've got your doc appt set up!

Niko I'm sorry :( Sending a hug and a prayer. Let us know if we can help in any other way and we're here to listen if you need to talk / vent.

FW the ring sounds awesome for your DD and yay for a fun party! Good deals at Big Lots for you too. I love the toy for Hunter :) He's going to love that.

GB Glad the pressure in your head is easing up and yay for the actors getting things memorized. Your adventure sounds awesome!

DH is just now getting up so we can figure out whether we'll stick around and pack all day or whether we should take a part of the day off and go hit up one of the state parks. It's sunny at the moment so a little hike sounds nice.

Today though there will be some packing. I need to run a load of laundry and balance the checkbooks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My favorite Maine lighthouse, West Quoddy Head

Sky Lighthouse Window Building Cloud

This is sunrise on Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine from the cottage where we stayed a couple of weeks ago for our anniversary. I spent every morning outside to see this. It was just stunning.
Water Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant

Well the good news is I got the first one in the right position! Sorry about the second. LOL! I am going to figure this out somehow!!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Hirk-I am a particular fan of lighthouses. I used to have this great MI. sweatshirt w/ all the lighthouses here. There are a lot because Up North has a large maritime history. But alas it "undergrew" me
Regarding the toy-DD got growled at. That dog has orphan syndrome. He never had anything and when he gets something he loves he can get protective. I should buck up and give it to the old owner that yes,he isnt good for small kids but.. I may be too petty? lol Anyway he shredded it last night w/ abandon. I guess I am the only one who could touch it.?? The mama cat came and sniffed the remains and he gave her the stink eye too? Hunter may be a good name.

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
Miss a day and all hell breaks loose here. Sounds like everyone is busy, like usual. I can't keep up!

We ran away from home again. The plan was to take Mom to the North Shore to see the color and do the gondola ride at Lutsen Mountain to see the color from the air, but she opted not to go so we went to Duluth/Superior instead. We figured, since the news has been yapping about the great color on the North Shore for a week and telling everyone it'll be the last good weekend for leaf peeping, that it would be packed up there. So we hit a pile of thrift stores and spent under $20 combined, hit Harbor Freight where we did some damage, returned $300 worth of stuff to Menards, and just had a nice time. We took the long way home in the hunt for color and didn't find much. I think we have more color at home than we saw anywhere else. But it was a nice day.

We found a new ReStore place in Superior, and checked out the new SA there, too. I got two Corningware Grab It bowls like I use by the dozens for .79 each. They had two more right next to those for $1.99. Go figure. We also checked out the new GW there and I found Husby a really nice vintage ceramic teapot. His office has banned personal electric appliances now, so he has to find an alternative to the mug warmer he's used for years. It was marked $5 but when he went to pay, it was half price. Lucky him. I think I'm going to have to make a tea cozy now, so his tea will stay hot longer.

We hit the main GW in Duluth, too. I found Husby an insulated mug for his tea, also. And while I was perusing the shelves of assorted junk, I was amazed and delighted to find a barbecue smoker box, NIB, for just $3. I couldn't snatch that up fast enough! I've wanted one for a long time but not badly enough to pay retail. I still can't believe I found a brand new one. I may test drive it later today and smoke a fatty with it. Ironically, I realized later the WW cookbook I got at the same store for $1 is a grill cookbook. How perfect is that? :)

We hit at least five other thrifts and bought nothing, plus hit Hancock Fabrics and bought nothing. We almost made it out of Menards without buying anything, but then ran across the display of garage hooks as we were leaving and realized we needed some ladder hooks and some other hooks for shovels above the pallet tool storage I just put in, so we spent $12 on hooks.

We did pretty well at Harbor Freight, considering we rarely get a chance to go there and it's one of our favorite stores. Most of what we bought was on their sale ad, so we saved quite a bit on staples like cable ties and other consumables we use a lot. I found the winch I need for the HydroBikes down at the lake for only $23, way less than anywhere else we've found. We should have bought two, but forgot we need one for the bike trailer, too. Oh, well. We talked ourselves out of lots of interesting stuff, I drooled on the rolling steel tool storage that cost $1,300, we stuck pretty close to our need list, and got out of there for only about $220. Most of that was the electric pole saw I pointed out to Husby. It's a baby chain saw on a six foot pole. If it kicks back there's no way it can be running if it hits him, with a six foot pole between him and the saw blade, and it seems much safer than him up a ladder with a chainsaw running right in his face, which gives me nightmares. I'm happy about that purchase and I think it'll come in handy over the years. I bought waterproof tail lights on sale for the bike trailer, and a wiring harness for it. We've been having problems finding the waterproof lights, so I was happy about those and the money saved thanks to the ad. I guess we didn't buy much there for fun stuff, since we were trying to behave for a change.

Still can't find any ratchet straps that have clip-on fasteners instead of just S hooks. We can't figure out why those are so dang hard to find. We can't be the only people who would rather have a strap clipped on so it can't fall off even if it loosens up. I think I'm going to have to buy some good carabiners which is going to cost us a lot because we'll need so many. Irritating.

We found a commercial-quality file cabinet at ReStore for $22, so Husby can get rid of the cheapo one he has now. They had a vintage double drainboard sink there for $80! I wanted one so badly for the house we were going to buy in town, and had priced them online for $1,200 which I would never pay. If I didn't have the drainboard sink I already have in our kitchen, I would have bought it. Such a deal! I looked for one when we redid our kitchen and couldn't find one. I had one in our house in town but it only had one sink. But I loved the double drainboard part. That was a very interesting ReStore, but all we bought was the file cabinet.

No desk or entertainment center for Husby's office. We did find two desks with right hand returns, but unfortunately he needs a left hand return. I offered him mine but he said no, which is a relief because it's kind of a pain to move it. In the end he concluded he didn't want a steel desk. I like mine, and it's nicer than the ones we found, so it worked out great for me. :) The main GW had a desk that was close to what he wanted, but it was a particle board beast so we weren't real impressed and didn't want to move it either. I'll probably end up building one yet.

All in all, a good day. We got to see Duluth from the high bridge and there wasn't much color on the hills there either. We haven't been to Wisconsin for a few years but managed to get in and out of Packer territory intact.

Hancock Fabrics didn't have any punchneedle supplies at all, beyond a very basic, cheap needlepunch, so I still don't have the fabric and other stuff I need. I'm going to try some 18-count Aida cloth I have and see how it goes. It might work and I have lots of that we'll never use for anything else, so I'd be happy if it worked. They also didn't have a curved scissor. Still can't believe that, and don't understand it. Amazon is my friend!

Yesterday on our way to Duluth, we came around a curve and found four eagles sitting in trees, plus a bunch of turkey vultures and some other raptors. We couldn't see what that congregation was all about. Something large must have died there. I don't think we've ever seen four eagles in one place before. It was quite a sight. Adventures with wildlife.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
SD, thanks for mentioning ReStore. We haven't been to ours recently and need to go.

fw, can you post a pic of DD's ring? It sounds lovely.

hikr, you have some beautiful sights up there in Maine.

Rona, praying for your safe traveling to and from the funeral.

Gbug, I'm glad the head issues are somewhat better. Isn't it frustrating to have to be cautious about doing things by oneself? I'm the same way; if I was somewhere alone and got dizzy, well, there I'd be--alone and dizzy! Not fun to think about.

pinetree, I mentioned powdered PB to DH and his reaction was like mine---yuck! I've never seen it anywhere---what section of the store was it in?

For Sunday:

1) Church, breakfast, Walmart DONE
2) Reset downstairs
3) Go through newspaper for coupons
4) Clean out car
5) Clean my chair and desk area

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone.

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
We've only been to two ReStores, one in Grand Rapids, MN, and now the one in Superior, WI. We'll be back to both, I'm sure. Although we don't get to either town very often.

I bought smoked pork loin Friday and sliced that up today. Oh, yum! We're loving the slicer. Glad you got me thinking about getting one, Pinetree! I've been looking for a nice used one for years and finally decided I wasn't going to get exactly what I wanted unless I bought new. You talking about yours helped me decide that! And we're happy about it. I'll compromise on a lot of things, but finally decided a slicer is one of those tools that if I got something cheap, I wouldn't be happy with it and then wouldn't use it. But I really like the one we got.

It's windy and golden outside today. The leaves won't be on the trees much longer.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,954 ·
Holy Mackeral, man is this moving!!

Rona, Praying for safe travels. We will miss you!

FW, help me, I am a mid life baby? My son is? I was 28 when he was born? My Mom was 23 with my oldest sister, 37 with my little sister.
You sure are having fun with your new dog! Is he going to be ok with that treatment? I don't know anything about the heartworm. I would love to see a picture of your DD ring it sounds awesome!!

How do you find deals at big lots here they are more than the grocery store or walmart, theres nothing in their sales ads either!

GB, I am so glad you are feeling better!, wish we lived closer,we could walk together, well, dont know what we would do, with both of us dizzy!! lol

Hikr, The PB was great, I put alittle bit of flour in because they were too runny, but they came out soft and everyone ate them! Will make them again, I am a real pb fan. Have fun on your adventures!

Thank you for the morning work out!! I usually don't stand on my head until the afternoon, but that picture was worth it!! We had a sunset last night that looked like the sky was on fire, just beautiful!! You have some pretty country up there!

ILC, lol, thats what I thought with the peanut butter too!, then I opened it and had to taste it, it glues your tongue to the roof of your mouth, lol, then everyone had to do it, we had a good laugh. DS found it in the peanut butter, at king soopers its JIF, 85% less fat, 3 T is only 70 calories, 0 salt, 0 cholesterol, carbs 4g protein is 8 g.
Take 3 T powder, 1-1/2 T water, 1 tsp honey or sugar, mix and use, it tastes like roasted peanuts, well thats all it is, dehyraded peanuts.. Its really good!!

SD, I am so glad you love your slicer, arent they cool, we use this one alot, and I love being able to make lunch meats, otherwise I can't eat them!
Sounds like you had a great time running away from home!!
I am going to order the pork tenderloin from zaycon, thats a really good price for $2.99 lb, and My DS said he will smoke anything I want, so I'm smoking the entire package.. oh yum!!!

We had a wonderful birthday dinner last night, DS and wife pretty much fixed it all. Had a small piece of cake and took a bite for everyone, its was chocolate on chocolate, the only kind to eat!!! lol He took today off, so they are relaxing until she found out they put her uncle in hospice, and only gave him a day or two, so they are going to see him, we will open cards etc, later.. also DIL sister had her baby, the 9th, so another Oct baby!! Gotta love these libras!

DH is over fixing the hot water heater at the rental, I sure wish things wouldn't break down and last longer like the good old days!

I washed and put on the new comforter I got, remember that cheap one I got from amazon, oh man does that thing sleep good!! I didn't wake up until 7, ran to the bathroom, then jumped back in bed until 11;00, man did I sleep, and I am feeling good !!, lol now that 1/2 the day is gone!

Niko, praying and thinking about you,.. I'm gonna tell you everyday.. maybe it will help..hugs

OM, OK we are getting really close here, down to 2 days, had a baby due the 13th and she had him the 9th,,, let us know when!! Hope you are doing ok..Hugs

Our trees are just starting to change, but I guess its all done in the mountains, unless you go way down south.

Today
have rest of birthday party
find dinner
run empty dishwasher

Have a wonderful, relaxed day.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
ILC-it is in Emergency essential and Honeyville survival catalogs and I saw it at Costco (from Honeyville) awhile ago. I have some but need to check it.

Pinetree-that means your mom was at least 40something when she was preggers w/ you thats all.lol Our trees are getting very beautiful. Did you say Paige had the baby? I am liking this goofy dog but there Is a very real possiblity of things going badly. Embolism being a very real chance. We dont know if he is 3-5yrs old. I don't know if I can keep him quiet like he needs,and he's only 24#. Good Lord has this one.

Sd-we are of similar minds
I went to an estate sales 1/2 off day. $5. for a wooden stool on wheels for DD's sewing table. Scooting while pinning patterns!. Dh found a monitor shelf for a $1.
We hit the F.O.E. sale and I snagged a brand new Simple Singer sewing machine for $30. I thought DD might bring it to have sewing days w/ friends. If not I'll take it. DH found a mini compressor in a handled case for $5. and I got Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover on Audio $1. wont hurt to brush up! Maybe DD will listen too. Ha!!
We looked at Cars and DH is considering a 2015 Impala limited (cherry red) for $17,500 @ about 18,000 miles. Excellent condition 100% warranty still. The black 2013 wasnt there. He alway hesitates on things. He feels guilty because he isnt working but I am ok w/ it.

We got ice cream after. Nice day. So fall pretty.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,956 ·
FW, do you mean that poor dog wont make it? Isnt there something safe you cand give him? can he just sit and chew on dog bones? Oh, thats horrible, sounds like distemper in cats, We were SO lucky that Sweet Pea and Tazzie lived thru it.

No Paige HAS not had her baby yet, well that I know of. MY DIL's sister had hers., she was due the 13th also!

Ice cream yum.. my new one is pecan pie, oh yum...because you had butter pecan!!

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
I smoked a fatty in the Cobb tonight. This is my Cobb and my pic, but not my fatty, in case you find yourself in need of a visual aid. :)

It was like I had never cooked before. Dang! The first thing that went wrong was I put the smoke pellets in the cast iron smoker box and then forgot to put it in with the coals. That wasn't so bad since we were using hickory charcoal so I just let that go. But it got worse.

Then the starter we used was too big so we had to fish that out from under the basket with the live coals in it and drag it out to the driveway where it wouldn't set the deck on fire. Stupid me put the coal basket in the upside down lid of the Cobb while we dealt with the starter and melted the plastic knob on the top of the lid. This is a $350 cooking system and I melted the dang knob! I'm still kicking myself. It seems to work okay but it doesn't look too nice anymore.

I was looking at the fatty and accidentally left a potholder on the lid when I put it back on, and of course the heat through the vent holes burned the potholder. It was a pretty nice potholder, too.

The fatty didn't seem to be cooking like it should, so genius me decided to add more coals. Of course I added too much and the grill that has never flared up in its life started to flare.

Then the bottom of the fatty started to burn and it was far from done. So after a while of this nonsense with the flaring and the bacon burning, I decided to finish it off in the oven in the house. I carried it in on the grill (cooking surface), but put the lid on the grill base so no sparks would escape and set fire to the deck. I was shoving the fatty in the oven when I realized not having the grill (cooking surface) in the Cobb would make the top of the dome cover too hot, and that would melt the knob again. Sure enough.

I rescued the poor knob and went back in to deal with the fatty, only to realize the lowest rack in the oven was too low and the next one up was too high. And the bacon was splattering all over the oven. Now that's a giant mess, but at least the top element in the oven didn't set the bacon on fire, luckily.

The stupid thing was finally done, and my reward for all this aggravation was a beautiful, perfectly cooked fatty with a really pretty quarter inch smoke ring. The bottom wasn't burned after all, and the fatty (pizza fatty this time) was delicious. We have enough left for two or three more meals, so we'll be enjoying that most of this week.

It's embarrassing when I forget how to cook. But I've never had a fatty failure and I'm glad tonight wasn't the first time. Dang, that was good, and so pretty with that big pink smoke ring.

I'm going to ask my mom to sell me her Cobb. She's had it for years and I don't think she's ever used it. Cobb USA has been out of business for several years now and there's nowhere to get parts anymore, so I want Mom's Cobb for the parts. We have two Cobbs and I live in fear of losing something or damaging it so badly it makes one or both of them unusable. Maybe she'll give it to me for Christmas.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
OMG!! SD that is not Detroit language. Smoking a fatty is Soooo diff. lol Here you need a 40 w/ your shorty! lol hint no steak involved.lol

Pinetree-calm yourself. This dog was infected long before,about 6 months. Hw-the female worm can be 14" long and once they all start to die the masses can cause an embolism. I must crate this dog for a month straight w/ the exception of leash potty breaks. He is not to get jumping or anything that will increase his heart rate. Easier said than done.Thats why I am requesting a light sedative for him. We have stopped the increase w/ an antibiotic called Doxycycline. He howls if someone isnt w/ him now. I am going to buy him a bed tomorrow and practice crating again. The month we had him he has slept w/ us. Things will go as they will. We will do our best. He was sick when I got him.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
FW2--I am a pet lover, too. Hang in there. My old lab has a seizure like thing where he can't stand up. I calm him down and he then is okay. This last time; however, he developed a fatted tumor on his back or it could be some kind of muscle thing.

Pinetree--Keep us posted on the baby. Babies are on their own schedules. lol

Spirit Deer--Smoking a fatty in my neck of the woods has a different denotation.

Went to bed with extreme pressure last night, but feel better today.
Today:
1) Cut coupons and find deals
2)Dead head flowers in flowerbed.
3) Work on needlepoint

I need a haircut, but don't know when that will happen. I might get DH to help me pick a bucket of pears to take to the food pantry tomorrow. Dinner will be: scalloped potatoes,steamed broccoli, baked chicken breasts, and pear crisp. Have a great day. Going to be in the 80s here today due to a cold front. Gotta love Texas weather.

2941 - 2960 of 4061 Posts