Frugal Village Forums banner

3081 - 3100 of 4061 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I read all your post and I can relate to all of you!! Different people from different parts of the country but same ol problems!

Still working on yesterday's list......should be done today though!

FW.....I have never, ever been a little dog person. Give me a lab any day! But, that being said, if someone were to dump a little dog off on my doorstep tonight I would probably be in love (and keeping him!) by morning. Us animal types are just like that I guess?

Have a great evening everyone!

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Husky owners refer to little dogs as 'snack dogs'. (Did I really say that out loud? :D) Some huskies have a high prey drive and can be hazardous to small animals including cats and dogs. I'd have a small dog if I couldn't have anything else, but they wouldn't be my first choice. But that's the nice thing about dogs, they're the most diverse species on the planet, so there's a size that fits everyone.

When we went to Minneapolis last year to visit poor Nikita, we went to the dog park. One person was there with a chihuahua and a Great Dane. It was something to see those two together! I'd have been afraid the Dane would step on the little one.

I found a recipe a while back online that looked like it had potential for a WW-friendly hot chocolate mix. I just made up a small batch. We both like it, the first hurdle. So I ran it through WW's recipe builder and it came out to only 2 Points Plus per 8 oz. serving!

Sugar Free Fat Free Hot Chocolate Mix
3 c. dry nonfat milk
1 c. Spenda
1/2 c. baking cocoa
1 (1.4 oz.) pkg. FF SF instant chocolate pudding mix
Mix and store. Use 1/4 c. mix to 1 c. hot water. 19 servings, 2 PP per serving.

I'm going to love this in my freezing cabin this winter! I found a cute Hershey's tin that holds about a quart, which will be perfect for my office kitchenette. I had it in the camper but we never used it and luckily it didn't get donated.

Pinetree, you should have seen the sky when we came home from town. The sunset was all pink and orange and spectacular, and it reflected off the bottom of the clouds. It looked like the sky was on fire, just so beautiful. We need to get into the habit of bringing a camera with when we drive into town. There are so many gorgeous sights on our way, there's always something we enjoy seeing.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Took little dude to his appt. in his Tigger costume. I am now that person! Had fun. His heart and lungs sound good. He goes again in 3 weeks for treatment #2/#3.
So thankful/so far.
there is a new bar for "that person" with their pets, google Trump your Cat/Dog, it's so funny. Or Bernie Your Baby, that one is weird. We are going to ferminate Buddy, has long red/blonde hair and Trump Bernice, who has short hair. Should be cute.

FW, I'm behind, what happened to you fur baby?

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
We bought lumber for the baseboards in the office today. Ace didn't have any paint on sale except their Clark and Kensington samples for $1/pint, so we got two of those. Paint's going to be on sale in November, so I'll use the samples now for the baseboard in the closet. Then we'll get the rest of the paint next month. We should have enough to keep us busy in there till then, without painting. I got the spackle today too, so have that to do. We ended up buying 1x3s for the baseboard. Very cheap, about $14 for the whole 10x13 room plus 4x4 closet. Can't complain. Ace's Royal paint and Clark and Kensington are my current favorites when it comes to paint. I made the mistake of using some Walmart paint right after using the Ace Royal. No comparison! I won't be buying anymore WM paint, ever. Ace paint might be three times the price, but WM paint takes three coats instead of one so it's three times the work and ends up costing almost as much. Lesson learned there.

Tomorrow Ace is having an online webinar about their new chalk paint that you're supposed to be able to use with no prep work. I'm hoping I can learn something useful for my antique cabinet. I'm sure the new paint is expensive but since I got the cabinet free, I'd be okay with it.

Got a new WW cookbook today at GW. Every time I think I've bought every WW cookbook they could have possibly published in the past fifteen years, I find another one. I also got a white fabric shower curtain for $1 (half price) to line the new curtains I'm going to make for my office, which I'm also making from a shower curtain. Husby found a tapestry NWT marked $40 from Kohl's, half price at $1.50. It's an old mill with a water wheel and some ducks in the stream. He loves that kind of stuff. I'm going to incorporate it into his new giant bulletin board when I get around to building that. It'll work with the printed burlap I picked up free at a sale last summer and also the license plates I'm going to frame the bulletin board with. I can't wait till we figure out some more furniture placement in there so I can get to work on the bulletin board. He thinks he doesn't want one but he always puts pins in the wall cabinet we're getting rid of and tapes stuff to the walls and shuts his calendars in cabinet doors because he has nowhere to hang them and all. He's going to love it, and if he doesn't, then we can take it out.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Sd-smack talking begins!! We refer to huskies as defective wolves!! (bobs head and waggles finger)lol And yes I am sick to death of-Do you think they will be ok w/ ferrets? Yes,but only as an appetizer!! We live in a trailer park,can we adopt that husky. Of course and food will be free,there are always lots of dogs and cats loose in a park.AAAAH!

TDN=this dog is a pocket beagle so the beagle part gives him an in w/ me,plus the HW bit has brought out the momitude cuz' the kids are grown. But mostly his attitude is BIG. Like I said before he isnt for those w/ small ones. If he dont like it he says so and enough is enough. The lady vet was manipulating his back and then his spine after he tried to get up and kinda bonked into the bed. She was bending his neck back w/ his mouth held shut and he snapped. I dont care for her
and he prob. picked it up. I had gotten worried he was in an accident when he was a runner before I had gotten him so I let her do more than i would.

TRN-so very sorry for you. DH is in this spiral. He cant seem to get a permanent position and is taking contract work. He is telling me this new one is LT and I am like BFD! the last one they said that and you had it fizzle 3 months early! Plus this is another 1 hr. drive. I guess at least this would be in a safer car? I live more defensively these days.
He is impulsive anyway but now he is just keyed up all the time. Always on the phone,running here and there to meet up w/ old mates from jobs. The tension in Kaboom!!!

Dmom is a bit obsessive. Ddad was way obsessive. He was 85 w/ a bad heart and went out bending over to pick up sticks. Oh,and cutting off the blood supply to a heart working at 45%? Ddad used to rake like leaves into piles. Like certain barrels had Oak,poplar,maple. Dmom quit raking w/ him because he would get mad. So I understand that she is an adult but her judgement, to me, is scewed. An hour not 5 hrs. is appropriate to rake if you feel ok. Plus I personally would love her to be going to the senior center for movies,games,friends?
My Dbro said he had to touch everything when he was a kid. I never knew. And we shared a bedroom.
I collect things. And go overboard on stuff. GEnetics. Gotta love it.

Bad day at the rescue. The toilet backed up and the room I take care of smelled of methane. GRoss. Last month it was the furnace. I spent time in the main cat hall area. Bailed. YUP!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I am EXHAUSTED! Picked up my glasses today and have to work myself into them. They are strong. Then I made my way to Dollar General for DH's underwear and I walked out buying 4 deviled egg containers at 20 cents each and a pair of shorts for my granddaughter, grandson, and a complete outfit for my other grandson for $1 each. Boy did I do well. I finally made my way to the grocery store and then went home. Went to Hobby Lobby and Michaels to try to find a needlepoint stocking kit with an angel. Impossible. Gave up and stopped at the nursery and bought a red honeysuckle and purple asters to add to my butterfly, hummingbird, bee garden. Bet I sleep well tonight. Tomorrow I am going with my neighbors to a party planner bizarre in which all the different restaurants and anyone having to do with parties will be giving away prizes and free food at the local university. I will let you know how it turns out. Hope you all are doing well. We are getting ready to have flash floods starting tomorrow night through the weekend. Oh, boy do we need the rain, but not too much.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Sounds like you got some deals.
Hope you have fun,that sounds like an unusual event,think that would be fun to check out. Need to hit the Dollar Tree for Halloween cards if they still have any. Dmom likes cards.

Need to buy some food today. I been avoiding the groc. and it shows. I may peek in Ollies and see if they have anymore of the canned cat food. I ended up giving 5 cases (of 24 cans) to the rescue that I had gotten at .20 each and 3 boxes of Nitrile gloves for the vet area. Those were .$3.99/50% off @ Goodwill a few months ago. I need to clear the van before winter and that helped a bit.
I may check around and hit a few sales too.
Everyone take care,hugs.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
FW2--I am addicted to free and cheap. I don't need drugs, just point me to a sale. DH and I went back to Dollar General and I bought another egg container for 20 cents to give to my SIL. They eat a lot of deviled eggs. So excited to go the party planner event today for free food and hopefully I will win a door prize, but I have to mail some packages before that. Not much else today. I have red beans cooking in the crock for dinner.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Spirit Deer.......I get tired just reading what all you accomplish! WTG!

Finally got through all the laundry. Going to do a little yard work today and paint a little alcove, I guess you would call it? I have left over paint and it needs lightened up, no natural light in there. I am also of the thinking that good paint is worth the price. Benjamin Moore is my favorite and that is all I have used in years!

Need to go pick up painting supplies, the area I am painting is small but there are 3 doors plus built in cabinets so will not be a fun area to paint!

Need to go socialize rescue kitties today too......I took yesterday off and I feel guilty about it.

Have a fabulous day everyone!!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ok i got through it, just here for a short update. I did get the appartement empty, painted and cleaned, so hopefully it will be rented out soon now. Im really happy that is done no matter what though, I really hate being there, and having all that white (obligated colour to paint in) doesn't help.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Ayanka, I know you're glad to have that apartment finished! All white--how boring, but understandable.

TDN, I'm with you on the big dogs. Never had a little one, we love the big ones. Most of our doggies have been Labs who we happen to find--or maybe they find us? One of our dogs stumped even the vets. We never knew what he was, but he was pretty and very very sweet and he was with us for 13 years till he had a heart attack. We've never had a dog that weighed under 65-70 pounds.

Gbug, I know some places in Texas have had some bad flooding. Praying your area escapes that.

SD, if your DH doesn't want the bulletin board, I'll take it.

fw, glad that Hunter is doing all right. I'm so sorry about your DH's job situation.

pinetree, I still haven't made cheesecake even though I have 6 packages of cream cheese in the fridge! DH's doctor told him he was "slightly overweight" and to eat less and exercise more, and I'm still trying to lose 5 pounds, so cheesecake is just tooooooo tempting to have around.

Everyone else, hi, and hope things are going well.

My college roomie is in town visiting her parents and she's supposed to call today so we can get together but I haven't heard from her yet, so I'm waiting, yet trying to be productive. I am NOT good at that.

For Thursday:

1) Reset den DONE
2) Unload dishwasher DONE
3) Revise menus for the next few days DONE
4) Talk with DH about errands/weekend plans/next week's calendar
5) Mop
6) Swish and swipe bathrooms
7) Gather more donation items

Have a great day, ladies!

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Waiting for a the paint webinar to start.....

I got the first coat on the baseboard we're putting in Husby's office. I bought two sample cans one pint each and I don't think I used 1/4 of the first one. They'll need one more coat which will take even less. The samples only come in satin and I had wanted semi-gloss so the plan was to just do the closet baseboard in satin and then buy a gallon for the rest, but for the $1 the one sample can cost, I'm not going to buy a $30 gallon for a finish that'll mostly be behind furniture where no one will see it anyway. I think the color will be fine.

I told Husby to pick up a sample of the boring tan wall color we picked last night. I think it'll be a good color for that room but need to slap some on the wall and see before we commit. The baseboard is a darker brown with a hint of red. It should look nice with the existing woodwork and the furniture in there. I really want to get the paint on the walls so we can move on to arranging things and figuring out the final positioning of all his stuff.

Webinar! Laterz.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Just got home from the party planner zone and I am stuffed: Cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, scrambled eggs and sausage, soft tacos, sandwiiches, pork jalapeño poppers, pizza, candy, mac and cheese, salad. I also brought home a bag filled with pens, t-shirt, koozies, notepads, stress balls, and much more. What a fun thing! I took a baggie and brought the sweets home to DH. I would tell anyone to see if they have a party planner exhibition in their town and go early. By the time we left, it was packed.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
The webinar was interesting. Not sure the furniture I have to do would work for the techniques shown but it was still worth watching. I have some ideas now for a couple things I want to do. I really like that this person is a thrifter and a curb picker and an estate sale shopper. I can relate! She said people throw out 28,000,000 pieces of furniture a year. I know we've tossed quite a bit this year, most of which no one would have wanted.

Now I just want to go paint something. :D

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,095 ·
Nomad, Thanks, Don't work to hard today!

TDN, Wow thats alot of reading!

SD, Thanks for the hot chocolate recipe, I'll have to figure it out and see if I can have it. The sky sounds amazing, did it ;look like my avatar? That was taken from my front yard when the sky was on fire. Yes, take your camera, you have such beautiful scenery up there, that you are probably use to!
I agree with the ace , kensington & clark paint, but ace told Dh about a years ago they sold the forumla to benjamin moore and would only carry the label for another 5 years.

FW, So sorry you lost one of your own, she will be hard to replace. Those little dogs grow on ya huh!! I love 'em all, from my little weiner dog to my beautiful huggie black dane.

Niko, sending up prayers for ya!

OM, thinking about you? Hugs

GB, WTG on your deals and freebies! Sounds like you did wonderful at your bizzarre!! Be careful with the flooding, I see chasers are moving into Texas already.

Ayanka, Yippiee! Does this mean you never have to go back to that apt again and you can enjoy your new home and move on?? Hope so!! Hugs!!

ILC, aww, I really wanted cheesecake!! Maybe carrot of pumpkin cookies instead? lol I cant lose for the life of me now, the DR said I didnt lose a pound, sob.. Good luck losing your 5!!!

Rona, Hoping your PT went well. Dont over work yourself.

RABBIT, I Miss You! Hoping you stop by and say HI?

Hi to everyone I forgot..

Its raining and gloomy today, but it cooled off so it feels pretty good. The mountains are getting hammered, theres chains required on some passes, we need the snow for next years water, so the more the better. Its 50* here so the garden is getting a good drink and a break from the heat.
Fixed stew for dinner last night, it was pretty good, its been too warm to have soups and stews.
Kinda taking it easy, I pretty sure I am fighting a cold, thats just what I need. Geeze, I gotta get something to eat, its almost 12:30 and I havent eaten breakfast!

todays list
dust, clean up hutch
pay bills
clean bathroom
exercise

Have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Gb-color me green.
I took DD to Tubby's Subs. and then drug her to a G.sale. I found a giant beer stein w/ Ds's name on it for a buck. And a new kitty cat fountain. She was asking $10. w/ a $37.50 tag on it. If the cats here dont like it-maybe the Rescue. We have 1 and the cats in my room love it.

Havent done any chores. The tree here are so beautiful this time of year. Just driving down my road is a color tour. I feel so fortunate. We have yellow gold,brite green,deep rust,a deep purple sugar maple,red,and forest green pines just in sight of this house. I love living in a forest w/ so many mature trees.
I admit,just want to savour the last days before the drop.

Hope all is going well. Hoping to message w/ Ds. Haven't heard his voice in about 2 months now?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Good morning, yesterday totally got away from me. We had our water class in the morning and then I ran DH over to meet DD and the kids. DD took he and her oldest DD out to lunch and I took the little one home with me for some one on one time. We had lunch, played and took a 2 mile stroller walk where she promptly fell asleep. LOL. She only woke up when she dropped her stuffed loon :) I rescued him for her and she fell back asleep. Cutie!! They got back and hung out till supper time and I have to say by the time I fixed supper and cleaned that up I landed on the couch and that was all she wrote for the night :)

This morning we had water class and my bottoms decided to depart. That was fairly horrifying. We were supposed to jump up and touch the flags hanging over the pool. When I jumped up my bottoms went down. Holy moly! So that ended my jumps for the day. When everyone jumped I just kinda ran in place. ROFL! So now I'm on the hunt for a bathing suit bottom in October in the north. Not an easy task. Weight loss is great but a wardrobe malfunction not so great! After class we stayed after for the lap swim and got in a 1/4 mile swim (regular swimming is OK with the bottoms. It's just the waist that's loose and when you jump up you kind of suck in your stomach a bit and BOOM down they go). Since we got back I've been sorting through paperwork (piles and piles...) and I did a bunch of shredding and filing. Balanced checkbooks too. I also got the curtains washed for the new house so once DH gets the rods up I can put the curtains up. We are still packing and organizing...I feel like it'll never end. I have craft night tonight.

GB I chuckled about you having to toss DHs underwear. Mine is the same way. Well, he's like that with socks too. He'll give me the rattiest, holiest socks and undies to wash and I just finally gave up saying "hey buddy I'm going to toss these" because then he's all "those are perfectly fine". NO. So now when those roll into the laundry I toss them in the trash and he has no choice but to use the new stuff of which he has plenty. LOL

TDN I have only one cat now and I could still totally get pet hair up if I vacuumed daily. She is a shedder!

Pinetree I will let you know how the dietitian visit goes. I haven't got an appt yet as my doc office has to get the authorization from my insurance and those wheels can sometimes turn slowly. So I'm just waiting for a call back with an appt. Hopefully they aren't really backed up on appts.

ILC glad you've gotten some good visit time with your DS. And it's good he finally kicked that sinus infection. Those are tough to kick.

RootedNomad I hope you're right on me eventually looking forward to exercise. It's never been my thing (which explains my weight issues). But I'm hoping. I am going to try a new class tomorrow that is supposed to cover step class aerobics, cardio and strength training using light weights and interval training. I'm a little nervous!

FW that's good your Mom's furnace is fixed. That sounds like a nightmare with your DH putting the cable etc into Hunter's room. WHAT?? LOL! What did the vet's office say when you brought Hunter in wearing his costume?? I bet he was adorable!! I'm so happy to hear that his heart and lungs sound good. That's awesome!!

Rona that's a good idea about the course through the college. Thanks for the link. I set up a watch for that. It would be interesting. I know the basics of nutrition but not the detailed stuff which is important too. When do you have to have the MRI? That's discouraging I'm sure that you're not making a lot of progress but hang in there.

SD thanks for the cocoa recipe. I drink it very rarely but that would be good to have for those times that a hot cup sounds good. I had to laugh at the "snack dogs" comment!! My in laws had a min pin. That dog was the meanest dog I'd ever met. He almost swore me off small dogs for life. Since then though I have met some nice small dogs so I'm good either way. DH always like big dogs so with the exception of our first dog who was a shepherd / husky / hound mixed breed we've had a retired racing greyhound and a Great Dane. After having had the big dog last with the Dane he has now moved past wanting to have a big dog again. She was a love and we miss her still but it was tough having such a large animal.

I need to get cracking. Hello to anyone I missed and hope you all have a good night!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Where is everyone?!

We did errands first thing today so that's over.

For Friday:

1) Tractor Supply, Aldi, Piggly Wiggly DONE
2) Get meat into freezer DONE
3) Catch up on some emails DONE
4) Mop (didn't do it yesterday since DH said he and the dogs were going to the river today, and no sense having them drip all over a clean floor. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
5) Personal laundry
6) Do some filing
7) Record recent expenditures

Have a good Friday, everybody.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Hey,paying my ins and then wiping up the tears!! Holy crap. I just paid $1215.11 for 3 cars/full coverage 6 months. But I am only used to having 2! And old cars not this new dude. Guess whose DD MUST chip in for the ins. I had hoped to cover it and just let her buy the car. I dont think she can anyway though because she has no valid license and only the permit still. She cant register it I think. Gotta call.????

Going to see "puppy" and then hit the groc.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
ILC--Been out and about. Glad you finished so many tasks today.
FW2--I hate paying insurance, but at least I am able to.

Raining cats and dogs here. Went to orientation this morning to be able to volunteer at the local soup kitchen. Starting this in November. Not much on the agenda today except laundry and finishing paperwork for my class and showcase tomorrow. Everyone have a blessed day.

3081 - 3100 of 4061 Posts