Frugal Village Forums banner

1881 - 1900 of 4061 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Guess I will try for tomorrow on the cat rescue donations because they were closed. Playing w/ the idea of volunteering. IF I do I am telling them how many cats and dogs I have for a safe guard.
I need to do something more meaningful w/ my time to keep it off Ds
I would have to sign a contract that I cannot have any more dogs, with an ok, maybe ONE but that's it, clause!

I cannot remember if I already said this but I think I found the perfect thing I can do when I am better. There's a movement called Fospice. It's taking in a shelter dog that is dying so it dies in a loving home with constant care, rather than being in the shelter. I think this could be perfect for me, I can use my Hospice skills but take a break from humans for a while, no chance of taking in another dog and then not being able to pass it on after fostering and I'm used to doing care for the dying in a loving manner but at the same time can maintain professional boundaries so hopefully I can do this and remember it's a good service to the dog despite the loss to me. I could space it out so I don't get emotionally burned out. I have not heard of a Fospice program with our two large shelters, maybe I can write it all up and convince them to give me a trial run. But first I have to be able to totally take care of myself or it is not fair to anyone here to add this on.

·
Super Moderator
19,755 Posts
What a beautiful concept, Bernice. I've never heard of Fospice.

I'm not sure I really have a process yet! Mostly it's going to be using the BITCHOK method of writing: Butt In The Chair, Hands On Keyboard. It's really the only way. One thing I need to do before I'm ready to get back into my office is round up all my music CDs that have migrated to the truck and van. Can't write without some musical inspiration.

I'm finishing off another perfect day of food tracking. I sure hope I can get some traction. I need to lose another four pounds in the next four weeks if I want to make my Prevent goal, which I do. Can't wait to see what the scale says tomorrow. I used to be able to do weeks in a row of loss and near-perfect tracking, but it's been a while since I was that motivated. But now that I've lost twenty, I'm starting to feel like I'm actually making progress. WW thinks I lost 3.5 pounds this week but my weight bounced between my Prevent weigh-in last week and WW the next day, so it's really more like two pounds. I'll take it! Or leave it, as the case may be. Whatever it is, I sure hope it's gone for good.

I did do part of my list today. I biked, I put the dishes in the dishwasher and washed the plastics by hand, I cleared off some of the stuff on the kitchen island which isn't as bad as it looks, and I did a lot of work on my mom's back door curtain which isn't on the list, but needs to be a priority so it's on tomorrow's list. Hopefully I'll get it sewed tomorrow because she really needs it. Might as well alter my biking capris while I'm at it. I'm really hating the droopy-butt pants I have. I also changed the umbrella on the dock, which I mentioned earlier. That's a big improvement.

I've decided to buy fish food. There are always little minnows hanging around by our dock, and that way I can enjoy fish without having to take care of them in the house. We think they're perch. Might as well feed them. We feed every other dang critter around here.

Tried out the new boat hook and love that. Six feet is a nice size, just right for prying my bike out of all the little niches it seems to find to jam itself into. I've been using my foot but the lake has dropped so much that's getting dangerous because I have to reach down so far I'm off balance.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Between last night and this evening finally caught up again.

Pinetree finally saw your message after I read your post that you sent it. I need to reply to it when I have the quiet time to do so. I have a hard time writing when someone is around.

And yes... Bank of Hell is at it again. Did we expect otherwise? No we didn't.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Nikko it is hard to keep up with this without taking notes.
Morning all
3 for 3 done yesterday
today inventor . Freezer and cook supper

Hubs I working and in pain....
I have not been complaining I whine enough, but I injured my thigh several years ago.. and itis hurting so bad this week the sheet laying across my thigh or gown stabs me.. it hurts so bad.. I hate to complain... I have done nothing but whine.. I am really in pain...

Taking it easy

Bible time, drinking water
Something easy for supper

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
om, I'm so sorry everything is hitting you at once---DH and you not feeling well, the car, etc. Prayers for you!

Bernice, I love the Fospice idea! It would help animals and would use your considerable skills. There was a story on the news recently about a woman who took in a dying dog and made a Bucket List for him, and she posted everything on Facebook. He died happy and loved. Maybe if you can pilot the program then other health-care professionals could volunteer their time too???? I know it wouldn't happen immediately but it's a fantastic goal.

Niko, if the Bank of Hell has done this to you then there are other people who have also experienced it. I wonder how they (the bank) would feel if a class action suit was filed against them for fraud and general dishonesty. Really, I'm serious, contact a big-city TV station about what you've gone through. Atlanta has Clark Howard who's a consumer advocate so I'm sure somewhere in Florida has a counterpart to him. There's a small group of local builders who are currently facing the Bank of Hell; the bank is threatening them with taking everything they own, refusing to accept anything other than complete and total payment of monies due them. So totally unreasonable.

SD, yes, some of the old romance novels I read did feature rape as exciting and romantic. This was in the mid-70s when my feminist consciousness was being raised and rape scenes sickened me, so I quit reading them. Strange but true: I love the true crime genre. Also Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series and the Jonathan Kellerman books about Alex Delaware. Go figure....

Ayanka, that sucks about your windshield. I hope car insurance will pay for it. Yes, let the authorities know so perhaps they can catch who did it.

Hi, RABBIT!

fw, too funny about DD's debit card! I'm never surprised by what cats will do. It's part of their charm.

hikr, hope you had fun with the little ones yesterday!

pinetree, are you okay? Miss you...

If I left anyone out, sorry, and hi. Oh Jen, is your foot better?

Today I picked out new glasses plus prescription sunglasses. (I've had my new prescription 6 months.:shame:) I had put it off because it had been so many years since I'd even looked at new glasses and I had a feeling that there would be sooooooo many choices. And I was right. Fortunately I got a really good person who knew her stuff and could steer me in the right direction and give advice and tell me about all the bells and whistles that will actually help me see better. So I got new frames for everyday that aren't anything like I've ever had because they are stylish! Plus a pair of prescription sunglasses that look glamorous plus will protect my eyes and the skin around them. It was a buy one, get the second pair free sale so I did save some money even though it was still exorbitant. But I'll be able to see better! The lenses are HD and have special coating and all sorts of cool features. It took well over an hour but it was productive and I'm satisfied. DH likes them too.

For Monday:

1) Get blood work done at dr. DONE
2) Get glasses picked out DONE
3) Pick up flea meds for cats DONE
4) Start making shopping lists for our big monthly shop this weekend
5) Put flea meds in all the cats' food
6) Church 6:00 for dinner

Have a good one, everybody.
7) Gather more donation items

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I did it!! I toured the new cat cages,donated cash,donated supplies and petted many new fur friends-Then I left empty armed. I am thinking of volunteering 2x a week or at least 1x. I have already said I have all the cats and 3 dogs. So don't adopt even a frog to me. The guy was working me but I held firm.
I need to get back out there so this may be an option?

·
Super Moderator
19,755 Posts
Niko, I hope you can work through this latest mess soon. They should back off once you hit them with receipts and other documents to prove you made those payments.

OM, it sounds like things will be looking up a little as soon as the car is fixed and you won't have that on your mind. Then maybe your husband can take it easy. It maybe worked out for the best if he doesn't have paying work this week that he'd have to do while in pain. Hang in there.

ILC, I used to read true crime but can't anymore. Fake crime doesn't bother me, usually, although some episodes of shows like Criminal Minds make me squirm. The stupid part is now I watch true crime shows on TV. I wouldn't say I exactly enjoy it or find it entertaining, it's more about trying to understand why people do the sick things they do. But the more I see, the less I understand. Did you hear Ann Rule died? I read a lot of her stuff, back a few years now.

Yea for the new glasses! It sounds like you had some fun picking out cool frames and getting exactly what you wanted. I hope they'll be wonderful for you. Can't wait to get mine, which should be anytime now.

I don't know, FW. Pets are like potato chips, it's hard to stop with them once you start. I'd be scared. Seriously. But good luck anyway. I know the shelters always need volunteers.

I got most of the island cleared off and two herb gardens started. I'll finish the island later. I laid out a tomato kit for one of the big gardens, so will have to get that counter cleared off and plant tomatoes and peppers soon. I just love watching new gardens develop.

I also got Mom's door curtain pieced together. I just need to put the lining on the back and finish the edges. While I was at it, I rounded up fabric to piece together a curtain for my cabin door. That shouldn't take very long. I should have had one there years ago.

Took pics before the rain and sent them off to my publisher, so we'll both be happy today.

Did a bunch of research, too, and settled on a WIP (work in progress) to work on. Now I really have to figure out what to do about story boards, if anything.

Still on track with my food, using my bento which is actually now a shelf in the fridge door since I couldn't make space for the bento. Whatever, it's working, although my scale had the nerve to stubbornly stay the same today. I'm also doing a Prevent challenge to eat two pounds of fruits and veggies for the next three days, although I really don't see the point. I get points for the challenges but don't know the point of those, either. I'm less on track with my exercise, but still doing active chores which helps me and the house.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
SD, I saw where Ann Rule had died. I think I read everything she wrote except for her book about the Green River killer---I read maybe 3 pages and it was already so gruesome (killing animals) that I put it back on the shelf at the library. Her best, I think, was Small Sacrifices, which was made into a TV movie which also was excellent.

·
Registered
895 Posts
No worries, the car is a lease car (leased by the company), so its just a pain in lost time, not lost money to me. I just hope they don't steal it for another 3 nights, then I ll be good and I can drive it to the repair guy. This is just going to be one of those weeks, so don't come to near to me.

·
Super Moderator
19,755 Posts
ILC, I read Small Sacrifices, too, many years ago. I probably read the Green River killer book, too. I read most everything of hers there for a while. The weird part for me watching true crime TV is I find myself hoping it's not going to turn out the way it inevitably does, which I already know is going to be that way. The TV series I find really disturbing lately is Fear Thy Neighbor. I just don't understand how things can get so out of control over minor problems. I think the first true crime book I ever read was Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. I think he died recently, too.

If you want to read a really scary book (fiction) try The Highway by C.J. Box. I took it along to read the first time when we headed out to Wyoming one year. The book is set out in that area and it was spooky being on the interstates out west and also around several of the areas, states, and highways in the book, including Yellowstone. The scary part is I have to wonder how many people there are who are actually like Chuck's antagonist in real life.

Ayanka, I hope the car will be okay. I agree, it's a pain to deal with stuff like that especially when it's caused by someone's stupidity.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,892 ·
Hi guys, checking in
I'm ok, trying to get rid of these statins again, looks like its going to take a few days.I guess I will join Jen for awhile!
I am right back where I was, my legs are like rubber so I can't walk again, my stomach is so tore uip its hard to eat. so I am working and resting, trying to help DH get this big order out...

Hope everyone is doing good, I will catch up on everyone later!!

Did see ilc got her new glasses ordered, WTG!

OM, WTG on the brakes!! Sending up prayers!

Niko, sending hugs

Have a wonderful week!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Ayanka, Karma, that's all I have to say to the person who did that to your rental.

om - your appointment for your leg is tomorrow, right? Hope you get some relief. Your DH too.

SD - I look forward to your posts! You guys just have a lot to say when I'm at work. :) Thanks for the suggestion of the book, I'm going to look for it at the library next time I'm there.

ilc - I've always wanted prescription sunglasses. Let me know how you like yours.

fw - loved the story about the kitty, too funny!

Bernice - I love the whole Fospice idea. There is a rescue in the Detroit area that needed a foster home to step up because they rescued a dog with a huge tumor on her back, found out it's cancer and she has heartworms. They can't do anything about the cancer so they were asking for a foster home for her to live out what time she has left. I would have loved to do it but I think my four would be too much for her. Never heard the term fospice though.

Wednesday
1 - make cookies
2 - dailies
3 - switch out dinnerware

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I love the true crime genre. Also Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series and the Jonathan Kellerman books about Alex Delaware. Go figure....
I like true crime, as well and both those authors. True crime there's that feeling of a need to know when did this person go so far off the rails, what happened to them?

DD and I got in the bad habit of watching the 100 episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix. She's 16 and none of them got to her. I'd watch them, dream about them, started looking up quotes for home security even though I have 2 dogs, I would berate the last person in at night who failed to lock the door, exposing us to the multiple serial killers in upstate NY. Then in way upstate NY, just recently, two men (very bad, murdering men) got a hold of power tools and dug their way out of one of our maximum security prisons. It took like 3 weeks to find them! I really thought they would never be caught if they were somehow smart enough to have and use big power tools in their cells. Phew, they are caught, one shot to death. I am taking a mental health break from Criminal Minds, lol.

But I just read a really good who dunnit- Before We Met.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi guys, checking in
I'm ok, trying to get rid of these statins again, looks like its going to take a few days.I guess I will join Jen for awhile!
I am right back where I was, my legs are like rubber so I can't walk again, my stomach is so tore uip its hard to eat.
this is from the statins, right? people get muscle weakness or discomfort commonly, so a non-statin called Zetia was often used instead, it's also good for anyone with liver issues who then should not be on a statin. They probably have a ton newer drugs than zetia, if you really need something. Which may have made Zetia generic by now. You don't get the dramatic results with Zetia but it does work, especially if you are not starting off with a cholesterol level off the charts

·
Super Moderator
19,755 Posts
I always ask my doc for the oldest drugs that will do the job. I think drugs get rushed to market and the general population then becomes guinea pigs. Sorry, but I don't want to play that game if I don't have to. So far I've been lucky with my statin.

Rabbit, if you love murder mysteries set in the outdoors, I can't imagine you wouldn't love CJ Box's books. He writes the Joe Pickett series (The Highway isn't one of that series) about a Wyoming game warden, so it's always in the great outdoors. Chuck has a great gift for being able to create a sense of place with his writing, so you feel like you're there. Especially if you're familiar with the area a little bit, like we are. Joe's home area is the Bighorn mountains, in the fictional town of Saddlestring which is actually based on the real town of Sheridan, WY, where we still think sometimes we might like to live. (You should see the huge CJ Box posters they have up in the Sheridan library! :D) Anyway, they're all great books, the series and his stand-alones. BTW, there's actually a prequel to The Highway titled Back of Beyond. You might want to read that one first if you think you're interested, because there's also a sequel that came out today, Badlands, so it's at least a trilogy. If you decide to read the Joe Pickett series, I recommend starting at the beginning because, while they can all be read as stand-alones, if you start at the beginning you'll know all the characters' backstories, which is nice and makes it all a lot less confusing. The Highway can be read as a stand-alone, too. There are spoilers on CJ's website, so fair warning!

Bernice, we followed the saga of the escaped convicts on the news. There was something about it on again tonight even. Scary.

The quote in my siggy actually came to my attention when it was quoted on Criminal Minds. It seemed to fit my situation, trying to purge all the excess crap from our house. I love the characters on that show, but I wish sometimes it wasn't so dark. I also like that the settings move around.

NCIS is my favorite procedural, though.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
No Bernice i have never either.
I like Bones. Wouldnt watch it when it 1st came out. DD did,she isn't a bit upset by things like that. She took anatomy and loved it.

ILC-congrats on the glasses. I need to get in! Esp. seeing i have to give upthe COBRA ins. soon and go to the other.

Rabbit-I dont understand. If the dog had cancer why didn't they just put it to sleep because I'm sure they couldn't treat the heart worm. I have a bit diff view on this.
And poor DD her stuff i always targeted by the kittens. Underwear,make-up brushes,shampoo caps. Always her cool stuff lol

well I have to say ancient cat is doing well. My 17 y.o. cat is doing the bsmt stairs now. Go figure. He is now demanding loudly 3 cans a day. I really thought he would be gone by now,so nice to be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
19,755 Posts
We loved NCIS from the first episode. I think it's been on eleven years now.

We watched Bones at first but lost interest. Remember the old show Quincy starring Jack Klugman? Loved that show. I think maybe that was the first show about forensic science. I've always loved science-y stuff.

Wish we would have watched Psych. We'll have to try to get it from the library.

I can't wait to read Box's new book, Badlands. It's set in North Dakota in the Bakkan oil field. We drive that area every time we go out west. It's amazing to see how things have changed out there since we started visiting the area about fifteen years ago. Billboard after billboard begging for employees, construction everywhere you look, trucks practically bumper to bumper on the interstate and trains that are miles long headed west hauling everything you can possibly imagine to support the oil companies and all the peripheral businesses, and heading east carrying coal and crude oil. The boom is slowing down now thanks to the low oil prices, but it's been the wild west all over again out there for quite a while now.

1881 - 1900 of 4061 Posts