Frugal Village Forums banner
1921 - 1940 of 4061 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
om, could it be your electrical outlets aren't working right instead of your appliances? Maybe if you go to the fuse box and flip switches??? I hope the problem is as simple as that.

fw, we have an expected heat index of 105-108 today, so I'm staying inside except for taking care of critters and going to church. We do have a really good chance of rain the next few days, then a little cooler this weekend. Man, I hate summer in middle Georgia.

Well, I'm another one who has never seen Buffy or any Vampire Killers or whatever she was.

We had fun at our first Senior Adult get-together at church last night. We were warmly welcomed (which is what our church does, it's friendly and wants everybody to feel appreciated) and the food was good and the program was a pianist and a cellist which was lovely. A good time was had by all. I told one of our table-mates about homemade laundry detergent and Fels Naptha soap and I may have converted her to it. Not really sure how the conversation got to that subject, but it did.

My new glasses will be ready by August 7. I can't wait.

For Wednesday:

1) Church service 6:30
2) General pickup and reset of den, kitchen, breakfast room
3) Clean our bathroom
4) Gather more items for donations
5) Some financial stuff with DH DONE
6) File some papers

Guess that's about it. Have a lovely day, everyone.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
SD-watermelon=yum. we are supposed to get rain around 3 pm. Need to stand in the shower until then! I may give in and hook up the potable air conditioner in my room. I did manage to get the breakfast area window open. cats should be swarming soon
IDK but Dmom used to get that when there was moisture in the walls. We don't have the wind yet.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
FW, we've been having problems with our phones and rewiring the house is on the to-do, but it seems odd Husby can't hear me. The usual problem has been no dial tone and/or noise on the lines.

We couldn't take the heat in the south either. We were in North Carolina one year in late May and it was already horrible. Loved the magnolias though. I always laugh when some people down there start bragging about "year round" camping and then in their next sentence start complaining about the heat and humidity. IMO, if you don't have one of these, you're not doing any year round camping anywhere! :D Home - Ice Castle Fish Houses

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
my 911 moment was interesting, I was staying in Maine with my mom for a few days get away, kids were 4 and 2, it was my first time away from them, my brother lives in Boston and showed up. It turned out they were kind of ambushing me that I needed to leave my husband as he had a problem with anger and violence (I know it sounds strange, but he is one of the most charming and kind people you could meet. Our marriage was fine until we had any sort of real stress, which we lucky never really did until I had 2 high risk pregnancies, so I was completely taken unaware by the crazy, scary person he becomes in yucky situations). I was trying to work full time again, save some money secretly to get a lawyer and have somewhere to live, when honestly, it was time to just go. I had been crying and feeling not good about being ambushed, someone turned on the tv and one minute it was the news, the next it was 9/11. We live 2 hrs from NY, phones were jammed, I wanted to make sure the kids were safe and my husband had a plan to get out of there if this spread or became WW3, I mean none of us had any idea what was happening. This was too close for comfort to not be with our kids. The hotel was told to discourage people from fleeing, roads needed to be clear. Then my husband and I started getting calls from work, be prepared to report to the hospital, we would be taking the less emergent victims. We were never called, no victims survived to be triaged to us. My brother lost a friend on the Boston plane. Friends lost friends and family. Blessed, so blessed, we lost no one. I was no longer upset with my mother and brother, active plans made to leave him. And finally, at the end of the day, I got to talk to the kids. May something so evil never happen on our soil again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi!! Checking in from camp so I hope this goes through. And please forgive any typing errors. The iPad isn't the easiest to type on.

My 9/11 memory...DH was working and his company was across from the World Trade Center and they saw the towers go down. He didn't see impact which was a blessing but seeing them go down traumatized all of the guys. They (as well as a lot of other companies) brought their vessel over to pick up any survivors on the dock areas. DD was at school and I was home working so TV and radio were turned off. My friend called to make sure I was ok with DH being gone and I was like "why? What's wrong?" And then I snapped on the tv. Such horror.

I have never seen Buffy so I might be the last person! LOL!

Being at the camp I have zero expectations about what I'm going to get done. We are all just hanging out. It's hot and muggy today. So I'm being a lazy slug!

Hope you all have a good night!

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
After 9/11, the first wreckage that left NYC from the Trade Center intended for a memorial outside the city went to the International Peace Garden which straddles the US/Canadian border near Dunseith, North Dakota. Four years ago we finally made it up there and visited the memorial. All I can say is, I should have brought an entire box of Kleenex because I needed it. If those broken and twisted girders could talk. The memorial also has a lot of signage commemorating the support the Canadians provided to us following the attack. I hope every US citizen realizes what Canada and its people did for us. They were truly the helping, comforting hands of a friend when we needed it the most. In that quiet, beautiful, flower-filled place on the prairie, it was hard to imagine the horror represented by the WTC wreckage. Being there, touching that ruined steel and seeing up close the damage caused and thinking of those who died, is truly one of the most moving experiences I've ever had. At the entrance to the Gardens, there's a simple cairn made of native stones with this inscription: "TO GOD IN HIS GLORY, we two nations dedicate this garden and pledge ourselves that as long as men shall live, we will not take up arms against one another." When I think about the unrest around the world and the ongoing border battles some nations have carried on for centuries, I can't help but think about Canada and how lucky we are for our peaceful border.

Bernice, glad you and your family got through it okay, and that you're away from an abusive husband now. Here, Husby's building went into immediate lockdown because it was unclear for a while if it was an attack against government in general or just what was going on and how widespread it might be. I was at his office a couple hours after the attack and parked by the curb, which wasn't unusual. I was in the building and someone came to get me and made me move the van, which everyone in the building knew was ours. (Small town, small staff at that time, and Husby often drove it.) But that's how jittery everyone was and I'm sure it was protocol to keep vehicles back from the building, too, in case they were car bombs. At that time there was only one computer in the whole building that had internet and of course that crashed, so they really didn't know what was going on. Once I was done with my appointment and Husby's office, I did what everyone else did that day and sat in front of the TV watching coverage, going through cycles of rage and sorrow.

Some of the editors I was working with at the time in NYC saw the planes hit. The editor of a friend of mine saw them hit from her office and worked from home for months afterward and refused to go to her office. The word also went out almost immediately that the magazines I was writing for would not accept or publish any stories about anything connected with 9/11. I was glad for that.

Hard to believe so many years have passed already.

On a lighter note, I got the door curtains made for my cabin and put them up. Fast and sloppy, but no one's going to see them unless it's someone who has no business being there, and who cares what they think? Their sole purpose is to keep nosy eyes off the camping gear inside the cabin. I would have liked to have them about three inches longer but that's all the fabric I had, so there's a small gap at the top. I'm okay with it. Someone would have to be seven feet tall to see in.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
SD-we have a wrecked up blind in the garage for the same reason. Not real high On my replacement list. So we had the glorious storm pass through rather quickly. Lots of noise but little lightening. I sat on the covered front porch for most of it. First it was a curtain of water and then giant drops.The temp is cooler thank you very much. Still real cloudy but light again.

Watched "Home" w/ Jim Parsons. Very cute. $4.99 on sale-couldn't resist. Realized on the Port Huron trip this summer has been a real bust for fun

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
9/11 I was walking into the vet for a pick up. Everyone was around the tv and I thought it was a show. It had to be a show. Then the 2nd hit. It seemed far away and surreal. Then the towers went. Living where I do I never knew anyone that even knew someone. But I do regard it as the day we woke up again.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
9/11 - We were camping in upstate NY. We had put the radio on in the camper to hear what the weather was going to be and had left it on and we were sitting outside having coffee. DH went into the camper for something and came out and said "you have to hear this". There was only 3 of us in the campground since it was off season, 2 guests and the campground owners. We did not see tv coverage of the towers until we got home a week later. No reception in the campground. It took FOREVER to get over the Blue Water Bridge when we were coming home since we drove through Canada. Traffic was stopped for miles and they even came and put porta johns out. It took us 20+ hours to drive home.

I haven't ever seen any of the shows you guys are talking about! Heard of them though. I haven't liked anything that much since Lost ended.

fw - the dog is in no pain and the vet thinks that she might even have 2 years left, heartworm is in early stages so no need to do anything there. If it gets to a point she is in pain they will PTS, otherwise she gets to live her life out being loved. The found a fospice home in the country.

3/3 today. Got a lot of other things done too since it was too hot to do much outside. Hoping tomorrow to get my lights strung back up on the back porch. If I get that done after work I will be happy, have been procrastinating doing this.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
I had a pen pal at the time whose husband worked for Time-Warner in Manhattan. She wrote me about the terror she went through, being unable to reach her husband in the chaos and not knowing whether he was okay or how he would get home that night. They lost a friend in one of the towers. The weird part was, they had two friends who were brothers. One brother worked in the towers, the other was an electrician who worked in different buildings all over the area, depending where the job was each day. The brother who worked there was out that day and was never in danger. The one who died had been called in to the towers to do some electrical work there. Fate is a strange thing.

We really enjoyed the Peace Gardens. It's only 500 miles from here so we'll no doubt go again sometime. They change the flower garden displays every year, so it's never the same park twice. They also allow pets on the gardens, so that's helpful for us as we can't leave our dogs in the truck or trailer and they have to be with us all the time. If I could get into my stupid Flickr account, I could post some pics.

I found a twonie someone had dropped while we were there. It was a nice souvenir. I bought a loonie from a biker at a border liquor store for a souvenir, too. Yeah, I'm cheap. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
We found out last year how much they've simplified heartworm treatment now. I'm surprised they're not going to treat that dog, Rabbit. The quote we got if Sota had heartworm was only $100 to treat it and it supposedly isn't the ordeal it used to be where the dog often died from the treatment. Luckily he didn't have it. We don't have a lot of heartworm up here.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Yea, new glasses! I can see again! And I love the frames. Easy to look over and comfortable. Designer frames, who knew I'd get those? LOL. First time for everything. It seems so funny to see those little thin nothing lenses in the frames. Doc said my prescription is now minimal. Best part, I can see letters in books nice and crisp and clear again. The dollar store glasses are okay, but they sure aren't the same as a proper prescription lens.

Husby brought home two romance novels for me from the library, so the research commences. New glasses and new books all in the same day. Life is good!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
9/11 -

fw - the dog is in no pain and the vet thinks that she might even have 2 years left, heartworm is in early stages so no need to do anything there. If it gets to a point she is in pain they will PTS, otherwise she gets to live her life out being loved. The found a fospice home in the country.
Bear with me, very poor memory, we may have covered this, lol- but you have fospice near you? That's what I want to do when I get better. Do you by any chance have a link? We don't have it here yet, when I am better I would have to come up with a plan and a proposal, etc.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Good morning

Went to doctor.....she said what I am experiencing is cognitive dulling. It is is a side affect from the abilfy. She said I was not able to work... ugh
also brakes brakes not working on car.. 210 dollars to fix car now more.. ugh

Today hubs is in a very dirty job working on someone's sewere line.. feel sorry for him..

Today unload the dishwasher, sweep and mop.. 2 lead of laundry

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
I read half a book already this AM. Nice glasses! I'm so glad I'm through all the surgery and recovery, because it's perfect timing now that I need to drastically step up my reading time.

My status has been reinstated with the writers group I just rejoined. HUGE relief! I've been worried about it because I didn't want to start over and have to work up through the general membership all over again. Getting my status back means I can rejoin the community of people who are past the beginner stage and the wannabes and into the business stage of writing, which is really what I need to relearn because things have changed so much since I was working before. I can also again judge the big worldwide contest they have once a year for aspiring writers, which I did for years and years. I've missed doing that so it'll be fun to be able to do it again. There are other benefits, too.

Sugar wet the bed twice last night, so now I'm doing tons of laundry and trying to figure out how to protect the bed and also minimize laundry when the inevitable happens. I think she can't get down from the bed at night due to the lack of light and that's a problem. I have night lights on for her but I don't think it's enough. Sota likes to sleep right in the spot where she has to jump off, too, and she won't jump on him, and lately if she gets up Chester or Jack often show up and rub against her chest when she wants to jump down, so she can't. I'd crate her but she'd never tolerate it and then I wouldn't get any sleep at all. I'll figure it out, since this ain't my first rodeo with old dogs. I feel so sorry for her. I think I'm going to start locking her out of the bedroom during the day though, since the cats probably keep her from jumping down in the daytime sometimes which could turn into a problem. She normally wants to be where I am so I don't think she'll miss it too much not being on the bed. She has nice soft pads in the LR and usually naps there all day.

The dill I planted in a dirt pot is growing! And the cilantro in dirt is sprouting. I really want some herbs in the kitchen in dirt. I need to start up some rosemary again, too. Our kitchen windows are on the northwest side of the house so I'm not sure how well things will do, but I'm not out much by trying. The two big windows are behind the AG counter though, so I can grow stuff in dirt from the spillover light once I get the three big AGs up and running. It's too soon for the two AG herb gardens to be doing anything but I'm looking forward to watching them.

To-do:
~eat right.
~finish Mom's curtain.
~make grocery lists.
~errands.
~donate dresser to GW and maybe microwave stand.
~dust dresser drawers out and double-check everything is empty.
~make salads.
~set up bento.
~make quiches.
~cut old bedspread in half to make pads for the bed. :sigh:
~get through three or four loads of laundry from the bed and remake the bed. :sigh:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I had a mini-dachshund whose mom was run over when he was in utero, only surviving pup. Sweet, sweet dog but he turned out to be brain damaged (vet assumed) because he could not learn things, going outside being the biggest challenge. I put a waterproof mattress pad on because dog stains would void the warranty. Then I brought home some large cloth with a rubber backing pads from when a patient died and the family wanted the "stuff" gone immediately. We cannot take stuff back so the pads would have been trashed so I did not feel bad taking them. You can get these at medical supply stores, completely leak proof and washable. I tried covering most of the bed with them but my other dog would bunch them up and push them over the edge of the bed, lol. So I just covered the spots he tended to use. He did pretty good at night, most nights were dry. Day time not so good, I had to crate him when I was at work, he ran into his crate and didn't seem bothered by it. The worst part was the carpets, they were old and I kept them another 9 yrs until I just couldn't stand it anymore. I had a carpet shampoo-er and found hydrogen peroxide undiluted worked best on stains and did not take away the color of the carpet. I did have laminate flooring and tile in the LR, DR, kitchen. Clean ups easy but if not caught right away, the laminate flooring started warping. Doggie diapers total fail and expensive.

Good luck, it's a hard thing to deal with. Would stairs for dogs that you put by the bed help her?

1921 - 1940 of 4061 Posts