Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry, I don't do thread crochet. I started a very basic one years ago which got put aside and buried somewhere. So I don't have any recommendations for crochet threads. Glad you and yours are finally feeling better, though.

I put aside my stashbuster afgan for the moment as well since I'm making another afgan for a friend. Got yarn for that afgan at about half off. I hope to get that done before the really warm weather hits. I do have the lightweight wool afgan to work on in the worst of the hot weather or scarves which don't cover my legs. I do admire you doing vintage and decorative patterns.

·
Registered
44 Posts
On a whim I sent a message to Maggie Weldon on Etsy and asked about it. She designs a lot of beautiful patterns. Come to find out, sport crochet cotton and size 3 thread are interchangable! Wish I had known that years ago :) She sent me a link to some thread on her website. One is moderately priced. The other is a bit more expensive but oh man, the color selection! I bet it is a lot more pleasant to work with too.
My husband compared it to cheap fishing line and quality fishing line. haha
I was impressed that she answered so helpfully.
I'm working on some floral dishrags now that she designed, 4 ply cotton, and enjoying that. My daughters love them. My niece has her kitchen decorated with daisies and sunflowers.
So when I finish with these I am going to get a pattern from her website for the vintage looking potholders. So darned cute!
I like to make the clothes for 18 inch dolls, too, and knowing about that thread has opened up a whole new world there, too.
So darned simple. Huh!

Coffee break, then mind the baby while husband takes a walk. Have to take my mom to the oncologist Friday. Next week is spring break. WOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!
But the school that my son-in-law teaches at has a different spring break later in April. This means I get 2 spring breaks! Life is good :)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for sharing the information about the crochet cotton and thread. I wouldn't have thought to contact someone from Etsy, although it's nice to know that someone is willing to do that. Then again, it sounds like you're a regular customer of hers, so she probably is willing to help out more than just some random person.

One of my favorite wool yarn vendor has fingering and laceweight yarns (Laceweight | Yarn Weight | Verdant Gryphon | The Verdant Gryphon) but they can end up being expensive, depending on how much is needed for a project. But I love them because they're dyed in small batches. So the colors are always changing, although they do sometimes have "throwback Thursdays" where they bring out old dye recipes/batches.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts