Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Grocery Budget Challenge!

Need some accountability? What are your goals for your grocery budget this year?

Let us know the number of people and make up of your household, whether you're including pet food, HBA, and paper or not, and anything else you think might be pertinent to your grocery budget that we might need/want to know!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have to totaling up December yet. I know I'm way over. After I do that I'll figure out what I'm going to set for January. I still have some stockpiling to do.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm in! I am hoping to spend $250 per month for DH, our two kids, and me. This includes HBA, paper, stockpile (roughly $5-$10/week) and everything. I figure that's about $62.50 a week, which I think is doable.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
871 Posts
Joining this challenge. I went over budget twice last year, only by a total of like $50 I think but my goal is not going over budget at all!!!

$400 not including HBA for a family of 5. It will be interesting as baby grows. That includes figuring out $500 for beef, $200 for chicken, $200 for pork, etc. that we buy in bulk. If your unframiliar we use under budget months to put that $$ into a stockpile fund and pay these bulk items with it. Usually. ;) so ideally I need to only spend about $325 a month. But then again come August/September we spend about $100 a month on groceries.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Well, I spoke too soon on the 2015 thread. The first shopping trip of the pay check that takes us into the new year will be tonight. Thankfully it is a short grocery list.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wrong year. Needed 2015

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wrong year. Needed 2015. Be glad when 2015 are unpinned. This is confusing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am determined to stay at $250mo which comes to about $58wk. I scan the ads and make a menu but this past year I just didn't stay on budget, too many good deals to pass up. I will stay focused.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm joining this year also. We have 3 adults and 2 teenagers eating. My goal for the year will be $5200 - or $100 weekly. This does not include HBA or Laundry/paper products, pet food. We budget $40 a month for that stuff.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am determined to stay at $250mo which comes to about $58wk. I scan the ads and make a menu but this past year I just didn't stay on budget, too many good deals to pass up. I will stay focused.
forgot.... this is 3 adults food only

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Curious how much we spend on groceries, dh does most of it these days and he buys the sale items.
He doesn't like to have strict budgets, but he agreed to give me the receipts so I can keep track in January. We don't really stockpile but our pantry and freezers do have plenty of food in them that we have gotten at good prices. We have 2 people to feed and a dog, 1 week a month we take care of a 25 year old respite client who has a big appetite. I will post how we are doing in January.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My budget is $250.00 every two weeks.
I would like to save $50 each payday for
52 week challenge.

I have $150 left from payday

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to join in on this too though I might not start at the beginning of the year. I'm just now trying to put together a budget and still need to determine how much I need to set for a food budget for the 3 of us and all of our critters.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm in! I really need to stick with the challenges this year. I post in January, a little in February, and then disappear.

This year I'm aiming for 400/month for 2 adults, 2 teens. I'm going to try to include HBA/paper goods in the amount. I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I'll allocate a separate amount for HBA.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This is going to be a big learning year for me where the grocery budget is concerned. It's just dh and I now at home and sadly I still cook like both kids are home. On one hand that means lots of leftovers but on the other hand that means lots of leftovers. I'd like to really cut back this year so to start my plan is $75 a week/$300 for the month! My grocery budget includes everything from h&b to paper products to pet food and regular food.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Well, I am starting at $500 a month, food only for 2 adults. I know I could easily feed us for that amount but I now need to look at it as feeding us for our health and I have lowered hubby's blood sugar levels to a normal range with food only( no meds!) Also, my priority is buying hubby's meat and animal products that are produced as humanly as I can find. I eat a veg diet so lots of cooking goes on here. Oh, and a great deal of what I buy is organic. I just looked up the usda cost of food. The most current chart shows for the 2 of us would be just under 500 for the low cost plan. If you have never looked at it they list thrifty, low cost, moderate and liberal. So at 500 a month for 2 people is $8.33 per person per day in a 30 day month. Going to try shopping and planning for 10 days at a time @ $125 per trip with the remaining $125 per month for stock up at Costco and azure standard.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I'm in. I am clearing the pantry this week/weeks to see where I am. I do $500. a month for 3 adults (DD only eats here about 1/2 the time). This incl. Health and beauty,Paper goods but not pet products. Any money left will go to the freezer fund I spent on groc. this year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am in. There are two of us and we have just adopted two small kittens. Our budget will include everything so with the new cats I am aiming for $350 CAD.

1 - 20 of 499 Posts