Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up for this one tell your goal for the year ( or month ) and what you're reading or listening to. Audiobooks are counted. A lot of people just don't have tme anymore for conventional reading. A lot have eye sight problems and just can't read the books. If you'd like you can tell a little about the book/CD and if you think others might also like it.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just started reading my Kindle before bed every night again. I am on GoodReads and plan to join their yearly challenge for 100 books in 2016. So I will post here too.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm in as well. Due to the neuro stuff that happened to me, I went from reading 2-3 books a week all of my adult life, to none over the course of a few weeks. Reading is much slower, harder and less satisfying because my memory is poor, I lose the plot from day to day. But reading was my "thing" and I want it back. So I try to read an hour a day, even if it's magazines, even if it's a poor memory day. So I'm gonna start with one book a month with a goal of 2 per month by mid-year and try to stay current with 3 magazines, going up to 5 by mid-year.

I am starting a book called Cutting Teeth by Julia Fierro tomorrow. In my mind, it looks like an "easy" novel, we'll see

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm on Goodreads as well and participate in their yearly challenge. My goal this year is 36 books or 3 books a month. I may surpass that easily as with a newborn I may find myself with more time to read (while feeding).

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have VERY lofty goals, but for this thread, I
am going for 4 per month. I belong to Shelfari
and Goodreads.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
My 2016 reading list...so far...

"The Rules of Wealth" Templar
"Conscious Money" P. Aburdene
"Blogging for Bliss" re-read
"Online Marketing for your Craft Business" Pullen
"The Art of Creative Thinking" Judson
"Desire to Inspire"
"The Collaborative Habit" Tharp
"Living the Creative Life"
"Coaching the Artist Within"
"Crucial Conversation Tools"
"Smart Women"
"The Right-Brained Business Plan" reread
"How to Start a Home-Based Etsy Business"
"Outlive Your Life" Lucado

·
Registered
20 Posts
Impressive calimomx2 :applouse:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
WOW Cali!!! That is a great accomplishment !!

I am going to set my goal to 100. I want to read
more but if I hit 100 I would be thrilled!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Bernice, have you tried reading short stories? If it is something short enough to read in one setting it might be good.

You can also increase your memory of things by writing about them or talking about them.

I do not have a goal for a set number of books, but I am going to try keeping a list of books I have read. I read both fiction and non fiction. I also want to start keeping notes on the books I have read. Many of the fiction books I read are part of series so it is a bit to keep track of.

I have some non fiction books I can read at work when it is slow. Some are even part of my official learning plan. The past few months have been busy at work, but things are slowing down. I think I will have more work time to read. I want to try to get back to reading an hour of non fiction (or more) at work.

I may include some magazines. I read things like Smithsonian and Scientific America. They are not quick reads.

I may ramble on a bit about some of my readings. The less embarrassing ones anyway.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Bernice I have quit reading too after being a very avid reader until 3 yrs ago. I got a Stephen King short stories for Christmas. My goal is just to start reading again now. And to cut back on tv.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get all my books from a connection to my library with my Kindle. So my reading challenge is frugal as well.
I'm starting this challenge with downloading 3 books this morning to start on this evening before bed. I'm not sure which I will start first.

1. Finders Keepers by Stephen King
  2. Someone Is Watching by Joy Fielding
  3. All The Things You Are by Declan Hughes

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
finished Cutting teeth in way less than a month but I did spend probably 2 hrs a day on it. It's been a few days since finishing and I remember the plot. I'm going to see how long that lasts.

started Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget. It's by a journalist who seems to be about my age so it's interesting to hear about her college years and just how often she blacks out. It makes me scared for her, she ends up waking up in strange places and I didn't know this about black outs; you can be in one but still be acting like the life of the party but you will remember nothing of what you did in those hours. I thought it meant just when you physically passed out. Makes me glad addiction is not one of my problems. She's such a smart, talented writer, you just want to shake her. There, remembered all that!

short stories are a great idea, thanks

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I'm still working on "The Rules of Wealth" by Richard Templar. Sometimes he's right on the money and sometimes I just want to shake him. :lol: But then, he's wealthy and I'm not. But I do have to keep reminding myself he's dealing with the American system and I'm not.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I decreased my reading goal this year to 15 books. I'm such a slow reader. This past year I read 25 books. My Goodreads goal was 26.

Right now I am reading The Rocks by Peter Nichols.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Four kids, full-time job, after school job, and I managed 60 in 2015. I'm hoping to match that in 2016. :) I have a shelf full of books I haven't gotten to yet and I have a few on my Kindle and a few on my Nook. Right now, I'm in the middle of binge watching some shows, so as soon as I finish, I'm back to the books! :)

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Right now, I am reading Crocodile on the Sandbank
by Elizabeth Peters and Go Tell it on the Mountain by
James Baldwin. Both good reads.

I am also going to start Awake My Soul by James
Martin SJ for discussion in an online group on Shelfari.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I'm currently reading "Rogue Lawyer" by John Grisham. I really enjoy his descriptions. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.