Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did really well on this in 2015, though I didn't get my new recipes posted here very often. I'm almost at 50 new recipes tried for this year so I think I'll aim for 52 new recipes to try in 2016---one every week which is really doable. It's been a great way to challenge myself to dust off all my cookbooks and put them to better use! I've come across new family favorites and have come to love baking as much as cooking! It will also help as I try to limit our out-to-eat spending even further this year. And home cooked meals are so much healthier!

Who is with me for this year?

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
I'll post but can't say I'll try one a week. I keep forgetting to record what I make, too. Yesterday I made a new WW recipe. https://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=286158600 I used pork instead of chicken because I had it left over. It's a keeper!

I also made a semi-new recipe. I subbed generic Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal for Rice Krispies and added chocolate chips to make bars. Pretty tasty!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Me! I've tried a few new ones this year but really want/need to do more next year. Like SD, I can't promise it'll be one a week, but I hope it'll be at least a couple of times a month.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The change in eating and Pinterest had us using lots of new recipes last year ( 2015) We found we like have a great variety. Hubby is getting so good at this (cooking and improvising) that he goes off recipe quite frequently. So we have change a few old favorites to become new improved liked better new favorites.

I want to try new recipes this year again.

Thank you for starting this thread of 2016.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I'm in, I can't promise every week either, I am kinda stuck on eating the same things, but am always looking for new things.
Thanks for starting this!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'll try for at least 2 a month so 24. I have plenty to choose from so it's a matter of just doing it.

Reactions: AspiringToBeFrugal

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I know it is not the first yet. But I could not resist posting the new recipie I tried today

Gingerbread coffee

Gingerbread Coffee - Kristine's Kitchen

I brewed it up in my French press and drank it with my homemade vanilla coffee creamer

Delightful

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
I made a new WW chicken noodle soup recipe for supper tonight. We haven't eaten yet but I tasted it and it's a keeper! I've been hungry for chicken noodle soup so this is nice.

Kim, many recipes are calculated already for four portions, so it should be easy to find recipes that are already scaled to your requirements. :) I can't recall if you've posted you don't like frozen/reheated meals, but if you don't mind that, extra portions can also go into the freezer if the meals would freeze well. I love having my own convenience foods waiting in the freezer for days when I don't want to cook for whatever reason. I freeze most things in single serving portions so they're easy to grab for Husby's lunches or my own. Just some ideas.

For healthier recipes, check out Weight Watchers recipes (many are online) that have been published within about the past five or six years. You don't have to be dieting to enjoy WW foods. I feed them to Husby all the time and he doesn't mind at all, even though he does not have a weight problem. WW used to use lots of diet foods that didn't taste so great but in recent years they've upgraded to lots of fresh ingredients, whole foods, and non-diet ingredients. Look for recipes that have similar ingredients to the ones you are looking to replace, and remember you can freely sub different herbs and spices without changing nutrients or calories. So if you find a basic recipe that's like your own recipe but it has different non-caloric flavorings, you can use the main ingredients of the WW recipe and just sub in the flavorings of your favorite recipe, as long as you're not adding calories by doing so. Just some ideas. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I agree about WW recipes. My favorite by far is for General Tso's Chicken and dh prefers this version over what is served at our local Chinese place.

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
Thanks, Terry. I've been meaning to try that recipe for a while now. I have WW Take Out Tonight cookbook which has that recipe, and have used it so much it fell apart. :) I haven't made that one though.

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
Do you think the General Tso's chicken would freeze well? I'm thinking if it did, it might make a nice convenience food that could be reheated quickly.

The recipe I made for supper is a definite keeper. It should freeze well, too, so can be added to my list of recipes for freezer meals. Husby liked it too.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Do you think the General Tso's chicken would freeze well? I'm thinking if it did, it might make a nice convenience food that could be reheated quickly.

The recipe I made for supper is a definite keeper. It should freeze well, too, so can be added to my list of recipes for freezer meals. Husby liked it too.
I would think so though I've never tried it.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am in too !!!!
I will try for 1 per month.

Reactions: AspiringToBeFrugal

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
I'm thawing out the chicken and have already diced some stuff for the General Tso's chicken. I'll make that tonight. I hope we like it. I'll freeze some to see how that works out. Hope Husby likes it. He's not a huge fan of spicy foods but his palate seems more tolerant lagely.

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
I hate it when I make typos and then can't change them. :( What's up with that on this forum anyway?

I made the General Tso's chicken and it's really good! Another keeper. I used half as much red pepper as the recipe called for and Husby said that was enough. Such a food wuss! But he liked it too. I can always add more heat to my own portion. I set some aside to freeze and I think it'll freeze just fine. I don't know why it wouldn't.

I served it over brown rice, and also added a can of sliced water chestnuts. I didn't have oyster sauce so subbed fish sauce, and used green pepper instead of red. It tastes the same but the dish would be prettier with red. But I used what I had. I didn't have cooking sherry either, so used chardonnay. Tweak, tweak, tweak. LOL. It was still pretty darn tasty. I don't know why it took me so long to try it.

I've gotten a lot of NTM WW cookbooks lately and have three more coming in the mail, too, so I could make new recipes all winter. If only I was that ambitious.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I hate it when I make typos and then can't change them. :( What's up with that on this forum anyway?

I made the General Tso's chicken and it's really good! Another keeper. I used half as much red pepper as the recipe called for and Husby said that was enough. Such a food wuss! But he liked it too. I can always add more heat to my own portion. I set some aside to freeze and I think it'll freeze just fine. I don't know why it wouldn't.

I served it over brown rice, and also added a can of sliced water chestnuts. I didn't have oyster sauce so subbed fish sauce, and used green pepper instead of red. It tastes the same but the dish would be prettier with red. But I used what I had. I didn't have cooking sherry either, so used chardonnay. Tweak, tweak, tweak. LOL. It was still pretty darn tasty. I don't know why it took me so long to try it.

I've gotten a lot of NTM WW cookbooks lately and have three more coming in the mail, too, so I could make new recipes all winter. If only I was that ambitious.
which recipe did you use? This is the one I use WeightWatchers.com: Weight Watchers Recipe - General Tso's Chicken

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
WW site is down again. They're rebuilding it and it's been bad lately. The recipe I used was in the Take Out Tonight cookbook. It does not have sugar or broth in it and the recipe does not call for rice.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts