Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm committing to spend more time with books and less time on Facebook in 2017, so this year, I'm aiming to read 36 books. I think three a month is reasonable. I have a wonderfully large To Be Read pile that is clamoring for my attention and a beautiful library we visit two to three times a week so I am not hurting for material!

What are your reading goals for the new year?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
My goal is to keep a record of what I read this year and to visit the library more often. I slacked off during the last several months and since my tax dollars help pay for it and I can't afford to buy new books, it just makes sense.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I admit to being very bad with keeping up with this challenge. I usually drop out quickly. Last year I was busy and then sucked into following the news cycle in the wild political year and read much less than I usually do. My goal for the year isn't a specific number of books but to re-establish the years long habit that crashed last year - to read every day while I drink a very leisurely morning cup of tea. I did read with tea last year, but it was news on the phone. No more of that. I have collected over the last two or three years a "retirement library" and I'm retired so it's time to start reading it.

I also have a substantial backlog of audiobooks to listen to that I want to catch up on. My rule is to buy no books this year, but I will probably renew my Audible membership since I am addicted to audiobooks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My goal for this is 150+.

I belong to 6? reading groups on Goodreads.

1 group has books from a specific list (1001)
which I really don't care for a lot of them. But
I like the group a lot, so I am reading what I
want of it.

The rest I can choose the books that I want
to read. My goal is no new physical books and
serious curtail the purchase of e-books as well.

In order to make my goal, I need to read 3+
books per week. Which means not so much
computer and tv.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have been so focused these last several years on building my side business that most of my reading has been related to that - study books, business books, etc. This year I will likely continue that, but I'd like to also commit to reading one pleasure book per month.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My goal for this is 150+.

I belong to 6? reading groups on Goodreads.

1 group has books from a specific list (1001)
which I really don't care for a lot of them. But
I like the group a lot, so I am reading what I
want of it.

The rest I can choose the books that I want
to read. My goal is no new physical books and
serious curtail the purchase of e-books as well.

In order to make my goal, I need to read 3+
books per week. Which means not so much
computer and tv.
WOW! :vs_clap: I applaud this goal! I heard a speaker at a conference one time who said he read two books a week. That is my goal someday.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to reorganize my kids' books, but I've come to the realization that I need to rein in my spending on books for them and for myself. We have so many we've never even touched!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I finished my first book of the year last night. So
far so good. I have several going so hope to finish
a couple more this week.

Thanks FrugalWAHM ! I don't usually read several
books at a time, but I am trying it out.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Listening to "Small Great Things" by Jodi Picoult. Love it so far. "Ruth" is read by Audra MacDonald. I see they are going to make this into a movie.

G

·
I'm in! I'm trying to increase the number of books I read for me ( usually I'm reading to the one to each kid plus a family book) but they are all kids books- which I do love but it's not the same as reading adult books. I don't have a number in mind but I think I'm averaging 3 a month in E books available thru my library plus a paperback. So an improvement but I used to read that many a week!

G

·
Oh and I meant to also say I loved Jodi Picoult's My Sisters Keeper. I didn't realize how many others she's written since then!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you all do his year? I exceeded my goal and read 38/36 books. I have another couple that I'm trying to finish up so I may end up around 40 for the year!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I'm not sure how many I read this year, both paper and ebooks, but it was quite a few. DH keeps buying books so we still have a pile to get through in 2018.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Haven't really kept track of how many books I've read this year alone but most of them have been non-fiction. I do need to start reading fiction again. Then again, I ~have~ started writing again. So that's a good thing. Maybe that will get me back into reading fiction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts