Frugal Village Forums banner

2017 Try New Recipes Challenge

12K views 122 replies 13 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
I recently realized that I have at least a dozen cookbooks I haven't even opened this year AND a huge divided file folder filled with recipes I've cut out of magazines that haven't been looked at in almost two years. The insanity has to stop! So, I'm making it my goal to try a minimum of 52 new recipes in 2017. This seems doable for me as my other challenges are to 1) plan my menu every single week this year, and 2) only eat out once per week or less. Between meal prep and baking, I can surely hit this goal easily!

How about you? How many new recipes are you willing and able to try? One a week? One a month? Six for the whole year? Whatever your goal is, join me in this challenge! Provide links to your new recipes if you can and let us know what you thought or how it turned out!

#3 ·
I am soaking pinto beans to make a bean soup I got off youtube. I've never worked w/ dry beans before. I got spicy brats I am going to de-case and fry up to drop in. I will sweat the onion but I think no garlic cloves I'll use garlic powder because we both tolerate it better. It calls for black beans and I will use the canned I have this time. We shall see. I am opting for chicken broth over Veg.

#5 ·
With a new kitchen I have no excuse not to cook more and try new recipes. I won't commit to a certain number or time frame but will try some new recipes. My inertia comes from not enjoying cooking and mostly wanting to just get it over with as soon and easily as possible, which does not lend itself to getting out cookbooks and collecting ingredients and doing "deliberate" cooking. However, I will try to do better this year. Perhaps the thread will inspire me. Something needs to!

#6 ·
WOW! I just finished making my menu for the first two weeks of the year and I already have four new recipes on the list!

First two weeks of January (the meals marked with a * are new recipes I'm trying--working toward 52 new recipes tried for the year) including:
Ham & Swiss Stromboli
Cashew turkey salad sandwiches
Apple Chicken Curry
Buttery Radish Baguette

All are recipes from Simple & Delicious magazine (trying to use more recipes from those magazines as well as my cookbooks to justify my subscription!). I'll let you know how they go!

#9 ·
I'm trying for at least 2 new recipes a month so 24 for the year. Last night I made corn muffins. I had a recipe I really liked but they just did not hold up and I would end up with a plate of crumbs. This new recipe was very good, dh gave it two thumbs up. It made 12 muffins, baked about 25mins.

The Best Cornbread Recipe {from scratch}

Reactions: FrugalWAHM
#11 ·
Yesterday I made a new WW mac and cheese recipe. I've been looking for a great one to have with the salisbury steak recipe I hadn't found yet. It was okay and has some potential. I think I'll be able to cut back on the points by tweaking the recipe. I also made salisbury steak from a new recipe and I think I have a winner.

I made frozen breakfasts for Husby using a new whole wheat buttermilk pancake recipe. He tried one last night and loved it, so that's a keeper. I'll have to watch ads for buttermilk now. The recipe makes more than I need for the breakfasts so I'll have some extra pancakes left from each batch to freeze for quick meals or snacks for him, too.

#12 ·
So after a horrible cold knocked me down for a few days, I'm finally feeling back to normal and wanted to post some of the new recipes I've tried so far! Three toward my goal of 52!

I had everything needed to make this delicious curry the other night. Other than the chopping, this was a very quick recipe to make. I would make it again. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-chicken-curry

For a super simple, economic meal that is a real crowd pleaser, I would highly recommend this sandwich. I'll be making two at a time in the future since we ate the one I made so quickly! Ham & Swiss Stromboli Recipe | Taste of Home

I was looking for a new pancake recipe and this fit the bill. Quick to pull together and absolutely delicious. Pancake Stack with Syrup Recipe | Taste of Home

#13 ·
Not a recipe exactly, but I think I've perfected brown rice in the microwave. Tonight it turned out perfect using two cups each of water and brown rice, then just use the rice setting. I've been having trouble with it being too watery or too dry, so I'm happy about this development. :)

#14 ·
I have a new WW bean soup recipe in the Crock for supper right now. It tastes great! I used leftover ham from last night (I'm going to take another salt hit tomorrow) the last of the baby carrots, and a can of white beans that need to be used up, among other things. The recipe called for pork loin but hey, ham is pork, right? :D All fat has been removed so I don't think there's a big difference except for the sodium. But I've been so hungry for bean soup and figured it was better to use a WW recipe than something more dangerous. I used a half pound less meat than the recipe called for to help compensate, and I'll add in the leftover Brussels sprouts from last night to help cut the sodium per serving and add some veggies and color.

#20 ·
I made the WW fudge pops SD posted quite a while ago. For being on a diet and/or watching sugar intake they were really good but I sure miss the creaminess of the milk. I'm thinking next time adding a bit of sugar-free creamer and see how that works.

#21 ·
I wonder if fat-free evaporated milk would be good. Not sure if that has sugar. Or fat-free half and half. I haven't made those yet myself. Or maybe I did. I can't remember. Now I'm trying to remember what cookbook they were in. LOL.

#24 ·
Made this last night, the sauce was very good but I didn't care for the pork. Maybe I'm spoiled, I usually have ribs or sirloin chops and everything else just seems so dry and/or tough. I think this sauce would very good with chicken wings or even BS thighs.

Glazed Asian Pork Medallions Recipe | Taste of Home

#25 ·
Yea, me! I settled on a final recipe for WW chili and remembered to write it down after making it this time. The original cost 6 points, but my adjustments resulted in a 4-point recipe! Nice! Now I can add a slice of American cheese in it when I get bored. I love cheese in my chili. I guess it's not exactly a new recipe but I'll claim it anyway. :) The new recipe makes eight servings instead of six, too, so that's a bonus.

#29 ·
Yeah, you can put almost anything in there. I have done LO chicken pot pie, roast beef, corned beef + veggies, bbq, chinese pork, and ground lamb with spices. And after they are baked they can be frozen.

Reactions: wunsagin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.