Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many new goals that I want to achieve this year in many different areas of my life..Will post them at a later date but wanted to get this thread started.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
I have 3 primary, achievable goals for 2018.

1. restore my health. This means returning to yoga and dance, regaining strength and stamina. I can do this before August.

2. restore the yard. We skipped most of the spring and fall maintenance in 2017. There will be a lot of agressive weeding and cutting this spring. This includes the vegetable garden.

3. don't get hurt doing any of the above. I have a tendency to over estimate my ability and end up pulling a muscle, tendon, etc. and sitting out several months not being able to do anything.

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
Husby and I need to reclaim our health, too.

Get the garage sort, purge, and organize project done. We had a good start till the preliminaries for the Halloween Horror started.

As part of the above, we want to get the ceiling in the garage installed and insulated. A lot depends on if Husby is up to it or not.

Get the dock area set up the way we want it, so it's easier to use our HydroBikes.

Finish resealing the cabin roof.

Get the inside of the house rearranged so it functions better.

Rebuild the pantry and the pot rack to make more efficient use of space.

I'm sure we'll come up with more ideas and also make changes to the priorities as situations change. That's what always happens. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm at a relatively good place at work, but need to work on my email inbox and task lists. Maybe reread "Eat that frog" to avoid procrastinating, as that is costing me a lot of mental energy.

Keeping the house in order is a constant fight. I will have a discussion with DH on what our targets should be. Probably something related to decluttering and the unopened boxes in the attic from when we moved in here 3 years ago.

Accepting my body as it is, and getting away from a body focused upbringing, has been more important for me than reducing my weight. I've finally worked through most of those issues, and think I'm ready to focus on getting a more healthy body. I can't join the "loose a pound" thread, that will take me back to where I don't want to be. But I will try to find a way to exercise more and eat less sugar without spiraling.

The financial goals are set in the 25/12/2018 thread.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Get back to a mostly plant based diet
Amp up my exercise routine
Start replacing savings account
Continue to save/plan for retirement
Make a bigger garden
Try more recipes for plant based diet
Train devil dog

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
I need to flesh them out more, but my categories for 2018 are going to be my finances, meal planning, reading, my health, selling off my extra stuff to minimize the “stuff” around here and make some money, and create an organization system for DH and the home office, because that room is going to be the death of me.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Hey SD! Houdini would have been a good name for him. :) Although he didn't show us his wanderlust side until we had him a couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
Both of ours are runners, so we have to watch them like a hawk. Almost a year ago Storm escaped and took off running after a deer. He went out onto the lake and ran at least five miles. At the time, he had a broken leg with an external fixator on it, and strict instructions from his surgeon that he was not allowed to run. :sigh:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Oh my gosh! :vs_shocked: Yes, Ove too is a runner. We live just after dead mans curve and he ran out to the road and was running down the middle of a black topped road. He is black and low to the ground. A car would never have seen him, mind you the two crazy people chasing after him! He did this three times. I joke that we now live in a maximum security facility. He also has to wear a cone when he goes out in the warm months, if I can't watch him, because he can dig under the fence in no time. Can't get out with a cone on his head! (DH came up with that one)

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
Great idea about the cone! That's genius. Poor Ove. But it's for his own darn good.

We still can't believe Storm didn't do further damage to his leg, running in crusty snow and on islands full of brush, rocks, and downed trees. His leg was wet, something else we were told not to allow to happen, and he had some twigs underneath the sleeve I had made for him to keep him from licking the fixator so he didn't have to wear a cone for nine straight weeks.

Other than that and being very tired, cold, and very ready to go home, he was fine. We were so sure we would never see him again, a dog with a broken leg in the snow and cold and deep woods in January, surrounded by wolves, coyotes, and other hazards, when he suddenly appeared out of the darkness in front of our truck as we drove home after hours of searching. He jumped right into the truck and sat under the steering wheel and refused to move. Poor boy. His adventure wasn't so much fun by then. This is the fixator he had on his leg at the time. It was perfectly set up to catch on tree branches or anything else sticking out to wedge under it. We were very, very lucky to get him back at all and especially to get him back without being injured further .

The things we go through for our pets! :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
My 2018 goals:

My Business:
Work half the hours while doubling my income.
Publish at least one online course.
Add at least 1-2 new revenue streams.

Travel:
Have fabulous trips to London and Hawaii (and possibly other tbd destinations).
Plan a few short weekend getaways / day trips during year.

Lifestyle:
Incorporate healthier meals and a little exercise each week.
Continue having balance between personal and professional life.

Marriage/Family:
Show my husband my appreciation for his efforts on a regular basis.
Demonstrate my love for him in concrete ways.
Ensure my MIL is taken care of as needed and help her to enjoy life.
Stop and enjoy our kitties regularly.
Keep in touch with my siblings a bit more.

Simplifying:
Declutter at least 200 items from my home.
Get home office better set up.

Debt:
Pay off the windows we installed in Sept. by Dec. 31, 2018
Pay as we go to ensure no new debt is incurred.

2018 is going to be an amazing year. I'm very excited for it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
SD, I got anxiety just reading about Storms escape! I don't handle stress well, I would have been a complete basket case if that was my dog. I am very glad to hear that it all ended well on all accounts, finding him and that he didn't hurt his leg worse...............or one of the eight hundred other things that could have happened to him! (he is a beautiful dog)

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
We were basket cases that night, for sure. Terrified and in tears and frustrated.

It was a year ago today he got hurt. His leg slipped between two steps as he was running into the house, and he just snapped it. Luckily he's made a full recovery and all he has to show for it is four little scars on his leg where the pins were. He had a clean break that healed well, so he still even has his perfectly tilted duck feet that point out on each side, so cute. He got loose for his little escapade three weeks later, I think, so he wasn't nearly healed yet. It was awful. We were so heartsick as we drove home, thinking we would never see him again. Husby had been out on the lake in the snow and cold trying to find him, dressed in slip-on moccasins and a sweatshirt, so he was wet and freezing. I was just freezing because I had been running around and driving around trying to find him, too. We had just lost Sota and Sugar and Jack and then there we were, unable to locate our crippled dog on a very cold night with so many dangers facing him that his survival overnight was unlikely. I don't know how we were able to find him because if he hadn't hopped out onto the road right at the leading edge of our headlights, we probably wouldn't have seen him and driven right by. He wasn't where we expected him to be at all, so we weren't really looking for him. He had circled around and gotten behind us somehow. We think he might have been heading home and heard the truck, so came to meet up with us.

We'll be forever grateful we got him back. We think he's a handsome lad, too. :) He's a total brat and very LOUD but he's a sweetheart at the same time. He's finally getting into adulthood now so has calmed down a lot, although he can still be a drama queen.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Last year I was all over the place with various different goals. I kept changing my mind a lot.

I am going simple this time and just choose two things.

1. First is the great shoe project. I in the process of learning how to make shoes. My goal is one pair made each month for 2018. I have patterns but I need to tweak the patterns to fit. My feet are a nonstandard size - short but extra wide. The margin of error for fit is more strict than for clothes. If clothes are a little loose it is okay. If shoes are a little loose then my feet slide right out. I have made a few stabs at this before, but have not kept with it. This is an exercise in persistence.

2. Exercise. I could go on a rant about how difficult it is for me to loose weight, but I think I will just skip that. I will just say that I already exercise but I am trying to add strength training in an effort to help my sluggish metabolism. The plan is little 5 minute exercise breaks during the day for strength training. (My other exercise is in longer chunks.) I am starting out with at least 10 minutes (two exercise bites) per day and working up to 30 minutes (6 exercise bites) per day.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Wow SD, that is quite the story. He is a VERY lucky boy. I have a soft spot for the brats, they always end up being my favorites and they supply the best stories. I have a perfect dog and there is nothing ever to say about him, which is why he never gets mentioned much. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,695 Posts
Hahaha! It's kinda the same with Shadow. She's a quiet girl. She talks a lot but in a quiet voice, not like Storm AKA Foghorn. She's a sweet girl.

I guess this thread got yanked off track. Sorry about that, everyone.

As for my goals and dreams, I want a vacation! We did not get to use our camper at all last year, very little the year before, not at all the year before that, so now one of our goals is to go somewhere for a week or two and take some shorter weekend trips, too. We want to do the Lake Superior Circle Tour, maybe go to Niagara Falls, finally get to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, go to one or more of our state parks during the right season to walk the bogs and see the wild orchids blooming, and do some other shorter trips around the state. We won't get all that done, but I hope we get to do some of it. We'd like to get back to Yellowstone again too and finally see the Lamar Valley. That's a dream. It's going to be a busy year again, but maybe we'll be able to go somewhere nearby at least.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts