Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aiming to try 52 new recipes in 2018. I hope most of these will become family favorites and will find a spot on our regular menu rotation. I'll post links to the recipes I try here if possible. I would love to see what your goals are. Are you aiming to try new recipes? Switch up some old family favorites? Start cooking more at home?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
! am in for 12 one each month.I have a lot of recipes i have never tried lot of them is for desserts but will try some main dishes to.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I'm basically obligated to try new recipes now, because of Husby's heart attack requiring greater diligence in avoiding bad stuff that encourages another heart attack, namely salt, sugar, cholesterol, and bad fats. I'm actively looking for new recipes for a variety of things, plus learning more about the Mediterranean way of eating, plus having bought several new American Heart Association cookbooks lately. I'm hoping cooking better foods for Husby will help me lose weight and do better, too. Luckily a lot of the new guidelines are things we've done for years already, so the adjustment to a new permanent eating plan is a lot less than it might have been. :)

Currently I'm working on finding different recipes for some of our food staples we've used for years, like a new non-fat biscuit master mix. I'll post if I find something good.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would like to try at least 24 new recipes this year.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The recipe looks good but I'd have to find something to replace the coconut oil for something healthy.

I still haven't gotten to looking at the bag instructions. But the bread is having a nice sauna in the oven for it's final rise, so that will be done soon. We'll have the leftover shrimp and corn soup with garlic ciabatta bread for supper. :)

It's snowing like crazy here, but I don't think it's supposed to last very long.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
After years of procrastinating about it, I finally made olive loaf. It turned out good! Too salty but otherwise good. I'll be making it again since we've given up deli meats now.

This is the recipe except I used a pound of lean ground pork and a pound of lean ground turkey to make a half batch. The original recipe in the book is for three pounds of pork and two pounds of turkey, but I'm going to flip that when I make full batches.
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/pork/dutch-loaf-lunceon-meat.html

I used a food processor per the instructions, but I think in the future I'll use the KA mixer. It breaks ground meat down nicely so it's pretty fine, just using the regular beater. I used a half cup of stuffed green olives which was about the right amount for a half batch. The olives could be why the loaf turned out too salty.

I love it when I find a good new recipe, but I hate it when I've intended to make a recipe for years and never done it. I've wasted all this time!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Correction: The recipe I linked to above did call for beef, not turkey. I completely blanked that out when I looked at the recipe online but I did check with the cookbook later. I subbed turkey and plan to continue to do that.

I tried a piece of the olive loaf again this morning now that it's fully chilled, and it's still really good. I'm going to try making some other kind of sausage again soon. It's so dang easy! And by DIYing, we can avoid the nitrates and nitrites and all the additives nobody is supposed to eat as well as a lot of the fats and sodium.

I don't know that we'll be able to exactly duplicate store-bought lunch meats and deli meats, but if we can find HM varieties we like just as well, that's going to make it much easier to stick with our healthier eating plan.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The alleged salami tastes good but it's more like meatloaf. In fairness I did change the recipe quite a bit, so I'll have to try again.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I tasted the salami again. It's been aging in the fridge a couple days or so now. It does taste like salami, but it's too dry. I'm adding more fat to it and also will double the seasonings in it to see if that helps any.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Going for two today -- Pepperoni Pizza Soup is in the crockpot now and I just fired the bread machine up for these https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/other-bread/foccacia-bread-sticks-bread-machine-recipe.html

Seemed like a perfect pairing on this cold snowy day. I'll report back if they were a success.
The bread sticks, eh. Needs a bit of work but I think it's easier just to find another recipe.

The pizza soup was wonderful! I used tortellini and that was the only change I made. Can't wait to make it again.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pepperoni-pizza-soup

Yesterday in a fb group I'm in someone posted the ingredients for a recipe they found of their g-grandmother's. It turned out to be this wonderful caramel type cake that I will definitely make again.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings

https://thecookful.com/bake-chicken-wings-crispy/

I made these for a gathering with friends last night. They came out well and I would definitely do them again. Changed things slightly, I had 12 wings (24 pieces) slightly more than called for, and used twice the amount of salt (Seasoned Salt actually) and baking powder. They did not come out salty, surprisingly. I cut off extra skin and fat while preparing them, too. You'll want to turn these over about half way or one side will not get crispy. I put bbq sauce on mine.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Not a new recipe, exactly, but I figured out the best way (for us) to make microwave popcorn in a plain paper bag. That way, we can have micro popcorn in the camper without having to give up space for a popper and still avoid all the fat and salt and other stuff in micro popcorn from the store.

I popped the popcorn in the microwave, poured it into a bowl, sprayed it with cooking spray, and sprinkled on garlic powder and black pepper. Tasty!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I made fish sticks in the air fryer last night using a new recipe, and they turned out great. I'll be experimenting with freezing them for quick meals at some point.

I also made a pineapple-orange vinaigrette dressing for Husby, which he liked, so I can add that to the HM dressing recipes I'm trying to collect so we can do better avoiding bottled dressings.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I tried out the HM refried bean mix for lunch in tortillas. I can't say it's a hit, but it has potential. It's too bland and too runny this time. Next time I'll use less water, unless it thickens up quite a bit more when it's completely cool. I'll double the seasonings in the mix next time, too and see if that helps. I really want this to work because refried beans from the store always have way too much fat and salt. I'd like to be able to use the HM mix for quick meals while we're traveling. If it's thick enough, it could be made into bean wraps for lunches on the road. I'll keep tinkering with the mix.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
SD, when I make refried beans I take out most of the water before mashing them and add it back in as needed.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts