Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1614 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
We cooked 1.5 pounds of black eyed peas overnight in the crockpot with hm ham broth. Today I added lo ham from Christmas. It was too salty so I added a few diced potatoes and they soaked up a lot of the extra salt. We ate this for breakfast. lol I saved all the ham scraps to feed to the cats and dog as a treat.

I took 2 small containers of lo hm sauerkraut with ham hock out of the freezer for lunch. We ate it with a few slices of butter bread from a loaf of hm bread that was given to us. Supper will be lo.

No spend, no drive. Instead we spent 2 hours cleaning up leaves. The yard looks a lot better but we still have a long way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
I had the shrimp I had planned for Xmas dinner for my NY dinner. Made some yellow rice and coleslaw to go with. Invited my neighbor to join me, she was sleeping when I texted but came over for leftovers later. I used the shells to make shrimp stock and will try a shrimp bisque tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sleet mixed with rain today. Making potato soup tonight with my 99 cent bag of potatoes mixed with lo mashed potatoes for thickening. Will make cornbread to go with it. Finished reading a free paperback and starting another. Doing laundry and making a grocery list for later in the week.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Just very cold and grey here. Going to the gym and then coming home. Potato soup sounds really good. We are having stewed green beans and tuna salad sandwiches. DH is going to try and get movie passes from work so we can go out tonight.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Had a good score at Walgreen's today. Stopped to get something for DH and saw holiday flavored protein bars marked down in the christmas aisle so I got a couple. Register spit out a $3 off coupon for the brand, so I went back and was able to get a bunch more for free! And another $3 coupon.

Also they have $29 Yankee Candle gift sets marked half price. I'm going to check in a few days and see if they go lower.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I worked on finances from 2018 this morning and our monthly expenses were down across the board except for 2 of my line items. So now I can set a budget for this year. Anticipating fewer big expenses this year since we got a really good vehicle last year and we've paid off our attorneys' fees for various legal issues. My grocery expenditures were down because we have made a concerted effort to waste less food.

No money spent so far this year :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had lunch at my grandparents’ with my mom, uncle, and 7 year old cousin. Went grocery shopping on my way home and I’m gonna fold laundry before I go to bed.

Six people died in a large train accident on Denmark’s largest bridge this morning :vs_sob: Nobody I know was on the train. The authorities still aren’t sure why it happened.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/02/europe/denmark-train-crash-intl/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/...lights&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront

·
Super Moderator
19,749 Posts
I just saw that 2 minutes ago here on TV, Tine. They said something flew off a freight train due to high winds in a storm, and hit the passenger train which forced it to brake suddenly. Of course I have no way to know if all that is true. It looked like a terrible accident.

I used stuff on hand to make a new couch quilt for Husby. I used 3 fleece remnants for the back.
20190102_122318_1546471330944.jpg
I had 2 wolf panels and stash fabric and thread for the front.
20190102_122426_1546471545257.jpg
I like how it turned out, and I'm happy to have put some of my stash to use.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful, SD. The embroidery piece I’m doing is slow intricate work, but I will finish it this month. Still raining and cold here. Going to work in the costume room today. Trying to help get it organized. Got sad news that one of my homeless clients that I saw every Monday was hit by a train and killed Sunday. Her memorial is this Sunday. My frugal thing today is to cook the rest of rice in pantry and add it to lo red beans from the fridge and finish off lo cornbread from yesterday for tonight’s dinner.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
SD - That's beautiful!!

Yesterday and today I brought leftovers to work for lunch. Last night was lo for supper. I'm already tired of black eyed peas and we have 3-4 more servings to go, might need to freeze the rest.

I filled the car with gas last night and grumbled at my DH for not filling it up when he went to town on New Years Day. I paid $2.38/gallon, that's $0.60/gallon more than he would have paid.

It poured down rain all day yesterday (4-6"), all night last night and it's supposed to rain all day today (4-6"), tonight, and tomorrow....The ground is saturated and trees have fallen across the road on my route to work. I'm ready for this place to dry out!

·
Super Moderator
19,749 Posts
I'm sorry about your friend, GB.

Stay safe, LL.

I made my WW crack pretzels, so I have those for breakfast and snacks, premeasured to help prevent bingeing.

I also mixed up a new batch of nearly salt free taco seasoning using pantry items.

Worked on the 9 patch quilt using cheap thread and fabric from GW.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Beautiful and sunny here, and above freezing! I got a sewing project done this morning and plan to go out and enjoy the day. Freezer chili thawing for dinner, l/o cornbread to go with that.

Popped online this morning to pay property taxes, noticed our 2017 tax on the house did not go up, and valuation on the cars went down, saving us about $30 compared to the year before. Which isn't a lot, but considering all the work the city does NOT do around here it's ok. We were officially declared a "derelict" neighborhood last year. Really it's not so bad, and if the city would fix the roads, signs, street lights, and get on people who don't keep up their property it could be a lot nicer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had lunch with my mom today and helped her put away Christmas decorations in the attic. I dropped things off at a thrift store and bought some underwear on sale.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
1-3 It is cloudy little warmer today suppose have more rain move in tonight.Only frugal thing i am doing is staying home and eating left overs.Trying get some things put away i got over the holidays.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I have started putting away the holiday decor a little at a time. Will get the last of it packed up this weekend I think.

Had a nice day out window shopping. Passed by most temptations. Got a pair of jar candles and some holiday snacks at 70% off at Bed Bath. Saw gasoline for $1.79 at a local station.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Deposited rolled coins at bank. I got a ham today $.99/lb (been planning to get one). New microwave is supposed to arrive Friday. Going to mix up cookie dough to bake Saturday and biscuits to freeze unbaked. I thought of using a round plastic container to stack raw biscuits in separated by wax paper. Just bake a few as needed or top a pot pie. Ground beef on sale so I plan to make up several meat loaves and freeze.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yay! The sun is out and tomorrow it’s suppose to be 69. Only in Texas. Not much happening here today. Need to hit Kroger for deals and today’s freebie. Think I’m going to make doll clothes that I have cut out.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Sunny here and supposed to get into the 50's today. Should be a nice day to go out. Want to swing by Aldi for a couple things. We are meeting friends for an evening in and I am going to take a few snacks. Already have crackers and summer sausage, and cheese. Thinking of getting a bagged salad, and maybe making stuffed jalapenos if I find some nice peppers. Been craving seafood so I want to see who has the best price on shrimp.

Printed out my free desk calendar for January, on the back of some old paperwork. Dug out my 2013 wall calendar and will be reusing it this year as the days are exactly the same.

Other than that, not much going on. Got to do some housework, and start taking down holiday decorations.

1 - 20 of 1614 Posts