Frugal Village Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1614 Posts

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Bookworm, how frustrating to have to return food. And they always try to blame you for it.

It is cool and breezy here. Was 67 this morning, hard to believe it is the middle of summer. We should be baking, but I'm not complaining. We are going out to the city cultural festival this evening and it should be beautiful weather.

We heard thunder all night but it doesn't look like we got much rain. I will need to water again this week.

I am also going to a free presentation on cooking with summer vegetables being held at our community garden. They have a new girl doing it, so there will be some fresh recipes. I'm going to take some of my little tomatoes to share.

I think I have just about enough time to look through the grocery ads before that starts.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Super Moderator
19,744 Posts
You have to be careful about food packaging that's been opened. There's a fad lately where people will open pkgs and then lick the food, put the lid back on, and put it back on the store shelf. They have a friend record the crime (yes, it's a crime, tampering with food) and then they post to social media to share their big accomplishment. I saw one where the woman opened mouthwash, took a swig, rinsed her mouth, then spit it back in the bottle and put it back on the shelf. Wow, so impressive, right? I guess they're too stupid to develop real hobbies. Saw another one where someone opened an ice cream carton, took a big disgusting lick, and put it back. Of course, they think they're hilarious. SMDH. ☹

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
I used to work in retail. Product tampering is nothing new. They're just recording themselves and posting to social media now. Used to be that people were not aware of it happening (unless you worked in the store and saw it every day), now it makes the news. Does anyone remember why Tylenol put tamper evident seals on their bottles?

Had lunch at the community garden. Tomato salad, cucumber salad, succotash with corn, beans, squash, etc, asian eggplant stir fry, "guacamole" made with zucchini, and more. Everything fresh picked, and sooo good. I even ate a piece of okra and didn't gag, though I didn't go back for seconds. Was able to talk with other gardeners about what is growing well this year and what is not. It's very irregular around town.

Looks like we are getting a 2nd round of storms late tonight. Hope we get rain for the garden.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I dismantled the old sofa cushion and cut a piece of padding for the crate seat, squared off the fabric I'm using to cover. Need to find the staple gun and extra pair of hands (if hubby is available later.) I'll remove & save the long zipper from the cushion. Upholstery fabric is not worth saving.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Returning is a pain...but had no problems....I got to Aldi's quite often so the milk wasn't a problem....the ribs I only went to that store as I had a $3 off coupon....and have to admit since I didn't have my receipt I didn't mention the coupon....it would have just caused problems with the return. Today I had to go back to Aldi's AGAIN, different store, because I purchased a goat cheese log and the sign said $1.99 and they changed me $3.99....I went back today and took picture of the sign and they gave me back my $2....had to pick up a script right across the street so it wasn't out of my way.

Ran to Kroger and got 4 lbs. of frozen shrimp, cheese, and juice that was on sale today and tomorrow. So, wasn't a thrifty day...the shrimp was on sale for $4.77 a pound, sold in two lb. packages...cheese was .99 a package and juice was 12 pack for $3.99...

People messing with food is a big thing and in fact, someone took a bite of Blue Bell ice cream at a Kroger's store around the corner....Not the Kroger's I go to...just don't like the surroundings at that one...People really need to get a life...saw on the news some lady peed on the potatoes!!! That I don't understand....had a guy at the 99 cent store light the bread on fire a few months ago...(they knew who he was and he is mentally ill)…..strange people....

CH your lunch sounds delicious....nothing like fresh veggies....I can't do okra either....

Stopped at Walgreens for scripts and got 3 tubes of Crest and was suppose to get $7 register rewards back but it didn't print so I have been on the phone trying to get my $7....had coupons also so when I get my $7, it would be free....I may just take it back and have them rering it....dealing with the Catalina department is a pain...

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I am at dad's today. Menu today is HB eggs, potato salad, and applesauce cake. There are chicken nuggets in the freezer but I think he will be happy with what I plan. I started sewing a simple top last night, brought it here to do the hand hemming. Sewing machine was acting up last night so did not get as far as I would have liked. I can probably finish it Sunday. Need to groom niece's dog, she looks a mess.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
when you think people can't be more stupid they prove you wrong. like why would think it was ok to lick things people are buying. hope everyone is ok. we got back from our trip yesterday still jet lagged. got chinese food yesterday so made some rice in the rice cooker to go with the leftovers today. ds is away so it lasts a lot longer. we went to michaels to use 45% off coupons got new yarn and clearance yarn plus 80% off gnome for the front planter. was up very early so just doing laundry. dh had cleaned the house before I got home so doesn't need cleaning. tub does but ds can do it

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Did a bit of grocery shopping this morning, threw together a fruit salad, and spent the afternoon with friends. It was a potluck lunch. For dinner I raided the vegetable drawer and chopped up onions and garlic from the garden, some yellow squash, mushrooms, a couple ears of corn, tomatoes and basil from the garden, and tossed in a can of black eyed peas. It was kind of like succotash. Toasted some leftover french bread I had in the freezer. DH doesn't like food all mixed together, but he went back for seconds. We have leftovers for tomorrow or a work lunch next week.

This week is going to be a lot of leftovers and eating up what we have in the fridge before we go on vacation.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I shopped 1 grocery store this morning. Probably go to 2nd store mid-week. Going to make and freeze 2 meatloaf, maybe some cookie dough. Used almost all HM cake mix yesterday so make another batch. It makes a good basic cake and my brother is not picky.

SD - Leo Kottke (Minnesotan) is playing locally in November, I am driving to the box office today to get tickets. Basic ticket cost OK but ordering by internet was $13.50/ticket surcharge - robbery!!!! I had most of his records as LP. Going to see if I can get CDs relatively inexpensive.....

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Planning a nice quiet day at home. One of the local stores has eggs for .49 this week, want to get a couple dozen, so I will probably end up going out. DH ate the last of the cereal last night, too. And we're about out of cat food. Need to stop thinking about it or I will just come up with more stuff to buy, LOL!

Quilt guild meets tomorrow for a sewing bee. Taking quilt blocks I finished in January so it can get assembled. Their space is nice and big so I can lay everything out on the clean floor. My New Year's Resolution is not "what will I do better next year" but "what will I get finished before the end of this year". Going to get everything packed today so I can just run out the door in the morning.

Dinner is going to be pork chops BIL left behind a few weeks ago (frozen), the salad we have left from last week, and some leftover melon. I already made DH's lunch for tomorrow, a sandwich with the last of the sliced turkey, cheese, and some leftover mini sandwich rolls I had in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
we went to see hobbs and shaw movie fun action flick. just dh and me. $80 at safeway too for wants and needs. ice cream on sale lol chicken thighs were on special so got 2 packs for the freezer. 1.99 a lb cheap here. plus frozen shrimp and sauce. was up really early so lazy day. sprinkler day so did the front. sun has come out so tomorrow I will put out the backpacks and suitcases to air out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Took three of the four grandsons out to dinner....oldest brought his girlfriend and we had a great time....it wasn't cheap but it doesn't matter....we were together and had lots of laughs....I got two five dollar meals before we left so we have dinner for tomorrow nite also....it's been too hot to cook....

I won a living room chair in an auction....it was not a cheap chair but I got it for $4!!!! We were blessed that they brought it downstairs for us and carried it to the truck...we are getting up there in age so we were so thankful. My grandson loves it....sent me a picture with him relaxing in it.....It's a chair and half...really nice....

Hopefully this will be an easy week...lab work on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Grammar- So glad you're ok from that sting! Yikes! Hope you had an EpiPen or something that can help with that type of reaction. That's a very serious thing.

I had a tumor removed from my neck and am doing ok now. My throat is quite sore from the tube that was put in there and labwork will be done this week and in the next couple of months to see how things are going. The surgeon said the scar was placed in a crease in my neck so it shouldn't show. Any ideas on reducing the scar? Maybe cocoa butter once the bandages are removed would help?

School is in session and the traffic is back to its normal wacky routine. The store has been very busy.

I need to see a podiatrist as I have a lump on the bottom of my foot and it's painful. It's under the skin and not like you can see it, but it can be felt. I put cushion gel soles in my sneakers and it helps a bit. I looked up online what it could be and it looks like metatarsalgia.

DH and DS2 went for a drive to get peaches since they're in season. They're almost gone and DS2 wants to take another trip for more. I ate 2 today and must say, they're extremely tasty.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
RJ glad to hear the surgery got done. You could probably use make-up on the scar later if you feel it's necessary.
It's hot & uncomfortable here. School starts in another week I think then the traffic will be horrible again, not looking forward to it. May try to work extra hours in the evenings this week since the weather is so poor. They say thunderstorms Tues-Thurs.
Leftovers for supper, dog club meeting tonight. I would rather be sewing.

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Rujerro, there are scar reduction creams. A friend of mine had knee and ankle surgery and his wife rubbed this cream on his scars and said it helped reduce the appearance of the scars quite a bit. I hope that scar heals up nice and clean, and soon. I hope you do not have metatarsalgia, because that can be very serious. It is why I had foot surgery 2 years ago, and had the affected bones removed. I'm wishing you a neuroma, or a pinched nerve which will go away in a few weeks if you rest. :)

School here started last week. Last year the buses would idle in front of my house before going over to the school. I hope that does not happen this year.

Supposed to get hot hot hot this week. End of summer is always like this. Hope the tomatoes get a lot of sun and start ripening. Heat advisory in effect most of the week.

Quilt guild sewing bee started an hour ago. Need to get my crap together and get moving.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
got first full night of sleep. so extra tired lol popped an allergy pill too. went to ihop w friend gave her gifts I bought back. one since we are frugal and practical...special bar soap like sunlight dutch version for stains. library and to grocery store there because chips on sale 4 for $5 so stocked up for the boys. store brand is really good and not on good sale for a while. lots of dvds on hold because my holds are active again. leftovers for dinner or the defrosted chicken soup or hotdogs they can figure it out.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Work from home day again. Terrible weather for the rest of the week, hot & storms. Glad I am not driving today at least. I have 1 armhole binding left to sew on the top so I expect to finish tonight.

·
Registered
9,631 Posts
Planning a lazy day at home today. Supposed to be very hot, with oppressive humidity and a heat advisory. I already have a headache. Have some minor house work, some packing for our trip next week, and some sewing to do.

Leftover chicken, salad, and stuffed potatoes for dinner.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Made ranch chicken and pumpkin pie today. Also did some paint-on grout in the shower and will finish tomorrow.

I've been extremely tired again and not sure why. I'll have bloodwork done tomorrow and will see MD next week. I felt better after surgery but am now exhausted again. Not sure what's causing it and chest pain.

I'll do some weed pulling and hedge trimming this weekend. Some plants are sprouting all over the ground and I like space between the ground and about a foot above the ground under the plants. So, I'll need to pull/cut those sprouts.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I dropped things off at the recycling station and thrift store yesterday. I’m gonna fold laundry and vacuum today. Having dinner with my mom and brother tonight.

I’m really sorry you have to deal with Donald Trump on a daily basis. He’s throwing a tantrum like a kid who can’t have a new shiny toy because Greenland isn’t for sale. Seriously?! First of all people isn’t for sale and selling it isn’t even possible. Greenland is autonomous, and the law clearly states only the Greenlandic people can decide if they no longer wants to be part of the Kingdom of Denmark.

981 - 1000 of 1614 Posts