Frugal Village Forums banner

2001 - 2020 of 2906 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I should probably look at what kind of oak trees are in my complex. We have a lot of acorns on the ground.

Got some done on the wool afgan. I'm about halfway through skein #7. Fortunately, it's comfortable enough to be able to work on it and not get overly hot now that it covers my legs. But it's long and heavy enough to start be slipping off my lap. I think a bit more length will make that less of a hassle.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,002
Last night I finished page 6 of the toucan. Now I just have the three pages across the bottom, but they don’t have much on them. I hope to finish it in a few days.

My pattern with the ladies has shipped. Also includes some gridded 16 count that I can’t get at 123 Stitch. I got a refund, but I can’t figure out for what. Maybe some of the shipping. It will be here next week but I don’t need any of it for quite some time. It’s stash.

I’m off in about an hour to head to town for the car appointment. Ho hum. I have a long list of errands for afterwards. I’ll see what I’m up to, if anything. Well, getting the shelf and green patterns copied is a must do. After that, I’ll have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Glad you guys are getting work done. Haven't touched the quilt all week. Have to get ready for an event this weekend and I need to go out today for errands.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am kind of interested in the sulky thread now for embroidery. It says it is equal to two threads of floss. I think that the DMC pearl cotton 8 I am using is about 3 strands of floss. It seems fairly comparable in price. The balls of pearl cotton are 95 yards. Sulky offers 50 yard spools (more per yard that the pearl cotton) and 330 yard spools (less per yard than the DMC).

The blendables (variegated colors) look interesting. There is more variety than with the DMC variegated. And it looks like there are true multicolors. As opposed to the DMC which is just one color with pale, medium and dark shades. I am also wondering how long the color repeats are. DMC has long color repeats. So if I am just doing a small patch, it is all the same color.

I think I have one of the Sulky blendables threads that is regular (sewing machine thickness). I can check what the color repeat looks like on that.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,005
On the video I was watching the woman using it for cross stitch said to her it seemed sort of between 1 and 2 strands. I want to try it for blackwork. I looked at JA today but they did not have it. Next time I order from 123 Stitch I’ll get a spool there.

You might want to look at DMC Color Variations. The colors change very frequently. I’ve used it and like it. I’m using some in the large blackwork project tucked away in the WIPs and it working up quite nicely.

https://www.123stitch.com/DMC_Color_Variations_Floss.html

I had a big day. Started with the car. General maintenance, oil change, tire rotation, inspection done for two years.

Then I treated myself to lunch out - Cane’s chicken. I think it’s overpriced but is soooo good. It was also in the middle of lunch rush - around 12:45 - and they are always fast. It was the beginning of an indulgent afternoon. I think I earned it sitting in the Toyota service waiting room for two hours. While there I got some done on the cactus cross stitch, but eventually got out the phone and that was the end of productivity.

After that I went to Office Depot to get the patterns enlarged. I really dislike the two workers they have in the print shop there. Every time I have been there for anything these two clucks are on duty. They move at funeral march pace, are absolutely humorless, take their sweet time getting around to acknowledging your presence, and always act like they cannot imagine a more galling interruption than having an actual customer. On the other hand, the work does get done eventually and the place is only a few blocks from Toyota and Canes. I had my walker so I could at least sit down while they snailed their way through the order. The enlargements are perfect so it was worth it.

Then Joann. They have just gotten some of the mobility carts so I could take my time and shop today. Shopping led to buying.

Another pile of floss, the purpose of the trip. The sale in the flyer was one of those ridiculous “price too low to show” ads. It wasn’t even posted on the floss turned out to be .40 instead of .56.

Picked up four more floss boxes, 40% off like the plastic almost always is.

I am very tired of the white/small bland print curtain on the bookcase. I decided I wanted a change, so I bought 2 yards of a stone print, 40% off. Of course I always like best the most expensive cotton in the store. But with the discount it came to about $15. Since it’s where I see it all the time, I’ll settle for that.

Two strings of beads, 60% off, and I resolutely only looked at the cheapest. Small disks and antiqued white sea turtles. Absolutely did not need.

Finally, the big splurge. I bought a large dark blue basket for the shelf project when I’m not working on it. It should have a lid, but I can put some fabric or felt over the top to help keep out the dust.

I do not approve of the newfangled summer. It was 95 in Shreveport, 92 here. It’s time for a change.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Forgot to mention former co-worker let me know her client (decorator) is cleaning out LOADS of decor fabrics. She was emailing me pics from her phone. I declined since 1) decorator fabric is really too heavy for clothing or quilting 2) client lives in DC and no way would I drive there to get it 3) don't really need more fabric!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have seen a lot of nice embroidery floss out there. I dislike separating the floss though. I prefer a solid color.

I am pretty sure that 12 wt sewing thread is the same size as size 12 pearl cotton. This did not occur to me last night, but I am pretty sure the 12 in size 12 pearl cotton means 12 wt. Pearl cotton 12 seems closer to one strand of floss to me. I use size 8 which seems close to 3 strands of floss to me. I will try posting a picture later.

Pearl cotton is slightly shiny. It is not as shiny as metallic thread. It is more like the shine you get off some silk thread or fabric.

Size 40 crochet thread is roughly the same size as size 12 pearl cotton. It is hard to find. The only brand I have seen with colors other than white/off white is the Lizbeth brand. (I have seen at at the handy hands tatting online store.) I have never bought any myself, but it is supposed to be very high quality.

Compared to pearl cotton, the crochet thread is generally cheaper per yard, but the balls are larger so they cost more than a ball of pearl cotton. I decided that since it would take me a long time to use up even the smaller balls of pearl cotton, I would not go for the larger crochet thread balls.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
For all those in the Northwest US, please be careful because it looks like a lot of potential snow is heading your way.

Got some more work done on the wool afgan last night. It's coming along slowly.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
thanks everyone. I hope so! at least next week after mil's tea. think october will be family month focus on us.. have been running errands for the tea, cleaning up stuff from mils place...was at camp so dh bought home the rest of the stuff to deal with. like things he thought weren't expired but are..by min 8 months. everything smells like old perfume or cooking oil that I can't get rid of..w sept allergies too so popping pills. sunny now after days of rain etc so showing up all the fingerprints etc. teens are as bad a 2yr olds. dh just wants all the family photos of him as a teen gone..all 70s polyester fashions for guys lol all the family portraits..said yes after the tea. kids give him a hard time. picked up all the mums too yesterday.

except for putting away craft stuff haven't done much. trying to figure out mils rhinestones just for fun. got books from library. missing a fabric book don't know if it is back at library or in the house somewhere...shouldn't be. but overdue.

have one of those pillows w arms for sitting up in bed but always fine them not high enough ..need more support in my recliner since back is squished. but it is too poofy. realized that I can just take out some of the stuffing. there is a zipper at the bottom but the pull is gone and it is stuck so will get dh to pull it back on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My mom saved 1970s kids clothes. She gave some to my son when he was around five. Horrible polyester stuff. After she left my son gave me the sad eye look and said "mommy, do I have to wear this?". I told him no.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dcomp - Love the stone material. Good choice. We got a Canes last year real close and it is addicting.
That chicken is so good and I love the lemonade.

I hope you will post a picture of the toucan when done. I loved all the colors on that project.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
haha yes dh was still wearing some of the shirts when I met him late 89 ... he said they were comfortable lol they ran instead of holes ..at least he only wore them on weekends and I fixed his warerobe. have to explain to my kids poly back then wasn't the same as now. he just found a bunch of shirts in his closet after saying he didn't have enough..just look more then 6inches down the rod... said that is because I used to rotate them long sleeve short sleeve for the season but now I don't. because he wears mostly short sleeve. he made a comment..I said because you don't have any ugly shirts now lol

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
My brother was talking about his friend retiring (around brother's age 58) and friend's hobbies basically kayaking and hiking. I said yes, easier to retire when your hobbies are not expensive, such as mine... he remarked "you mean like sewing rags together?" - which I thought was hilarious. I replied "yes, because there is an endless supply..." He knows I sewed the 2 table runners at dad's from cut-up old clothing. So sort of a reference to quilting. We were also talking about all the old sewing machines my parents had acquired, apparently there are a lot more than I realized. My task this fall/winter will be to inventory, figure out condition and if they can be sold to any type of collector. That will be interesting.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,017
I got past the last clump of real confetti stitching last night and should be able to finish the toucan today. If so I’ll get a pic up Monday or Tuesday. Of all the cross stitches I’ve done in a long life, this is definitely one of my favorites.

I ordered some of the Sulkey thread to try. 18 count is awkward. Two strands is almost too much, one is not enough, so I rarely use it. I’m hoping this will be just right. If so, I’ll start using the 18 count fabric stash, to my credit, a small one. Also if it works, I will probably do the Christmas carols pattern on it. I had bought some extra skeins of Threadworx for part of it, but I can use that for something else. I would like for that one to be a bit smaller.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
lol I have a hidden stash of sewing machines I haven't done anything with...even the treadle machine dh got me as requested. perfect condition. covered w things in the dining room at the moment. have a 100yr old carry machine dh got free on craigslist..was nailed closed. need restoring of course. plus a couple singers. one day.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Went to the quilting event on Saturday at the living history farm. I ended up sitting with the women who were demonstrating bobbin lacing. I worked on my crochet WIP that I leave in the car for stuff like this. I ordered three more skeins of the yarn (or something similar) to finish this lapgan off. I shouldn't need more. For a moment, I thought the yarn was discontinued but I found something close enough to make it work.

Once I'm done with this one, I'll go through my stash and see if I can find some more skeins of the Caron simply soft yarn in my stash. I should have enough of the light blue to make another lapgan. If not, I'll make the 'rag-bag' style. This way I can go through my stash.

Got some work done on both the vamp and brown wool afgans yesterday. I'm almost done with skein #7 and will likely finish it in the next couple of days. I will probably not need two skeins but I'll see once I get closer. If I do have one skein left over, I'll probably still use it, just so it doesn't go in the stash. If I do have two left over, I'll probably end up getting one or two more skeins and just make another wool lapgan.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My brother was talking about his friend retiring (around brother's age 58) and friend's hobbies basically kayaking and hiking. I said yes, easier to retire when your hobbies are not expensive, such as mine... he remarked "you mean like sewing rags together?" - which I thought was hilarious. I replied "yes, because there is an endless supply..." He knows I sewed the 2 table runners at dad's from cut-up old clothing. So sort of a reference to quilting. We were also talking about all the old sewing machines my parents had acquired, apparently there are a lot more than I realized. My task this fall/winter will be to inventory, figure out condition and if they can be sold to any type of collector. That will be interesting.
This is one of the big reasons I like being frugal.

So many people have expensive hobbies. I read about people who delay retirement - or don't retire at all - rather than give up the things they enjoy. I have read of people who "un-retire" (go back to work) so they can keep their expensive hobbies and leisure activities.

It is such a joy to be able to have things I like that don't cost a lot of money. I think I could be happy and and busy with $100 worth of craft supplies for the year. And if money got really tight, I could get buy for less with doing things with recycled fabric. It gives me a kind of emotional security for the future. I know that when I retire, I will be able to still do the things I love. I know that if things happen to change my financial situation for the worse, I could still do my hobbies.

It is also nice not to have to choose between my hobbies and retiring early or worse yet, between my hobbies and retiring at all.

2001 - 2020 of 2906 Posts