Frugal Village Forums banner
2601 - 2620 of 2906 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,601 ·
I got a start on the Santa and remembered another reason it was so slow. It’s dark blue 18 count. It’s almost the same color as the 820, so it’s a little easier than navy and black, but not by much. I’ve decided I’m not going to go back to the big ones until after the first of the year, but I will need something for a break from this. I pulled out another Christmas kit. The red antique car with the blue gray house and lots of snow. On white. On 16. It’s also a very easy pattern. I won’t get it finished this month but it will be a welcome change from the Santa that isn’t an easy pattern.

CH - I hope the shot gets you feeling better soon.

This is the Santa.

https://www.123stitch.com/item/Santa-Jim-Shore-Cross-Stitch-Kit/JS30-4102

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Dark blue is hard for me to work on, too. I have to have bright daylight to embroider on darks. I w pi nder if a full spectrum daylight bulb would help.

Ha! Oh, yeah it can pay to be wordy! I sure was when I was writing short fiction and paid by the word! LOL! That was some of the best money I ever made, per hour, thanks to selling almost every story I wrote. That, and sewing boots per piece. Hope you feel better, even without coffee.

Nothing more done on the bags or birdhouses, but I'm set up to work on both tomorrow. At least I got a pot of minestrine made so we have decent suppers the next couple nights.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The mystery quilts look interesting, but I do not think I would want to participate in one. Individual tastes very. What one person things is a wonderful pattern, I might think is kind of meh. If I put all that time into it, I want to be able to know up front if it is a pattern I really like.

Well, not like I have done any quilting for awhile. But it is on my retirement list. It occurs to me that between embroidery, stuffed animals and dolls, jigsaw puzzles and games I might still be too busy to get back to quilting. And that is not counting things like going to museums, the zoo, and other local attractions. I also want to get back to zentangle/drawing. I could maybe squeeze some of that in before retirement.

There is a part of me that feels like drawing and zentangle are good candidates for life long interests. They are do anywhere hobbies and are pretty cheap. I see my mother in a rest home and think of how very little space she has for her things. And I think that could be me some day. So that back of my mind thinks of hobbies I have that could take up very little space. Drawing would be one. I just need paper and a pencil or pen. In worse care scenario I could beg some off the nursing staff. I can fit quite a bit of thread into a small space. Since I do more free style embroidery, it would be feasible to work with what ever colors I have left.

I am not sure why my thought go in such a direction. My mom did not have to go into the rest home till she was over 80. I am only 51 and I eat a much healthier diet than my mom. So we are talking about maybe 30 years from now. And there are now age in place provisions to let people live in their home longer. There is also assisted living centers which are similar to rest homes except you have a whole apartment instead of a tiny room.

And it is kind of ridiculous that I am thinking about this now.

I should be focusing more on my life in the here and now, i.e. my life before retirement. I should just decide how much to contribute toward my retirement fund, then not think about retirement for a while.

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
Kathy, I agree. If it is a project I am going to put a lot of work into I want to know how it is going to turn out, and I want to be able to choose the right fabrics. This week's instructions are for more strips. Still waiting to see how it turns out. I have seen some really beautiful Mystery quilts and I have seen some that would have benefitted from one or two changes of color or placement.

Meanwhile I have enough to work on. Here is the fabric I bought yesterday. Happened upon the center "London" print in clearance. It is a very pale pink, there was just over a yard left. My nieces wanted London and Paris quilts for christmas. Well, they're not getting them but they might get pillow cases. I found the "Paris" print @40% off, and the neutral, too.

Textile Sleeve World Font Triangle

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
I've decided I want to get back to writing after Christmas. I have a first draft WIP nearly finished that has gotten positive feedback in some contests I've entered it in, so it has publication potential. I also want to rejoin RWA Kiss of Death chapter and maybe Outreach which is for those of us without a local chapter. Outreach has global membership, which makes it extra interesting. These books won't write themselves, and I've been away from writing so long I'll basically be starting from scratch because so much has changed since I was an active writer, and my network is gone, too. I think about the published writers I knew, contacts I had in the music industry and on TV shows, publishers, agents, etc, and it makes me sick now. All gone. I don't have unpubbed writer friends anymore either, or my loyal and wonderful beta readers, my critters who helped me so much and made me a better writer, the list goes on and on. It's just me, and it will be a daunting task to rebuild all that. Luckily RWA is there to help with all that. I almost dumped my membership in July, butdecided on the last day to renew. Good thing.

This means I have to clean up my office, which is so cluttered I can't even walk through it. The whole cabin needs to be purged and organized. That probaby won't happen, but it will be straightened up at least. I still don't have TV, internet, or phone out there and can't run any cables till spring, but maybe we can do something to get wireless internet out there. I have 2 cell phones I can use out there for now. Lots to do, but there always will be. I've missed being out there. It's such a great place to write and I need to take advantage again.

Got the birdhouses all done except paint. I'm waiting for some glue to dry before the paint. I might wait till Mother's Day to give them to her, or shortly before. It's unusual she mentions anything she wants, so that would be a good springtime gift. We did not plan on any Black Friday shopping but since we were there, I picked up a small electric frying pan we know she wants, and we have some other small items for Christmas, too. It would be nice to finish up the birdhouses now and have them ready, so I don't have to build or do anything right when we're ramping up our own outside work. Seems like a better plan.

Got 9 more labels pinned on bags before I got distracted by the unfinished birdhouses, but not sewed yet. Still want to finish 13 bags and the 9 labels today. I'm losing interest in the bags now that I'm about to obsess about my office, so need to get the entire DfG project done before I start out there.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I found 2 colors of floss needed for the unfinished cross-stitch, just back-stitching. Still knitting the pink hat, about 4-5" now.
Dog club is in the Alexandria VA Christmas parade tomorrow morning, it's a huge deal every year. I got a ride with another member so I don't have to drive. Parking is terrible because of the attendance. 4 adults and 2 dogs in a Camry, that should be a hoot.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,608 ·
I went to town for a grocery pick up today. Had late lunch and messed about on YouTube and just got the last of the groceries in. Tomorrow is kitchen day - dishes, putting things away, and cooking. I got a ham about a week ago that I’ve been putting off cooking. I’ll see what else to do to fill up the oven. Roasted potatoes for sure.

So now it’s time to get to real life - cross stitching.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
The parade sounds fun. Hope the dogs are small. Our dearly departed Sota ☹ was supposed to be in a parade, but we came to see him at the shelter the day before and decided to take him. The shelter director was relieved he wouldn't be in the parade, because he was so pretty she knew they'd be swamped with calls about him. He really was a gorgeous boy.

I got 12 bags sewed, ribbon put in 12, and 9 labels sewed and then those 9 bags serged. I have 12 more that just need ribbons. Hey, I didn't notice a smell from the serger today! Progress! I'm starting to really like that serger. Since I'm getting the hang of using it, about the only thing I don't like about it now is its useless light.

I was sewing away on bags today and happened to look up toward the top of my stack of flat totes, up at the ceiling. At a JA bag full of fabric. And I remembered the last batch of DfG fabric. The stuff I bought right before finding out I had to join a chapter. I knew it had seemed like I was missing some fabric, but couldn't remember what it was. I didn't recall till I saw that bag that I had stuffed it on the top tote because it wouldn't fit in its tote where it belonged, with the other DfG stuff. So I hauled it down to look it over. There's 15 freakin' yards! MY ACHIN' HEAD! Luckily only a couple yds is flannel. I might just sew the strips together and cut them, and let C do the last serging. She said she likes doing them during her TV time. She doesn't sew, only serges. The rest of it would make nice kit bags. I'm going to do that with it. I like making a few bags now and then, and I still have lots of labels and ribbon. I might make a few from it now, but most of it I'll keep to be done later. Still can't believe I couldn't remember that fabric. I bought it only a few weeks ago. Oh, well, it will work out nicely to have some bag fabric on hand.

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
LOL! I've lost a few things in my sewing room from time to time. 15 yds would be enough to back a couple of large quilts. Just sayin'.

While cleaning up today I found the christmas cross stitch kit I bought last year. You know, the one I was searching for back in October to take with me to Florida. It was on my desk, I've been staring at it all year.

I sewed 8 pinwheels today, which brings me to 31 out of the 50 I need. I'm going to need to cut a lot more triangles this weekend. Have pulled out some candidate fabric for the next lot.

Also did a little stitching. Not much to show yet, just some scattered blobs of green.

Dlr, hope you have great weather for the parade.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Yeah, but the fabric was RIGHT THERE, not hidden or anything. Gaaahhh. Some days. I know what you mean about stuff being obvious though. Happens here all the time. That, and losing something we had in our hands 5 seconds before.

I thought about quilt backing, too. But I don't have many quilt projects and have backing for at least 3 king size quilts. I'm still thinking about it, which is one reason I'm not in a hurry to make bags. But mostly it's because I'm already sick of making bags. I might quit after I finish the 9 I started today. That would give me a total of 33. Okay, you talked me into keeping it for now at least.

In a couple days we're supposed to have wind chills around -40. It's only early December. It's too early to be this cold. Good thing we like staying home.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,612 ·
SD - and here it’s been unseasonably warm. I still have all the bulbs I bought sitting in the fridge and I want them out. But with the temps still pretty consistently getting into the 70s the ground is still quite warm. The first rain they might decide it was already spring.

The Facebook cross stitch group I recently joined is full of information. I’ve learned more about the Chinese brands of floss. I had gotten some to try through Amazon or eBay and didn’t really like it, and the supposed DMC color match wasn’t. But the ones who use it like the CXC brand. I went to the review by a designer who had experimented. He found that the 100% cotton (Royal something) wasn’t colorfast and broke easily, though some stitchers really like it. The CXC, a poly cotton blend was colorfast, tended to knot, but by using shorter strands that was not a problem. It was also thicker than DMC for better coverage. The color match was good. A few were off a little but not enough to matter, and no more than DMC itself sometimes varies. It is also much cheaper, of course, than DMC. He concluded that he was still using DMC, but that both of these other brands were ok. There are also suggestions from the group of which vendors they have had good success with, where you can specify the brand and buy the colors individually, though that might run as much as .15 a skein, from a low of .08 - lol.

My conclusion: I will continue to use DMC for all my normal patterns, but I am going to try the CXC for the big full coverage patterns that take a boatload of floss. I still want to experiment with doing them in half cross, and the bit of extra thickness should help. So after the first of the year I will pick out a couple of the relatively smaller ones and order the floss to try one with half cross on 25, one on 18. In the meanwhile, I won’t run out of anything to do!

I have some qualms of conscience deliberately buying Chinese direct, and all things being equal would rather support France than China for floss. But things are not always equal and everyone has to make a living no matter where they live. Politics is one thing, but in the end, people are just people, doing their best or what they have to do. I don’t want to start a controversy and that’s all I’ll say about it.

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
It's sunny and may get into the high 40's today. DC, plant the bulbs while you can. The air might be 70 but the ground will be colder and in my experience bulbs know when it's time to bloom. The leaves might peek up early, but they will know if it is to cold to keep growing and will be just fine.

DH broke the large glass terarrium/vase I bought yesterday so we have to go back today and get another while they are half price. So goodbye sewing day, because it will take hours with two of us. He wants to cut up some more of the redbud, too, and we don't have many daylight hours to get stuff done.

It's supposed to get cold here next week, too. Fall is just about over.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The parade was fun. It was really crowded in the car. My dog rode in the rear seat footwell with me in the seat. No place to put my feet down. My muscles will let me know about that tomorrow. He did really well, jumped right in the car when asked, did not try to bolt or get away from loud noises or strange objects. One other dog (don't know the owners) barked constantly the whole time.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
I think, in a global marketplace, it's impossible to be 100% "pure" from a political standpoint when it comes to shopping. Things are too complex and sometimes it's impossible to even know where an item comes from.

Sorry about the broken terrarium, CH, but at least the sale is still good.

Glad your doggy was so well behaved, DLR. We felt the same when ours did well on our trip to IL/MO. Sometimes they can be so unpredictable especially in new situations.

I was lucky today. I thought of a piece of fabric in the middle of the night last night. I figured I could make a few bags from it, like maybe 4. I dragged it out this morning and was reminded it was 52" wide x 4-5 yds, way bigger than I remembered. I got 16 bags from it and got the labels pinned on and ready to sew.

I also put the ribbons in another 12 bags, so got 24 bagged and in the suitcase.

I cut and serged the edges of the narrow flannel strips for more liners, then cut the wider strips, pinned everything possible together, sewed them, and cut 38 liners. I bagged those and stuffed them in the suitcase for C to serge. Given all the trouble I've been having serging liners the past 6 months, I'm very done with wanting to mess with them.

I sewed the side seams on the 9 bags in progress and the casings on 1 before someone started yelling at me that it was lunch time. I haven't gotten back to those yet. Once I get those done plus the 16 I cut today, I will have 49 bags for my new chapter, a well stuffed suitcase, lots of yardage out of my sewing room, and all my own DfG fabric sewn up. Still can't believe I got so much done so fast.

My friend loves the table runner. Glad that's done, too.

Another busy day here.

·
Registered
10,351 Posts
Well, we got stuff done after all. I cut a bunch of triangles, sewed and ironed them. I need ~10 pinwheels of each kind. I think I will still have some cutting to do after I sew this batch. DH sawed up some more tree, not sure how much but he showed me a picture of some logs. Will have to figure out how to split them. Don't have an axe and don't think my joints could handle that if we did. Used to be one of my chores when I was a teen, to split wood after school. Back in the old days. It will need to dry in any case.

Glad your parade went well, Dlr.

And happy to hear your table runner was well received, SD.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,617 ·
I finished in the kitchen, cooked, ate well, and put everything away. The pans will wait until tomorrow.

I picked up the Santa, put in about 4 stitches of dark green on dark blue and thought of half a dozen things I had to do online Right Now. Sigh. That’s not the way to get it done. I put it back in a small hoop to pick up and do in hand, leaving the larger kit on the stand. It will make it more appealing to pick up and do a few strands that way. Even if they’re dark green.

Package wrapping is also on hold for tomorrow, and I have to finish the last couple of rows on the last basket.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
I used to split wood, too. That was real work. It helped that we burned cobs as kindling, so didn't need a lot of really small wood. Glad you got to work on your quilt after all.

Doesn't sound like your Santa is providing a very merry Christmas yet, D.

I was hoping to be done with DfG by Monday, but since I'm doing extra bags, I'm revising that till Wednesday. Still record speed for all I've gotten done. It's sure nice they wanted the suitcase. It's working out extremely well to put everything in for delivery.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
spirit you make me tired just reading what you do! think a mystery quilt sounds like fun..think just depends on skill levels. I did mystery crochet blanket in the spring. love seeing the cross stitch.

jettsmom..sorry about your mil. kathyb yes i think you think of it in your 50s just because time seems to fly by faster..does for me. dh cousin passed early this morning fighting cancer for years only 63. always worry because dh is almost the same age as he was when he got sick. he was a nice person. dh had a meeting today w sister and lawyers etc apparently estate is settled already. quick. kids don't get money until they are legal age. we have been fighting off colds too dd has one. so made chicken soup and carrot soup. ordered a wildlife centre about $120 things off their amazon wish list..nothing exciting but they need it garbage bags, cleaners, nuts for the wildlife etc.

family is hard at least dh has realized finally that his sister really isn't interested in us and the kids. wish she had admitted to her mom and dad years ago but she liked being catered too. she had made plans for xmas dinner with others plus is enjoying the poor me invites. (dh is her only close family now) so off the hook! not that I want her around at all. but just made my point..nothing to do with us or our actions (esp mine) because she never asked us about xmas plans. free at last now if she just would never phone again.

almost finished a scarf.. really need to work on the xmas blanket. well they don't know they are getting it so can be for anytime. just want a couple of small things for the gift box. gets rid of some yarn too.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm in decreases for the crown of the hat. Pretty sure there's enough yarn for a 2nd hat. Cross stitch finished and I put away everything I had pulled out for possible projects. I bagged 1 design and the Aida and floss (need 3 or 4 colors though) but I don't plan to start that any time soon. Lots of scraps & random stuff inherited from MIL.
I need to repair the mattress pad this week (sides and elastic), plenty of things to re-use it will just require figuring out & sewing.
WTG on the DFG stuff, SD. When do you plan to drive the stuff up there and meet everyone in person?

2601 - 2620 of 2906 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.