Frugal Village Forums banner

2241 - 2260 of 2283 Posts

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Very cold here but sunny. We had a lot of wind last night but it is calm now. Don't need to go out for anything, thankfully.

Everyone's christmas dinners sound so good. I am going to be making the cranberry fruit salad this morning. Dinner is meatloaf and german potato salad with bacon.

More housework today. Yesterday I vacuumed and cleaned the house plants. Some had dead leaves or branches, one pot had spider mites though how they get in is a mystery to me. One of my christmas cactus is blooming, the other has tiny buds. I need to check on the amaryllis, it was starting to put leaves up last week.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Happy Christmas to everyone.
I'm making Waldorf salad and sweet potatoes to go with the ham for supper. Made rolls, bread and scones from a mix yesterday. Still have not made carrot soup - tomorrow?
Probably start next cross-stitch project, I picked out floss yesterday. It is very relaxing. Got an email from the local garden center chain yesterday and the closest one is staying open all winter. That's a nice surprise. Maybe I can make some changes to the yard if the weather cooperates. Hubby took the salvaged wrought-iron bench to be sandblasted and new paint powder-coat. More expensive than I planned to do but it is his gift to me. So plan to make another nice little sitting area in the yard. Something to look forward to.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Good morning and merry christmas all. Cold! cold! cold! here. Brr! Cinnamon rolls baking and coffee waiting for DH.

Dlr, that sounds delicious, save some for me. :) I am going to thaw a piece of chicken later and make a pot of soup, and not cook afterward for a couple days. Snack plates for lunch, tuna salad with carrot and celery sticks, salami and cheese with crackers, fruit salad, and whatever else turns up. There's a lot of leftover meatloaf for tomorrow.

DH recorded a couple Hallmark christmas movies to watch this weekend. I may break out the artichoke dip and a bottle of wine later.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone....
Daughter and sil came by last night....I'm shocked my daughter was really happy with her 3 crockpot thingy....and got her a cuddle coat red buffalo plaid and she actually loved it....we had a nice visit.....
Youngest grandson came by for an hour today...had a nice visit and he liked all his gifts.....middle grandson is on way over....
We had rib eye steaks, candied yams, mac and cheese and green beans....forgot to do the salad and mushrooms...duh...steaks were good but HUGE....my steak is enough to feed another two people so hope grandson hasn't eaten and is hungry....
It's cool here and expected to get much colder....
Just watching wheel of fortune.....hope everyone stays well, healthy, and safe....
Oh I got a new computer for Christmas....husband said my old one was too slow....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Merry Christmas!
DS1 stopped by and we had a good time having dinner and opening presents. The "back-up" action figure that I gave him was something he was going to purchase yesterday. He said he couldn't get the new version. I told him that I couldn't either which is how I came across the back-up.... DS2 liked one of the legos and spent time putting it together. He also got a security chest and I have no idea where he put it but he dragged it upstairs...
We all called relatives and SIL is doing ok without BIL. She had company and made dinner.
I just got done making cookies. I wanted brownies but nobody was up for it.....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone! sounds like everyone is having a nice one. rain here and quiet though someone was setting off fireworks earlier. lots of good wishes of course. stopped at my moms for an hour or so. she was coughing a lot the last few days cus congested heart and meds don't seem to work well at the moment. she had made almond stick and tarts for us. friend came by to exchange gifts on front stairs and he gave us some steaks for xmas. nice! he got whiskey.

went out for breakfast at ihop w friend and we went to neighbours for drinks after dinner..always do but since we didn't have to go anywhere or do dinner like past we stayed for a few hours ..was fun. and her son kept ..have another so dh is a little hungover this morning..smooth rum lol he is not used to drinks. everyone liked their presents and we have a lot of goodies in the house so not baking at the moment. got lots of my favourite chocs too. cats got catnip and youngest ended up being pushed out the door midday cus fighting w older one and then they all slept it off. dh tried his massaging pad on the bed but was making him feel ill cus hungover lol he doesn't drink much at all. I made frozen appys chips etc for dinner .. today stuffed turkey breast and ham. peas corn and scalloped potatoes from a box w cheese added. no fussing w table. mom is off this year.

lol dl, we have a sm kitchen w back door and I was busy moving pans in oven etc nuking veggies..dh started coming in and I was is there a reason you need to be in here ..nope do you need help nope.. he is not a cook...so he turned around and left lol we watched xmas cartoons original grinch etc, mrs brown xmas shows, jingle jangle xmas on netflix. dh and i watched a couple of xmas horror shows our thing. have lots of hallmark and other similar cus now everyone does it now but xmas a break lol though finally original miracle on 34th street on so taped it. not xmas without it. mom told me there was some free channels again one like tcm so old movies so taping from there too.

almost midnight. vacuumed and dusted yesterday plenty of food so may to go boxing day sale or two. but want to watch new series on netflix bridgerton.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good morning. It turned really cold yesterday, we are at 22F degrees this morning. I ordered dish towels with my $5 Kohls cash. I have plenty but hate when they start looking poor. Will go pickup later, they set it up right inside door and only a few minutes wait. Not planning to cook today, just vacuum, do laundry, cross-stitch and groom the dog. Plus stop eating so much.... I hope everyone has a good weekend.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Sunny today and supposed to warm up a bit. Want to go for a walk later. We had a nice quiet day at home yesterday. Told DH I'm not cooking anything today. Plenty of leftovers in the fridge, meatloaf, soup, sliced turkey and cheese for sandwiches, fruit salad.

Watched the first episode of Bridgerton last night. Lots of fun if you like that sort of thing, but be warned there are sex scenes. If you read the book you know this, if you are unfamiliar with the genre, now you know what to expect. But it was tastefully done, not too shocking.

Making a shopping list, will need milk tomorrow or Monday. A few things on sale, and might go by Aldi and the drugstore to see what is marked down. Don't need any candy, cookies or crap, but may find gift sets or candles.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good morning. Going to dad's house, supposed to help brother move stuff around in the workshop. House has been mostly cleared except for furniture, rugs, paintings, lamps, just waiting for auctioneer. Shop is a different matter, masses of stuff. Brother has to decide and separate everything out - keep, sell, trash. Unfortunately he has hoarding tendencies and ignoring my suggestions that he buy his own storage shed or rent a moving/storage trailer. He also thinks he may sell stuff but so far has not had much success and it would likely take forever. Will see what happens today, fingers crossed some progress is made. Have a good day.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Sounds like a busy day for you Dlr. I hope you make some good progress cleaning up and clearing out junk.

Quiet and grey here, last day of "holiday" for DH. About 50 out now but supposed to get cold this afternoon. Big trash pick up day on Tues so I am going to try and fill a bag just going room to room and collecting paper and the small waste baskets. Want to get as much out as possible. Got another box of donations to put in my car to be dropped off later.

May look at some online sales later, but really don't need more stuff. DH says he wants new clothes, but since he doesn't have to leave the house for work there is no urgency.

We're almost out of milk so I have to make a grocery store trip, and will see if there is any holiday clearance yet. My local store is closing soon, I don't think they have set a date, but I noticed they have been keeping stock pretty light lately.

Baked fish and french carrots for dinner, maybe rice if we're hungry.

Hope everyone has a good day.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Chilly here today and wind is blowing....it was blowing so hard it was hitting my screen on my bedroom window....sounded like someone was trying to rip the screen off....husband went out and tightened it....by this time I was awake so got up....read the paper which had nothing in it....

Son, dil, and grandson came by last night to have pizza and open their gifts....hopefully they liked everything....as you know, dil is different....gave her a real cute snuggly cape....I thought it had sleeves but it was a cape instead....offered her one that had sleeves but she liked the cape so hopefully she will wear it...they both like the beach picture I gave them....he said he had his dad over for Christmas dinner....you talk about karma, I've seen it....his dad left me and kids when kids were 17 and 20....never looked back....kids hadn't heard or seen him in years....all of a sudden, he is back in town...alone, broke, sick, living in a third floor apartment...I don't feel sorry for him....I pity him as he lost so much...doesn't even know my daughters three children...he missed so much....but, that was his choice....now, he is living with the consequences....daughter said she lived without him for 30 years she doesn't need him now but son wants his dad in his life so that's his choice and I understand....I say nothing bad about him....I always ask how he is doing and say hope he is feeling better....I let go of the hate years ago...it was too heavy of a burden to carry....I'm much happier now....

Oldest grandson and family will be here today to open gifts...then all I have is to drop off gifts for a little girl I know who lives about an hour outside of town...will do that sometime next weekend....we will just drop off and wave to her....she is six I believe....

Two of my young friends came by yesterday and dropped of gifts....one was a t-shirt and pj bottoms, a survivor cup, and a pink drinking glass..really cute...
the other friend gave me framed pictures of the kids....we stood outside and talked a few minutes.....I really miss not being able to hug my friends....it's hard for us who love people and love to talk....as you all probably notice....my posts are always long....lol

Today will be leftovers....
Hope everyone is well and happy....have a great day....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ugh, came home and had to change clothes - so dirty. Sorting and moving stuff and finally sweeping some of the cleared floor space at the end. Woodworking shop so lots of sawdust and dirt. And a mummified mouse. Brother needs to make trips to dispose of trash. Basically 5 hours on my feet plus 3 hours driving. I brought home a load of trash, paper to be recycled and clothing/linens to be donated. Back again on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Dlrcpa- Cleaning a home is exhausting. When mom passed, there were 3 of us kids there. All 3 from out of state and 2 of us flew. We literally had to get rid of everything of hers and her dog. In 4 days. Luckily, our brother went on Craigslist and gave away all of her furniture. My sis found a friend to take her dog. We gave away her frozen foods to another friend who had a granddaughter. It worked out well. Hang in there.

I made some mashed potatoes and gravy to go with DH's smoked chicken for dinner. I'll stop by Target today to pick up enchilada sauce and make those for dinner. The supermarkets have been out of stock of enchilada sauce for 6+ months. Strange.

I picked up a few ingredients to make gingerbread cake. DS2 loves gingerbread and I've never made it before. I hope it comes out. I think I'll use a recipe from "Sally's baking addiction."

I have laundry and dishwasher going. It's never ending.....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ruj glad you had help when you needed it. My brother is a pain and honestly now I see why dad always made a sour face when I mentioned brother could do this or that. He just doesn't do it or makes a lot of negative remarks that don't help anything.
Gingerbread was one of dad's favorites and I really like it as well, easy to make.
Less cold today but breezy. Supper will be something with ham. I want to organize some sewing projects and pull all the materials together. Can't find some ribbon that I know I have. I hope all are well.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Got my second shingles shot yesterday and I didn’t sleep well last night. My arm is swollen and my joints hurt along with my head. Have to go to post office and pick an address change form for DD. Need to deliver some empty pill bottles to a friend of mine to use to hold Bobby pins, and need to hit Dollar General. Suppose to rain and get cold tomorrow. Going to make a blueberry coffee cake and probably chicken spaghetti tonight.

2241 - 2260 of 2283 Posts